• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

nush

Good little boys don't need to get hit. Me? I was a little shit :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Abusive parents often have the opposite effect of raising tricky kids who have to git good as a survival mechanism.

I went from growing some balls and standing up do my Dad with a "Didn't hurt!" When I got slapped for a minor infraction that my younger brother got away with because "They're younger, you should know better" and then getting slapped more until it DID hurt.

To, selling the lightest slap as the most painful thing ever like a WEE wrestler putting on a stellar performance. Even though I'd never even seen wrestling back then.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
First I was joking no need to get butthurt. Second who's this tough guy with abusive parents?
Papa Papa but don't tell anyone :(.

(My butt is fine for the moment by the way, though toilet paper scarcity may become an issue soon)

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
First I was joking no need to get butthurt. Second who's this tough guy with abusive parents?
I think he thinks you can only be tough and masculine if you copped a little spank in your youth. Probably true.

EDIT: Or not...this went places. Lol.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
No I do not, I think spanking your child is child abuse and a pretty major failing character-wise and as a parent.
In moderation, it teaches discipline and morals. It works well. I was hit as a kid and my moral compass is sharp as an arrow.

If you want an example of a society that doesn’t discipline their children properly and want to witness the result, open your front door and stick your head outside.

Mista

Banned
In moderation, it teaches discipline and morals. It works well. I was hit as a kid and my moral compass is sharp as an arrow.

If you want an example of a society that doesn’t discipline their children properly and want to witness the result, open your front door and stick your head outside.
You must be a forum tough guy with abusive parents

Yoshi

“It’s a very controversial area even though the research is extremely telling and very clear and consistent about the negative effects on children,” says Sandra Graham-Bermann, PhD, a psychology professor and principal investigator for the Child Violence and Trauma Laboratory at the University of Michigan. (...)
Many studies have shown that physical punishment — including spanking, hitting and other means of causing pain — can lead to increased aggression, antisocial behavior, physical injury and mental health problems for children.
But spanking doesn’t work, says Alan Kazdin, PhD, a Yale University psychology professor and director of the Yale Parenting Center and Child Conduct Clinic. “You cannot punish out these behaviors that you do not want,” says Kazdin, who served as APA president in 2008. “There is no need for corporal punishment based on the research. We are not giving up an effective technique. We are saying this is a horrible thing that does not work.”

The Joint Statement on Physical Punishment of Children and Youth finds

The evidence is clear and compelling — physical punishment of children and youth plays no useful role in their upbringing and poses only risks to their development. The conclusion is equally compelling — parents should be strongly encouraged to develop alternative and positive approaches to discipline.46
The study defined “harsh physical punishment” as pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping or hitting by elders. It suggests that even if there is no major maltreatment or physical abuse, these punishments can psychologically affect a child in adulthood.
In conclusion, for a child to learn self-discipline and effective coping skills to deal with daily frustrations, stressors and tensions, this is best accomplished without physical punishment.
Inner values, morals and means of self-discipline are best developed through identification with the parents and their non-punitive means of education.
Physical punishment may influence behavior in the short-term. However, physical methods of discipline can result in the following consequences in your child:

• bullying other children
  • being aggressive
  • behavioral problems
  • fearing his or her parents
  • poor self-esteem
  • thinking that hitting is okay
  • increased risk of depression, anxiety, and personality problems
Studies dating back to the early 1960s suggest a relationship between corporal punishment and decreased cognitive ability in early childhood. Recent research has added support to these findings. A 2009 study examined two cohorts of children within the National Longitudinal Study of Youth (NLSY) and found that, even controlling for other parenting behaviors and demographics, children of mothers who used little or no corporal punishment “gained cognitive ability faster than children who were spanked.”
The data in this area have recently been summarized by Elizabeth Gershoff (Report on Physical Punishment in the United States, 2008) and Susan Bitensky (Corporal Punishment of Children, 2006). The evidence shows that physical punishment is stunningly deleterious at every developmental level.

Meta-analyses of hundreds of studies document that physical punishment is associated with: verbal and physical aggression; delinquent, antisocial, and criminal behavior; poorer quality of parent-child relationships; impaired mental health; and later abuse of one’s own spouse and children.

Do you need more? I haven't found a single piece of evidence suggesting corporal punishment is instrumental.

Last edited:
I was a terrible kid growing up. I got beat down by everything.

I've never hit my children and I don't think I ever will. We have a good trusting relationship. I want my kids to be able to come to me instead of hiding shit.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I was a terrible kid growing up. I got beat down by everything.

I've never hit my children and I don't think I ever will. We have a good trusting relationship. I want my kids to be able to come to me instead of hiding shit.
What a sentimental touching story

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
lol can I get in on the budget parenting advice?

The goal of a spanking or slap on the hand is to form a memory that helps them empathize with others and to understand natural consequences. Or go ahead and let them touch the stove and bite their siblings, that's cool too. I'm sure they won't quickly figure out that they can resort to physical measures (that neither Mommy nor Daddy will use) because the worst they get is a toy taken away or a stern talking to. Also roughhousing with kids (especially boys) outside the context of punishment is valuable so they have the chance to learn "good" physical contact and "bad" physical contact.

"Yeah but I'll just talk to them again and tell them not to".

Aaaaand this is why helicopter parenting has become such a problem. You're not instilling memorable lessons about consequences. The goal is for them to behave on their own without someone watching them. You're simply teaching them to watch out (and craftily dodge) The Authority because you have to observe them like a hawk and catch them in the act to have any sort of efficacy.

/budget parenting advice

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Canadians, amirite

C-n8FkgV0AAoHS-.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I don't understand the American contempt for Canadians at all, I realize we are joking around and jokes are humourous, but there does actually exist a mutual contempt between the two that always seems to be bubbling just below the surface niceties.

Not that I agree with it, but I do understand where the Canadian's contempt comes from, they think Americans are stupid fat lazy warmongering idiots who drink watered down beer, but even before we leaned heavily into SJW nonsense, the American disdain seemed to be based on a sense that Canadians were just, polite odd ducks? I really don't get it.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I don't understand the American contempt for Canadians at all, I realize we are joking around and jokes are humourous, but there does actually exist a mutual contempt between the two that always seems to be bubbling just below the surface niceties.

Not that I agree with it, but I do understand where the Canadian's contempt comes from, they think Americans are stupid fat lazy warmongering idiots who drink watered down beer, but even before we leaned heavily into SJW nonsense, the American disdain seemed to be based on a sense than Canadians were just, polite odd ducks? I really don't get it.

Sibling rivalry. We see Canada as a little brother to be picked on. It comes from love though.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Do you need more? I haven't found a single piece of evidence suggesting corporal punishment is instrumental.
Yeah, I stopped reading at a hyphenated surname from an American university.

I don’t need phDs to tell me what’s good for kids because I am not an idiot.

Not that I agree with it, but I do understand where the Canadian's contempt comes from, they think Americans are stupid fat lazy warmongering idiots who drink watered down beer, but even before we leaned heavily into SJW nonsense, the American disdain seemed to be based on a sense that Canadians were just, polite odd ducks? I really don't get it.

South Park joked about Canada when we were kids/younger and I guess for some of us that seed grew into...something

Canada seems pretty cool to me. I hear Montreal is beautiful

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
lol can I get in on the budget parenting advice?

The goal of a spanking or slap on the hand is to form a memory that helps them empathize with others and to understand natural consequences. Or go ahead and let them touch the stove and bite their siblings, that's cool too. I'm sure they won't quickly figure out that they can resort to physical measures (that neither Mommy nor Daddy will use) because the worst they get is a toy taken away or a stern talking to. Also roughhousing with kids (especially boys) outside the context of punishment is valuable so they have the chance to learn "good" physical contact and "bad" physical contact.

"Yeah but I'll just talk to them again and tell them not to".

Aaaaand this is why helicopter parenting has become such a problem. You're not instilling memorable lessons about consequences. The goal is for them to behave on their own without someone watching them. You're simply teaching them to watch out (and craftily dodge) The Authority because you have to observe them like a hawk and catch them in the act to have any sort of efficacy.

/budget parenting advice
Damn, you must be an abusive parent and all your kids are in therapy right now /s

Yoshi

Also roughhousing with kids (especially boys) outside the context of punishment is valuable so they have the chance to learn "good" physical contact and "bad" physical contact.
Roughhousing with kids is not physical punishment though. Rough forms of play are both, outside of the scope of the results above, and not what I was criticising at all. Regarding the budget advice outside of that: It is probably budget for a reason. The premium advice by experts shows that disregarding potential good intentions, physical punishment has a detrimental effect on the children.

EDIT: I forgot to say: Obdience to authority is not the goal, it can be a crudge when understanding is missing (especially when children are really young), but to raise a self-competent child, it is important to teach the child to critically overthink rules and to understand the value in the rules, rather than following them out of fear of punishment.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Roughhousing with kids is not physical punishment though. Rough forms of play are both, outside of the scope of the results above, and not what I was criticising at all. Regarding the budget advice outside of that: It is probably budget for a reason. The premium advice by experts shows that disregarding potential good intentions, physical punishment has a detrimental effect on the children.
If your child ends up bad, it's your fault anyway. You could blame "experts" but the damage is done. This applies to whether you spank or don't spank, obviously. Parents who take the route of deferring to others may cause different kinds of harm, but hey at least it was comforting to know that you weren't "ruining" them according to the wisdom of the day. 🤷‍♀️

I didn't say roughhousing was physical punishment, I included it to emphasize that children need to form a wide variety of mental, emotional, and physical memories and to associate these memories with behaviors like literally every organism living on planet earth.

The route to achieve those memories varies wildly, but relying on mental + emotional methods while neglecting the physical will result in a deficiency.

As usual, you cannot grasp nuance so you come to incorrect conclusions based on a misreading of what someone posted.

EDIT: I forgot to say: Obdience to authority is not the goal, it can be a crudge when understanding is missing (especially when children are really young), but to raise a self-competent child, it is important to teach the child to critically overthink rules and to understand the value in the rules, rather than following them out of fear of punishment.
I didn't say obedience to authority was the goal. I stated plainly that the child needs to learn proper behavior so that the child knows how to behave when no authority figure is present. It is called "self control".

You can leave it up to the experts who tell you how to parent but it does not absolve you of responsibility, nor does it change the nature of a homo sapiens offspring. Children are an organism. They are often not fully cognizant of their own behavior anyway, to say nothing of the fact that children cannot understand complex verbal instructions before a certain age as their brains haven't developed to that stage. A human that pulls the hunting-dog's tail might get bitten. One can avoid this by hyper-protecting the child from any and every potential risk (helicopter parenting) or by beating the shit out of them until they're terrified of touching the dog at all. Both extremes are wrong.

You cannot rely only on "talking through it" since Reality doesn't care about what they've thought about and talked about. Reality will sting them with physical harm or kill them regardless. Physical punishment isn't to instill fear (though it may trigger that emotional response) or to get them to respect The Authority (though that may be one of the results).

The goal is to provide the child with a vaccine for real-world injury that they might encounter if they do not correct their behavior. It is also to help them gain empathy, as young children lack the understanding that hurting another person is not like striking an inanimate object but actually hurts the other person.

Such discipline serves a purpose for the victim of the fight. Namely, that they do not need to lash back but can trust The Authority to mete out justice to the offender. These are extremely rudimentary, primitive building blocks of human society. You can only pull out so many blocks before the resulting human organism is deficient and it isn't difficult to see where widespread breakdown of the family organization causes ripple effects through the society.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, I see Canadians for 2 months out of the year or so. Eh, they are mostly old people that come down because apparently the weather a shit there. Eh, they seem like ok people unlike most internet canadians.

Eh.

Papa

Banned

This is the problem when you retool your education system to tailor to girls. All of a sudden the metrics are based around the girl as the ideal child. Couple this with equality dogma and you destroy your masculinity. Destroy your masculinity and there’s no one left to man the gates. Next thing you know, all the good little empathetic girls have opened those gates to a hoard of barbarians. Or, in the case of your country (Germany), a hoard of refugees. Enjoy your impending third world country, you weeping vagina.

PSA: spank your boys so they don’t turn out like Yoshi.

Papa

Banned

It’s because you’re even bigger vaginas than Germans. Your country has grown up under the coddling protection of big daddy US and you’re all soft as butter as a result. There’s a reason the class II trannies are predominantly in California and Toronto.

Papa

Banned
Yeah, I stopped reading at a hyphenated surname from an American university.

I don’t need phDs to tell me what’s good for kids because I am not an idiot.

You’re semi-joking but there’s some truth here. Scientists study data, compare with metrics, and draw conclusions. If the established metrics hold the ideal girl — the quiet, polite teacher’s pet type — as the Überchild, then any typically masculine behaviors are going to fall short of the metrics. Compound that with the equality dogma that many, if not most, in the social sciences have swallowed, and there can’t even be a separate set of metrics for boys. That is how you get this idea that spanking — even a light tap on the bum for a truly naughty act — is evil and immoral. It also shows why it’s dangerous to hand morality over to scientists. As I said, they study data, compare with metrics, and come to conclusions. But who sets the metrics? Yoshi thinks he’s non-religious but he doesn’t realise that he’s following a different religion. He’s still deriving his morality from a higher power — social “scientists” who are in fact creating their own equivalent of the bible on the fly.

Papa

Banned

Condolences for when your boys announce their genderfluidity at age 15

Yoshi

This is the problem when you retool your education system to tailor to girls. All of a sudden the metrics are based around the girl as the ideal child. Couple this with equality dogma and you destroy your masculinity. Destroy your masculinity and there’s no one left to man the gates. Next thing you know, all the good little empathetic girls have opened those gates to a hoard of barbarians. Or, in the case of your country (Germany), a hoard of refugees. Enjoy your impending third world country, you weeping vagina.

PSA: spank your boys so they don’t turn out like Yoshi.
Never change :messenger_heart:

Top Bottom