• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2015 (Nov 23 - Nov 29)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
12342300_181840562163004_5993547633356640564_n.jpg

millions :p

Guymelef

Monster Hunter is still developed under PSP environment, when they have to upgrade for something technically competent maybe Capcom will go multi platform to save costs.

Busaiku

Dragon Quest XI is multiplatform because Mr. Horii wanted to make it in PS4. SE probably would've been ok with just a 3DS release.
Monster Hunter doesn't really have anyone like that behind it, so it's a more corporate-based product, that sticks to the safer choices.

Eolz

Dragon Quest XI is multiplatform because Mr. Horii wanted to make it in PS4. SE probably would've been ok with just a 3DS release.
Monster Hunter doesn't really have anyone like that behind it, so it's a more corporate-based product, that sticks to the safer choices.

Isn't MonHun (the main series I mean) actually having someone pretty influential and hard-headed deciding that?
Of course I think corporate has a bigger role there, but thought that was still the case.

Vena

What meaningful fracturing is happening if essentially everyone is buying the game on your system anyway though?

Very little, you are certainly right.

Could you give some examples of games publishers have paid for that fit this scenario?

Examples of buying up a project for your console that become "get it here and only here"? Bayonetta 2 seems like an obvious example. RE4? Dead Rising? SFV? FFVIIR (though we have no idea what is even going on there outside of timing)? Shenmue 3? Every single X360 early years jRPG? Sure, they weren't getting bought out to prevent them in general from appearing elsewhere in a scenario where the elsewhere was guaranteed to bomb but they were bought/paid for to have for you and only you (as in the platform holder) as a marketing product. This is really what the crux of my argument is for what Nintendo stands to gain or benefit from.

But "You want to play it on a home console? Play it on the NX." is a worthless selling point to have unless we agree that a home console version is actually appealing in the first place.

It is still a strong IP and can still move a few hundred thousand even on consoles as history has shown... though on considerably more successful consoles sans the "adequate" quote performance of MH3U on the WiiU (and that came with the caveat of being woven into complimentary co-habitation online with the handheld). I think for Capcom that hypothetical 8:1 ratio is a waste on RoI but to Nintendo, who have already been struggling with home consoles and making their product standout in that regard, securing an exclusive like this not only for their handheld but for their entire ecosystem doesn't seem farfetched.

In general (or a handheld-only scenario), I would see it as a play of simply securing a strong IP to themselves and only themselves.

I may be misjudging things and I may be misguided in my estimations or expectations of how effective that would be in an business argument, but this is simply what seems logical to me. Perhaps, as you say, it really is a pointless venture for Nintendo (and certainly Capcom) to pursue in a scenario of 8:1.

Oregano

FF7 on NX is a sure thing at this point, and yes I'm basing this on Cloud in Smash, and yes I know it got Snake before w'o MGS4 on the Wii.

Well to give a more relevant, current example Street Fighter V is PS4 exclusive despite Ryu's being in Smash Bros.

FF VII on NX.

Could you explain your reasoning? I'm honestly interested to know.

What meaningful fracturing is happening if essentially everyone is buying the game on your system anyway though?

Could you give some examples of games publishers have paid for that fit this scenario?

But "You want to play it on a home console? Play it on the NX." is a worthless selling point to have unless we agree that a home console version is actually appealing in the first place.

Whilst I fundamentally agree with you it would be a pretty bad look for Nintendo if its biggest games are shared with the PS4(or other systems) but not vice versa.

Sterok

I was honestly anticipating Final Fantasy Remake on NX well before Cloud was announced for Smash. Ever since Dragon Quest was announced for NX. Square obviously wants the NX to be a viable place for big JRPGs, we already know it's not exclusive, by the time it's out the NX will have been out for at least a year, it'll probably be on an engine that allows it to be easily ported (assuming the NX doesn't have something stupid going on), and there's no reason Square wouldn't want it everywhere that can run it and has a chance of selling. There's still plenty to be revealed, but I'm expecting most of Square's big far-out Japanese games to be NX bound eventually. Cloud in Smash is just the cherry on the top.

On another note, does Etrian Odyssey V still not have a confirmed platform?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was honestly anticipating Final Fantasy Remake on NX well before Cloud was announced for Smash. Ever since Dragon Quest was announced for NX. Square obviously wants the NX to be a viable place for big JRPGs, we already know it's not exclusive, by the time it's out the NX will have been out for at least a year, it'll probably be on an engine that allows it to be easily ported (assuming the NX doesn't have something stupid going on), and there's no reason Square wouldn't want it everywhere that can run it and has a chance of selling. There's still plenty to be revealed, but I'm expecting most of Square's big far-out Japanese games to be NX bound eventually. Cloud in Smash is just the cherry on the top.

Completely disappeared since last year, not at TGS, no word about it. The more time passes, the more I think (if it was ever pitched for 3DS), that Atlus decided to go the Layton-and-the-Miracle-Mask route for Etrian Odyssey V.

Hemm... Well, well... there is Cloud in Smash... and... hemm... could in Smash?

I'm of the same mind and it's what I immediately thought of when Cloud was announced for Smash.

FFVIIr was announced as first on PS4. Combined with Cloud in Smash, I think it's heavily pointing in that direction. And to be honest, FFVIIr being PS4/PC/NX seems like a far more viable platform choice to me then PS4/XB1/PC.

Or it could just be PS4/PC.

Nah, Atlus haven't said a peep of EOV ever since they unveiled it, including any platform mention.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Well, I believe he's talking about a double bind situation, Either Nintendo really doesn't care about the PS4 port since it's unlikely to sell and capcom seems less enthused about Multiplats in general and thus won't release. Or for whatever reason Nintendo deemed MH on consoles as a threat they moneyhat a fairly cheap probably exclusive. Essentially it has a very low chance of happening due a low chance MH releasing in both scenarios.

Though chances are if Capcom wanted to, there's be very little resistance from Nintendo but MH4G has shipped 1 million world wide, even in the most optimistic of scenarios it's unlikely a console version would sell meaningfully more (and probably much less), without significant investment to ensure it's up to par with PS4 AAA games. So I doubt capcom will go that route, most likely they'll want to continue to push and grow their western portable fanbase, which the've actually seen some success from.

Sterok

Completely disappeared since last year, not at TGS, no word about it. The more time passes, the more I think (if it was ever pitched for 3DS), that Atlus decided to go the Layton-and-the-Miracle-Mask route for Etrian Odyssey V.

I've been wondering that myself. EOV in particular interests me more than other potential NX games due to the implications it brings. That series relies heavily on dual screens, and if it's NX bound it implies NX will also have dual screens. But it's still in the speculatory stage just like MHXG and YW3.5 on NX.

Vena

Sitting back and thinking on the discussion more, I do start to see potential cracks in my view that are overtly rigid in the scenario I prescribed. Particularly in the catch-22 I seemed to have put the console port vs. need to keep it from existing.

Still, I do think that in a nominal scenario Nintendo would generally like to keep their strong IPs exclusive, especially in their waned 3rd party support position. That to me just seems like a logical step for a company that attempts to keep its product as the desirable one in a competitive environment.

Of course, ultimately, its Capcom's property.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wait, are we being serious about the FVIIR on NX thing...?
-_-

We were given two pretty unlikely scenarios (MH5 on PS4 or FF7R on NX) and asked which was more likely. Folks said FF7R on NX of the two because Cloud in Smash and DQ11 seems to be on both PS4/NX. That's all. Honestly I think MH has a great home on portables and likely won't be trying to being multiplat on consoles (although maybe PC could be interesting) (looking at how badly the other hunting games are doing on PS4), whereas FF7R on NX (if it's portable) could actually have some added sales benefit in Japan at least.

hiska-kun

Media Create Monthly Hardware Sales 2015
Code:
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|January|   326.739|   125.809|   107.999|    63.623|    48.930|     1.981|   675.081|
|  Feb. |   168.806|    82.453|   111.015|    26.200|    27.845|     2.513|   418.832|
| March |   125.971|    89.763|   159.420|    28.726|    27.870|     1.346|   433.096|
| April |   130.845|    89.803|    99.936|    50.572|    22.343|     1.852|   395.311|
|  May  |    75.340|    53.883|    51.849|    42.889|    13.011|     1.165|   238.137|
| June  |   100.082|    59.044|    50.917|    65.364|    10.929|       772|   287.108|
| July  |   166.908|    71.087|    94.612|    57.784|    14.524|     1.023|   405.938|
| August|   158.454|    56.260|    66.156|    52.657|    11.135|       723|   345.385|
| Sept. |   118.434|    61.266|    85.495|    65.180|    10.486|     1.356|   342.217|
|October|   115.377|    75.214|   147.130|    55.183|     9.962|     2.408|   405.274|
|  Nov. |   225.723|    54.540|   116.403|    62.796|     6.734|     2.829|   469.025|
|  Dec. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Total | 1.712.679|   819.122| 1.090.932|   570.974|   203.769|    17.959| 4.415.435|

Media Create Hardware 2014
Code:
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
|January|   359.838|   179.915|         -|    93.296|    95.633|         -|   728.682|
|  Feb. |   158.188|    77.994|   374.839|    32.573|    43.604|         -|   687.198|
| March |   174.150|   141.999|   118.499|    38.435|    58.839|         -|   531.925|
| April |   149.153|   119.383|    65.029|    32.467|    40.622|         -|   406.654|
|  May  |   106.500|    61.528|    29.323|    42.665|    29.510|         -|   269.526|
| June  |   117.040|    65.678|    32.929|    47.383|    26.944|         -|   289.974|
| July  |   203.875|   133.293|    32.758|    45.903|    36.443|         -|   452.272|
| August|   166.056|    77.905|    24.808|    49.328|    23.017|         -|   341.114|
| Sept. |   143.155|    57.072|    47.894|    32.757|    24.326|    31.116|   336.320|
|October|   563.864|    57.552|    44.941|    28.376|    25.302|     3.811|   723.846|
|  Nov. |   339.588|    70.605|    51.534|    40.900|    19.061|     4.771|   526.459|
|  Dec. |   695.148|   125.646|   148.113|   134.067|    36.016|     3.569| 1.142.559|
| Total | 3.176.525| 1.168.570|   970.667|   618.150|   459.317|    43.267| 6.436.496|

Ōkami

Gonna update this

Top 10 Best Selling Games for the year so far, Famitsu, retail only.
  1. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad: 1.655.528
  2. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 1.542.104
  3. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer: 1.150.500
  4. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King*: 854.258
  5. [WIU] Splatoon: 819.940
  6. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shinuchi*: 604.748
  7. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conques*t: 529.231
  8. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+*: 505.654
  9. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woes and The Blight Below*: 453.142
  10. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D*: 439.268
11. [WIU] Super Mario Maker: 433.684

* Data not up to date.

It's likely that just like last year all best selling games will be on Nintendo consoles.

I just spent the last 3 hours playing Splatoon for the first time and honestly, I don't understand how it became such a big hit with kids in Japan.

The game is a full 3D shooter with X and Y camera control, lots of stuff going on and buttons to press... like, what the fuck. Weren't they having problems with Mario Galaxy just some years ago? D:

Sandfox

I just spent the last 3 hours playing Splatoon for the first time and honestly, I don't understand how it became such a big hit with kids in Japan.

The game is a full 3D shooter with X and Y camera control, lots of stuff going on and buttons to press... like, what the fuck. Weren't they having problems with Mario Galaxy just some years ago? D:

I think kids are more capable then you are giving them credit for.

"Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that "Monster Hunter X (Cross)" for the Nintendo 3DS family of handheld systems has shipped two million units in Japan (including download cards and sales of the download version in the Nintendo eShop.)

The "Monster Hunter" series is a hunting action game that pits players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first "Monster Hunter" title made its debut in 2004, the series has expanded beyond games into other media, and overall has grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 35 million units as of December 3, 2015.

"Monster Hunter X (Cross)" is a new title that offers players greater possibilities for carrying out their own style of hunting. Utilizing the world and gameplay of previous entries as a starting point, the game is distinguished by its high level of freedom with new elements like Hunter Arts and Hunting Styles, which can be combined with 14 kinds of weapons to create a myriad of fresh ways to play.

Further, as a result of maintaining user interest via numerous cross-industry collaborations, the title hit the two million mark just six days following its release.

In addition to continuing to release add-on contents moving forward, Capcom is rolling out a number of initiatives with the aim of improving the long-term brand value of the series, including plans to implement the third update to its card arcade game machine "Monster Hunter Spirits" in late December, the release of a new title called "Monster Hunter Stories" (scheduled for 2016 in Japan), as well as the television broadcast of the first animated "Monster Hunter" in Japan.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by making the most of its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining games."

Source: gonintendo

Apparently with downloads, Monster Hunter X is already at 2 million.

Source: http://capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151203.html

Capcom said:
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that "Monster Hunter X (Cross)" for the Nintendo 3DS™ family of handheld systems has shipped two million units in Japan (including download cards and sales of the download version in the Nintendo eShop.)

The "Monster Hunter" series is a hunting action game that pits players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first "Monster Hunter" title made its debut in 2004, the series has expanded beyond games into other media, and overall has grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 35 million units as of December 3, 2015.

"Monster Hunter X (Cross)" is a new title that offers players greater possibilities for carrying out their own style of hunting. Utilizing the world and gameplay of previous entries as a starting point, the game is distinguished by its high level of freedom with new elements like Hunter Arts and Hunting Styles, which can be combined with 14 kinds of weapons to create a myriad of fresh ways to play.

Further, as a result of maintaining user interest via numerous cross-industry collaborations, the title hit the two million mark just six days following its release.

In addition to continuing to release add-on contents moving forward, Capcom is rolling out a number of initiatives with the aim of improving the long-term brand value of the series, including plans to implement the third update to its card arcade game machine "Monster Hunter Spirits" in late December, the release of a new title called "Monster Hunter Stories" (scheduled for 2016 in Japan), as well as the television broadcast of the first animated "Monster Hunter" in Japan.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by making the most of its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining games.

Edit: Ah, someone got it before me. Well, sourced the origin of the press release.

Tadaima

Assuming it can surpass Monster Hunter somehow.

A lot of kids want this game (Splatoon) for Christmas. Monster Hunter usually has very good first week sales and is quite leggy. We'll probably see very strong third and fourth week sales. Splatoon will have more of the "Nintendo Christmas" effect, though, which could push it above MonHun's strong third/fourth weeks.

I actually think the threat comes more from Mario Maker than Monster Hunter.

Vena

So. They aren't interested in trying a big ps4 only game?

I thought the series started off as a ps2 game.

Obviously end be less profit but would have a chance to go bigger in the west

Why would they do such a thing unless they have a hatred for money? The series sells ~3x as much as Tri (on the Wii no less) with individual handheld entries. Nevermind how much it would cost them to make it.

They're already on a platform with a strong western presence, "the west" isn't some sort of magical property of the PS4.

Also we're now multiple years of NPDs/PAL Charts in, and the west isn't exactly showing itself to be a resounding field of success in the console space for Japanese games.

Mory Dunz

So. They aren't interested in trying a big ps4 only game?

I thought the series started off as a ps2 game.

Obviously end be less profit but would have a chance to go bigger in the west

Do we know that?

MH4U just did over 1 million in the west. How much more would we expect from the PS4 one?

Do we know that?

MH4U just did over 1 million in the west. How much more would we expect from the PS4 one?
No we don't and to the guy above asking why. Monster hunter ain't that big when compared to fallout or something.

We don't know that. And of didn't have a. If chance on ps3 either.

I agree with you and it's why I think they should sink a bigger budget and make an impressive looking ps4 Game.I would have expected interest as well and currently I have very little in 3DS.

I think switching a main line game to Pa4 is a good idea. Can always be ported down later and make a million plus on nx later as well. But if it sold really well I figure they would just do another ps4 version.

Sandfox

No we don't and to the guy above asking why. Monster hunter ain't that big when compared to fallout or something.

We don't know that. And of didn't have a. If chance on ps3 either.

I agree with you and it's why I think they should sink a bigger budget and make an impressive looking ps4 Game.I would have expected interest as well and currently I have very little in 3DS.

The main appeal of the series is built into how the games are portable and Capcom tried the big budget action RPG thing with Dragon's Dogma.

Top Bottom