• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

hiska-kun

I'll say it again: Super Mario Maker Set Bundle is not limited, it will be fully available until the Wii U is discounted.

The million is a lock, about how far can it go, it depends of how long Wii U hardware will be selling.

Xbro

Wario Maker, innit.

81%2BPTeVw3oL._SL1500_.jpg

Ōkami

To further show.

This is Wii U's Top 10 using Famitsu, retail + digital.

1. New Super Mario Bros. U: 1.225.115*
  2. Mario Kart 8: 1.216.748
  3. Splatoon: 1.177.329
  4. Wii Party U: 811.450*
  5. Super Smash Bros. for WiiU: 719.036*
  6. Super Mario Maker: 716.694
  7. Super Mario 3D World: 621.025*
  8. Nintendo Land: 382.954*
  9. Pikmin 3: 232.313*
  10. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 224.986*
*data not up to date

Retail + digital Mario Maker should be above Wii Party U by the end of the year.

Also, Wii U will be the first Nintendo home console in Japan where neither the words "Super" nor "Mario" will be part of the best selling game.

Mory Dunz

I'm not sure about the current Smash Wii U numbers. My assumed ballpark for the current retail of Smash Wii U is 800k since I haven't seen any updated numbers since it last charted, but maybe it's way lower than that.

Oh, i thought it was around 700k but maybe that's more 3D world

Sterok

Ōkami;191268303 said:
Also, Wii U will be the first Nintendo home console in Japan where neither the words "Super" nor "Mario" will be part of the best selling game.

Wii Sports was outsold by one of the Mario titles? I suppose that's not too surprising since it wasn't bundled like everywhere else.

duckroll

that'd be extremely easy imo. There's so much more you can add in an editor.

There is, but the catch is how you can get people to buy it again. Additions usually aren't enough for a general audience. That's why hardware shift will be the key here. The WiiU is an unpopular platform, but if Nintendo's next systems are more appealing, that would open it up to a much larger audience. Portable will probably be the next step they should look at first though, given Japan's market status.

horuhe

How would they make a sequel to Mario Maker?
I think is not hard to imagine what Nintendo should do, or at least, what in my opinion should be the next step. The "Maker" stuff must reach the franchise status. Some Metroid, Zelda or even Pokémon are great ideas to start from.
With the success of Mario Maker in Japan, what's the future now for 2D Mario?
This is a very hard question. I mean, it's Nintendo. The have great brains on EAD, in my opinion. However, how to take it into the next level? It depens on what possibilities could NX offer to devs. If NX results to be something really outstanding, maybe 2D Mario, and why not other 2D Nintendo franchises, could give us some surprises.

Mory Dunz

There is, but the catch is how you can get people to buy it again. Additions usually aren't enough for a general audience. That's why hardware shift will be the key here. The WiiU is an unpopular platform, but if Nintendo's next systems are more appealing, that would open it up to a much larger audience. Portable will probably be the next step they should look at first though, given Japan's market status.

I think the additions will be enough if it comes out in 5-6 years.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Since we talk abou Mario Maker sales...

Is already over 700k. With this week ( week 53 ) will be at minimum 750k.

That said... Let's say Mario Maker will sell 0 ( ZERO ) unit in 2017... And that's impossible, but let's say it will...

Here what Mario Maker will sell in 2016, in 52 weeks.

For sell 1 million, it need an avg of 4,800 unit all weeks.
For sell 1.1 million, it need an avg of 6,700 unit.
For sell 1.2 million, it need an avg of 8,700 unit.
For sell 1.3 million, it need an avg of 10,600 unit.

Etc.

We already know the first week of 2016 shoul be like ~30k or so... Of course, it will drop.. But yeah.

You guys really underestimate Mario Maker. 1.2 million at worst, and my 1.4 million seem also a conservate prediction.

I can see > 1.5 million LT as well.

AniHawk

i have to think that most of nintendo's later wii u games are nx-bound. smash bros., super mario maker, and splatoon seem perfect for 'deluxe' editions with all dlc included in one game card.

How would they make a sequel to Mario Maker?

Put it on more popular hardware, where it can ride on the coattails of whatever the new generation's system sellers are as supporting software.it could conceivably be a new mario kart, selling like clockwork at a certain attach rate and doing what it can to move consoles, even though it can't save one singlehandedly.
cross-platform stuff b/t diff nx skus, assuming the nx plan hasn't changed.
maybe tie-in features with some mario mobile game or app once that launches
integration with the new nintendo account thingy. or is that there already? i keep forgetting they launched nintendo account in japan.
include some "greatest hits from the first game" on disc/cartridge
make it possible to access SMM 1 stuff online.
Extra content or editor refinements, for the people hardcore enough to notice the change.

;....wait. i've barely played or read about SMM. it's single-player only, huh? well then that'd be the biggest thing that could be changed in a sequel.

Ōkami;191268303 said:

in Japan Super Smash Bros is called Dairantou Smash Bros DX

so basically neither GC (Smash Bros) nor Wii (Wii Sports) had the best selling title with Super or Mario as a part of the title

Square2015

ßig;191225933 said:
There is something seriously wrong with how Famitsu tracked PS1 software when you compare it to the Famitsu HW table.
Kamaitachi no Yoru (SFC) (released a week before the PS1)
sold 133,980 * 3.65 = 489k copies in 1994 according to Famitsu and 504k according to Dengeki.
Using 3.65 on Ridge Racer means it outsold the PS1 for several weeks after its launch.
Battle Arena Toshinden is also guilty of this.
Usually the same formula should work across all platforms but there seem to be exceptions.

Oh we've been using x2.5 for PSX, Dengeki's annual totals included an additional week (NY's week) compared to famitsu which never covered a week with a single day in the following month (FYI).

Square2015

PlayStation
→'94年12月03日39.800円
→'95年07月21日29.800円
PSX may have had an unofficial price drop in June (to coincide with Saturn's), which wasn't made officlal until 7/21. I have data that shows a huge boost in sales the week of 6/5 [could be off a week] that lasted until the end of summer.
gr5vPUC.png

This data comes from a graph posted on an import site from the late-90s, I cant find that site anymore (anyone remember?). I had to pixel count the graph to repiicate it myself.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Splatoon Maker!

EDIT:
Jokes aside:

"Maker" brand: I'm not sure at all that Nintendo will expand the "Maker" brand outside of the Mario brand. Even the "3D Mario" brand is not a safe bet, imho. How will they exploit it? As said, going NX. If NX is (also?) a portable, and if it is (partially) successfull, it will expand the brand. Key factors: being powerful enough to "recycle" the Wii U game, having a similar UI/Interface (aka touch: not necessarily dual screen, so the rumored "free form touch screen" could be a good fit)

2D Mario: as said in this very page, I'd say that if we consider Maker a success, we should still consider New Mario a success. of course its trend is going downhill, but the "normal" 2d sidescrolling formula isn't too old and abused to not be able to get significant sales imho. I'd say that more than brand fatigue, it could suffer from style fatigue, so probably they should try a different esthetic approach

JoeM86

Is the Pokken arcade performance bad for real? I remember reading JoeM86 stating it was quite a success, and he is very informed usually about Pokemon facts. Was his comment totally made up?

Until recently it was in the Top 5 arcade games in Japan, but new arcade games have shown up and are obviously getting the lion share of the attention.

It's still popular and is getting continual events and support. Sure, there may not be huge queues to play it anymore, but that happens when an arcade game has been out for months. People just take that one arcade that removed it and take that to mean it's doing badly everywhere.

L~A

For Super Mario Maker, the most logical step in the short term is indeed a handheld version, hopefully compatible with most existing levels (though I'd expect those with an insane amount of enemies to not compatible... which wouldn't be much of loss given how most of them "enemies bullet hell" levels are usually pretty crappy).

They could have each 4DS come with Super Mario Maker lite, some sort of "premium" demo with a limited number of elements (think vanilla SMM), and limited sharing abilities. Full version available at retail or eShop.

On the "long term" an updated version each gen with all the elements of the latest 2D Mario games is a possible way to go.

Another franchise getting the Maker treatment is definitely possible, but I don't think there's any other franchise with the wide appeal which allowed SMM to be popular in the first place.

JoeM86

Another franchise getting the Maker treatment is definitely possible, but I don't think there's any other franchise with the wide appeal which allowed SMM to be popular in the first place.

Metroid Maker, clearly.

I was half expecting that at E3 :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Until recently it was in the Top 5 arcade games in Japan, but new arcade games have shown up and are obviously getting the lion share of the attention.

It's still popular and is getting continual events and support. Sure, there may not be huge queues to play it anymore, but that happens when an arcade game has been out for months. People just take that one arcade that removed it and take that to mean it's doing badly everywhere.

thank you, and sorry if my previous post could have sounded too harsh: I didn't intend to criticize you at all

JoeM86

thank you, and sorry if my previous post could have sounded too harsh: I didn't intend to criticize you at all

It's alright. I understand a lot of people think I just blindly praise Nintendo but they are mistaken. Hell, look at the meltdown I had with Pokémon GO and Nintendo with DeNA. Proof I don't just blindly follow. But yeah, I understand your scepticism about what I said.

Let's predict the new week. ( Media Create )
[PSV] 90,000

Am I the only one that thinks Vita is going to be flat-to-down?

2012 -> 2013 = 20,492 -> 33.309
2013 -> 2014 = 87.142 - > 75.400
2014 -> 2015 = 43.495 -> 58.005

I feel this year is more comparable to 2013, where it had a very good holiday week and dropped the following week. I know Sony hardware tends to see bigger increases in the first week of the year, but I don't think there's that much grounds to increase when it was already doing fairly well the week before.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They're definitely trying to expand something ...

Metal boobs are part of the anime robot tradition since a long time!

http://robot.demotivationalposters....its-mech-demotivational-poster-1248999949.jpg

It's alright. I understand a lot of people think I just blindly praise Nintendo but they are mistaken. Hell, look at the meltdown I had with Pokémon GO and Nintendo with DeNA. Proof I don't just blindly follow. But yeah, I understand your scepticism about what I said.

I wasn't sceptic, I usually follow your Pokemon updates as very reliable. :)

Btw, I want Pokken, hopefully they will release it not so much later than Japan

JoeM86

Hopefully they will increase the roster for the retail version because 12 fighters is laughable (and might affect sales).

Current character selection screen can fit 20 characters

20 is a solid amount for a first version of a game. Granted we've been spoiled by Smash, but less is more.

Though if less is more, then just think how much more more can be.

duckroll

12-13 as a starting base in arcades and ~17 for the first home version is pretty normal for fighting games. Not sure why it's laughable. Maybe it's laughable to people who don't play fighting games and only read wikipedia and Smash news? Haha.

Current character selection screen can fit 20 characters

20 is a solid amount for a first version of a game. Granted we've been spoiled by Smash, but less is more.

Though if less is more, then just think how much more more can be.

Are we sure there'll be 20 characters? Btw, the point is that there are, how many, 700 Pokémon? Presenting a poor roster is not the best way to start a franchise.

12-13 as a starting base in arcades and ~17 for the first home version is pretty normal for fighting games. Not sure why it's laughable. Maybe it's laughable to people who don't play fighting games and only read wikipedia and Smash news? Haha.

It's laughable considering the almost infinite possibilities the team has in terms of characters. I can see why Persona 4 Arena has a 13-14 characters roster - the choice is limited per se. Pokkén could already start with a sizeable roster. I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled because I played games like Tekken 6. Or perhaps I just read Wikipedia and Smash news, who knows!

kiryogi

Banned

Shots fired!

And realistically, I'm not sure how well it's doing in arcades, but any further characters outside of that would be reserved for a arcade revision/update.

Are we sure there'll be 20 characters? Btw, the point is that there are, how many, 700 Pokémon? Presenting a poor roster is not the best way to start a franchise.

Quality over quanity. + There's the arcade situation as mentioned.

duckroll

Ah yes, what would we ever do without a fighting game with 700 characters. Do tell us more. I'm sure you're as much an expert on fighting game roasters as you are on the definition of a Monster Hunting game, and also on the differences between enemy designs in Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy Adventure. Truly, what would the glorious NeoGAF Media Create Threads be without your deep insight and intimate knowledge of all things? All hail Penny the Wise!

Quality over quanity. + There's the arcade situation as mentioned.

Which crowd does Pokkén want to attract? Fighting games fans or Pokémon fans? The former might not care, but the latter will care about the roster, and a 20 Pokémon roster might not give a good impression at first glance because the possibilities to add much more are there (on top of future extensions).

Ah yes, what would we ever do without a fighting game with 700 characters. Do tell us more. I'm sure you're as much an expert on fighting game roasters as you are on the definition of a Monster Hunting game, and also on the differences between enemy designs in Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy Adventure. Truly, what would the glorious NeoGAF Media Create Threads be without your deep insight and intimate knowledge of all things? All hail Penny the Wise!

I've never written Pokkén should have 700 fighters - I thought I was pretty clear in phrasing what I wrote, but perhaps not. I said that given how many Pokémon are outhere, a 20-fighter roster might seem scarce - because popular Pokémon are left out of the picture; because if the game wants to cater to Pokémon fans quantity choice is also important; because Pokkén cannot be compared to fighting iterations such as Persona 4 Aren where of course the choice was limited per se. Then, if you want to talk again about "the definition of Monster Hunter", should I remind you we were talking about how games were promoted and advertised, despite the obvious gameplay differences? Ok.

kiryogi

Banned
Which crowd does Pokkén want to attract? Fighting games fans or Pokémon fans? The former might not care, but the latter will care about the roster, and a 20 Pokémon roster might not give a good impression at first glance because the possibilities to add much more are there (on top of future extensions).

Usually when there's an arcade release along the line somewhere? The arcade owners. :p It's not about fans.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the arcade had an average amount oc playable characters (and side characters). I'd say that the home version MUST add some character to go up to 18 to be an average amount.
it is the first version, the models are brand new, they seems pretty differentiated in terms of moveset, there was nothing to base the development on, it was a game that started from scratch. The large amount of existing Pokemon surely is an infinite amount of Pokemon to take isnpiration from for the next episodes, but if they start with 18 characters on the home version, I'd say it is pretty normal (average/good).

Super Smash Bros can't be taken as reference, imho, for almost nothing.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Am I the only one that thinks Vita is going to be flat-to-down?

2012 -> 2013 = 20,492 -> 33.309
2013 -> 2014 = 87.142 - > 75.400
2014 -> 2015 = 43.495 -> 58.005

I feel this year is more comparable to 2013, where it had a very good holiday week and dropped the following week. I know Sony hardware tends to see bigger increases in the first week of the year, but I don't think there's that much grounds to increase when it was already doing fairly well the week before.

What you predict?

tSuper Smash Bros can't be taken as reference, imho, for almost nothing.

As Smash cannot be taken as reference, Pokkén is also a different beast altogether, which cannot be compared to usual fighting games - especially if the retail release wants to targeted towards Pokémon fans. Of course, this is my opinion - a 20-fighter roster in a fighting Pokémon game looks scarce at first glance, in particular when your potential roster might be larger since characters are there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As Smash cannot be taken as reference, Pokkén is also a different beast altogether, which cannot be compared to usual fighting games - especially if the retail release wants to targeted towards Pokémon fans. Of course, this is my opinion - a 20-fighter roster in a fighting Pokémon game looks scarce at first glance, in particular when your potential roster might be larger since characters are there.

maybe they should delay the Wii U version until all the 700 pokemons are developed. Maybe on SuperNextendo in 2014? :p

I see what you are saying, but I still believe that there would be pretty crazy for such a brand new risky (it's on Wii U) spinoff to spend so much effort (time, cost, investment) in making it beefy as you suggest.

Also because, if 701 is the number of existing pokemons, how many sould they add in to be looked at as "enough"? I know that you weren't talking about 700, but still...Smash has something like 54 characters I think, but it's made by a very large team at Namco and supervised by some sort of magician of the development, and notwishtanding it took years of development to be done.

And what justified that investment? the fact that you were surely going to sell millions of copies of it.

Looking at fighting games sales results, at the Wii U install base, at the Pokemon spinoff sales...would you have invested two and a half years in its development?

not forgetting all the arcade part, of course.

duckroll

I do not think that anyone who feels that 20 characters is too few for a Pokemon fighting game would really be that interested in a Pokemon fighting game to begin with. If there is a Pokemon fighter with 50 initial characters in it, it might attract some of these people at first, but these are not the type who would be interested long term, and more importantly, it would make for a pretty shitty game. :p

If you are making a fighting game, regardless of the branding attached, you want to make a good fighting game first and foremost, or it is just a cash in like the dozens of anime/manga licensed fighters on consoles which never get arcade releases, don't care about balance, and no one ever talks about.

Top Bottom