• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Enterbrain reported that 3DS had the highest November ever in Japan (the week of Mario Kart belongs to December). 85% of 3DS November software sales were Mario Land.

85% of the software in top30, right?
So, in top30, 3DS sold 638.637 units of software

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The exact opposite was happening. Where did you read that? Everyone was suggesting for reservation in order to get a copy at launch.

who is "everyone" ??

let me dig out - i usually rely on the wifes updates, but the last "get your reservations in" i saw was when capcom cut the number of units at launch down. Incidently - a couple of days after the announcment , Sofmap, yodobashi, bic all ceased preorder taking. I agree with the advice but that's demand vs availability post cut, which is -slightly- different

That... seems off. In the four month period of October 30 - November 26, 2006 (closest match to this year's October 31 - November 27), Famitsu has DS selling 541,147.
mc

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It doesn't say it in the link explicitly: it just says that 3DS hardware was #1 for 6 straight months.

Has any hardware sold more than 416,000 units in November?

Ah yes, misread. DS could have the record, I don't have the database open.

DCharlie

Eh, almost no releases, except for Mario and DQ. No valuable releases

don't you be dissing Crayon Shinchan now!

(I'll get it but not until it lowers in price, though i'm basing that on the game being the same quality as the DS games...)

Kunio Kun next week as well i think? Preordered :/

I wonder where my 3DS games tally will sit year end

cvxfreak

don't you be dissing Crayon Shinchan now!

(I'll get it but not until it lowers in price, though i'm basing that on the game being the same quality as the DS games...)

Kunio Kun next week as well i think? Preordered :/

I wonder where my 3DS games tally will sit year end

Looking forward to a Twitter pic of a mountain of 3DS games about to be sold in Akiba in 2016.

DCharlie

lol, i think i can accomodate that already - i've already sold off a load of launch games and i still have , um, -an amount- of 3DS games.

I'm actually fairly good with portable stuff - i cull down, but i tend to keep most stuff. My culls tend to wipe out the -real- retro stuff , that's what the current one is doing anyways.

(though i am looking to erradicate my GBA , GB, GBC library if anyone is interested ;) )

Jonnyram

Someone must have hacked your acount, there is no other explanation. It's not only *you* and others that expect these from MH3G. Retailers for months now say that people buy 3DS with no software in anticipation of MH3G and December releases, even Media Create has said that at some reports.

We knew from last Thursday that 3DS would get a big boost.

Yeah, and it was retailers that ended up with piles of unsold Monster Hunter Tris and Ni no Kunis, forced into slashing the price just to clear stock.

In the end, MH3G is shipping 420k, we have been told, and I don't hear anyone saying there isn't a large enough shipment to fulfil retailers' demands. So do they expect it to sell a million? You tell me.

Road

Sony's brief moment of leading the Japanese software market again.

Software unit sales from Nov 2011 to Oct 2010 (Enterbrain):

05hha0c.jpg

Software Sales (million units):

PSP - 17.26
PS3 - 10.75
PS2/PS1 - 0.21
Others - ~24 million

Overall - ~52 million

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111205_496050.html

I think now is when the Sony party should avoid Japanese sales thread for the foreseeable future, at least until near the launch of the PS4.

cvxfreak

Yeah, and it was retailers that ended up with piles of unsold Monster Hunter Tris and Ni no Kunis, forced into slashing the price just to clear stock.

In the end, MH3G is shipping 420k, we have been told, and I don't hear anyone saying there isn't a large enough shipment to fulfil retailers' demands. So do they expect it to sell a million? You tell me.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't, as they say.

Last year, retailers HAD to order Ni no Kuni in droves because when it sold out, restocks would have taken too long and the holiday season would have ended, right?

Jonnyram

Damned if they do, damned if they don't, as they say.

Last year, retailers HAD to order Ni no Kuni in droves because when it sold out, restocks would have taken too long and the holiday season would have ended, right?

The same is true for any cartridge-based software in the holiday season, including MH3G, so we'll see if they see the other side of that equation this year.

DCharlie

restocks would have taken too long and the holiday season would have ended, right

well, it's going to be interesting to see how big the second phase of MH stock is.

I wonder what the driver actually is for going low? I don't believe "Plastic shortage" for a second, and i wonder if it's to do with 3rd party cart costs? Obviously Nintendo have no worries there so can flood the bejesus out of Mario KArt 7 (the day that came out was a nice throw back to full on game insanity with everyone queued up after work holding a copy of the game).

well, it's going to be interesting to see how big the second phase of MH stock is.

I wonder what the driver actually is for going low? I don't believe "Plastic shortage" for a second, and i wonder if it's to do with 3rd party cart costs? Obviously Nintendo have no worries there so can flood the bejesus out of Mario KArt 7 (the day that came out was a nice throw back to full on game insanity with everyone queued up after work holding a copy of the game).

So are you still in with your 800k prediction?

DCharlie

I think 800k by end of december is a total lock because i'm not even sure Capcom can ship that many units , so lets say by end of January so it's at least got a good enough run at retail.

DCharlie

yup, 3-DSJaggie limping for it's nest late jan, PSP/PSV 4thP announcement around that time frame as the final trap + G bomb finisher, triggering bombs with kick for extra humiliation.

;)

Michan

It'll be interesting to see how long Mario Kart can stay above 100k, seeing as the 3DS LTD is still relatively low. With Kart, Mario, and MonHun, 3DS sales should be healthy for quite a while now.

The real question is: next year, will Nintendo top this Christmas?

Some notes:

* Wii U will most likely be available;
* The updated mainline Pokémon re-releases have historically hit in September or December. Pokémon Grey is yet to come;
* Animal Crossing Wii did terribly, but Animal Crossing DS kick-started the DS' "rise to heaven";
* Smash Bros. 4 will be released for Wii U and 3DS. Smash Bros. games release early into a console's lifecycle;
* It will have been three years since Monster Hunter 3 released. Will Monster Hunter 4 be ready to ship?
* Third parties will have had an opportunity to prepare software, but will there be any system-sellers or sleeper hits?
* PS Vita will have a stronger software library, and could be a little more feisty;
* New colours can only provide a temporary boost to sales;
* The DS Lite released less than 1.5 years after the original DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would love a new Jump Ultimate title on WiiU/3DS - but with Smash Bros IV being multiplattform this probably wont happen. I expect 3DS Smash to release before the WiiU game.

Jokeropia

3DS is beasting now.
Looks like people are ok with buying the same franchise over and over again for like, 20-25 years.

Pretty depressing.
Haha, you're so bitter that you couldn't muster up even a superficially coherent troll. 3DS succeeding in spite of your hopes and dreams must be killing you.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
yup, 3-DSJaggie limping for it's nest late jan, PSP/PSV 4thP announcement around that time frame as the final trap + G bomb finisher, triggering bombs with kick for extra humiliation.

;)

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Boney

Banned
That's a pretty explosive start for Mario Kart. Well with the big rise of 3DS hardware and Mario's big opening I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am.

MH will probably do an even bigger 1st week, pretty crazy.

Spiegel

So it looks like that 3DS will have as many millionsellers as PSP got in its entire lifetime within 3DSs first year (give or take a month).

Doubtful. Unless Nintendo releases Animal Crossing before March

- If you count game and best reedition as one, psp has 4 million sellers (MHP, MHP2, MHP2G and MHP3)

- If you count game and best reedition as separate releases, psp has 4 million sellers (MHP2, MHP2G, MHP2G the best and MHP3)

Doubtful. Unless Nintendo releases Animal Crossing before March

- If you count game and best reedition as one, psp has 4 million sellers (MHP, MHP2, MHP2G and MHP3)

- If you count game and best reedition as separate releases, psp has 4 million sellers (MHP2, MHP2G, MHP2G the best and MHP3)

So what you're saying is the psp has 4 million sellers?

So it looks like that 3DS will have as many millionsellers as PSP got in its entire lifetime within 3DSs first year (give or take a month).

Within its first year there'll just be 3, though nintendogs will get there eventually and ocarina has a chance of limping to a million in a year or two if it gets much of a bump this xmas

Chris1964 said:
85% of 3DS November software sales were Mario Land.
That's horrible...
I don't think it's accurate, at least among all software sales. SM3DL for the 4 weeks of November should be something like 550K? If that's 85%, the other 15% is about 97K. But in the first week of November alone, just the other four 3DS games that made the Top 30 sum up to 64K. The second week, the two other 3DS games in the Top 30 sum up to 20K. The third week there's only one other in the Top 30, at 7K. Maybe SM3DL makes up 85% of the apparent Top 30 sales for the month.

Top Bottom