• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

zeromcd73

cfb9ca0dfe090206203e95e387a52f14.jpg
From tonight's live-stream. Apparently a different Inazuma game (companion app?) in development for phones.

MacTag

Banned
The idea that third parties haven't announced their support for the platform as much due to this event doesn't sit well with me, especially when some cases have been shown.
Lots of companies have announced support for the platform, they're just not talking about specific titles yet in most cases. Level 5 included.

For specific Japanese games the only official announcements so far are Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Nobunaga's Ambition and Sonic 2017. Via reliable leak sources we also know about The Silver Case HD and potentially Dark Souls III/Trilogy.

Aki-at

Sony ended up cancelling the Korean release because of the game's content. I'm not sure it'll get approved elsewhere.

Yeah I saw this and forgot to mention it, considering how close it was to release this must be a massive blow for Sega. I'd imagine they were quite far along with it too considering how it even had commercials too.

I'm not sure how much screen time the triads get but Sega have changed character models and the like for Chinese sensitivity before in Yakuza Kiwami I believe, so I think they'll be more careful in how they handle their presence.

what was in it that warranted this?

Speculation was it had a negative protrayal of Koreans.

hiska-kun

I remember lots of games being price slashed during Obon, not only Yo-kai Watch. It's nothing unusual.

And the first shipment was sold out waaaay before the double pack announcement, and relativity soon after release too.

First shipment: 1 million copies
Release: week 28
Sold 1 million copies: week 32
Double pack announcement: week 41

You are right with the first shipment. It was just one million. The problem was the additional shipment recieved on July 18th (3 days after the release), that made the total shipment over 1.3M.
Just check this post, Media Create reported 500k unsold copies by second week.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211794183

And not just MC, if you check Famitsu sell-through, you can calculate that YW3 shipment was over 1.31M for them as well. Remember that over means more, not necessary the exact number.
The game just reached the 1.3M mark a few weeks ago, and now it's been discounted. Surely there aren't so many copies left at the moment, but still from July 18th it hasn't recieved extra shipments lol

Also, slashing price during Obon is normal for an old release, but not for a new game.

____

FFXV now 39% off on Amazon. What's going on with this changes?

Yokai Watch 3 was also being discounted. I would love to live in your reality where Yokai Watch didn't underperform at retail.
Those fabled discounts were never proven true. I welcome you to prove them now, just like I asked for proof many times in the past. The only time it was discounted was during Obon.

On the other hand, I posted many times proof that Yokai Watch was being sold at full price (regular 20% discount). I can show you receipts if you want me to.

Shahed

You can always tell when someone desperately wanted it to fail.
Sometimes I feel like people want certain games to fail purely because it's on Playstation and not on a Nintendo platform and vice versa. I mean how childish and pathetic can you get? I just don't understand why people behave and act in that manner. The straight up fanboys I don't mind so compared to the ones that beat around the bush and make sly off hand comments here and there. Then there's the silly PS console warriors gloating at how poor Xbox may do in certain cases and laugh at the general incompatibility with Japanese software/audience.

What my life would be like if people didn't let bias compromise their judgement and ability to remain as objective and reasonable as possible.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm tired of this thread constantly bashing FFXV

Really? I think most here are super disappointed seeing pretty much everything do worse and worse here. FFXV doing badly sadly pretty much puts the nail in the coffin on the PS4's future. It'll likely plod along like the PS3, sell worse than it, and have its franchises continually decline. That's depressing as hell from what was supposed to be the "healthy" market leader and has a large portion of 3rd party support.

Persona did better (yay), and Minecraft still exists but this year

Youkai Watch 3 disappointed (the seemingly unstoppable force of 2-3 years ago possibly burned out already... hope it at least stays a million seller in the future...)
Monster Hunter Stories disappointed
FFXV sold much worse than the controversial FFXIII
Pokemon Sun/Moon seems similar to X/Y thus far, but that already declined from previous titles...

Seriously it just looks like largely disappointment after disappointment. From what I can tell, even titles that are actually better than previous entries aren't exempt from this either.

Out of curiosity, why are game prices in Japan so high compared to what they seem to be elsewhere?

FFXV is just the most recent big thing to talk about. The only reason it's getting dog piled on is because it's not good. All the negative arguments about it would be at least somewhat deflated if the quality was there.

All these talk about FFXIII makes me want to actually play it. I didn't even skip because of the bad word of mouth, I skipped it because I didn't want a PS3 until KHIII came out, which never happened.

random25

It probably says something when people take Nibel's parody post seriously.

FF fans here are basically shook af that it's hard to believe that the once touted to save Japanese gaming has bowed down to the harsh reality of the market. As a FF fan myself, I pretty much accepted its fate long ago that I even lowballed it hard in predictions lol.

L~A

FFXV now 39% off on Amazon. What's going on with this changes?

Amazon prices are adjusted automatically, based on some rather complex algorithms that makes little to no sense to normal humans. I honestly wouldn't think too much about it, unless it suddenly shows up at 80% off or something.

It probably says something when people take Nibel's parody post seriously.

First Chris, then Nibel... come on ZSaberLink, you can do better than that! ;)

FFXV is just the most recent big thing to talk about. The only reason it's getting dog piled on is because it's not good. All the negative arguments about it would be at least somewhat deflated if the quality was there.

Except there's plenty of quality there thats been spoken by many more. This kind of perception bias was ridiculed in the review thread as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So looking at the Inazuma Eleven screenshots now that I'm on a monitor, it's clearly way beyond the 3DS games, but it's also pretty poly starved.

I could see it being a mobile or Switch game pretty easily, and plausibly both.

I can also see why they don't want to show a lot of it right now since it's not looking super great for either of those platforms, even taking into consideration the amount of detail that tends to get cut for mobile games due to file size concerns.

The UI does seem a bit small for a phone though.

I need to buy Inazuma Eleven on the eShop soon if it gets discounted again this Christmas. I hope the new Ares games gets localized, I really loved what I played with the YO-KAI WATCH games and I hope IE is a similarly great experience.

Except there's plenty of quality there thats been spoken by many more. This kind of perception bias was ridiculed in the review thread as well.
Well then I guess Square Enix needs to fire it's entire marketing team.

Since it looks like they managed to waste so much money on it and yet they couldn't fool enough people into thinking it's a good game.

noshten

FF fans here are basically shook af that it's hard to believe that the once touted to save Japanese gaming has bowed down to the harsh reality of the market. As a FF fan myself, I pretty much accepted its fate long ago that I even lowballed it hard in predictions lol.

I never understood the obsession with keeping sales talk beyond the numbers and trying to be nice because people like a game. In the end we are just discussing another game underperforming on consoles in this case the game has seen a pretty HUGE drop. There were signs but still a lot of people expected it to do a lot better an year or two ago. FFXV no doubt is excellent, decent, bad, GOTY or good game for a lot of the people that bought it - but that doesn't change the fact that the PS4 continues to be the best selling console in Japan with meager top selling games. I and everyone else won't know how it did in the US until the end of December but I think how quickly it gets discounted by large amounts in other markets will tell us if Japan was the only region that was over-shipped. Still I think it's possible for the West and rest of Asian markets to make up the difference but so far the results in the UK don't really show such tendencies. I think the eventual PC Port as long as properly executed would be the thing that long term makes FFXV a success but that does depend on the December NPD and where Final Fantasy lands on that chart.

As a person with a good PC rig that doesn't plan to buy a PS/Xbox unless even more quality exclusive games come out it doesn't really interest me until it comes out on PC. That's not a knock against it's quality and neither are the comments we are making in this or other Japan Sales Related threads that have poped up after the disappointing decline of FFXV sales on consoles in Japan. Personally I expected this to happen and said that it's going to be closer to Persona than Splatoon the question is will there actually be a PS4 game that will get PS4 owners in Japan to buy it in droves. I think unless there is a new IP like Splatoon/Minecraft it's looking unlikely.

Really? I think most here are super disappointed seeing pretty much everything do worse and worse here. FFXV doing badly sadly pretty much puts the nail in the coffin on the PS4's future. It'll likely plod along like the PS3, sell worse than it, and have its franchises continually decline. That's depressing as hell from what was supposed to be the "healthy" market leader and has a large portion of 3rd party support.

Youkai Watch 3 disappointed (the seemingly unstoppable force of 2-3 years ago possibly burned out already... hope it at least stays a million seller in the future...)
Pokemon Sun/Moon seems similar to X/Y thus far, but that already declined from previous titles...

Seriously it just looks like largely disappointment after disappointment. From what I can tell, even titles that are actually better than previous entries aren't exempt from this either.

Out of curiosity, why are game prices in Japan so high compared to what they seem to be elsewhere?

japanese industry is not able to change, they keep going in making games as 15 years ago while the world around them dramatically changed.
Japan, as a market of videogame, is becoming smaller and smaller, just consider that PS4 sold 50mln units around the world and only 4 (four) of that were sold in Japan
Consumers are getting tired of the same games more and more : how many Pokemon, Yakuza, MH, Dynasty Warriors, Zelda we had in the last 7-8 years ?
The innovation which was the hitting point during the 90's has vanished, western developers were behind Capcom, Konami, Square, Enix, but in the last 10 years the situation reversed.
Last but not least, the lack of new generations of players is hitting the market, the population in Japan is declining.
No, don't tell me "it's the mobile who's killing the market" cause even of mobiles japanese games are always the same and when someone has a good idea soon arrives the attack of the clones.

we are just witnessing the twilight of the glorious japanese market.
killed by blindness of the japanese developers.

L~A

So looking at the Inazuma Eleven screenshots now that I'm on a monitor, it's clearly way beyond the 3DS games, but it's also pretty poly starved.

I could see it being a mobile or Switch game pretty easily, and plausibly both.

I can also see why they don't want to show a lot of it right now since it's not looking super great for either of those platforms, even taking into consideration the amount of detail that tends to get cut for mobile games due to file size concerns.

The UI does seem a bit small for a phone though.

Well, mobile is definitely a lock since Akihiro Hino said that their upcoming projects would be at least on mobile (+ other platforms). I don't remember the exact wording, but mobile is definitely a key element in their kids-oriented strategy moving forward.

If they're not showing much right now might be because it may be shown on January 12th/13th (well, it most definitely will be if it's on Switch). Coincidentally, the next livestream is set for January 20th, after the Switch presentation, and not the beginning of the month like the first two.

I need to buy Inazuma Eleven on the eShop soon if it gets discounted again this Christmas. I hope the new Ares games gets localized, I really loved what I played with the YO-KAI WATCH games and I hope IE is a similarly great experience.

Based on the post Level-5 Vision 2016 PR from Level-5 International, they're definitely planning a western release.

I'd be interested to see what another kid-focused game would do on Vita in a post-Minecraft world. It's a shame no-one's going to take that shot. I know Level-5 were burned by Little Battlers but that was a long time ago.

I mean, I know it's an ultimately unsuccessful console vastly overshadowed by its competitor, but I still feel like there'd be a decent enough profit to be made.

I'm still wishing for Ushiro secretly :(

Alrus

I wouldn't expect the new Inazuma any time soon if it's a mobile first game. Level 5 can't even port a game to mobile in a timely manner.

Oregano

I'd be interested to see what another kid-focused game would do on Vita in a post-Minecraft world. It's a shame no-one's going to take that shot. I know Level-5 were burned by Little Battlers but that was a long time ago.

I mean, I know it's an ultimately unsuccessful console vastly overshadowed by its competitor, but I still feel like there'd be a decent enough profit to be made.

I'm still wishing for Ushiro secretly :(

Square Enix put out DQ Builders and World of FF. One did well, the other did not.

zeromcd73

I wouldn't expect the new Inazuma any time soon if it's a mobile first game. Level 5 can't even port a game to mobile in a timely manner.
Hino showed a different Inazuma game for mobile tonight featuring the same characters. Why would the main game need a mobile phone companion game if that too was also a mobile phone game?

Square Enix put out DQ Builders and World of FF. One did well, the other did not.

The one that did well seemed the more kid-focused one to me. A nostalgia-fueled chibi game doesn't seem overly aimed at kids to me. I don't remember any advertising that really highlighted that? (Compared to DQB which got the "hey, you liked Minecraft, well....!" stuff at least).

Oregano

The one that did well seemed the more kid-focused one to me. A nostalgia-fueled chibi game doesn't seem overly aimed at kids to me. I don't remember any advertising that really highlighted that? (Compared to DQB which got the "hey, you liked Minecraft, well....!" stuff at least).

It's a chibi monster catching game. Square Enix muddled it by trying to play on nostalgia but that's a text book grab at a young audience.

The new Inazuma could potentially be aimed at a slightly older audience if they want to grow up with the audience a bit. That would be an unusual move for Level 5 though.

Alrus

I feel like DQ Builders could have been a lot more successful if Square Enix hadn't been so greedy with its price.

Hino showed a different Inazuma game for mobile tonight featuring the same characters. Why would the main game need a mobile phone companion game if that too was also a mobile phone game?

It was a joke about Level 5 being complete failures when it come to mobile development heh. Depending on multiple factors maybe one game is further along than the other? I don't know.

That IE screen (not the obviously smartphone game one) looks to clean to be on 3DS but otherwise it looks pretty simple and low poly, I honestly have no idea what it's being made for.

Come one now. There is still multiple big games yet to release (FF7 remake, DQ XI, KH3, RE7 etc ).

Bruno MB

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 690.471 / NEW <64,63%> [Units shipped => 1.068.344]

Bundle Sales

00./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (4)(PlayStation 4 1TB Final Fantasy XV Luna Edition) <BUN> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥39.980) - 63.000 / NEW

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

_____

So, there're almost 400k still on shelves.
The worst thing is that first 3 days sell-through was reported to be ~60% (640k sales). That means that on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, FFXV only managed to sell extra 50k units. That's terrible, and second week drop might be huge.

Even if it was to be expected it is not less disappointing to see that the worst case scenario for Final Fantasy XV happened :(

Reposting the prediction league results in case somebody missed 2 days ago since this thread moves faster than usual.

We nailed Final Fantasy XV first week sales!

Prediction League Final Fantasy XV Results

Congratulations to:

- GAF_AVG 1st Course, for winning by units!
- DKHF, for winning by mean error %!

Code:
    BY UNITS                                             BY MEAN ERROR %

01          1st Course         33.242                01             DKHF            5,29%
    02            noobie           35.742                02            noobie           7,55%
    03             Eolz            40.242                03          1st Course         8,28%
    04             DKHF            58.281                04            Kanann           9,80%
    05        DarkLordMalik        77.868                05        RamzalsCool         10,42%
    06            saichi           78.956                06       DarkLordMalik        11,44%
    07        Graphics Horse       88.799                07           saichi           11,91%
    08          Chris1964          99.944                08          Bruno MB          16,12%
    09            Kanann          117.758                09              Eolz          16,67%
    10           Bruno MB         119.944                10          Chris1964         16,88%
    11           duckroll         121.552                11             Las7           18,36%
    12         RamzalsCool        135.944                12        Graphics Horse      20,13%
    13            Aters           143.242                13            Aters           21,34%
    14           djtiesto         167.242                14           duckroll         24,31%
    15             Las7           177.688                15           djtiesto         26,24%
    16           random25         263.242                16           random25         35,10%

Code:
                                                Famitsu  Chris1964   saichi    noobie  RamzalsCooGraphics H  Aters      Las7    random25 DarkLordMa  Kanann     DKHF   1st Course Bruno MB  djtiesto  duckroll    Eolz
                [PS4] Hardware                  116.593    89.012    98.765   102.500   114.000    77.777    85.000    99.999    70.000   133.333   121.000   120.000   100.000    95.000    76.000    72.515    78.000
            [PS4] Final Fantasy XV              716.649   789.012   777.777   695.000   850.000   666.666   605.000   555.555   500.000   777.777   830.000   771.523   700.000   815.000   590.000   794.123   715.000

TOTAL ABS. DIFF.                            99.944    78.956    35.742   135.944    88.799   143.242   177.688   263.242    77.868   117.758    58.281    33.242   119.944   167.242   121.552    40.242
              MEAN ERROR %                                 16,88%    11,91%    7,55%     10,42%    20,13%    21,34%    18,36%    35,10%    11,44%    9,80%     5,29%     8,28%     16,12%    26,24%    24,31%    16,67%

Code:
                    STATISTICS                     Famitsu   GAF_AVG     OVER     UNDER      MIN       MAX              CLOSEST BY
                  [PS4] Hardware                   116.593    95.806     19%       81%      70.000   133.333       114.000 RamzalsCool
             [PS4] Final Fantasy XV                716.649   714.527     50%       50%     500.000   850.000           715.000 Eolz

Here our expectations almost a year ago:

PREDICTION LEAGUE YEAR 2016

[PS4] Final Fantasy XV

GAF Average - 1.282.574

I feel FF7 remake will be even bigger than XV.

Fans have been asking for a remake for ages. So much that it was going like a running joke (along with half life 3). Honestly it still feels surreal that it's happening.

Oregano

I feel FF7 remake will be even bigger than XV.

Fans have been asking for a remake for ages. So much that it was going like a running joke (along with half life 3). Honestly it still feels surreal that it's happening.

Oh it will be bigger than XV
when you add all three parts together.

horuhe

This week's releases

{2016.12.06}

[PS4] The Last Guardian <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥6.900)

{2016.12.08}

[PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life # <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.190)

[3DS] Puyo Puyo Chronicle # <RPG> (Sega) (¥5.490)

[3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu: Complete Famicom Edition <ETC> (Arc System Works) (¥4.800)

[PS4] Dishonored 2 <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.980)

[3DS] Megami Meguri # <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.800)

[3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) (¥4.700)

----------

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2016.12.08)

01./01. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
03./03. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
04./00. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life <ACT> (Sega)
05./06. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
07./05. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo)
08./00. [3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu: Complete Famicom Edition <ETC> (Arc System)
09./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
10./00. [3DS] Megami Meguri <ADV> (Capcom)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.12.08)

01./04. [PSV] Saga Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
03./03. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
04./05. [3DS] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes <SPT> (Konami)
05./09. [3DS] Osomatsu-san Matsu Matsuri! (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Bandai Namco)

----------

So stores have already entered to Christmas season and that means Nintendo, and we have Mario giving us a Merry Christmas.
(Merry Christmas also for GAF, btw)

Pre-orders for Sukiyaki and Momotetsu are increasing day by day, as we reach the release day. Not so big, though. Miitopia seems to have a very big first shipment, but I do think Nintendo believes the game will sell throughout these weeks. Minecraft Wii U is very popular, as well.

On Nintendo consoles topic, at Joshin they have Wii U units again after a long time. So Nintendo is wasting its last shots in this Christmas for shipping the very last units of this hardware. Famicom Mini is again on stock at some stores, but in others as in Takarajima new shipments will arrive during this weekend. They recommend purchasing as soon as possible, since the units arriving will be very limited.

The hot topic right now, FFXV. One interesting thing is that even stores are trying to attract FFXV buyers to sell their copies, paying high prices for them and giving internal points as at Sofmap where the entry price to sell in 5,000yen. The picture isn't looking good, since they prefer buying copies sold to others instead of selling the units they have. At other stores even Luna Edition is having (not big, though) discounts.

Alrus

The issue with FF7R is that it's a multi part remake, it kinda reduces its potential imo. I still think it's going to do great (unless it's a complete mess which would not be that surprising given current square-enix, watch them shoehorn Genesis and all that shit into the story) though.

maxcriden

The idea that third parties haven't announced their support for the platform as much due to this event doesn't sit well with me, especially when some cases have been shown.

Lots of companies have announced support for the platform, they're just not talking about specific titles yet in most cases. Level 5 included.

For specific Japanese games the only official announcements so far are Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Nobunaga's Ambition and Sonic 2017. Via reliable leak sources we also know about The Silver Case HD and potentially Dark Souls III/Trilogy.

In addition to what Mac wrote above, it's also worth mentioning that Nintendo has very clearly stopped some of the major partners from officially announcing games. The same-y PR coming from Bethesda and others after the Switch video was released offers a strong indication that Nintendo does not want major game announcements coming yet, even for games shown in the Switch video. In that sense, and given the list if partners, it's fair to say there may very well be some unannounced third party games from Western and Japanese publishers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I understand the sentiment, Level-5 has the following Yo-Kai Watch mobile games:
- Yo-Kai Watch 1: Enhanced Edition
- Yo-Kai Watch Match-3 Monster Catching
- Yo-Kai Watch Dancing
- Yo-Kai Watch Dancing: But This Time It's A Game
- Yo-Kai Watch Bibliography Companion App
- Yo-Kai Watch Quiz RPG
- Yo-Kai Watch: Here are our arcade games, but now on phones because arcades don't exist in the West

I don't think it's actually out of the realm of possibility they're launching two types of Inazuma Eleven mobile titles.

Oregano

The issue with FF7R is that it's a multi part remake, it kinda reduces its potential imo. I still think it's going to do great (unless it's a complete mess which would not be that surprising given current square-enix, watch them shoehorn Genesis and all that shit into the story) though.

They have also talked about changing the gameplay which might have a negative affect. Especially if they make it an action RPG.

In addition to what Mac wrote above, it's also worth mentioning that Nintendo has very clearly stopped some of the major partners from officially announcing games. The same-y PR coming from Bethesda and others after the Switch video was released offers a strong indication that Nintendo does not want major game announcements coming yet, even for games shown in the Switch video. In that sense, and given the list if partners, it's fair to say there may very well be some unannounced third party games from Western and Japanese publishers.

My favourite one was when Harada was asked about Tekken 7 and gave a complete non-answer.

Top Bottom