• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre Chicago Style Pizza Produces Moderator Power Struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but Chicago deep pan "pizza" is more akin to some kind of savory cake abomination than a real pizza.

pizza-slice-570x412.jpg

That's actually not a good representation of deep dish. Makes the pizza look thicker than it actually is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Let the two most boastful and irrational senses of self-aggrandizement go at it.

New York pizza is good because pizza is good. Same with Chicago.

I do not like the damp, soft slice of the NY style, but I do like the very slightly sour cheese taste. Chicago deep dish I have to be in the mood for, but let's not pretend it tastes bad. It doesn't.

My jam is thin crust Neapolitan style, whcih you can get perfect authentic renditions of in any city bigger than a half million people.

Also NY pizza and the "magic" water is the second most exaggerated foodstuff after CHik Fil A.

In N Out a close third. All delicious, all wildly overrated tho.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I enjoy deep dish Chicago pizza, but I've never classified it in the same category as other Pizza. There are some incredible Pizza places all over the place so I can't say for sure what city has the best. I know the local Pizzerias around me are all I need.

Every city with Little Caesars is a city with the best Pizza.

This deserves a good hearty slap.

werks

Banned
I don't know what you guys are arguing about. Desano's pizza is the best pizza in the U.S. and they arnt in either Chicago or NY.

140207-desano-sausage.jpg

BokehKing

Banned
Gtfo with these results, any mom and pop shop in Brooklyn or Long Island is better than Chicago pizza, I had their thin crust and deep dish, nothing to write home about

People still believing only deep dish pizza is served in Chicago *sigh*

Gtfo with these results, any mom and pop shop in Brooklyn or Long Island is better than Chicago pizza, I had their thin crust and deep dish, nothing to write home about

You and everyone in this forum have apparently eaten at all the hundreds of pizza joints in Chicago

kendrid

Banned

That is a silly statement. There are tons of incredible mom and pop pizza shops all around Chicago that make better pizza that Lous, Ginos, etc. Most of these "best" comparisons are done by tourists visiting a city for a few days. You live in/near NY so you know all the small good places to go. I live near Chicago and know of great mom and pop places.

BokehKing

Banned
You and everyone in this forum have apparently eaten at all the hundreds of pizza joints in Chicago
No of course not, but like I said, any Vinnie/Vincents/Marco's/Angelo's Pizza on Long Island or Brooklyn is superior.

Next thing you know someone is going to tell me NY don't have the best bagels

BokehKing

Banned
Any list that has the state of Florida in a top 5 of pizza is automatically invalid to me.

Eat cardboard with sauce
Disgusting

Ehhh... New York Pizza is Highly overrated. I've never cared for it and found it strange that people were so protective of it. I like pizza with tons of shit on it and a good crust. The weirder the pizza, the better.

acting like chicago doesn't have thin crust pizza too, lol

This. I think a lot of people aren't aware that we have "pizza" pizza too.

Deep dish pizza is very much a special occasion or "night out" kind of thing. If a Chicagoan is at home and a buddy says "let's order a pizza" 8 times out of 10, they'll be ordering this:

6998779575_0016318895_b.jpg

Sweeter sauce, crispier crust, and thicker cheese cut into squares compared to New York, but still, clearly, regular pizza. And amazing.

Lunar15

I can understand thinking New York style pizza is better, or even that Chicago Style isn't really pizza, but I can't understand who would hate on chicago style pizza, because man, when it's good, it's fucking good. Call it a meat-sauce pie if you want, but man, when they do the crust right, it's really, really great.

Also, what's the consensus on Sicilian? Is this considered pizza as well?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand thinking New York style pizza is better, or even that Chicago Style isn't really pizza, but I can't understand who would hate on chicago style pizza, because man, when it's good, it's fucking good. Call it a meat-sauce pie if you want, but man, when they do the crust right, it's really, really great.

Also, what's the consensus on Sicilian? Is this considered pizza as well
?

The shape shouldn't disqualify it from being pizza. It's pizza.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't know what you guys are arguing about. Desano's pizza is the best pizza in the U.S. and they arnt in either Chicago or NY.

140207-desano-sausage.jpg

I feel like this is the most trendy style of pizza that's becoming more and more common. At least I'm seeing it all over Dallas and Houston with pizzerias having these "stone fired" offerings. It's damn good too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
1. This thread already exists

2. Tripadvisor is, in fact, not an ultimate culinary authority.

Hahahaha what a joke. Chicago style, deep-dish pizza is not even a pizza, it's a tomato pie.

Ignoring that, though, I'm sure that Chicago has hundreds of other restaurants that serve a more typical style of pizza, whether it be a neopolitan style, New York style, Greek style, or some other alternative. Chicago has one of the best dining scenes in the world, so it makes sense to be at the top of any list of "City with the best [food item]," but Chicago-style deep dish pizza is not pizza. It's bread pudding with tomatoes and meat.

werks

Banned
I feel like this is the most trendy style of pizza that's becoming more and more common. At least I'm seeing it all over Dallas and Houston with pizzerias having these "stone fired" offerings. It's damn good too.
Honestly I didn't post that pizza because it's just another brick oven open flame pizza. It is literally the best pizza I've ever had in the U.S. Every time I go to a major city, I try their best rated open flame pizza and I'm always disappointed because they can't compare to Desano's. The combination of Desano's pizza and jenis ice cream makes me miss Nashville.

photo2.jpg

348s.jpg

If you are ever in Nashville, charleston or LA, try out Desano's. BYOB, community seating and better than pizza you will have in Nyc or Chicago.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
As a Pizzeria Uno club member, of the NY chapter, who regularly attends Insider™ events, I welcome this news with open arms.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom