• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Sennorin

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It's not necessarily a lack of software, it's how the software that's announced is treated.

Konami clearly saw no financial viability in MGS3DS, so they yanked the budget. The result is a downgrade from a demo made in two weeks, on the actual hardware, that looks barely above the 2004 PS2 release, if noticeably at all.

Dream Drop Distance is barely being talked about. At this junction in Birth By Sleep's development, Sony showed that game off like crazy. Square and Nintendo have nothing to show. Square announced Chocobo Racing, with screenshots, and has hidden it away like Quasimodo since. Is it still ringing the bells over in Square's office? Who even fucking knows!

Capcom threw a quick cashgrab RE title with a 30 second demo and hilarious DRM at the system, a rushed port of a fighting game (where the next game in the series will not be coming to the 3DS, but is coming to the Vita with exclusive content), canceled a title they announced last year after pulling the promised demo from the 3DSware launch, announced a minigame collection that they refuse to acknowledge, and will maybe release an RE title middle-to-late next year that will likely get ported to other systems.

Time and time again, I see people saying "Well, Wii software would have had a chance if the developers put effort in!" Which is mostly true. A lot of that Wii software was shit or mis-marketed to the craziest possible aims. Those developers did not care to or want to treat those releases with respect, because they saw the system as a side-toy that could be used to siphon money from people who did not know better.

You see that same gleam in the eye of publishers on the 3DS. They're not going to respect the software like they do on HD consoles or like they did on the DS. They're going to find reasons not to develop on it, they're going to put out games that developers can work on in-between their HD projects or on their lunch breaks.

It's how it went down with the Wii.

It's how it will go down with the 3DS if something does not happen soon.

Pardon, shockingalberto, but are you saying that after all these years, conspiracy theorists have been right? I mean the supposed conspiracy in which third parties *want* Nintendo systems to fail. Because that is what I get from reading your above post. Developers cutting budgets on 3DS-games or simply canceling them, without any explicit reasoning.

It´s saddening to see it summarized all in your post.

ShockingAlberto said:
But definitely not the right people.

a lot of those guys could be working on DMC5 but nope we're getting Dino who will end up selling 5 million copies !!!!

Gamebaron said:
This is a shame. The Megaman series practically put Capcom on the map. Now, it's been replaced by Street Fighter. Makes me wonder if Capcom will ever release another Megaman of any installment on any system ever...
'

wouldn't surprise me with Inafune gone

This is a shame. The Megaman series practically put Capcom on the map. Now, it's been replaced by Street Fighter. Makes me wonder if Capcom will ever release another Megaman of any installment on any system ever...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ShockingAlberto said:
It's not necessarily a lack of software, it's how the software that's announced is treated.

Konami clearly saw no financial viability in MGS3DS, so they yanked the budget. The result is a downgrade from a demo made in two weeks, on the actual hardware, that looks barely above the 2004 PS2 release, if noticeably at all.

Dream Drop Distance is barely being talked about. At this junction in Birth By Sleep's development, Sony showed that game off like crazy. Square and Nintendo have nothing to show. Square announced Chocobo Racing, with screenshots, and has hidden it away like Quasimodo since. Is it still ringing the bells over in Square's office? Who even fucking knows!

Capcom threw a quick cashgrab RE title with a 30 second demo and hilarious DRM at the system, a rushed port of a fighting game (where the next game in the series will not be coming to the 3DS, but is coming to the Vita with exclusive content), canceled a title they announced last year after pulling the promised demo from the 3DSware launch, announced a minigame collection that they refuse to acknowledge, and will maybe release an RE title middle-to-late next year that will likely get ported to other systems.

Time and time again, I see people saying "Well, Wii software would have had a chance if the developers put effort in!" Which is mostly true. A lot of that Wii software was shit or mis-marketed to the craziest possible aims. Those developers did not care to or want to treat those releases with respect, because they saw the system as a side-toy that could be used to siphon money from people who did not know better.

You see that same gleam in the eye of publishers on the 3DS. They're not going to respect the software like they do on HD consoles or like they did on the DS. They're going to find reasons not to develop on it, they're going to put out games that developers can work on in-between their HD projects or on their lunch breaks.

Nailed it as usual. Its harder and harder for me to say "devs/pubs don't 'dislike' Nintendo" the more stuff like this happens.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Somewhere in Japan right now, Platinum games is calling Keiji and telling him they'll make the spiritual MML3 with him

JazzmanZ

TheMissingLink said:
Anyone want to trade their iPad for my 3DS?

Capcom, how far you have fallen.

again, why did you bother buying the system when the game wasn't even greenlit in the first place?

Key2001

FTH said:
But how crazy is that non? Digimon. More viable than Megaman.

I doubt it hits NA, I'll import if it looks good on release. BUT STILLLLL

Not sure how big Digimon is in Japan, but I could see how a Digimon game(at least this one in particular in Japan) could be more viable than Megaman Legends.

Hasn't the majority Digimon game been released outside of Japan(at least I believe a much better track record than 'Tales of' games? Just by looking at it, this one seems to have a much higher budget than the past Digimon games. Unless it ends up taking up 2 UMDs I wouldn't rule out a release outside of Japan.

It has really sucked to be a fan of Japanese games these past few years. There are still quite a few announced/planned, but as we see here with ML3 that means nothing.

Gamebaron said:

I'm sure they will. They always go back to their old franchises every decade or so. Strider, Ghouls'n Ghosts, 1942, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter, and Final Fight have all had sequels long after they were considered dead. I'm sure Mega Man will get some kind of retro-inspired revamp sometime down the line.

Whether or not it'll be any good, that's the real question.

Takao

Banned
Gamebaron said:

Given how much current Crapcom is insistent on killing the fighting game genre again, I wonder what grave they'll rob next.

C-Jo

zoner said:
Somewhere in Japan right now, Platinum games is calling Keiji and telling him they'll make the spiritual MML3 with him
Somebody get Kazuma Kujo on the line. They can team up and make the Bumpy Trot/Legends sequel that the world deserves.

:(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gravijah said:
Starring their new mascot, RapMan.
I'm already on board. And it's a Kamen Rider game so he gets power ups like Megaman but they're activated via belt. And there's a minigame where you have to sell toys

ShockingAlberto said:

And this is what will happen to Wii U. It is what happened to GameCube. For different reasons of course.

These situations dictate this in the industry: If you make a device that cannot compare with the other systems and make it comparable with older systems, they'll make ports, downgrade a couple games, make B or C-grade side projects and walk away when the initial sales boost is over. This is why Wii U is already in a precarious situation and it is still a year off. It's just a matter of time.

Takao

Banned
Key2001 said:
Not sure how big Digimon is in Japan, but I could see how a Digimon game(at least this one in particular in Japan) could be more viable than Megaman Legends.

Hasn't the majority Digimon game been released outside of Japan(at least I believe a much better track record than 'Tales of' games? Just by looking at it, this one seems to have a much higher budget than the past Digimon games. Unless it ends up taking up 2 UMDs I wouldn't rule out a release outside of Japan.

It has really sucked to be a fan of Japanese games these past few years. There are still quite a few announced/planned, but as we see here with ML3 that means nothing.

Digimon used to be very popular in Japan, with the TV anime pulling in comparable TV ratings to Pokemon. However, the current series airing on TV right now doesn't seem to be all that popular. But game sales, as well as merch haven't done poorly.

As for the games, I don't believe Scamco has localized a Digimon game since 2007 or 2008. There's at least 2 or 3 DS games they haven't, and won't be releasing here. I can't see the PSP title coming over here unless the platform pulls a Jesus.

LiK

zoner said:

You mean Vanquish? ;)

Vanquish-1.jpg

RedSwirl

ShockingAlberto said:

But why is this happening to a Nintendo HANDHELD? I know we should still probably be waiting until how the thing fairs this fall, but Nintendo handheld's have always had reliable third party support. That has been a bedrock that you could depend on through three hardware generations. What the hell happened?

BlueWord

What the fuck is this shit? I mean, fuck, Capcom, you've already thrown dollars behind this thing, there's been a decent amount of buzz surrounding the game - what the fuck did you want?

This is straight bullshit. I can't even understand the logic here. You'd think, even if this was sure to bomba (which it sure as hell wasn't, as far as I'm concerned), they'd try and minimize their losses.

I don't blame Inafune for leaving this piece of shit company. Not at all.

Fuck.

Takao

Banned
Balb said:
At least put MML and MML2 on PSN rather than teasing us with dumb gamer pics.

They won't.

Capcom USA is too cheap to find and pay the people who translated, and acted in the games back in the 90s.

It's the same reason Megaman: Powered Up is available in Japan, but not in the US on PSN.

ShockingAlberto said:

I'm not going to dispute your points re:MGS (though that decision was clearly made well before 3DS sales figures came in), Mercenaries, or SSFIV (ditto MGS3, most likely). Nazo Waku Yakata seems to be getting the treatment you'd expect from a niche Japanese title, no more, no less. Chocobo Racing is probably cancelled. As I said above, there's very little reason to think that MML3's cancellation had more to do with its platform than it did with Capcom's internal politics.

I do find it strange, however, that you seem to be casually dismissing the two most potent counterexamples you mention (RE:R and KH3D) simply by drawing the most pessimistic hypothetical scenarios you can imagine. Hypotheticals aren't arguments, let alone evidence. I recall back in 2005 when certain posters here were labeling FFIII DS vaporware, and it's hard for me not to be reminded of that.

I'm not embracing the "well DS did phenomenally well so history will inevitably repeat itself" fallacy, and I'm fairly certain that 3DS will end up selling tens of millions of units fewer than its predecessor. But I do think it's too early to make sweeping conclusions about how the software library will turn out.

The M.O.B

RedSwirl said:
Mega Man has been niche at least since the end of the PS1 era.

The Battle Network and Star Force series on GBA/DS sold very well, those were certainly not niche. Each one of them sold around ~500k in Japan alone.

In Japan at least, Mega Man was still very popular well into the late 2000's.

shaowebb

I hate to say it, but I had been predicting this for a long time. Not just because Inafune left, even though that did impact my thoughts a lot.

The main reasons I suspected it would be canned were because the gameplay was far too stale looking by this decade's standards. It doesn't matter if this was passable for the era that this series originally came out in, because it just didn't have enough to really compete on the market with the kind of action we're now accustomed to from a 3rd person game.

This coupled with the extremely poor graphics and loose character designs seemed like enough for me to predict that it wouldn't make it pass that early alpha stage demo given how long it had been since it had released any updated news.

Seriously Capcom, someone needed to crack open some zbrush on those blocky models and laydown some antialias on those textures. I understand that this game has a throwback art style, but this didn't look stylized...it just looked hastily thrown together.

I'm sad the fans of this series are having their hopes dashed by this, but would you really want the 3rd game to release at about Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 level? Its better to hope for a good sequel some other time than to get a shitty one that kills your love for a series...just ask all us NiGHTS into Dreams fans.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RedSwirl said:
But why is this happening to a Nintendo HANDHELD? I know we should still probably be waiting until how the thing fairs this fall, but Nintendo handheld's have always had reliable third party support. That has been a bedrock that you could depend on through three hardware generations. What the hell happened?
There wasn't a lot of competition before. And I think third parties were giving the PSP a lot of support at the start of last gen before the DS became a juggernaut. They're currently salivating over Vita, we'll see if history repeats itself, but I doubt it, the market has changed too much.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
RedSwirl said:

Cost of development, ie risk. 3DS raised it. Without a strong launch and software sales publishers are now questioning the cost and risk.

PSP development is basically dead, so as with the Wii you need a separate team writing just for the 3DS. Vita is quite a danger here in fact, as it will just get HD hand-me-downs and isn't such a risk to develop for.

Takao

Banned
The M.O.B said:
The Battle Network and Star Force series on GBA/DS sold very well, those were certainly not niche. Each one of them sold around ~500k in Japan alone.

In Japan at least, Mega Man was still very popular well into the late 2000's.

They ruined Battle Network and Starforce by releasing yearly sequels with little to no improvements just to cash-in on popularity. Sounds like another Crapcom franchise doesn't it?

Wow. Might just be the biggest dick move ever by any gaming company. Capcom can fuck right off, and I didn't even care about this game!

BlueWord

FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Sorry, I can't contain my anger to a single post.

That said, I wonder if the slow sales of the 3DS factored into this decision in any way.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Brazil said:
What a sad, sad day.

Yeah, very sad.

Even if it had turned out a bit shitty, it was still a nice throw-back to old-school games and the platform could have been home to a lot of things like this. Unlike Vita which is going to tend towards big production things, and something like Legends wouldn't have even got this far.

Even by Capcom standards I find this a cuntish move though, after all the community involvement. At least put the prototype one out after all that.

Sennorin said:
Pardon, shockingalberto, but are you saying that after all these years, conspiracy theorists have been right? I mean the supposed conspiracy in which third parties *want* Nintendo systems to fail. Because that is what I get from reading your above post. Developers cutting budgets on 3DS-games or simply canceling them, without any explicit reasoning.

It´s saddening to see it summarized all in your post.
Not necessarily. It is likely not a personal vendetta, but an analysis of reputation.

Which is kind of the same thing with different words.

People have been saying that the DS had a spark about a year or so in that caused the system to become a cultural phenomenon and we should wait for that with the 3DS. To an extent, I don't disagree, judging libraries on their first year is always kind of nuts to me. Good games will always come, no matter what. But after the DS's spark, there was a month where it did amazingly in Japan and amazingly in America and amazingly in Europe and increased the install base by like 1.5 million, maybe more. About a year and a half after that date, the DS suddenly got a bunch of innovative, fun, and high-selling releases from third parties.

The logical answer is that, when the DS did so well that month, developers and publishers rushed to put out DS software. That software did well, so they put out more. That software did well, so they put out more, and more, and the DS built up a pretty fantastic library.

The thing about the 3DS getting the same spark, and following the same path, is that it ultimately ignores the entire context of that year and a half.

Let's say...Mario Kart is what sets the 3DS off this winter. It goes off like dynamite, the game sells millions, the 3DS begins an upward trajectory that helps it gain a massive install base. Thus far, this is all kind of analogous to the DS, right? So developers start considering putting their eggs in that basket.

But this is where things differ. Would the DS have still managed to get to that point, where it was surviving on experiments and Nintendo software, if the Sony had not completely whiffed the PSP launch?

I don't think so. The fact that Sony bungled the PSP at first basically let Nintendo, who was successful but still assumed to fail, dive through and get a huge sprint toward the goal posts. This is probably the underdog story of the last ten years in the gaming industry and, like most good underdog stories, it came completely out of left field.

So back to the 3DS spark. In my hypothetical, it does spark this December, because why not. Mario Kart is big. That leaves all those games that need a year or two of development getting ready while the Vita gets ports and new games and Sony outsourcing games to smaller studios to get games on there and building a name for itself.

The spark is only half the equation.

That is ultimately the 3DS's biggest problem right now. Sony looks like they are doing this one right. The 3DS should have come out of the gate with all the momentum the DS had, there was no reason for it to be a complete reset button with Nintendo and with third parties, there was no reason for it to need a spark. That it does need one, and that it ultimately might not matter, should be a cause of concern for Nintendo.

For the record, I am not saying 3DS/Nintendo/Anyone Else is doomed. It will likely succeed. But the extent to which it does is completely up in the air. I have staked my prediction that, unless Nintendo does something huge to reverse these fortunes (a price drop, perhaps), I see the 3DS being more of a Wii than a DS. Which, okay. I bought a Wii and I was actually satisfied with the final library, though definitely not with the localization record and frequency. But the successor to the DS deserves better and it's not just third parties who are treating it with a lack of respect.

Amir0x

Banned
LiK said:
what's the other 4?

Paper Mario 3DS
Super Mario 3D
Resident Evil Revelations
Beyond the Labyrinth

I would add stuff like Etrian Odyssey 3DS which was on a list of "in-development 3DS games", but with stuff like this news, it might as well be canceled. Might as well not get the hopes up.

Although, I am keeping an eye open for a handful of others in the off chance they're decent, like Kid Icarus, Time Travelers and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. But only one eye open because there's reasons to be suspect about them all.

mr_chun

And here we go! Nintendo, you sure do know how to encourage the third parties to develop for your system. Yep, you sure do.

Wonder which 3DS title is going to be canned next... cancellations come in threes, right? :p

This sucks. Mega Man was a staple series of my childhood growing up...and to see Capcom cancel this as well as Universe makes me upset, especially since I was hyped for both.

Goddammit.

I got the 3DS for this game, lol, thanks god at least I can play Mercenaries 3D.

I saw this coming, everything surrounding this game was frikin' weird. They can say whatever they want, but it's all because Inafune, the guy was the one leading the troops and the one pushing for the franchise with higher ups, without him, nobody in the company is strong enough or care to push for Megaman, Jun Takauchi certainly not.

Megaman is going to be in coma for a lot of time, probably they will release another sitty compilation done by an American developer tu put the final nail in the coffin.

Fuck you Capcom.

Top Bottom