• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Universe gameplay trailers

jarosh

watching the full trailer again in 720p...

i like how some of the tiles are obviously badly scaled 8-bit/low res tiles and others look like low poly 3d models and some like very basic flat shapes with some photoshop layer effects or awful web 2.0 gradients and fake embossing. look closely, the wood man ceiling tiles even have some drawn fake depth and extrusion for no good reason. an effect which is of course missing from all the other tiles, some of which actually seem to be drawn or rendered from an entirely different angle.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jarosh said:
well, nsmb wii looked about a million times better than this. and it most certainly wasn't bland. it had a little thing called "consistency" and a proper sense of scale. it looked like all the characters and enemies and backgrounds belonged to the same universe.

Yeah. It didn't do much in the way of fanciness, but it was clean and cute enough, and some screenshots made for great wallpapers too!

The more I watch the trailer, the more I think it looks awful. No consistency, poor use of technology. I wonder which one got the biggest budget and development team: MM9/10 or this. I'm leaning towards the former.

DeVeAn

neo2046 said:
Wahk6Tk07D_gg86aBw49D51dQ3UUHE81
This is "American" Mega Man. I gotta say its insulting.

depths20XX

So is the mega man character supposed to be some insult to the western audience? sure seems like it when they make the rock man one look fairly legit.

depths20XX said:
So is the mega man character supposed to be some insult to the western audience? sure seems like it when they make the rock man one look fairly legit.
Considering Inafking would probably pay $1000 to drink the sweat from an American's balls, I doubt it's an intentional insult.

depths20XX

Segata Sanshiro said:
Considering Inafking would probably pay $1000 to drink the sweat from an American's balls, I doubt it's an intentional insult.

Lol :lol . I guess I just don't understand why he looks any different than Rock Man. Unless there's something I'm missing.

depths20XX said:
Lol :lol . I guess I just don't understand why he looks any different than Rock Man. Unless there's something I'm missing.
Other than the angry eyes and the sculpted muscles, I'm not really getting it either.

wwm0nkey

I dont get why people are so angry, I mean yeah this isnt my favorite version of Megaman, but I mean there are a lot of different version of him and this is just a new addition.

I will still probably buy this but I will be mostly waiting for Megaman Legends 3 which im hoping will be officially announced at TGS since Inafune hinted at the announcement coming soon.

Wizpig

jarosh said:
well, nsmb wii looked about a million times better than this. and it most certainly wasn't bland. it had a little thing called "consistency" and a proper sense of scale. it looked like all the characters and enemies and backgrounds belonged to the same universe.
NSMBWii is pretty bland, and also uninspired just like Mario Party.
Just look at Mario (character) in Galaxy and then Mario in NSMBWii.

Other than that, i don't get all the hate over MMU graphics.
It's not supposed to be consistent, it's like Super Smash Bros... you can feel that Powered Up was better (I don't think so) because it was ALL cute and chibi... you can't expect such a thing from MMU.

I think MMU looks awesome in motion, except for the jumping animation, i'm not a fan of that... but still, they pretty much "got it" already, without need to rush changes in the graphics and physichs after the hate from the fans like what happened with Sonic 4.

mollipen

DeVeAn said:
This is "American" Mega Man. I gotta say its insulting.

I have no clue why people are saying that Mega Man is insulting. To me, it just seems like a joke on how a lot of characters (like Kirby) end up F'N ANGRY on US box art and whatnot compared to the Japanese counterparts.

I find pissed off, sick of this crap, shit just got real Mega Man pretty hilarious.

I totally get what they are doing with Megaman.

It's that new age, Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon awful Powerpuff Girls type art. Yeah it's bad. He's trying to remind you how badly America sucks.

Rockman looks good. And it's clearly just 3d version of 8-Bit stuff, specifically MM1 and 2. I understand the direction and I like it.

Now if it comes with all 46 stages and robot masters, tunes, and enemies from the original 6 games, lets me use any of the objects from the games for stage editing, something like that, I'm very happy indeed.

Rockman is in. He looks good. The rest is there for parody (megaman, US megaman) or fun (Arthur, Ryu).

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if UK Megaman shows up next. I might piss myself with laughter at that.

Forkball

I still don't get the Mega Man joke. Is he supposed to be a joke about how Americans want everything to be more Xtreme? But Mega Man never looked like that, it's like joking about something no one ever did. WHAT'S IN YOUR MIND, INAFUNE?

Lijik

Arpharmd B said:
I totally get what they are doing with Megaman.

It's that new age, Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon awful Powerpuff Girls type art. Yeah it's bad. He's trying to remind you how badly America sucks.
Call me crazy but I don't think this is what they were aiming for. At all.
Shidoshi nailed it, this on the other hand makes no fucking sense when every character but Rockman is using the same artstyle as american mega man.

The joke is he's angry, not the way he's drawn.

Forkball said:
I still don't get the Mega Man joke. Is he supposed to be a joke about how Americans want everything to be more Xtreme? But Mega Man never looked like that, it's like joking about something no one ever did. WHAT'S IN YOUR MIND, INAFUNE?

I'm more questioning the dude's style choices.

Abercrombie T, really? Bad hair, too much gel. You could probably smash a boulder off that doo.

Saiduck09

Neo Member
at least looking at him you can tell hes supposed to be megaman, he looks much better than this i think. i was iffy but okay on .exe, but that other dude i dont even know whats going on with him, hes like some kind of space man peacock?

mega-man-battle-network-remake-set-for-ds-20090715091601318-000.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
TruePrime said:
Seems like only rock characters if the back ground is anything to go by. Well it just means that I will skip it with out X being a playable character.
oh god get over yourself

Eccocid

Arpharmd B said:
I'm more questioning the dude's style choices.

Abercrombie T, really? Bad hair, too much gel. You could probably smash a boulder off that doo.

Japanese ppl love those trendy brands. Abercrombie, Tommy,Gap...

.la1n

Eccocid said:
Japanese ppl love those trendy brands. Abercrombie, Tommy,Gap...

news flash americans do too, I shop at Armani, Express, Abercrombie almost exclusively. No i'm not better than you I just like there clothes. Do I get shunned from geek village now?

.la1n said:
news flash americans do too, I shop at Armani, Express, Abercrombie almost exclusively. No i'm not better than you I just like there clothes. Do I get shunned from geek village now?
No, but I'm afraid Grammar Heights is going to have to reject your application.

This game just looks so weird, like there was something glitching when they recorded footage. The colors on the player models have something strange... like there's something wrong with the lighting or textures. I don't know exactly what it is.

But I saw the Metal Blade in there, which means Metal Man is probably in there, so it's probably gonna play awesome as fuck.

godhandiscen said:
qqbjO.jpg

This guy needs to be a character.

:lol
Okay what's the story with this image? I know it's from the cartoon series, but is it a photoshop or frame of animation that looked like that?

But back on topic. I'm still not very hyped, but really interested in the potential. I really hope there are actual DIFFERENCES in the various characters, and they're not solely re-skins.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
dankir said:
Now that I've watched even more footage. I HATE THE JUMPING ANIMATION EVEN MORE...........

FIX

THAT

SHIT!

Yup. Trying to recreate an 2-frame sprite animation with smooth 30 fps 3D model animation is a bad idea if you don't know what you're doing.

Here's some new details that were dropped from PAX

-Subtle implication that there's more than one type of play style; trailers only showed the "tip of the iceberg."

-Customization is a big part of the game. Capcom rep. strongly hinted at a stage editor of sorts.

-Ryu, as well as the three Mega Man variants, are confirmed as playable characters. Hints of a large roster of playable characters.

-Not only do the three Mega Men differ in appearance (Mega Man, Bad Box Art Mega Man and Rockman), they each have their own play styles and abilities. Bad Box Art Mega Man, for instance, can fire two shots at a time.

-The "angry" Mega Man was designed by Masafumi Kimoto. Why is he so angry? That's just Kimoto's style, apparently.

-Although the trailers made it seem like MMU is largely influenced by Mega Man 2, there's a "very good possibility" we'll be seeing content from other Mega Man games.

-Mega Man Universe not making it to Wii has to do with the file size limitations of Nintendo's WiiWare service. Capcom noted they would like to be able to support a Wii version, but couldn't at this time.

-Target release date of Spring 2011.

-"Everything we've shown will make more sense" come Tokyo Game Show, according to the rep.

MoxManiac

So does that mean this is a DD release ala PSN/XBLA? The WiiWare comment makes me think so. Sorry if this was confirmed one way or another and I missed it.

Wizpig

MoxManiac said:
So does that mean this is a DD release ala PSN/XBLA? The WiiWare comment makes me think so. Sorry if this was confirmed one way or another and I missed it.
It's confirmed.

XBLA / PSN DD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
-Mega Man Universe not making it to Wii has to do with the file size limitations of Nintendo's WiiWare service. Capcom noted they would like to be able to support a Wii version, but couldn't at this time.
Wait, does that imply this game is an XBLA/PSN game? So sold, I was going to shell out $60 for a retail copy.

Now I just have to hope Capcom doesn't nickel and dime us with DLC to much.

Drkirby said:
Wait, does that imply this game is an XBLA/PSN game? So sold, I was going to shell out $60 for a retail copy.

Considering how much dlc there was for MM9/10 and the implications of having level edits/guest characters/entirety of MM world/it being called Mega Man UNIVERSE I think it's safe to say this game is being made to have TONS of dlc.

Wizpig

Drkirby said:

Heh, I wish it was a retail game...

Top Bottom