• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadimension Neptunia VII |OT| Double the Nep, Double the Victory

NeOak

So this part of the E3 2016 sale on PSN.

What DLC should I download along with the game? Seems the DLC is on sale too, so I would likely pick it up too.

The sale is comparable to whatever the lackluster Steam sales are now, so I don't mind. I do have Rebirth and Rebirth 2 on Steam with all the DLC... Maybe I should have picked them up on Vita but dat DLC doe :(

Decided to ressurect the thread because I am utterly confused about what game wants from me.

So, I am currently at the forest, at the Dark Purple Boss Fight (when Neptune and Nepgear first tranform)

The battle starts with the boss getting a free hit on all three of my party members, taking off 50-60% of their health immediately, before I have any input whatsoever. It's not even a fluke of random number generator, I restarted multiple times and each time, boss attacked first.

I tried following logical approaches:

- Fight as normal. - A mix of attacking, defending, healing.
That didn't work well. as my party just gets outdamaged

- Fight defensively - heal, defend, attack only when you feel safe to do so.
That didn't work well, as my party once again gets very rapidly outdamaged by the enemy that does 40-60% of my party's entire HP with each attack.

- Spread out - do what tutorial tells me and keep my party spread out so they don't get hit at the same time
That didn't work well, as the boss has an attack that attacks everyone anyway, This is btw objectively bad design. You don't teach player something only to immediately make it useless. Cry "git gud" all you want, but there are better ways of doing this. make the boss battle 2 stage. First stage she doesn't have that spread attack, so game properly teaches you how to spread out. Then second stage she's like "That won't work" and now she has that attack. Otherwise, contradicting your own tutorial is bad.

- Stay close - ignore tutorial and fight up close. There's no difference anyway, since I get hit for the same damage on the whole party whether I am close or far. When i am close I can at least buff my team.
That didn't work well. i just don't live long enough for buffs to matter.

Grind levels - If all other tools I have are absolutely and effortlessly demolished by the enemy surely that means I am missing something. I'm not even thinking of just having better stats. maybe there's an early skill unlock that gives me any option, any room for actual strategy. But the area the boss is can randomly kill me by spawning a 7+ enemy stack without warning. (I have no fighting chance against them either, as they just demolish me on their turn and there are no buffs or tools I can use during my first turn advantage that allow me to survive at all.
So I am forced to go tonprevious areas. But they give so little EXP, it feels like I am not supposed to be fighting them.

For more context. I have no better gear available to me. I have no better healing tools available to me. As stated, I get 2-3 shot by the boss and I can't heal enough HP to live long enough to do more than 1 bar of damage to the boss.

Am I really supposed to grind 40 exp at a time or am I missing something fundamental in the game?

My team:
Neptune
Lvl 13
Wooden Sowrd
X-Bracelet
Parka Dress
White D-Clips

Skills
Cross Combination
Do your Best
Tri Burst

Nepgear
Lvl 13
Beam Slicer
Violet Bangle
Sailor Uniform
White D-clips

Skills
Mirage Dance
Slash Wave
Defensive Cheer
Heal
Tri-Burst

Uzume
Lvl 13
Megaphone R7
Hardened Armband
Suspended Sit
Hair Snapper

Skills
Dream Roar
Heal
Tri-Burst

I have no better equipment available in shop, I have no sidegrades to maybe try and look for different resistances or stat boost.
I have no more powerful healing options, just basic healing grass

I was thinking about giving this a whirl but would someone be able tell me: How is the battle system and balancing on this game?

Are the battle mechanics and enemy designs set up in such a way that you understand the effects of every move or choice and can use smart strategy to win?

I was disappointed by the Rebirth games' battle systems and balancing: they were rather opaque and it felt more like a game of repeating repetitive fights to watch numbers go up to enable you to beat stronger fights.

Top Bottom