• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre Chicago Style Pizza Produces Moderator Power Struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I want a deep dish pizza now.

Chicago may be number 1, but do they have a Sbarro's? That's like my favorite NYC pizza place. ;)

76c064e8394e2c969cf153aa0ebaf644.jpg

Apath

I've never even been to Chicago and even I know that deep-dish being "Chicago style" is a myth.

From everyone I've talked to, including ChicagoGAF, true Chicago style pizza is thin crust cut into squares. The deep-dish variety is much more rare, and is more of a tourist attraction than anything else.
Not true.

It's pizza with more cheese, sauce, and taller crust. Some deep dish pizzas I like, some I don't. Not sure if everyone saying it's not pizza is just salty or trolling.

Bry0

Not true.

It's pizza with more cheese, sauce, and taller crust. Some deep dish pizzas I like, some I don't. Not sure if everyone saying it's not pizza is just salty or trolling.

He's not trolling, a lot of the smaller pizzerias in the suburbs serve the square cut thin sliced stuff, but yeah deep dish is big too. Calling deep dish a "tourist attraction" is silly.

Also, to the poster a few spots above, yes there are Sbarros in a few malls in the suburbs.

Bry0

I mean, sure, it's not LITERALLY for tourists (although you'll probably find a lot of them at the average deep fish place). But it's not something you eat for the same reasons as most pizza. It's a long meal, sit down with your family kind of thing. I don't know anyone who eats it more than a couple times a year.

Yeah very true. My family always orders the cracker thin stuff, deep dish is like you said, twice a year.
I always thought the pan pizza at Silo in Lake Bluff destroys every other pizza in the state though. So amazingly good.

boxter432

Gino's is awesome. Patty sausage deep dish is my favorite pizza of all time. Giordano's was good too, but I crave the patty sausage at Gino's..and their moz sticks are great.

I am going to try out the new Giordano's on Friday that just opened in Minneapolis. I have family in Chicago so have been there a zillion times. Had Lou Malnatti's deep dish solo pizza when I was there for work about a month ago, it was super good as well.

at my grandpa's in the southwest suburbs, we get the thin crust square cut pizzas (used to get Pizza Pete in the early 90's before it closed, now we get Traverso's). also delicious.

LProtag

While everyone's fighting between Chicago and NYC you're all neglecting that New Haven is the best city for pizza.

Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, BAR. All amazing pies.

Chicago-style thin crust > Chicago-style deep dish > New York flap of sauceless dough with bad cheese on top.

Its not just that Chicago has better pizza than New York, but it has two completely different types of pizza that are better than New York.

Fonds

Wow, where are all my Europeans at in this thread?!

I'm having a stroke just looking at these abominations. These are Quiches with pizza flavour, disgusting.

I've traveled to NYC and Chicago several times for business/pleasure. I've had friends/family/girlfriends who've lived there bring me to their favorite places. I've also have had the "tourist" pizza (The place from the Louis intro/Gino's East).

Let me say this: New York City (including Brooklyn) has the worst pizza I've ever had in my life. I've probably eaten at 10 different spots. They're all tasteless and lack substance. Especially the places where the slices sit out waiting to be re-heated. Low on sauce. Kraft mozzarella. Cooked with little effort at cheapest cost.

20110218-joes-beauty-thumb-500x332-141446.jpg

Chicago is much, much better. I'm not even necessarily talking deep dish (though also great). That corn meal crust. Chunky sauce. Gooey heavy cheese. The pizza is much more expensive and takes way more time, but it's worth it.

chicago-deep-dish1.jpg

The best pizza I've ever had? Weirdly enough in London.

I'm from Minneapolis, so maybe it's because I've lived here long enough to find exactly what I want - but it easily takes 2nd place.

jman2050

I'm gonna abstain from the NY-Chicago tire fire this time around and just say that Orlando being 4th sounds correct and Valdiano's is the best pizzaria in the Orlando area by a mile.

That is all.

minx

People state that Chicago deep dish isn't real pizza because they knows it's better. Guess what... Chicago also has amazing thin pizza... New York however.... No amazing Chicago style deep dish in sight.

Chris R

So glad to see Moose's Tooth ranked #3 for best Pizza joint in the country.

People in the lower 48 don't know what they are missing.

I've traveled to NYC and Chicago several times for business/pleasure. I've had friends/family/girlfriends who've lived there bring me to their favorite places. I've also have had the "tourist" pizza (The place from the Louis intro/Gino's East).

Wait, are you talking about Ben's Pizza? On MacDougal? While it is famous, the pizza isn't exactly the greatest. The better slice is down the street, at Artichoke Basille's. Their artichoke pizza is the most delicious slice I've had in New York so far. Admittedly, I haven't been to many places yet, so if anyone has a better slice, let me know.

Stealth pizza recommendation request.

Capri's Pizza (the pizza with no cheese) reminds me of a pizza I have at this place called the Wine Loft in Long Branch, NJ.

As far as pizza goes, I have learned to love coal fired. Definitely adds a good taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom