• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Cronut: Croissant-Donut Hybrid Takes Pastry World by Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...onut-hybrid-takes-pastry-world-201923707.html

^ Video in article

Meet the cronut, the half-croissant and half-donut hybrid, which is taking New York and the pastry world by storm.

"It has the shape of a donut. The dough is very similar to croissant dough," pastry chef Domnique Ansel said of his newest creation. "Back in France, we all eat croissants. [A] donut was something I didn't really know before coming here to the states."

The cronut, from the kitchen of Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City, is made up of layers of croissant dough that are deep fried and filled with vanilla cream. Its insides are flaky and light and its shell is crispy and warm.

"You want the outside to be golden brown and crisp," Ansel told ABC News while demoing his method to making the new popular pastry.

Then, the crisp creations are rolled in rose sugar and finished with a rose glaze. This month flavor is vanilla cream with rose frosting and candied rose petals, but Ansel says it will change to keep things fresh.

Ansel, a 2013 James Beard Award finalist for Outstanding Pastry Chef, admits that putting his French twist on the American classic wasn't an easy task.

"We [tried] about 10 different recipes and the first ones were a total disaster," he explained with a laugh. "If you just used regular dough, the butter will melt, the layers will slide off and you won't have anything that's nice."

Ultimately, Ansel found the winning formula, and now, his hybrid is selling like hotcakes…or well, like cronuts. Since they debuted nine days ago, New Yorkers have been lining up outside his bakery every morning to taste the popular pastry, which sells for $5 each. The bakery has reportedly sold out of cronuts within an hour of opening.

dominique-ansel-bakery-cronut-ny.jpg
cronut-side-view.jpg

20130512-251869-Dominique-Ansel-Bakery-cronut-1-edit.jpg
20130512-251869-Dominique-Ansel-Bakery-cronut-edit.jpg

306789_613779041985226_820180631_n.jpg
cronut2.jpg

More pics at http://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/soho/cronut

For the moment, you'll have to line up bright and early for these bad boys -- they've been selling out within minutes the first few days they've been on the market. But we taste-tested them, and you can rest assured that the icing-topped, flakey, sweet, cream-filled treats definitely "back up the hype" and are "holy sh*t good". Check out the photos and what our cronut-testers had to say, and be jealous that you're not wiping parts of one off your face right now:

jdouglas

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical when you said "by storm", thinking "how can a pastry really cause that much of a stir in the general public?" But then I saw it.

Silkworm

I recently made loafs of brioche. I know they have a version to make them as small bioche balls. I wonder if they were deep fried if they'd be like some sort of brioche-donut hole hybrid, maybe call it a dioche? :p

Davey Cakes

Those look delicious!

Maybe a little bit too much sugar and frosting, though. They can lighten up on that stuff when the pastry itself is decadent.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Never heard of this being a "thing" in NYC before now, but I've made them in the past with scrap croissant dough. Indulgent and tasty for sure, but I prefer a well-made croissant just the way it is.

[edit] Now I'm actually getting kind of upset that this guy is making bank on an idea that myself and no doubt others have done as a joke. :\

I recently made loafs of brioche. I know they have a version to make them as small bioche balls. I wonder if they were deep fried if they'd be like some sort of brioche-donut hole hybrid, maybe call it a dioche? :p

Heh, I've made these before too. Brioche donuts filled with dark chocolate mousse is something worth dying for.

A deep-fried croissant filled with vanilla cream and dusted with powdered sugar sounds like my dream pastry. Maybe get an almond croissant version in there, too.

Stasis

Damn, this is one of those moments I miss living in NYC. These moments tend to relate to food. I hope this comes to Montreal soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom