• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadimension Neptunia VII |OT| Double the Nep, Double the Victory

How well does the game play? I understand each successive Neptunia plays better than the last, but is it actually good?

If relevant, I've played original Neptunia, Mugen Souls and Omega Quintet, and thought all three are absolute garbage.

kagamin

How well does the game play? I understand each successive Neptunia plays better than the last, but is it actually good?

If relevant, I've played original Neptunia, Mugen Souls and Omega Quintet, and thought all three are absolute garbage.

Those are all bad (especially the original Neptunia), the Re;Birth series is much better.

Could you get away with playing this without playing any of the other games?

Fancy something new and was wondering if this could be it...

SephLuis

Much better and actually a good game. Their games got much better after the second Neptunia.

Omega Quintet I liked because of the battle system and it`s closer to their current output.

Ryuukan

So glad it seems they got rid of whoever did the neptunia 3 script

A few hours in and the game is not constantly vomiting awful memes like the last one

Ehh, decided to pick it up and grant the series a sale that isn't a lttp cheap PC version (where I played the three Rebirth games). Helps that it sounds like it makes further improvements for the series.

kotodama

I was going to wait for the PC release because 1080p60 for days, but damn forgot that this is a PS4 release. First world problems, wait for the PC release or get the PS4 one? What to do. Need some Plutie DLC doe, lol.

HGH

Banned
Grinding kinda breaks the game, so try to limit it as much as possible.

Also one really unintentionally hilarious went as follows:
-"Oh no a horde of feral monsters is coming to raise the city!"
The reality: 4 chocobos in Santa hats.

SerTapTap

I guess we're not getting all the DLC yet, IFI said more DLC announcements later.

For the uninitiated, there's several characters, a few of which have full side stories dedicated to them, a ton of high level coliseum fights (all free), some OP and joke weapons (don't buy weapons, the game's easy enough), a level cap break (mostly just for the level 999 coliseum crap).

We already have the nightgown DLC, and it's far cheaper than the JP release was. IMO everyone looks stupid in the gowns though except Vert, Noire and Uni. The nightdown and swimsuit DLCs make Blanc look like an 8 year old. I mean. More like an 8 year old.

I gotta say I love the narrative structure this time. It's a huge breath of fresh air. And (minor midgame spoilers)
spending a few hours with the CPUs and NOT with Neptune is extremely refreshing. I kinda didn't want her back after that lol. But she feels better after a break. Series pushes her too hard, but maybe they realize that now. But I still don't think a second neptune was necessary.

first giant battle is also a giant jump in difficulty

prepare to grind

No it isn't. You can literally just spam skills and basic healing items to win that fight. There really aren't many grind-required points at all unless you deliberately skip fights. You're probably neglecting to heal. There's a few boss fights where you'll die fast if you don't play them right, but they're not because you're undereleveled.

If you're grinding you're playing it wrong, frankly. My biggest complaint is probably that the game is a bit on the easy side (but I've still gotten a few game overs). If you get KO'd once don't just assume the solution is to grind.

I was going to wait for the PC release because 1080p60 for days, but damn forgot that this is a PS4 release. First world problems, wait for the PC release or get the PS4 one? What to do. Need some Plutie DLC doe, lol.

Mostly depends on if you want to wait 6+ months + deal with whatever new issue the PC port has. IMO just get the game now since the performance is solid (only two map types have framerate drops...the game unfortunately almost immediately shoves you into BOTH of them but 95% of map types are fine.)

Could you get away with playing this without playing any of the other games?

Fancy something new and was wondering if this could be it...

Yes, the game even has some fourth-wall breaks calling out to new players. Honestly it's the BEST game in the series for new players since the gameplay and writing are great, which is why I'm pissed IFI didn't fully voice it.

Game play's great. Forget the original Neptunia and Mugen Souls even exist, not even fans will tell you the originals were good gameplay-wise. *W* Quintent I'll partially disagree with, lots of interesting stuff going on with the combat mechanics itself.

But Victory 2 is a huge leap in all regards. It's laughable to compare it to Mugen Souls/HDN1, and Omega Quintet still didn't have half the polish, and it always had terrible writing next to Neptunia.

Ryuukan

No it isn't. You can literally just spam skills and basic healing items to win that fight. There really aren't many grind-required points at all unless you deliberately skip fights. You're probably neglecting to heal. There's a few boss fights where you'll die fast if you don't play them right, but they're not because you're undereleveled.

If you're grinding you're playing it wrong, frankly. My biggest complaint is probably that the game is a bit on the easy side (but I've still gotten a few game overs). If you get KO'd once don't just assume the solution is to grind.

The thing used some two hit attack to kill uzume on its first turn. I wouldn't call that forgetting to heal imo

I was at level 12, going to fight a few battles to get 13 and try again. Maybe was just unlucky

Edit: 3rd time the charm
Getting level 13 made a difference, second time it wiped the whole party with some finisher move.

HGH

Banned
It'll get easier going on, but yeah her AoEs hit super hard. I think SirTapTap mentioned it elsewhere but lots of bosses have big damage AoEs as desperation moves, so it's sometimes best to leave a character guarding before the boss acts if they're low on health.

Too bad about the DLCs not coming out immediately, IFI were usually good with that as opposed to NISA or XSEED.

Also reading some reviews makes me seriously confused. I don't get how anyone can say the entire OST is recycled, or that the game has more recycling of assets than previous titles. Then again I brought this on myself by looking them up.

EDIT: Something I realized I liked: the dread Scout system. Everyone likes to go on "It's so arcane, it's so weird/unnecessary", but really, you eventually build up an army of scouts that pretty much constantly ferry you money and crafting items. Getting 3000 credits every 15 minutes is pretty cool! And the boosts to dungeons they give aren't half bad!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damn, I still need to finish Rebirth 2.

SerTapTap

When you get the choice, definitely go "Heart Route" not "Hyperdimension Route" on your first playthrough. Very story important and emotional.

Also reading some reviews makes me seriously confused. I don't get how anyone can say the entire OST is recycled, or that the game has more recycling of assets than previous titles. Then again I brought this on myself by looking them up.

EDIT: Something I realized I liked: the dread Scout system. Everyone likes to go on "It's so arcane, it's so weird/unnecessary", but really, you eventually build up an army of scouts that pretty much constantly ferry you money and crafting items. Getting 3000 credits every 15 minutes is pretty cool! And the boosts to dungeons they give aren't half bad!

"Standard" reviewers are idiots regarding games like this. There's a few recycled tracks but there's a ton of great new music. Game definitely has less recycling than prior games. But then some outlets reviewed Rebirth 1 with the same score is HDN1 for PS3...stuff like this is why I don't look for reviews on non-AAA games anymore. Or...at all really. Impressions from fans with similar taste are a better measuring stick.

Scout system is fine lol. You can completely ignore it if you want, it's basically free shit for minor effort. Now Stella, that was hell. Scouts never lose progress which alone makes them infinitely better.

Only particularly bad thing about Scouts is the dumb notification system. most scouts return within a minute or less of each other, they should just pop up one notification saying (X) scouts returned.

Volcynika

Played a few hours and beat the first giant fight. Enjoying it so far, liking the lack of load times. Still a bit bummed about the lack of English VA in some scenes, but I'll get used to it. And only one fanservice-y CG scene so far!

When you get the choice, definitely go "Heart Route" not "Hyperdimension Route" on your first playthrough. Very story important and emotional.

"Standard" reviewers are idiots regarding games like this. There's a few recycled tracks but there's a ton of great new music. Game definitely has less recycling than prior games. But then some outlets reviewed Rebirth 1 with the same score is HDN1 for PS3...stuff like this is why I don't look for reviews on non-AAA games anymore. Or...at all really. Impressions from fans with similar taste are a better measuring stick.

Scout system is fine lol. You can completely ignore it if you want, it's basically free shit for minor effort. Now Stella, that was hell. Scouts never lose progress which alone makes them infinitely better.

Only particularly bad thing about Scouts is the dumb notification system. most scouts return within a minute or less of each other, they should just pop up one notification saying (X) scouts returned.

Niche game reviews on mainstream sites are generally terrible. They rate them well below what the intended audience would and well above what anyone else would. Which ends up being informative to no one.

SephLuis

It'll get easier going on, but yeah her AoEs hit super hard. I think SirTapTap mentioned it elsewhere but lots of bosses have big damage AoEs as desperation moves, so it's sometimes best to leave a character guarding before the boss acts if they're low on health.

Too bad about the DLCs not coming out immediately, IFI were usually good with that as opposed to NISA or XSEED.

If it's worth it, I gave 85 on my review.http://www.ps3brasil.com/analise/645/

It's in brazilian portuguese though.

My biggest issue with the game was the last third. It felt rather rushed and the dungeons weren't interesting.

That said, I did the Hyper Dimension route and have to go back to do it the Heart route.
I find it odd that they didn't allow you to play them both like in the second act.

HGH

Banned
I saw that, it was good.
Nah the game and series will always have flaws, just sometimes I see some really weird ones pointed out.

Also having seen the credits, the middle part of the game suddenly feels much more like a giant SNES tribute. How many of you here have ever heard of a Square game called Live a Live?

SephLuis

I saw that, it was good.
Nah the game and series will always have flaws, just sometimes I see some really weird ones pointed out.

Also having seen the credits, the middle part of the game suddenly feels much more like a giant SNES tribute. How many of you here have ever heard of a Square game called Live a Live?

Heard about Live a Live but never played it.

It' has relations with Chrono Trigger, which I never played for too long, as far as I know. The only Chrono I played and finished was Cross.

Regarding Neptunia, the second part was my favorite. I loved the -Sha racracters, especially C-Sha

Volcynika

Any trick to gathering resources for plans? I need like 3 more items from Metal Guarders to make one of the first plan recipe things, but they don't drop them for anything it seems. D: Maybe I can buy parts later or something?

Tohsaka

I saw that, it was good.

I played it, great game. Too bad it never got an official localization.

Okay, I'm confused. Is there really no english subtitle overlay provided for the movies cutscene part when you choose to use the japanese voice DLC? I've been looking for that option in config and got nothing.

kotodama

From a technical standpoint, I'm digging all the battle changes and the giant battle mode as well. It really does feel like a completely different game. I do kind of miss how exploitable and brain dead easy the old Rebirth 1 and 2 systems were though. You can't just spam Formation attacks anymore lol.

All the character art is new, isn't it? Not digging the new Histoire or Compa art. Classic Histoire is the best or maybe that's a tie with Mini-Histy.

Reached the "Dream Cast" part, and I gotta say that's an interesting plot mechanism and play on the name. I like that Seaman reference too lol.

What was the Dreamcast, in some sense, was it the Valley Girl of Consoles?

Finally popped this in last night and played through the first chapter. Some quick thoughts:

I was initially thrown off wondering why the hell upon starting new game a different title screen with the same menu options was presented, but then after seeing the second opening animation and the save name data, I'm guessing it's correct to assume that this game has multiple story arcs and is treating each of them like they're own game? Cool if so. I was just weirded out after the initial cutscene showing something dark and apocalyptic, followed by giving a recap on the Gamidustri goddesses.

Thought of playing one of these games at 60 FPS and 1080 and having it NOT be the Re:Birth games on PC is kinda amazing. Battle system still feels very familiar but with a few tweaks, default camera when in dungeons is a bit too pulled far back, but otherwise everything else still feels exactly like I remembered the series playing like since Re:Birth. Just with a nicer coat of paint and better technical performance.

I know there was mention of a lot of reused music from earlier games, but it's something I only really noticed during the dialogue sections. Dungeon and battle music definitely is new.

And now that I know Uzume is a CPU and what her form represents, I am now anxiously awaiting some sort of untimely demise for it to mirror a certain short lived game console. Though as far as references and in jokes, didn't really catch too many in the way of that stuff during this first hour and a half.

Good first impression, as far as games in this series go. Hopefully I can get through at least the first part before more games come out later in the month because man it's getting busy.

Li Kao

I think I'm in the mood for a lighthearted RPG. So if I followed correctly, it is the series order ?

Main games -
1 - Hyperdimension Neptunia / Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 1 (though the True End makes it non-canon)
2 - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 / Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 2
3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory / Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 3: V Generation
4 - Megadimension Neptunia VII

Spin-offs -
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

Unreleased -
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Hyperdimensional War: Neptune's Platoon vs Sega Hard Girls

Oh and are there some episodes that I should avoid on Vita for technical issues ? I have the games on steam but I love my RPG on the go, so if the difference is just resolution...

I think I'm in the mood for a lighthearted RPG. So if I followed correctly, it is the series order ?

Main games -
1 - Hyperdimension Neptunia / Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 1 (though the True End makes it non-canon)
3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory / Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 3: V Generation

Spin-offs -

Unreleased -

Oh and are there some episodes that I should avoid on Vita for technical issues ? I have the games on steam but I love my RPG on the go, so if the difference is just resolution...

Hyperdevotion Noire is indeed out. Came out last year.

But yes, that is the "order" for them.

SephLuis

Main games -

Spin-offs -

Unreleased -

It runs great on Vita, so don't worry about that.

I would avoid playing the Re;Birth games back to back as they reuse a lot of things from one to another. It will get tiring and they employ the same battle system with a few changes in balance.

My favorite is Re;Birth 3 and you can begin with the series with pretty much any main title.

Regarding the spin-offs, Noire is already out and I would avoid Producing Perfection which is bad. Noire is regular and Neptunia U aren't bad.

ViciousDS

Banned
First thing that happens is start a game to......start a game lol

I always knew that these games were a parody to video games but holy shit two new game menus?

SerTapTap

I have a lot of thoughts but I'm not sure I should throw them out A) before most people are done B) before my review is done since I should be doing that instead.

Highly recommended in general though, and fixes almost all problems of the prior game (Victory has lots of writing shit that doesn't sit well with me).

Only particular complaints are Neptune's Protagonist Complex (way less of a problem than in Victory though), game being a bit too easy (and there's only one fight like That One Awesome Fight in the middle of arc 3), and I feel Vert's still getting short-changed by the writing team (but again, not nearly as bad as Victory. Fuck Victory's writing honestly, aside from Rei/Croire).

CavmwHHWwAAqFKZ.png

There we are. Not half as bad to plat as I feared, honestly. All the important stuff is in my guide now too for those who want to platinum/just need help. I have some extra stuff to add about ideal grinding, and a review to write, but what's there should be enough to get you platinum.

I still hate the card grind because of RNG, but as far as "worst trophies in the game" it's probably one of the least annoying ones in the series.

First thing that happens is start a game to......start a game lol

I always knew that these games were a parody to video games but holy shit two new game menus?

You'll see why soon. It's multiple games in one.

It runs great on Vita, so don't worry about that.

I would avoid playing the Re;Birth games back to back as they reuse a lot of things from one to another. It will get tiring and they employ the same battle system with a few changes in balance.

My favorite is Re;Birth 3 and you can begin with the series with pretty much any main title.

Regarding the spin-offs, Noire is already out and I would avoid Producing Perfection which is bad. Noire is regular and Neptunia U aren't bad.

PP is...well, it's a fine VN, it's a very bad Idol Sim
(implying Idol Sims can be good)
. If you just play it once per character for the jokes it's fine IMO, but the game would straight up be better with all the "gameplay" removed.

And regarding series order...after playing the rebirths I'm honestly not sure I can recommend them as the best way to experience the series. Or maybe Rebirth 1, Mk2 and Victory on PS3 if available. There's a lot of fucky stuff they do with Rebirth 3 and re-re-using victory's combat system for Mk2 was just rude when they ended up using an even weirder version of Mk2's combat system for 3. They should have left Rebirth 1 as it was, added to Victory but not changed the battle system, and improved but not changed Mk2's combat system (do something like, force transformations in boss fights like Victory does or something).

I've been thinking of writing a "guide to getting into Neptunia" since it's a bit confusing. I enjoyed the Rebirths but I'm also super frustrated at them for kinda fucking up a chance to make a better first impression. From now on I'll recommend V2 as the introduction over Rebirth 1 actually.

Finally popped this in last night and played through the first chapter. Some quick thoughts:

I was initially thrown off wondering why the hell upon starting new game a different title screen with the same menu options was presented, but then after seeing the second opening animation and the save name data, I'm guessing it's correct to assume that this game has multiple story arcs and is treating each of them like they're own game? Cool if so. I was just weirded out after the initial cutscene showing something dark and apocalyptic, followed by giving a recap on the Gamidustri goddesses.

Thought of playing one of these games at 60 FPS and 1080 and having it NOT be the Re:Birth games on PC is kinda amazing. Battle system still feels very familiar but with a few tweaks, default camera when in dungeons is a bit too pulled far back, but otherwise everything else still feels exactly like I remembered the series playing like since Re:Birth. Just with a nicer coat of paint and better technical performance.

I know there was mention of a lot of reused music from earlier games, but it's something I only really noticed during the dialogue sections. Dungeon and battle music definitely is new.

And now that I know Uzume is a CPU and what her form represents, I am now anxiously awaiting some sort of untimely demise for it to mirror a certain short lived game console. Though as far as references and in jokes, didn't really catch too many in the way of that stuff during this first hour and a half.

Camera can be adjusted a lot. d pad up/down to change the zoom in dungeons.

Reuse is greatly exaggerated by some outlets. Battle music is 100% new, all new dungeons have new music, there's a decent selection of new dialog music. Reuse of music is only annoying in the dialog sections, I do agree they should trash or at least majorly remix the "standard" music. It doesn't actually bother me but it obviously does for some.

Regarding Dreamcast there's TONS of references to Dreamcast. I'm uh, surprised you didn't notice that...(early game/obvious spoiler, IMO)
Uzume's entire dimension
is the first reference to Dreamcast's doom.

Well, looks like the lack of subtitle overlay in movie scenes seems to be not that much of a problem. Most of story is on that dialog box anyway. Would be nice if they add it, though, especially for those playing with JP voice.

So, I've been playing this for few hours, and I must say so far I'm having blast with this game. Maybe it's immature to say but for me this is probably the best neptunia to date (duh). It is obvious they kind of ambitious with this one, with all the mechanics and set pieces. Really like the implementation of formation skill, it gives new dimension to battle system.

Really liking Tsunako's artwork too. The certain scene involving
Uzume, Nepgear and Neptune
in that certain situation in zero dimension is just pure win huehuehue

There we are. Not half as bad to plat as I feared, honestly. All the important stuff is in my guide now too for those who want to platinum/just need help. I have some extra stuff to add about ideal grinding, and a review to write, but what's there should be enough to get you platinum.

I still hate the card grind because of RNG, but as far as "worst trophies in the game" it's probably one of the least annoying ones in the series.

Thanks for the guide, very helpful tips there. Been wondering if I should get the true ending on first playthrough, but it seems it's not the most effective way to get that platinum, huh...

Gradon

The LE is scheduled to arrive at mine tomorrow... Which I'm away from for a week. I was really hoping it would've arrived today ahah. Oh well, gives me more time to finish Re;birth 3 before I jump into Megadimension.

SerTapTap

Well, looks like the lack of subtitle overlay in movie scenes seems to be not that much of a problem. Most of story is on that dialog box anyway. Would be nice if they add it, though, especially for those playing with JP voice.

So, I've been playing this for few hours, and I must say so far I'm having blast with this game. Maybe it's immature to say but for me this is probably the best neptunia to date (duh). It is obvious they kind of ambitious with this one, with all the mechanics and set pieces. Really like the implementation of formation skill, it gives new dimension to battle system.

Really liking Tsunako's artwork too. The certain scene involving
Uzume, Nepgear and Neptune
in that certain situation in zero dimension is just pure win huehuehue

Thanks for the guide, very helpful tips there. Been wondering if I should get the true ending on first playthrough, but it seems it's not the most effective way to get that platinum, huh...

You do still miss things if you play with Japanese voices though. Battle quotes mostly, but since it's a game about references and stuff that's a big deal IMO. (I'm not sure anyone wants spoiler markup for references, but, joke/reference spoilers)
S-Sha has lots of final Fantasy callouts of course, K-Sha says "Kept you waiting, huh?", C-Sha says "go home and be a family man"
. Would be nice if they added subtitles for combat dialog too, but JP voices aren't even on my radar until they do.

Tsunako's art is truly fantastic. People hating on the look because "moe" are depressing.

And I think it being the best Neptunia to date is a relevant achievement--Victory was miles ahead of Mk2 gameplay-wise, but the writing wasn't as good in retrospect. Victory 2 is a step up in all regards, it's the way the series should progress.

Really the only reason I would ever suggest true ending first is there's a sort of dramatic moment kinda spoiled if you've seen Normal Ending anyway. Also, True Ending plays the same cutscene as the normal end for like 10 minutes after the "final" boss of the normal fight, I was about ready to pull my hair out thinking I had failed it for the 3rd time. But if you follow my guide you'll be fine. My problem was I kept following guides that left out "minor" details that cause the entire thing to fail, hours after the failure. The true ending is not that hard, but it absolutely requires a proper guide.

Glad the guide helped by the way! It should be pretty complete now, I even did a run-down on all the characters gameplay-wise. I've been meaning to write up some other Neptunia content for my site like a guide to getting into the series, and I'm 1/10th of the way into reviewing Victory 2.

You do still miss things if you play with Japanese voices though. Battle quotes mostly, but since it's a game about references and stuff that's a big deal IMO. (I'm not sure anyone wants spoiler markup for references, but, joke/reference spoilers)
S-Sha has lots of final Fantasy callouts of course, K-Sha says "Kept you waiting, huh?", C-Sha says "go home and be a family man"
. Would be nice if they added subtitles for combat dialog too, but JP voices aren't even on my radar until they do.

Tsunako's art is truly fantastic. People hating on the look because "moe" are depressing.

And I think it being the best Neptunia to date is a relevant achievement--Victory was miles ahead of Mk2 gameplay-wise, but the writing wasn't as good in retrospect. Victory 2 is a step up in all regards, it's the way the series should progress.

Really the only reason I would ever suggest true ending first is there's a sort of dramatic moment kinda spoiled if you've seen Normal Ending anyway. Also, True Ending plays the same cutscene as the normal end for like 10 minutes after the "final" boss of the normal fight, I was about ready to pull my hair out thinking I had failed it for the 3rd time. But if you follow my guide you'll be fine. My problem was I kept following guides that left out "minor" details that cause the entire thing to fail, hours after the failure. The true ending is not that hard, but it absolutely requires a proper guide.

Glad the guide helped by the way! It should be pretty complete now, I even did a run-down on all the characters gameplay-wise. I've been meaning to write up some other Neptunia content for my site like a guide to getting into the series, and I'm 1/10th of the way into reviewing Victory 2.

Yeah, already accept the fact that I'm gonna miss things like that with JP voice. It's just that since previous games I've been used to hear Rie Tanaka as Neptune so switching to english voice suddenly wouldn't feel right for me.

By the way, I see that you are not exagerating when you said
Noire's scenario in Dimension G was the hardest. Oh boy this part. No one can heal and being poor as hell makes it harder to buy healing items. Uni's style of attacking doesn't helping either.

Ryuukan

Yeah, already accept the fact that I'm gonna miss things like that with JP voice. It's just that since previous games I've been used to hear Rie Tanaka as Neptune so switching to english voice suddenly doesn't feel right for me.

Noire's scenario in Dimension G was the hardest. Oh boy this part. No one can heal and being poor as hell makes it harder to buy healing items. Uni's style of attacking doesn't helping either.

Just get Noire to 30 for her EXE and it should be easier

SerTapTap

Yeah, already accept the fact that I'm gonna miss things like that with JP voice. It's just that since previous games I've been used to hear Rie Tanaka as Neptune so switching to english voice suddenly wouldn't feel right for me.

The thing about voices is you get used to them over hours, and if you switch it's always weird, period. I initially didn't like the English gold third but ended up being fine with them (though I still prefer JP S-Sha) after a few hours. The English voices really aren't too bad, people just aren't used to them. The one I really don't like is Orange Heart's, but that's half because I don't like the gimmick.

What's sad about (gameplay spoiler)
Noire's scenario being the hardest is there's a special map node in Blanc's story for easy XP and money. Blanc's story doesn't need either as you get plenty of money and with the twins it's all pretty easy. Noire doesn't have such a node, I looked for it. She DOES have a High Score King somewhere in the first canyon dungeon, but it's not as exploitable.

It's kind of unfair how bad Uni is in that, and how sparse money is.

If you're having trouble in any of the chapter 2 routes though, level the character to 30. 30 is a very important level as it gets one more skill AND the EXE skill for that character, and in fact I think you could probably beat pretty much anything in the game at level 30 if you use the combat system very well.

As a general rule in any boss fight that you're losing real fast, try not to ever let the boss get two turns in a row. Spamming EXE skills with every character, or even SP skills, on one turn, will often let the boss act twice which can be extremely hard to recover from. Sometimes it's better to use normal attacks and heal after every hit you take to keep from getting hit twice.

I put a few hours into this and enjoyed it. I did go back to finish up Rebirth 3 first. The challenge that I enjoy in VII was there as well in the end of RB3 to my surprise.

Now going back to VII where I'm in no rush to finish. Like many others I would prefer that a greater percentage of the game be English dubbed. Got spoiled by some of the Vita spin offs like U and Producing Perfection that were dubbed complete.

But I vastly prefer the English dub over the jp dub (which I have sampled in past games) even if not 1:1 in coverage.

Looking forward to returning to VII.

SerTapTap

Victory had a few good fights towards the end IIRC, though I have no idea how well that's held up in Rebirth 3. It's kinda...all fucked up due to them tossing a variant of Mk2's combat system into it and giving a billion DLC characters that have no respect for balance in the game, super early no less. Glad you managed to enjoy it though.

There's some plot points that continue from Victory/Rebirth 3 so it's good to beat first (but I wouldn't let it stop you, myself)

kotodama

Victory had a few good fights towards the end IIRC, though I have no idea how well that's held up in Rebirth 3. It's kinda...all fucked up due to them tossing a variant of Mk2's combat system into it and giving a billion DLC characters that have no respect for balance in the game, super early no less. Glad you managed to enjoy it though.

There's some plot points that continue from Victory/Rebirth 3 so it's good to beat first (but I wouldn't let it stop you, myself)

Hmm, would it be good perhaps to play Victory even though I've played through Rebirth 3 just to see it's original combat system and perhaps better balance as well? Is the Remake system an exclusive Rebirth thing?

Speaking of Tsunako, is anybody getting her new artbook that's coming out at the end of the month? If in country, looks like she's doing a signing at Gamers in Akihabara with limited edition Gamers version or what not.

Anyways, finally got to hear Vert's new English dub and was definitely bleh at first but you get use to it, at least I did anyways. Also those Millionep Quiz questions can be kind of tough, especially if you don't want to save/load them.
Dogooman's black speedo and Neptune's blue shoelaces got me so far.

SerTapTap

Do we have any info about when the DLC characters are coming out? Since I plat'd the game and already played it a ton in Japanese I'm pretty much done until we get those. I'll probably stream the DLC character stuff too, or maybe do a full playthrough with DLC characters only, starting over from level 1 thanks to NG+

Hmm, would it be good perhaps to play Victory even though I've played through Rebirth 3 just to see it's original combat system and perhaps better balance as well? Is the Remake system an exclusive Rebirth thing?

Speaking of Tsunako, is anybody getting her new artbook that's coming out at the end of the month? If in country, looks like she's doing a signing at Gamers in Akihabara with limited edition Gamers version or what not.

Anyways, finally got to hear Vert's new English dub and was definitely bleh at first but you get use to it, at least I did anyways. Also those Millionep Quiz questions can be kind of tough, especially if you don't want to save/load them.
Dogooman's black speedo and Neptune's blue shoelaces got me so far.

A problem with revisiting Victory AFTER playing the rebirth games is...the rebirth games stole Victory's system. Rebirth 2 is basically Victory's exact combat system, though EXE stuff isn't dropped through story progress anymore.

I'd have a hard time suggesting an exact best order to play the games, but I played Mk2, Victory, then rebirths, then V2 and I would say I was particularly lucky for A) Not playing the first PS3 game and B) experiencing Victory before seeing it recycled. The rebirth games have some strong positives but also IMO some strong negatives over the originals, it's cool they were remade but I've certainly got some beef with them. I'll probably write an article about it some day.

Yes, the remake system is new to the rebirths, though Mk2 and Victory had a crafting system, it just doesn't unlock features/dungeons and doesn't limit you by megabytes. Remake system has it's ups and downs too. I don't appreciate the "replay the game 3 times to unlock the Candidates/Oracles" aspect of Reb 1&2...but then Reb3's "here have these broken characters at the start of the game" is also wonky.

Yep, I ordered Tsunako's artbook from Amazon.jp (they ship to US!). I'm not in Japan, or my life would have a lot less shipping charges. I don't really follow her non-Neptunia stuff (Fairy Fencer was okay but I didn't get into it, Date A Live is...I don't do harem) but the character designs are good. I even got the nendoroid of that rabbit girl from her anime.

I thought the
dogooman
question was pretty easy, in fact I've scarcely seen another color for that particular item. I had to brute force the questions in JP so I just referred to my own guide in english. IMO It's a mix of fair, interesting questions
uni's cup size change
and "what"
shoelaces?! The one thing on Neptune I don't know the color of?

Come to think of it we could probably take this to the Neptunia community thread instead of here but I'm subscribed to both threads so whatever

Volcynika

Made some progress over the weekend, fortunately.

On the second arc,
completed Vert and Noire's stories, ankle deep into Blanc's
, enjoying it still. Liking all the new mechanics, and the challenge is just about right for the most part. It can still be a bit rough when you only have one character though.

Top Bottom