• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Metagross Confirmed In Corocoro (Pokemon)

ChrisD

What do you guys think is the likelihood of the Battle Frontier being in Pokémon ORAS?

Dl5C6ql.jpg

If it's not in I'm not buying.

That's just how it be.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like you're wanting a completely different game though, not a Pokemon game. Hopefully they make a spinoff that suits your interests one of these days.

This is a very lazy rebuttal designed to implicate me as "not being a true fan of the series". Here are some things I would appreciate the next game doing, which I do not think would make it a "completely different game".

* Reworking the IV, EV and nature system. The entire philosophy of the single player campaigns, as encapsulated by Karen, is "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people." However, the actual game mechanics promote using a ruthless and time-consuming method of eugenics, because a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Blaziken is factually superior to a 0/0/0/0/0/0, no matter how good you are. If the series ethos was true, then with careful training, my very first starter Pokemon ought to be able to rumble with the best of them; this is patently untrue and it's very jarring. Besides not fitting the series ethos, the IV, EV and nature system is also bizarrely secretive - most of the pieces that make it work are hidden away from the player, and not explained well or even at all in the games. Given they're such a key part of the competitive scene, this seems an awful way of doing things - players are functionally discouraged from ever playing the game at the top level.

* A greater degree of variation and customization, both trainer and Pokemon. All the way back in Pokemon Stadium, if you nicknamed a Pokemon, it appeared slightly different to other Pokemon of the same species: that was done by just changing the textures slightly in a random manner. I can accept why they'd not do this in the sprite era, because of the manpower involved, but this was totally feasible for X/Y. It's minor touches, like slight variation in the scale of the models dependent on pID, or slight variation in texturing. Maybe a very few model differences for each model which get randomly selected. Anything that makes Kamen, my Heracross, feel like different and unique compared to Raida, your Heracross. Equally, trainer customization. XY had an okay-ish implementation of this, but it didn't go half as far as it needed to and they've already pulled this feature. Pokemon is perhaps one of the ultimate role insertion games, and every little kid dreams of being able to actually be a Pokemon Trainer, and yet Nintendo is as obstinate as possible in actually allowing this to happen.

* Make the internal mechanics much more accessible. Take a look at the damage formula: damage = (((((2*level)+10)/250)*(ATK/DEF)*Base)+2)*rand[85,100]. What does that even mean (I know what it actually means, I'm being rhetorical). There's no need for it to be this complicated. Why is there a modifier according to your level there? As your Pokemon levels up, it gets stronger regardless. If they want level to have a bigger impact, build it into the levelling process. Why not make the damage formula something like: (ATK + Base - DEF)*rand? That is, something kids can actually figure out, so they feel like they're more in control and have real tangible inputs? Pokemon can take a leaf from Fire Emblem here: in Fire Emblem, before I make an attack, I know roughly how much damage it will do and why it will do that much. I know this for two reasons: firstly because there's a handy box doing the calculations for me, in case I can't, and secondly, Fire Emblem's mechanics are simple enough compared to Pokemon's I can do it anyway. Even if you keep the old complicated formula, why not explain it to the player? At the moment, there's no sense of scale to anything. Is 234 ATK good? Bad? What does it mean? Why do I care? I'm just picking on one formula here, but this can be extended to basically the entire game. The mechanics of Pokemon are as opaque as it gets.

* Rebalancing. This is something basically every other series with a long-running competitive scene makes a conscious effort to do, but with Pokemon it's absolutely minimal. The metagame sustains basically no variation, and essentially all teams revolve around "heavy offence" with the usual few suspects - Tyranitar, Thundurus, Aegislash, Rotom-Wash, etc. Nintendo doesn't even host many tournaments in singles, the original battle style and focus of the series, because they're aware it's pretty dysfunctional.

* The single-player campaign needs some shaking up. Eight gyms/evil team/Elite Four is just so boring, it's been done so many times. The world of Pokemon is huge, there's so much potential in the material to work with, and this is what gets returned to every single time. Shake up the story, try out new things with new characters. It's not just plot boringness, though, the single-player campaign is actually just really bad full stop. A player can finish the single-player campaign, go into multiplayer, and get absolutely slaughtered. Usually, the point of single-player game in multiplayer-centric series is to prepare people for the entry-level of the multiplayer, by teaching them the basic mechanics involved and putting them up against AI that can, at the very least, mimic poor-to-average human play. The Pokemon single-player campaign does none of this. It doesn't teach you how IVs work, how EVs work, what a good team composition is, how to put together a team with strong synergy, etc. Hell, it doesn't even really touch you how double-battles work! Why do most gym-leaders use less than four Pokemon? Why are the Elite Four, supposedly the strongest players bar the Champion in the game, type-themed? Nobody in multiplayer uses a type-themed team except for laughs! Make the Elite Four have teams with an strategy to them - a Baton Pass E4 member, a stall E4 member, a heavy offense E4 member, etc. Actually expose the players to the entry-level of the multiplayer.

There's more stuff, this is just a few that particularly annoy me. Suffice to say, none of these things would constitute a "spin-off". It just constitutes GameFreak actually deciding to renovate the series in the manner it deserves.

Crab, that's completely different than what you were talking about earlier. A lot of those changes seem more reasonable. I don't think it's really necessary to change the whole 8 gyms and an evil team thing though, as long as they sufficiently change up the details.

Of course, the balancing stuff is wrong. From generation to generation, the meta game shifts a lot. It's not always the same thing. Most recently, weather was nerfed pretty badly, so now bulky offense characters (like the ones you mentioned) are more common.

Renta

Banned
I kind of expected the official site to update by now with the corocoro info. It still doesnt even mention the secret bases yet.

Brawly looks way cool.

Also, Steven looks awesome, he's super streamlined, I love it.

How do you guys feel about the GBADex? I think it's kinda neat.

Feel like it's worth pointing out that we didn't know of the existence of around 14 Mega Evolutions prior to XY leaks/launch.

There will be a nice big batch of ORAS Mega Evos we won't know about. Don't worry.

[alot of great ideas and stuff]

If it makes you feel any better, I agree with everything you said and totally believe its doable in one generation. What you said is nothing hard to do at all and we've seen developers do amazing things with their competitive MP games before (Melee's amazing balance despite 13 month dev time, for example) so given the time it takes for GF to do put out another generation, they can definitely come up with a solution with Pokemon's current hurdles.

The insanely time-consuming breeding/training that discourages anyone wanting to, y'know, do other things that aren't running up and down a route for perfect IV shiny Rotom and the singleplayer campaign being useless for MP guidance and being highly stagnant where we get the same formula every time are two biggest issues for me, actually. I think anyone who has been with the franchise for a while can see the same thing going on too.

spiritfox

If it makes you feel any better, I agree with everything you said and totally believe its doable in one generation. What you said is nothing hard to do at all and we've seen developers do amazing things with their competitive MP games before (Melee's amazing balance despite 13 month dev time, for example) so given the time it takes for GF to do put out another generation, they can definitely come up with a solution with Pokemon's current hurdles.

The insanely time-consuming breeding/training that discourages anyone wanting to, y'know, do other things that aren't running up and down a route for perfect IV shiny Rotom and the singleplayer campaign being useless for MP guidance and being highly stagnant where we get the same formula every time are two biggest issues for me, actually. I think anyone who has been with the franchise for a while can see the same thing going on too.

They have already made IV breeding and EV training much easier this gen, so it's a start.

They have already made IV breeding and EV training much easier this gen, so it's a start.

Yea, Super Training and Hordes are a godsend. I got four Mawiles done at the same time with Hordes last year, actually. Breeding's new functions are also great. It still takes forever (especially with no outside help) but the new features in XY definitely helped me do more breeding.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab, that's completely different than what you were talking about earlier. A lot of those changes seem more reasonable. I don't think it's really necessary to change the whole 8 gyms and an evil team thing though, as long as they sufficiently change up the details.

It's not different. These are the changes I've always wanted, and the changes the series should have been making for a long time. Most of that stuff should have been done generations ago.

Of course, the balancing stuff is wrong. From generation to generation, the meta game shifts a lot. It's not always the same thing. Most recently, weather was nerfed pretty badly, so now bulky offense characters (like the ones you mentioned) are more common.

The meta shifts in terms of what is the focus, but the metagame diversity doesn't. Gen 6 is all heavy offensive, Gen 5 was all hyper offense. You have to go back to Gens 2 and 3 to find healthy and diverse metagames which supported a wide array of styles.

DaBoss

Serebii:
We now have more images from John Lenoso which show various forms of Pikachu which appear to be related to the contests. Madam Pikachu & Hard Rock Pikachu on the first image, and Idol Pikachu, Doctor Pikachu and Masked Pikachu on the second. It also confirms that Pokémon Amie returns.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The new artstyle is pretty dull, though. Everyone has really rounded faces and huge eyes now. :/

Serebii:
We now have more images from John Lenoso which show various forms of Pikachu which appear to be related to the contests. Madam Pikachu & Hard Rock Pikachu on the first image, and Idol Pikachu, Doctor Pikachu and Masked Pikachu on the second. It also confirms that Pokémon Amie returns.
So, um

wat

They're all female.

Platy

Serebii:

Idol Pikachu in Pokemon Amie ?

The game will break records in pokemon sale.

MegaMelon

I'm still incredibly pissed about the shiny Jirachi event. I'd settle for a normal one, but a shiny one with moonblast?! Why do this to me :(

LeleSocho

Banned
We must be looking at different redesigns, because Steven hardly looks any different than he always has. Its probably one of the most conservative redesigns I've seen in this series.

Do i need to point out every change one on one? i see 8 major design changes and every one of them is for the worse in my opinion.
You need glasses dude. It's pretty much identical.

I think i'm not the one who needs glasses here or at least if you don't need glasses i think you need a dictionary.

It's not different. These are the changes I've always wanted, and the changes the series should have been making for a long time. Most of that stuff should have been done generations ago.

The meta shifts in terms of what is the focus, but the metagame diversity doesn't. Gen 6 is all heavy offensive, Gen 5 was all hyper offense. You have to go back to Gens 2 and 3 to find healthy and diverse metagames which supported a wide array of styles.
Was that someone else then? Weren't you the one asking for Pokemon to basically change genres and incorporate like agility and stuff, Or an I imagining that?

I guess that's a decent point about the metagame. That might be more because of how the community works itself rather than anything else though.

Regiruler

Serebii:

Fuck pokemon amie, confirm super training already.

Top Bottom