• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly leaving Fox News for NBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

I say good for her. She was too good for Fox News. One of the few I liked there. Now if only Shepard Smith would leave too.

antonz

Did Hannity fuck off and join Breitbart or something?

Hannity is likely masturbating furiously to this news. He was the #2 Dog for years then Megyn got her show and it destroyed him in ratings etc. Hannity likely sees a chance to try and reassert some dominance especially with his ties to Trump

The sanest person at the nut house is still a nut.

I finally see how the sane media are going to fight trump now. As in.. not at all

Ac30

The sanest person at the nut house is still a nut.

I finally see how the sane media are going to fight trump now. As in.. not at all

Shep Smith is still at the nut house, though

And yeah, seems the whole country is just moving right. Definitely the correct response.

Shep Smith is still at the nut house, though

And yeah, seems the whole country is just moving right. Definitely the correct response.

Well I don't agree the country is moving right. But the right has the loudest voices. And now those voices are going to be drowning out the voices of reason on their own turf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One on hand, she' a pretty awful woman, on the other hand maybe NBC will move her more left and allow her to atone for awfulness?

She doesn't seem particularly awful to me. She has a few awful opinions but so does almost everyone.

zethren

Banned
I don't care for her.

But she's not as nutso as Hannity, I suppose. Once Once Shep and Chris Wallace leave Fox it will literally only be total wackos.

Yeah she's too left for Fox, especially during this administration coming up.

Not really. There's no daylight between her and O'Reilly. The praise heaped on her is baffling. She said a reasonable thing one time. Once. And people praise her like she's some bastion of hard hitting joirnalism. She's still the person who says stuff like black people shot and abused by police "are no saints" and have it coming.

Fucking terrible that anyone other than Shep Smith are given any sort of credibility.

Jenov

Good for her, hopefully she evolves past some of the negative views she had on Fox and leans more left now.

Boke1879

The Fox new/Trump loyalists will hate her. They'll say this is her joining the enemy.

But lets not forget what Kelly has said and done regardless if she was playing a part for Fox.

This is a good get for NBC. She can bash Trump which isn't new for her, but she's also what many perceive to be a moderate conservative voice.

With the rise of the Trump era and this new focus of the WWC in the media. Kelly will likely bring views that resonate with bother moderate Reps and Dems. I mean look at Morning Joe. Joe and Mika are two Trump stooges and they are doing just fine.

Zaph

Not really. There's no daylight between her and O'Reilly. The praise heaped on her is baffling. She said a reasonable thing one time. Once. And people praise her like she's some bastion of hard hitting joirnalism. She's still the person who says stuff like black people shot and abused by police "are no saints" and have it coming.

Fucking terrible that anyone other than Shep Smith are given any sort of credibility.

It's crazy how racism has become this thing that doesn't really reflect on your character any more. Before, at least people pretended racial discrimination was a sign of poor morals.

Megyn Kelly hot-takes:

Kelly wonders if jobs and work are valued in the Black community:
"You know, the experts say you need three things to stay out of poverty: You need to finish high school, you need to not have a child out of wedlock, and you need to get a job. Any job -- job at McDonald's, job, working in the sewers -- whatever it is, get a job. Is that understood? Is that valued in the black communities, in the inner cities, do you think?"

On Black peoples' "thug mentality"

"And there's also culture, there's also culture that develops, where it's anti -- it's them versus us, it's anti-cop. It's sort of -- people have called it the "thug mentality," and that's a controversial term. But that it's cool to sort of hate the cops, and hang out - and be somebody who doesn't necessarily prize being there for your family, and so on. And how do you reverse that? "

On the infamous video of the Forth Worth cop manhandling a Black girl at a swimming party:

"She was no saint"

On the Eric Garner choking:

"What evidence is there that it had anything to do with race?"

Mesoian

Tomi Lahren hired by Fox News in 3...2...1....

Oh my god....this is actually going to happen isn't it?

I think she is quite racist. That's Not something that I can look past.

Whether she really is or isn't is kind of irrelevant. She spent the past 7 year posing as a racist on television. Her persona is more real than she is now, and moving to NBC isn't going to change that.

She's said a lot of bullshit over the years that isn't going to suddenly disappear because she's no longer on a red channel.

Maxim726X

Hannity is likely masturbating furiously to this news. He was the #2 Dog for years then Megyn got her show and it destroyed him in ratings etc. Hannity likely sees a chance to try and reassert some dominance especially with his ties to Trump

Absolutely.

Scary, because he makes O'Reilly look tame in comparison. Hannity is fucking nuts.

Oh my god....this is actually going to happen isn't it?

It almost makes too much sense.

zero_suit

Megyn Kelly hot-takes:

"You know, the experts say you need three things to stay out of poverty: You need to finish high school, you need to not have a child out of wedlock, and you need to get a job. Any job -- job at McDonald's, job, working in the sewers -- whatever it is, get a job. Is that understood? Is that valued in the black communities, in the inner cities, do you think?"

"And there's also culture, there's also culture that develops, where it's anti -- it's them versus us, it's anti-cop. It's sort of -- people have called it the "thug mentality," and that's a controversial term. But that it's cool to sort of hate the cops, and hang out - and be somebody who doesn't necessarily prize being there for your family, and so on. And how do you reverse that? "

On the infamous video of the Forth Worth cop manhandling a Black girl at a swimming party:

"She was no saint"

I'm confused why some people are happy a racist is moving to NBC.

Bold One

Megyn Kelly hot-takes:

"She was no saint"

Exactly,

This is not a win

FUCK OFF, MEG

Megyn Kelly hot-takes:

"She was no saint"

Yeah, fuck Megyn Kelly. This is truly disappointing news. Unless she has the common decency to address some of the racist shit she's said over the years, I can't see her as anything other than an opportunist that will continue to propagate these views behind the scenes, where it counts. Who's she going to help hire? What sort of stories is she going to push for with an attitude like that?

RibMan

It's a shame to hear that NBC News will hire the very same people that they have routinely criticized, but it's not unexpected. Hopefully, news like this can help more people understand that corporations care about money above all else.

_Ryo_

Megyn Kelly hot-takes:

"She was no saint"

Yep. Like I said, she's pretty awful.

So she finally got tired of the fuckery? Or is she bringing the fuckery to NBC to try to woo those Fox viewers?

Can we not have Shep Smith instead?

Biske

Either NBC is becoming more conservative (not likely, as liberal sources are going to get a huge increase in traffic under Trump). Or Kelly has had enough. She always struck me as a fake conservative anyhow, acting far more to the right than she is because she was on Fox. We shall see though.

Not that she is excused for her behavior. She acted horribly during her Fox tenure, and it'll take a lot for me not to instinctively dislike her.

I'd wager this applies to almost every person on fox news.

You have to be a real fucking sellout and be on foxnews, certainly not a place for principles, and the sheer dumbassitude is so obvious there, I doubt people there believe half the shit they are paid to say.

Sapiens

Either NBC is becoming more conservative (not likely, as liberal sources are going to get a huge increase in traffic under Trump). Or Kelly has had enough. She always struck me as a fake conservative anyhow, acting far more to the right than she is because she was on Fox. We shall see though.

Not that she is excused for her behavior. She acted horribly during her Fox tenure, and it'll take a lot for me not to instinctively dislike her.

Listen to the NPR interview with Kelly. You'll find she's very complicated.

Skelter

Banned
But is she a batshit crazy right winger because that's what she is, or because that's what the network wanted?

I don't think it matters. Honestly, I'm all for having someone with an opposing view on a different news station. If anything maybe it can get people to think more instead of just accepting everything at face value.

Maybe Megyn really was just parroting Fox but who knows?

Biske

I don't think it matters. Honestly, I'm all for having someone with an opposing view on a different news station. If anything maybe it can get people to think more instead of just accepting everything at face value.

Maybe Megyn really was just parroting Fox but who knows?

If anything, shes probably just an opportunist.

If you look at political discourse in America, it thrives as opposition.

She rode the fox train when she was fighting Emperor Obama and his evil!!

The opposing side gains a lot of cred and traction, when your side wins... what do you have to fight or complain about? Your ballwashing succeeded.

Have to switch sides to keep up the furor.

This thread is amazing to understand how much stuff has already normalized since the election. "She has a few bad views but doesn't everyone?". It really is incredible when you consider how left leaning this board is and people are happy and applauding her and even in the face of her racist and shitty comments still defend her that she's not so bad. This is officially the new normal. Hope everyone enjoys the ride.

Aurongel

Good, the shit she underwent at Fox was disgusting and no one deserves that. Regardless of how I feel about her views, she's been fairly centrist on things like modern feminism and women's rights. It seemed innevitable that she'd leave that tire fire especially after the GOP went further into anti-feminism and direct insults.
This thread is amazing to understand how much stuff has already normalized since the election. "She has a few bad views but doesn't everyone?". It really is incredible when you consider how left leaning this board is and people are happy and applauding her and even in the face of her racist and shitty comments still defend her that she's not so bad. This is officially the new normal. Hope everyone enjoys the ride.
So am I "normalizing hatred" by congratulating her on being more open minded than her colleagues? Baby steps are how progress is made, not through ideological purity tests.

Not

Banned
It's amazing how so many of these issues always become racism vs. sexism.

If someone is getting even a little bit away from a toxic lifestyle or environment, such as alcoholism, it should be encouraged, no matter what shit they've done. People don't change overnight.

Abounder

Banned
Joining the conglomerate family that brought us Trump in the first place and still has him as a producer: NBC/Celebrity Apprentice. Small world eh?

Good, the shit she underwent at Fox was disgusting and no one deserves that. Regardless of how I feel about her views, she's been fairly centrist on things like modern feminism and women's rights. It seemed innevitable that she'd leave that tire fire especially after the GOP went further into anti-feminism and direct insults.

So am I "normalizing hatred" by congratulating her on being more open minded than her colleagues? Baby steps are how progress is made, not through ideological purity tests.
Yeah, it's totally ideological purity test to not want to give racists the microphone to spread their views. THAT'S the reason we're having problems now.

It's amazing how so many of these issues always become racism vs. sexism.

If someone is getting even a little bit away from a toxic lifestyle or environment, such as alcoholism, it should be encouraged, no matter what shit they've done. People don't change overnight.
Yes it's much more likely she's a battered person that only had terrible views because fox forced her. That's the more likely scenario when she's been like that for years. Nothing of this proves she is changing, it does prove she likes money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom