• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Message board offers cash reward to the developer of 360 chatpad driver

Blizzard

Banned
A super simple alpha testing release is "out". I am not ready to make a new thread, but hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will have enough time to get on that. I have to handle packing etc. stuff to leave for a week for Christmas stuff, but I want to get this to a better state before I go.

You can see the details here:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/har...contest-xbox-chatpad-driver-challenge-19.html

The project site is here:
http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/

This initial alpha test only supports Vista 64-bit. Do NOT try this unless you first read the Getting Started page (http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/wiki/GettingStarted), you're technically knowledgeable about computers, you're comfortable with device manager and the Windows command line, and you don't mind trying unsigned kernel drivers before I upload the source code later today (i.e. if you trust me). If you hesitate, wait for a later, better release!

If anyone is crazy enough to try the initial upload, please let me if anything works, or if you get any errors. The version I uploaded may only work with the "Made for Windows" wired variants, not the wired 360 console controllers. That restriction should hopefully go away later today.

Also, this is only for WIRED 360 controllers. Wireless support is a future effort.

I gave it a shot in Windows 7 x64 and it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried it about 3 times now and restarted each time just in case.

Hopefully someone with Vista will have better luck.

Blizzard

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I gave it a shot in Windows 7 x64 and it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried it about 3 times now and restarted each time just in case.

Hopefully someone with Vista will have better luck.
Doesn't surprise me since there are a ton of different build configurations for the device driver kit, and I only had the Vista 64 one built, but thanks for trying! Can you specifically tell me what step failed in the getting started guide, i.e. where you got an error, and what it said?

Blizzard said:
Doesn't surprise me since there are a ton of different build configurations for the device driver kit, and I only had the Vista 64 one built, but thanks for trying! Can you specifically tell me what step failed in the getting started guide, i.e. where you got an error, and what it said?

Alright, I just tried it again and I'll tell you exactly what I did:

I restarted my computer and got to the boot screen and Disabled the signed driver enforcement.
I ran 'chatpad_installer' as Administrator.
First roadblock was a pop up that said I was going to install an unsigned driver, I clicked "install anyways'
It made the windows 'plugged a device in' sound, I'm assuming this was it recognizing the controller I had plugged in.
Then here's the bad part; despite having disabled signed driver enforcement a window popped up saying "Windows Requires a digitally signed driver" followed by a paragraph about how it did not install the driver.
Then it said the installation was successful.
Then another pop up told me it was going to install another unsigned driver, just like last time I chose to install it anyways.
Then I got an error that said "Failed to update virtual keyboard device driver: 0xe0000217"
The last message I got was "The chatpad installer has finished running"

Blizzard

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Alright, I just tried it again and I'll tell you exactly what I did:

I restarted my computer and got to the boot screen and Disabled the signed driver enforcement.
I ran 'chatpad_installer' as Administrator.
First roadblock was a pop up that said I was going to install an unsigned driver, I clicked "install anyways'
It made the windows 'plugged a device in' sound, I'm assuming this was it recognizing the controller I had plugged in.
Then here's the bad part; despite having disabled signed driver enforcement a window popped up saying "Windows Requires a digitally signed driver" followed by a paragraph about how it did not install the driver.
Then it said the installation was successful.
Then another pop up told me it was going to install another unsigned driver, just like last time I chose to install it anyways.
Then I got an error that said "Failed to update virtual keyboard device driver: 0xe0000217"
The last message I got was "The chatpad installer has finished running"
You're going to get the unsigned driver popups unless we use some of the prize money to get a driver signing certificate (this is kind of the plan anyway). It's weird that you got the Windows requires a digitally signed driver thing, but I think I've gotten that too, and it's probably due to the build being made for Vista instead. Thanks for the error code -- a quick Google search seems to indicate that it's an INF issue, and again it might just be a conflict because of the build version.

I'll try to make sure I get a Windows 7 64 version built early this afternoon so you (or someone else) can try it before I'm gone. I have 7 myself but it's not installed right now. :(

Blizzard

Banned
Updated instructions and download links are now available here:
http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/wiki/GettingStarted

These alpha files should support Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit/64-bit, and Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit. I am still holding off on a release thread until I improve the install and uninstall process a little and get some testing feedback from users.

*edit* Someone got the XP version working on a netbook. Windows 7 should be working. I just uploaded some new files.

Blizzard

Banned
Please pardon the repeated updates. I thought I would provide one more piece of news if anyone is still following this.

The drivers have worked for SuperAngelo64 and another guy in Windows 7. They also work on my Windows 7 64-bit system, my Windows XP 32-bit system, and I believe at least one other person's XP system.

The uninstaller is still not finished, and you have to follow the Troubleshooting guide on the website (http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/wiki/GettingStarted) if you need to manually remove devices.

Of course there are still problems to fix, and the driver doesn't work for one tester right now, so I'm still just trying to gather as much data as possible and see what I can do. In particular, if you have used Driver Verifier in the past (i.e. if you know what that is) you want to make sure its checks are either turned off or you're not using it, since it produces bugchecks when it's turned on. I don't know how to fix those issues yet.

I'm planning to try to upload the source code tonight if anyone is interested in that as well, and then I will be gone for a week or so without much time for development, probably. I will try to answer questions if anyone has any, though. If you can't reach me through a forum you can email me at gtschemer at gmail dot com.

animlboogy said:
Is there any way to make the analog stick work as a mouse? This would be an awesome HTPC setup.

He has it set up so that if you press the MSN/people icon it makes the joysticks work like a mouse. It's surprisingly accurate too.

My only suggestion is that for people with really huge resolutions it seems a little slow. I think it would be cool if maybe when you held down RT or LT it would double the speed of the mouse. Not being ungrateful! Just throwing out a suggestion!! The drivers work awesome!!

Blizzard

Banned
animlboogy said:
Is there any way to make the analog stick work as a mouse? This would be an awesome HTPC setup.
Both thumbsticks can be used to control the mouse. I suppose I should detail some features, kinda:

* Installs as a filter driver underneath the official Microsoft driver, so your controller operation shouldn't be affected by default.

* Installs virtual keyboard and mouse HID devices, so that there is no DLL hooking, no messing with the Steam directory, and no communication with games except through just acting like a HID device for Windows to handle. Hopefully this should not cause any problems with VAC or other cheat protection programs, but of course I can't guarantee it.

* Has a lot of configurable options that allow you to remap various keys, so you can use something like "orange + 1" to be F1, or alt-tab, or whatever.

* Supports a "Windows Mode" that can be toggled. I think the default config file I have uploaded lets the little people button on the chatpad toggle Windows Mode. When this mode is active, your controller buttons and thumbsticks stop controlling the active game, and instead can be used for things like mouse clicks, mouse movement (thumbsticks only), and keybinds.

* Supports mapping controller buttons to actions, so if your game doesn't use the Guide Key, you might set your config file up to map that to something key combination.

SuperAngelo64 said:
My only suggestion is that for people with really huge resolutions it seems a little slow. I think it would be cool if maybe when you held down RT or LT it would double the speed of the mouse.
It's definitely not perfect, but open the config file and check out the THUMBSTICK_MOUSE_SENSITIVITY option. Different computers behave differently right now, so you might want to fiddle with that setting. :)

Just remember, anyone who tries downloading these drivers, these are ALPHA kernel drivers and you may end up with crashes etc. Make sure you're comfortable with Device Manager, in case you need it, and read the Getting Started guide with its Troubleshooting notes carefully before you do anything.

Okay, thanks. I fiddled around with the sensitivity and got it where I wanted. I'm typing this from my couch now!

I haven't had any problems or crashes and I've been running it in the background for about 20 hours now.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, using both thumbsticks makes the mouse move more quickly, since I figured that was somewhat intuitive. :)

I'm still holding off on the thread until I get some outstanding issues hopefully fixed. I have added the known issues to the site here:
http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/issues/list

People have had success on multiple operating systems using the driver, but if you have any problems that don't show up on the issues list please let me know. You can let me know anyway, in fact, since that might help me get more information or focus on your problem first. :D

telengard

This is AWESOME. I've been using a logitech rumblestick and a madcatz keypad on my emulator settop box but was hoping someday the chatpad would work.

Thanks for your hard work!

~telengard

Blizzard

Banned
telengard said:
This is AWESOME. I've been using a logitech rumblestick and a madcatz keypad on my emulator settop box but was hoping someday the chatpad would work.

Thanks for your hard work!

~telengard
You're quite welcome. I am still hoping to have another release out in the next week or so, which should fix some of the issues that people have been working around so far. Then if I have time I guess the next step is to look into whether wireless controller support is possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is the focus 360? is the PS3 more difficult to work with? The chatpad equivalent on the PS3 also doubles up as a mouse which might be more flexible?

Walshicus

mrklaw said:
why is the focus 360? is the PS3 more difficult to work with? The chatpad equivalent on the PS3 also doubles up as a mouse which might be more flexible?
More utility with the 360 version. You see a lot of PC games support the 360 controller natively.

cedric69

This is great news! Many thanks for tackling it.

Edit: although wired only seriously dampens my enthusiasm. In any case, keep up the good work!

mrklaw said:
ps3 chatpad requires a second charge, ergonomically its also not that great, and ps3 controller driver support is minimal at best

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hopefully you can work it out for the wireless X360 pad as well... and maybe give it digital driver certification so that I won't have to disable control over it at boot.

edit: (why put the edit before my original post? i dunno!)

but... just about any game that supports the Xbox 360 controller can be played just fine with a PS3 controller. there's a signed Windows PS3 controller driver that supports Sixaxis and DualShock3 via USB and a variety of Bluetooth chipsets and dongles. it supports 360 controller emulation, full remapping, mouse emulation with analog sticks, keyboard mapping, macros, etc...

mrklaw said:
isn't the PS3 keyboard a standard bluetooth keyboard?

Blizzard

Banned
mrklaw said:
The PS3 stuff already had drivers, presumably.

I already had a 360 wired controller, I liked the controller, and people had been wanting drivers for a couple of years, so I figured it was a worthwhile problem to tackle. :) It's just preference. And yes, test-signed or fully-signed drivers are hopefully in the future at some point.

surrogate

Typing this with the chatpad, thanks Blizzard. Works great (XP) in tandem with Joy2Key for playing Pangya as well as browsing and htpc control. Wireless would be great, keep up the good work.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't have an updated driver version right now, unfortunately, but I did want to relay some news from the mp3car forum where the driver contest originated. They deemed I won the contest, and we just finally got the details on how the prize worked out. It turns out that one of the mp3car guys apparently had a friend at Microsoft. Due to that, the prize donation got matched (plus employee discount stuff?) by the very company who apparently did not care enough to make PC drivers to begin with. :D

Fiberoptic from the mp3car forum said:
Thanks to my friend at Microsoft, Parag Garg we now have two of everything on the list below getting donated to the hospital as part of Child's Play. Most of this stuff was bought at 1/2 off retail rates, almost quadrupling the original donation! The kids are going to love this. We'll try to do a quick video when we drop it off.

Xbox 360 Play Charge Kit 2010
MIC29009500
Project Gotham Racing 4 Xbox 360 NTSC
MIC28306300
Xbox 360 4gb Kinect Bundle
MIC30022200
Forza 3 Platinum Xbox 360 NTSC
MIC28027800
Halo Reach Xbox 360 Launch Copy
MIC28026100
Kinect Joy Ride Xbox 360
MIC28026900
Xbox 360 Quickcharge kit 2010
MIC29009600
Kinectimals Xbox 360
MIC28027200
Crackdown 2 Xbox 360
MIC28022900
Kinect Sports Xbox 360
MIC28027000
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller 2010
MIC29009800
Xbox 360 4GB Console
MIC30021900

I haven't abandoned the project of improving the drivers and researching wireless support, I'm just very slow. Thanks to everyone who has tried the drivers. :)

Hate to necro such an old thread, but I wondered if anyone is still using these?

I'm having a problem with it. I can get it just fine to work with the desktop, but I recently got a new laptop and the install went fairly smoothly, I just can't really seem to get the chatpad to type anything.

The keys light up when I start to type and I can use the MSN icon to use it in 'windows mode' (mouse mode), but the keys just will not type anything.

I have a feeling it may have to do with the fact that my laptop won't recognize USB keyboards. Can anyone steer my in the right direction here?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hate to necro such an old thread, but I wondered if anyone is still using these?

I'm having a problem with it. I can get it just fine to work with the desktop, but I recently got a new laptop and the install went fairly smoothly, I just can't really seem to get the chatpad to type anything.

The keys light up when I start to type and I can use the MSN icon to use it in 'windows mode' (mouse mode), but the keys just will not type anything.

I have a feeling it may have to do with the fact that my laptop won't recognize USB keyboards. Can anyone steer my in the right direction here?

If it's like MotioninJoy, you might need to restart Windows 7 under unsigned drivers mode. Yes, that's annoying. Yes, you have to do it on every bootup. :/

If it's like MotioninJoy, you might need to restart Windows 7 under unsigned drivers mode. Yes, that's annoying. Yes, you have to do it on every bootup. :/

Yeah, the drivers don't work at all unless you do that. It's still not working.

Strange though that the mouse mode with work and the keys light up, but it won't type anything.

Blizzard

Banned

It may indeed have something to do with the laptop not recognizing USB keyboards -- I can't remember whether I made the virtual keyboard act like a USB keyboard or a normal keyboard.

You -might- try the alternate startup code utility (called something like test4 on the website) but I'm not sure it will help. =/ Sorry you're having problems with it.

It may indeed have something to do with the laptop not recognizing USB keyboards -- I can't remember whether I made the virtual keyboard act like a USB keyboard or a normal keyboard.

You -might- try the alternate startup code utility (called something like test4 on the website) but I'm not sure it will help. =/ Sorry you're having problems with it.

Alright, I'll take a look into it. If push comes to shove I'll have to invest in one of these pricey suckers:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290556874636?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Blizzard

Banned
Alright, I'll take a look into it. If push comes to shove I'll have to invest in one of these pricey suckers:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290556874636?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Just an update, judging from what SuperAngelo64 has sent me via PM, it -looks- like this is an issue due to duplicate virtual keyboard and mouse devices, and one of the steps in the wiki talks about manually uninstalling those, after which a reinstall should fix things:

http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/wiki/GettingStarted

If I ever got around to writing a proper un/reinstalller this shouldn't happen. :p

*update* Maybe not. It apparently didn't work for him, so I'm not sure whether that was part of the problem or not.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope people will forgive me this blast from the past, but I wanted to post in this thread in case there were thread subscribers who wanted notification. Someone helpfully emailed me since I missed a comment from a few days ago by the person who added chatpad driver support in Linux. It looks like they figured out how to make their drivers work with the chatpad for the WIRELESS controller as well. It sounds like it is relatively straightforward too, possibly just involving a specific USB device endpoint, so kudos to them for discovering this out.

I don't know if I will get around to working on the drivers (I also need to fix install/uninstall stuff, and probably fix some sort of leftover BSOD crash(es), but if I ever do, I'd definitely like to add the wireless support. I still have a wireless controller and new chatpad unopened sitting around.

Top Bottom