• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2015 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

Takao

Banned
Famitsu January 2015 Top 30 Combined

01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level-5) - 642.516 (634.709 / 7807)
02. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon Company) - 366.131 (361.437 / 4694)
03. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Bandai Namco) - 316.824 ( 316.824 / - )
04. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) - 259.750 (252.313 / 7437)
05. [WIU] Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Nintendo) - 206.634 (198.582 / 8052)
06. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom) - 141.602 (138.266 / 3336)
07. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) - 111.380 (104.549 / 6831)
08. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers (Square Enix) - 95.512 (89.484 / 6028)
09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level-5) - 90.806 (88.928 / 1878)
10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) - 83.054 ( - / 83.054)
11. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Tag Force Special (Konami) - 79.958 ( - / 79.958)
12. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 (Bandai Namco) - 66.204 (55.538 / 10.666)
13. [3DS] Legend of Legacy (Furyu) - 61.559 (56.594 / 4965)
14. [PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 (Bandai Namco) - 54.212 (49.398 / 4814)
15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) - 53.981 (51.325 / 2656)
16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar) - 51.789 (47.238 / 4551)
17. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (Mojang) - 49.479 ( - / 49.479)
18. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) - 39.418 (38.613 / 805)
19. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu (Nippon Columbia) - 38.599 (37.666 / 933)
20. [3DS] Aikatsu! 365-Hi no Idol Days (Bandai Namco) - 37.679 (37.092 / 587)
21. [3DS] One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X (Bandai Namco) - 36.839 (36.247 / 592)
22. [PSV] Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Out of Order (Bandai Namco) - 36.833 (35.182 / 1651)
23. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 35.619 (35.375 / 244)
24. [WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Nintendo) - 35.172 (33.334 / 1838)
25. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain (Spike Chunsoft) - 33.443 (32.158 / 1285)
26. [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) - 32.397 ( - / 32.397)
27. [3DS] Kenka Bancho 6: Blood and Soul (Spike Chunsoft) - 32.033 (30.794 / 1239)
28. [3DS] Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Chara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi (Bandai Namco) - 31.431 (30.662 / 769)
29. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 (Konami) - 27.573 (24.884 / 2689)
30. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori! (Bandai Namco) - 27.251 (26.758 / 493)

Legend:
Sales Rank - Platform - Game Title - Publisher - Estimated Total Sales (physical+digital) - Physical/Digital Sales

small44

Now that I'm back on my PC instead of mobile:

Capcom is not investing in Wii U software, they are investing in PS4 software and they could probably get Sony to pitch in. The partnership with Nintendo is a means to an end, if Sony offers them a better deal they will take it and Sony will offer them a better deal.

Either Vita means life or world ending pretty soon?

They will expect much more than 500k additional sales in the west. Not saying they'll get them but they'll expect them and Sony will be selling them hard on PS4 being the route to massive western success.
Even if they sell more then 500k additional sales it will lose even more in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
They will expect much more than 500k additional sales in the west. Not saying they'll get them but they'll expect them and Sony will be selling them hard on PS4 being the route to massive western success.
Based on previous sales of Monster Hunter Tri and Dragon's Dogma, i dont think that Capcom would expect huge sales in the west. Especially not to cover ~2-3 million potential lost sales in Japan.

Takao

Banned
That should be good for Yu-Gi-Oh, right?

I have to imagine Konami are very pleased if those numbers hold weight.

Tag Force Special launched on January 22nd, so that includes what would be the first week of sales. The game's debut is higher than the last known LTD of the 3DS game - the most recent Yu-Gi-Oh! title in Japan. Tag Force Special's first week is also the best since Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards on GBA in 2002. TFSP launched at a budget price of 3000yen, but the product itself was clearly developed on a shoestring budget.

Alo0oy

Banned
The PS4 has been picking up steam over the past few weeks, how about a PS1/PS2 era JRPG revival?

Please?

It's not happening, is it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capcom is not investing in Wii U software, they are investing in PS4 software and they could probably get Sony to pitch in. The partnership with Nintendo is a means to an end, if Sony offers them a better deal they will take it and Sony will offer them a better deal
Which better deal are you talking about? Capcom sold million of MH copies on 3DS and they probably wanna bet again on the next Nintendo portable.

Sony couldn't even offer a better deal when MH was at home on PSP and the game just became the best selling 3rd party ever in Japan. Capcom is already investing with RE, Dragons Dogma, SFV, Deep Down etc. on the system - I don't see them putting all eggs in one basket especially if they will sell less copies.

Alo0oy

Banned
There aren't enough interesting, upcoming JRPGs?

I was talking about the niche JRPGs that were common in the PS1/PS2 era, games like Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, Breath of Fire, Chrono Cross...etc

The "big" JRPGs are coming to PS4 as expected (FFXV, DQXI, P5, KHIII), but I want more than the big mainstream JRPGs.

PS4, how you doing ?

PS3 vs. PS4
Code:
week 49 - 1,229,641  /  1,002,662    -226,979
week 50 - 1,241,386  /  1,016,633    -224,753
week 51 - 1,257,425  /  1,031,445    -225,980	
week 52 - 1,273,555  /  1,049,426    -224,129
week 53 - 1,329,445  /  1,072,636    -256,809
PS3 had price drop on week 53 iirc, actually the gap came back to week 45 level (-260k)

PS4 vs. Wii U
Code:
week 49 - 1,002,662 /  1,138,831    -136,169
week 50 - 1,016,633 /  1,152,837    -136,204
week 51 - 1,031,445 /  1,173,014    -141,569
week 52 - 1,049,426 /  1,200,339    -150,913
week 53 - 1,072,636 /  1,247,112    -174,476
Wii U entered holiday 2013 (and week 55 will have 119k), best gap between platforms was week 47 (-106k), now it's similar to week 44 (-179k); but after 4 weeks Wii U sales will drop down to 10k weekly to it will be interesting to see how things will do

FluxWaveZ

I was talking about the niche JRPGs that were common in the PS1/PS2 era, games like Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, Breath of Fire, Chrono Cross...etc

The "big" JRPGs are coming to PS4 as expected (FFXV, DQXI, P5, KHIII), but I want more than the big mainstream JRPGs.

Fair enough, I guess. I think there might be a fair amount of them that aren't part of the huge titles, what with Bravely Second, Tokyo Xanadu, Ray Gigant, Omega Quintet, etc. But it's happening more on handhelds than on the PS4.

horuhe

19. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu (Nippon Columbia) - 38.599 (37.666 / 933)

29./00. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC>(Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184) -2.131 / 99.932 <80-100%>

So, Sumikko is almost at 130k with digital sales, waiting for the numbers of this week. It was a sleeper hit. The next Youkai.

Alo0oy

Banned
Fair enough, I guess. I think there might be a fair amount of them that aren't part of the huge titles, what with Bravely Second, Tokyo Xanadu, Ray Gigant, Omega Quintet, etc. But it's happening more on handhelds than on the PS4.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but there were far far more quality JRPGs in the late 90s than right now, even if you include handheld & mobile.

And Omega Quintet looks garbage.

Oregano

Even if they sell more then 500k additional sales it will lose even more in Japan.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't mean they won't try though.

Based on previous sales of Monster Hunter Tri and Dragon's Dogma, i dont think that Capcom would expect huge sales in the west. Especially not to cover ~2-3 million potential lost sales in Japan.

They're expecting over a million for MH4U on 3DS. They would be expecting massive growth on the PS4.

Which better deal are you talking about? Capcom sold million of MH copies on 3DS and they probably wanna bet again on the next Nintendo portable.

Sony couldn't even offer a better deal when MH was at home on PSP and the game just became the best selling 3rd party ever in Japan. Capcom is already investing with RE, Dragons Dogma, SFV, Deep Down etc. on the system - I don't see them putting all eggs in one basket especially if they will sell less copies.

The PS4 is in a better position than the last few Playstations were and Sony is being more aggressive. As to the bolded, why wouldn't they? Especially when Sony is clearly willing to foot the bill a lot of the time.

monpiece

Banned
It is unthinkable that MH would go back to consoles. The amount of sales they would lose is not something one could simply pay as a compensation. Besides, they would leave it open for other game from the same genre to take over the portable audience.

Besides, moneyhatting a big title only makes sense at the beginning of a new generation, where you can use the strength of such title to build a reasonable audience and attract other developers. Otherwise, companies would only exchange a lot of money for potential hardware sales, something that could be achieved by making dramatic price cuts or developing other big games instead.

It would make sense for Sony to moneyhat MH only for a potential new handheld, but we know they are not interested in the handheld market anymore.

Tales, Ys, Disgaea? I'm sure there's more on the way.

the storm is coming....

PSV_minecraft.jpg

Takao

Banned
29./00. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC>(Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184) -2.131 / 99.932 <80-100%>

So, Sumikko is almost at 130k with digital sales, waiting for the numbers of this week. It was a sleeper hit. The next Youkai.

You're misreading that data. The chart I posted is for the January 2015 tracking period between December 22nd and January 25th. For Sumikko, it says the game sold 38k, with 933 copies through the eShop. The rest were sold physically.

The number you posted is from February 15th. It already accounts for the 37.666 physical copies in January chart.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The PS4 is in a better position than the last few Playstations were and Sony is being more aggressive. As to the bolded, why wouldn't they? Especially when Sony is clearly willing to foot the bill a lot of the time.
I don't think Sony is in a position to moneyhat MH if Capcom wasn't willing to put it on these systems to begin with... But their support might help for a quick western release and cross marketing.

But even with saying all this... I don't see Nintendo and Iwata just watching how one of their most important 3rd party being taken away.

Then again... If DQ 11 is indeed PS4 it might not surprise me of everyone else just joins the party and disregarding handheld releases for now.

Bebpo

Banned
Either Vita means life or world ending pretty soon?

All joking aside, I mean it as in there are certain franchises that are not going to Nintendo systems as long as Sony is still in business.

A lot of these franchises can't afford to jump to PS4 and unless PS4 takes off it's not worth it. PS3 is dying.

Right now they're riding on Vita to survive. If Sony does not bring out a handheld successor they pretty much have to start releasing on Nintendo platforms or keep releasing on Vita.

And if developers keep releasing on Vita, and no successor handheld comes out, what's to keep the system from hanging around for another 10-20 years as the Nintendo alternative system in Japan? It's powerful enough to last 10-20 years tech-wise considering Japan's low tech effort in their games.

I'm not saying it'll keep the success it currently has, but that I could see it remaining a niche still selling system in Japan for another 10+ years at this rate as long as Sony never replaces it. Or maybe PS5 in 2019 will be a handheld/console hybrid to combat Nintendo's handheld/console hybrid in 2016/2017 and that'll be when Vita is replaced.

Takao

Banned
All joking aside, I mean it as in there are certain franchises that are not going to Nintendo systems as long as Sony is still in business.

A lot of these franchises can't afford to jump to PS4 and unless PS4 takes off it's not worth it. PS3 is dying.

Right now they're riding on Vita to survive. If Sony does not bring out a handheld successor they pretty much have to start releasing on Nintendo platforms or keep releasing on Vita.

And if developers keep releasing on Vita, and no successor handheld comes out, what's to keep the system from hanging around for another 10-20 years as the Nintendo alternative system in Japan? It's powerful enough to last 10-20 years tech-wise considering Japan's low tech effort in their games.

I'm not saying it'll keep the success it currently has, but that I could see it remaining a niche still selling system in Japan for another 10+ years at this rate as long as Sony never replaces it. Or maybe PS5 in 2019 will be a handheld/console hybrid to combat Nintendo's handheld/console hybrid in 2016/2017 and that'll be when Vita is replaced.

wat

donny2112

Then again... If DQ 11 is indeed PS4 it might not surprise me of everyone else just joins the party and disregarding handheld releases for now.

I think DQXI will be mobile/3DS cross-platform. Since it'd be cross-platform already, may see a PS4 port, too, but mobile platforms would seem the likely primary target group.

Edit:
Went back and found Aeana's comments on it, so looks like mobile is definitely out. Can't see it being PS4-only, though. What would its system sales look like in 18 months? Would it support DQ sales with that size of a userbase?

When DQVII released on PS1, PS1 was ~17m.
When DQVIII released on PS2, PS2 was ~15m.
When DQIX released on 3DS, 3DS was ~27m.
When DQX released (first) on Wii, Wii was ~12.5m, and DQX was a very different planned business model.

Would PS4 be even at 4m in 18 months in Japan, much less the > 10m the previous games released at?

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't think Sony is in a position to moneyhat MH if Capcom wasn't willing to put it on these systems to begin with... But their support might help for a quick western release and cross marketing.

But even with saying all this... I don't see Nintendo and Iwata just watching how one of their most important 3rd party being taken away.

MH won't release on PS4, even a Vita release is unlikely, it's just wishful thinking.

DQ makes sense because Horii wants his last Hurrah to be on the PS4 in high definition, & from what I understand, he has creative control over the franchise, the same cannot be said about MH, not unless Sony moneyhats it.

EDIT:

I think DQXI will be mobile/3DS cross-platform. Since it'd be cross-platform already, may see a PS4 port, too, but mobile platforms would seem the likely primary target group.

DQXI was pretty much confirmed to be on the "big screen", likely PS4 (& maybe PS3).

Busaiku

I don't understand why people think Monster Hunter in PS4 is an automatic success outside of Japan.
Dragon's Dogma is similar in some respects, and it did worse than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS.

Oh my lords, is someone actually thinking Vita can live till 2019.

Look Sony is funding Capcom for exclusive SF rights. If Sony can throw money Capcom's way to get MH on Vita and PS4 in addition to the Nintendo platforms, I would be all for that. Same if they contacted Level 5 about getting YW multiplatform.

Good chance DQ 11 will be multiplatform imo.

SE said in their recent financials they want to focus more on multiplatform development and been bragging how their engine (luminous) is very flexible and can scale to many platforms (pc, consoles, mobile etc). Recently also said they plan to bring mobile titles to Vita/PS4.

Current SE strikes me as a company that want their games to reach to as many people as possible, I can see them making mainline DQ go multiplatform.

Oregano

It is unthinkable that MH would go back to consoles. The amount of sales they would lose is not something one could simply pay as a compensation. Besides, they would leave it open for other game from the same genre to take over the portable audience.

Monster Hunter on consoles is bigger than all the other Hunting Action games. I don't think the Vita release have benefitted from MH's absence and no one is trying on 3DS so they don't have much to worry about.

It's more than just DQ11 though. Pretty much all publishers are making an effort to get their content on PS4 for the western market. You just have to look at how many games have gone from Vita to Vita/PS4 for their sequels.

Vita isn't in a very healthy place now, nevermind in 10 years time. Stronger platforms don't last that long.

Well Horii said it's not mobile and strongly implied a console release. That's just the facts, everything else is speculation and I'll leave that conversation there.

Sandfox

I don't see the logic in Capcom bringing MH back to Sony now.

The Vita isn't going to last another 10+ years and those devs will probably just move to Nintendo or mobile if they want money in Japan.

small44

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't mean they won't try though.

They're expecting over a million for MH4U on 3DS. They would be expecting massive growth on the PS4.

Come on they can't be that crazy to do that

Nobody is using vita power ,what's the point of buying a powerfull consoles if you're game don't ude it at all

Takao

Banned
The last two MH games have given Capcom "free" money through HD ports. If Capcom doesn't think Wii U is up to it, perhaps MH4U HD is a PS3/PSV/PS4 game? That's one way to provide cross-play...

The last two MH games have given Capcom "free" money through HD ports. If Capcom doesn't think Wii U is up to it, perhaps MH4U HD is a PS3/PSV/PS4 game? That's one way to provide cross-play...

what about Monster Hunter Portable 4th ?

they used the home numeration for 3DS latest games, so the "Portable slot" is empty

Takao

Banned
what about Monster Hunter Portable 4th ?

they used the home numeration for 3DS latest games, so the "Portable slot" is empty

If real deal Monster Hunter is ever coming back to PlayStation, I'd bet on it being a port and not something approaching an original game. With the mainline entries now being portable, the Portable in MHP is now superfluous. A MHP4 would have to offer something different, and I can't see that happening.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2015 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

01./00. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 221.076 / NEW
02./01. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo) - 74.985 / 311.521
03./00. [PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) - 31.823 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] The Order: 1886 # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) - 26.288 / NEW

05./0?. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) - 18.430 / 2.468.439
06./00. [PS4] Dead or Alive 5: Last Round # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) - 18.836 / NEW
07./07. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) - 12.803 / 67.270
08./00. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5: Last Round # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) - 11.455 / NEW
09./0?. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) - 8.872 / 2.726.509
10./0?. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4-II <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) - 8.738 / 55.661
11./00. [PSV] Hakuoki: Zuisouroku - Omokagebana - 7.366 / NEW
12./??. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) - 7.289 / 2.254.808
13./??. [PS4] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) - 6.594 / 44.642
14./??. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate <ACT> (Capcom) - 5.902 / 2.503.203
15./??. [PSV] Samurai Warriors 4-II <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) - 5.085 / 27.062
16./00. [PSV] Otoko Yuukaku <ADV> (D3 Publisher) - 4.905 / NEW
17./17. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) - 4.724 / 924.896
18./??. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4-II <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) - 4.123 / 25.369
19./19. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) - 3.781 / 3.124.530
20./??. [WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse <ACT> (Nintendo) - 3.676 / 62.637
21./??. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U <FTG> (Nintendo) - 3.672 / 609.074
22./??. [PS3] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) - 3.528 / 44.571
23./??. [PS4] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) - 3.082 / 57.508
24./00. [PSV] Furaiki 3 <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) - 2.859 / NEW
25./??. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf <ETC> (Nintendo) - 2.792 / 4.295.161
26./??. [PS3] Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) - 2.397 / 16.719
27./??. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco) - 2.080 / 359.994
28./00. [XB1] Dead or Alive 5: Last Round # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) - 2.052 / NEW
29./??. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) - 2.028 / 113.292
30./00. [PS4] Terraria (??) - 1.936 / NEW

Top 30

3DS - 7
PS4 - 7
PS3 - 7
PSV - 5
WIU - 3
XB1 - 1

Famitsu Hardware
Vita - 33525
3DS - 31200
PS4 - 23210
Wii U - 5346
PS3 - 4764
XB1 - 908

Road

Minecraft on PlayStation has sold more than 500k in Japan across all formats (PS3, PSV, PS4): http://www.famitsu.com/news/201502/25072536.html

Famitsu as of January 25th

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-06-24} - 234,952
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-10-29} - 198,335
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-12-25} - 49,479

Total 482,766.

Pretty close, I guess.

Shizuka

Famitsu as of January 25th

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-06-24} - 234,952
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-10-29} - 198,335
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition [PlayStation Store] {DL} {2014-12-25} - 49,479

Total 482,766.

Pretty close, I guess.

I wonder if Vita sales will surpass the PS3 soon.

Vena

The free money comes from the fact that they were: an up-port with little to no new assets/changes/resolution updates on their textures, and a full-priced expansion with a lot of recycled content.

Making a 4U/4G for the PS4 won't fly unless they redo a lot of it, and they'd just be better off throwing that sort of "easy port" to the WiiU again if they were to bother.

Monster Hunter on consoles is bigger than all the other Hunting Action games. I don't think the Vita release have benefitted from MH's absence and no one is trying on 3DS so they don't have much to worry about.

Monster Hunter isn't really a game for consoles anymore, its been a long, long time now. The suggestion here would be for Capcom to not only abandon the world's current leading platform, but to abandon a major demographic of players that do NOT have or want a console. To make a 4DS/PS4/Vita whatever MH5 would be a huge clusterfuck of resources that guarantees little to nothing for the latter two platforms outside of a possible middling success.

And this is entirely presupposing that Nintendo literally does nothing while Sony greases the gears... which they obviously wouldn't.

Top Bottom