• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2015 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

Eolz

Pretty good week in terms of hardware for Sony!
Disappointing numbers for most games, apart from the top 2.

antibolo

Banned
I think 37k for GE2RB PS4 is actually pretty good. MH clones are never going to sell gangbusters on a home console in Japan anyway.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Will Vita be around by the time God Eater 3 comes out? If not will a PS4 only release make sense?

Or the most important question: Does it actually make sense to build the brand with the PS4 only userbase?

In Japan yes. The Vita isnt going anywhere here thats for sure. Since its not treated like some leper by devs unlike the West.

If they're planning on doing a western release it makes complete sense. *Crosses fingers*

Exactly, thats the other reason too why they went with a PS4 version compounded by the fact the West got the first GE game from the GE:B expansion.

Know for a fact that BanNam has been a lot more aggressive with SE Asia and the West too. So am sure they will be bringing this out also, just the question of when this year.

Wanted God Eater to do a little better on the Vita...at least It helped with Vita sales.

Next game to break 100k on the Vita will be ?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So the question is, by putting God Eater 2 Rage Burst on PS4/Vita instead of PSP/Vita, did Bandai Namco just flush 150k worth of sales down the toilet?

maybe, but those 150k could easily be covered by obviously better Western sales, imho.
SE just announced that they are not going to localize PS3 version of DQH and PSP/Vita's Western status is waaaaaaaaay worse than PS3 one

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, between PSP being dead (see Toukiden: Kiwami's result) and this being an expansion I don't think Namco Bandai threw 150,000 copies (compared to the original) out of the window. I'd say that PS4 underperforming heavily in Japan made its contribution lower than what (maybe) Namco hoped for, so they lost some sales, but not 150,000.

Steel

Banned
So the question is, by putting God Eater 2 Rage Burst on PS4/Vita instead of PSP/Vita, did Bandai Namco just flush 150k worth of sales down the toilet?

Well, if they go west I'd expect the opposite sales figures, so if that's their plan then no, not at all.

That will bomb in Japan..... and most likely in the west as well unfortunately.

I've pre ordered for PS4 version so at least they'll sell 1 copy.

So far Toukiden has sold 470k in Japan & Asia whilst Kiwami has sold 200k in Japan and Asia. As it's an expansion game I wasn't expecting it to match first game sales but it could have done a bit better I think.

Not at all. Using other PSP games as an example (Toukiden Kiwami being one) the PSP versions of PS Vita games these days are not selling anything noteworthy

i hope you are not right about this. add 1 unit sold to that (though it will be digitally)

Yeah, between PSP being dead (see Toukiden: Kiwami's result) and this being an expansion I don't think Namco Bandai threw 150,000 copies (compared to the original) out of the window. I'd say that PS4 underperforming heavily in Japan made its contribution lower than what (maybe) Namco hoped for, so they lost some sales, but not 150,000.

You can;t expect an expansion to do similar numbers to a new mainline entry. GERB had an ltd of 460k iirc and opened with 270k. I don't see where they have lost 150k sales.

There's also the question of releasing it outside Japan.

Oregano

In Japan yes. The Vita isnt going anywhere here thats for sure. Since its not treated like some leper by devs unlike the West.

How soon are we expecting GE3 then? Vita's hardware sales have barely been above 10k recently and software hasn't been too spectacular either. If GE3 is more than two years away(somewhat likely) then I'm not at all convinced Vita will be in a healthy position.

duckroll

Good points all round regarding GE2RB. There's definitely the western plans to consider, as well as the future of the franchise both in Japan and outside of Japan. The PSP being in the retirement home is also a factor, since it is unlikely it would have sold 100k+ on PSP in today's market.

How soon are we expecting GE3 then? Vita's hardware sales have barely been above 10k recently and software hasn't been too spectacular either. If GE3 is more than two years away(somewhat likely) then I'm not at all convinced Vita will be in a healthy position.

Earliest? Q4 2016.

Good points all round regarding GE2RB. There's definitely the western plans to consider, as well as the future of the franchise both in Japan and outside of Japan. The PSP being in the retirement home is also a factor, since it is unlikely it would have sold 100k+ on PSP in today's market.

There's the ufotable anime too.

RPGamer92

Banned
And there'd be no western sales for a PSP version either whereas most of the probable western sales would come from the PS4 version I'd imagine.

ZhugeEX

Banned
i hope you are not right about this. add 1 unit sold to that (though it will be digitally)

As far as I'm aware, Koei have shipped less than 100k units (80k is the official number for 2+ months of sales) in the west for Toukiden PS Vita.

Seeing as how Kiwami is an expansion and on PS Vita and PS4 I'm not exactly expecting Koei to beat the first game sales in the west.

GE - 2010
GE2 - 2013
GE3 - I'm guessing 2016/2017 (2017 due to RB version coming out this year)

hiska-kun

I updated hardware table, but there's still some information left (hardware SKUs, and % for software).
I will update the rest tomorrow, since is past midnight in Japan.

Acosta

126k in two weeks across two platforms is good..?

I'm genuinely asking, I have no idea what the DBZ games usually sell these days.

05./00. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.23} (¥7.480) - 30.192 / NEW
06./00. [PSV] Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.23} (¥6.480) - 22.901 / NEW

I think it's an advancement. Someone may prove me wrong.

test_account

XP-39C²
If that´s the case, why didn´t it happen earlier? Why did it happen after a confirmed failure? With a potential big title in the works they could have had a better deal, wouldn´t they? I think it´s reasonable to suggest that the sell off was basically their last resort after losing a potentially important longterm partnership for the handheld version of the successful Phantasy Star games.
Without knowing any details around the acquisition, our guesses are just as good =) Do we know if TriAce reached out to Nepro first, or was it the other way around? Did TriAce offer themself for sale? I guess these are things that we wont know the answers to.

Its also possible that TriAce could perhaps be accuired even if their situation was better. For example, Microsoft required Mojang/Minecraft eventhough that Mojang was doing great. It depends much on who reached out to who and what the agreements/terms were. It could have been a coincidence that it happened when it happened, but i dont know much about Nepro to say much about it. Maybe Duckroll or someone else knows more about it.

Sure, what you say definitelly seems plausible, i agree, i havnt said anything against that, but i also think it sounds plausible that PSN's outcome wasnt the main reason for the acquisition, concidering that they hadnt been in the best shape for years. Since we dont know who reached out first, Nepro or TriAce, its hard to say. But who knows, its anyone's guess :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

For the West with GE2:RB Id most def see them tying it in with the Anime which will be their main platform to market the series / game building hype then dropping it on the public.

Caronte

Especially when you consider that the PS4 sold 25k this week but last year it was 310k. Now that's an almost 100% decrease.

So the PS4 is down -91% YOY whilst the Xbox One is up 623% compared to last week.

Now I don't know about you but it's clear the Xbox One is poised to be the best selling console in Japan of all time.

My mind cannot comprehend all that information. I need a Polygon pie chart right now.

Oregano

Earliest? Q4 2016.

There's the ufotable anime too.

GE - 2010
GE2 - 2013
GE3 - I'm guessing 2016/2017 (2017 due to RB version coming out this year)

So yeah a Q4 2016 release would pretty much be two years away and I'm definitely not convinced the Vita will be in a particularly healthy state, especially when we're talking about a 500k+ release.

If it takes longer than that it's going to be an even more precarious situation.

casiopao

GE2BR did not help Vita sales, 3 different Value Pack bundles did the job

likely :
Sword Art Online - Lost Song

maybe :
Digimon
Super Robot Taisen Z
Persona 4 Dancing All night long

Vita had 3 type of different bundle this week? May i know what does it consist there? As it must be a very generous bundle here if it can triple Vita sales here.^_^

Welfare

126k in two weeks across two platforms is good..?

I'm genuinely asking, I have no idea what the DBZ games usually sell these days.

It's already outsold the past 3 DB games.

From last weeks thread (post shows more DB games and their LTD)

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse has already outsold Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi and Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2.

The game is showing good legs, but I don't think they will be long enough to catch Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit which was the best selling console entry of past generation.

Hexa

This past week is where the PS4 push began right?

God Eater Rage Burst last week.
DQ:Heroes (February 26) and Revelations (February 25) this week.
Yakuza 0 (March 12) the week after next week.
Type-0 (March 19) the week after that.
Bloodborne, Senran Kagura: Estival Versus, Disgaea 5, and One Piece 3 (all March 26) the week after that.

Hope it does well.

Vita had 3 type of different bundle this week? May i know what does it consist there? As it must be a very generous bundle here if it can triple Vita sales here.^_^

afaik a 16Gb card and 3 games preinstalled on it (Chain Chronicle, MHF and another F2P game)

51tGSfiZZjL.jpg

there was a GE2BR bundle for Vita and Vita TV but was only available on the Sony Store

JP_Qnavi_Zoom

ok, I'll say better : PSP users and 3 Value Pack bundles did the job ;)

small44

maybe, but those 150k could easily be covered by obviously better Western sales, imho.
SE just announced that they are not going to localize PS3 version of DQH and PSP/Vita's Western status is waaaaaaaaay worse than PS3 one

I don't see werstern sale replace the lost Japan sales.
i think vita version can even outsold ps4 version in West

Tales already out of MC top 20 and ~ 2000 on Famitsu.

The serise sales always been frontloaded yes but not like this, Zestiria legs are just new type of awful.

casiopao

afaik a 16Gb card and 3 games preinstalled on it (Chain Chronicle, MHF and another F2P game)

51tGSfiZZjL.jpg

there was a GE2BR bundle for Vita and Vita TV but was only available on the Sony Store

JP_Qnavi_Zoom

ok, I'll say better : PSP users and 3 Value Pack bundles did the job ;)

The first bundle does not sounds really nice lol if u ask me.T_T

The second one, i believe is the better one as it can attract many PSP owner who wanted to upgrade for GE series.^_^

GJ for Vita there. At least Sony is not throwing away this chance lol. After how they kinda forget about Vita for some time but not bundling anything.T_T

monpiece

Banned
The first bundle does not sounds really nice lol if u ask me.T_T

The second one, i believe is the better one as it can attract many PSP owner who wanted to upgrade for GE series.^_^

GJ for Vita there. At least Sony is not throwing away this chance lol. After how they kinda forget about Vita for some time but not bundling anything.T_T

However, it was the first kind of bundle that generated the bump.

crinale

XB1's bump is a bump indeed. Of course MS won't be happy but at least it showed how new SKU can boost sales on XB1 in Japanese market IMHO.

LX_Theo

Banned
Reasoning for God Eater difference...

Basically the entire audience already has the Vita, and hunter genres generally preferable to have on the go.

BriBri

Some Famitsu digital numberzzz from Dec 22 - 25 January. Hopefully Road can translate them fully in a few hours:-

Minecraft Vita 83,054
Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force Special 79,958
Minecraft PS4 49,479
Minecraft PS3 32,397
some Vita sequel 10,666
Smash Bros. Wii U 8,052
Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi 7,807
Smash BroS. 3DS 7,437
Mario Kart 8 6,831
I think Final Fantasy Explorers 6,028

Bike Rider DX3 isn't featured so obviously only eShop titles with retail cards.

As far as I'm aware, Koei have shipped less than 100k units (80k is the official number for 2+ months of sales) in the west for Toukiden PS Vita.

Seeing as how Kiwami is an expansion and on PS Vita and PS4 I'm not exactly expecting Koei to beat the first game sales in the west.

damn, how many copies do they need to sell when they do this kind of re-releases/ports to say they did good? (10K, 30K?)

Depends on what kind of sales they will get in the West on PS4 as Vita/PSP are both dead platforms outside of Japan.

Top Bottom