• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear 20th Anniversary website opens

Oni Jazar

I hope Kojima realizes the potential that BLU-RAY has to offer for a compilation like this. Why not throw ALL the PS1 & PS2 games on one BD50? (MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS2, Document, MGS3, MGS Saga) Even though I own every one of those games I'd buy them again to have it on one disc.

Jonnyram said:
Ordered my set from Amazon a month ago.
Who knows, I may actually play them this time :lol

holy...! is the laughter for your own stupidity? That must have cost a bomb, and you MIGHT play it> I looked at that box set and cried quarters

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Oni Jazar said:
I hope Kojima realizes the potential that BLU-RAY has to offer for a compilation like this. Why not throw ALL the PS1 & PS2 games on one BD50? (MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS2, Document, MGS3, MGS Saga) Even though I own every one of those games I'd buy them again to have it on one disc.

PSOne/PSP/PS2 Bluray forward compatible confirmed

Jonnyram

nelsonroyale said:
holy...! is the laughter for your own stupidity? That must have cost a bomb, and you MIGHT play it> I looked at that box set and cried quarters
$45 is not what I'd call a bomb :p Besides I paid for half of it by selling off the original versions. I know this box was going to be special so I sold the old games first.

SolidSnakex said:
Bigger version

41wpAEln0sL._SS500_.jpg

Awesome!! I really want this

cvxfreak

I like, but am not a huge fan of, the MGS games, let along a big enough fan to get the Japanese versions.

But I knew I had to have this bundle when it was first revealed.

fr4nz said:
http://www.konamistyle.jp/ecitem/item40296.html

itemVW353-J1p1_1.jpg

this pack includes :

・METAL GEAR [PS2]
・METAL GEAR 2 SOLID SNAKE [PS2]
・METAL GEAR SOLID [PS]
・METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY [PS2]
・THE DOCUMENT OF METAL GEAR SOLID 2 [PS2]
・METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER [PS2]
・METAL GEAR SOLID PORTABLE OPS [PSP]
・METAL GEAR SAGA [DVD]

I want that so bad, but yeah, all that needs to be on bluray for America in a nice package.

I already have all the games included.

But if it comes to the States, I'm getting it anyway!

Edit::
41wpAEln0sL._SS500_.jpg

homerav.jpg

Edit 2.0

In one of Ryans podcasts he said that there were problems with having to make PS1 games again, because there hasn't been PS1 game production in so many years.
Why don't they just put them on DVD's?

cvxfreak

icarus-daedelus said:
Do you have a bundle fetish, cvxfreak? I'm a huge fan of MGS and I don't want that. :p

$60 bundle fetishes that have hot presentations like that, yeah! :D

It helps that I don't own MGS2 or MGS3 at the moment.

fistfulofmetal said:
I already have all the games included.

But if it comes to the States, I'm getting it anyway!

Edit::
41wpAEln0sL._SS500_.jpg

homerav.jpg

Edit 2.0

In one of Ryans podcasts he said that there were problems with having to make PS1 games again, because there hasn't been PS1 game production in so many years.
Why don't they just put them on DVD's?

Yeah seriously....why even worry with releasing the PS1 copies then? PS3 and PS2 are all backwards compatible anyway!!

Hell, just release the whole damn set on one PS3 Blu-ray Konami!!

Jonnyram said:
$45 is not what I'd call a bomb :p Besides I paid for half of it by selling off the original versions. I know this box was going to be special so I sold the old games first.

wow...great price...ah, Ive got most of them so their is little point for me...still great deal..now if only it came with an MGS4 demo then I would buy it

cvxfreak

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah seriously....why even worry with releasing the PS1 copies then? PS3 and PS2 are all backwards compatible anyway!!

Hell, just release the whole damn set on one PS3 Blu-ray Konami!!

BD sounds nice, but it really has to play on PS2s, not just the PS3.

It also doesn't make sense considering that a lot of PS2's can't play those discs (hell, my old PS2 couldn't even play early PS2 games)
Throwing it on one DVD just makes sense.

Troidal

It looks nice and all, but...hrm...already have the games I want to keep, don't need the rest really :/ If it did came with something MGS4, yeah pretty enticing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HomerSimpson-Man said:
The reason is that PS1 game can't be put on a DVD and remain bootable on PS2.

cvxfreak said:
BD sounds nice, but it really has to play on PS2s, not just the PS3.
Why not drop one BD on top of all these disks in the set, as to make it more of an incentive to buy? I would actually buy it in that case. Maybe even do a remake that would just make the games run in high resolution with antialiasing. As it is, this whole thing is pretty lazy and redundant, IMO.

Marconelly said:
The reason is that PS1 game can't be put on a DVD and remain bootable on PS2.

Why not drop one BD on top of all these disks in the set, as to make it more of an incentive to buy? I would actually buy it in that case. Maybe even do a remake that would just make the games run in high resolution with antialiasing. As it is, this whole thing is pretty lazy and redundant, IMO.

Well they could just make it boot technically as a PS2 game and not a PS1 game. Really either way, damn near everybody is going to run these babies on a PS2 at least.

dfyb

Banned
wow i expected that set to cost a lot but it's basically teh price of a normal game...

edit: it announced for US yet?

USD

Man I hate Japan. I just feel like there's little chance this set makes it across seas. I really hope I'm wrong though.

cvxfreak

Marconelly said:

Look at those PS3 sales, dude. Is it really worth it? (not saying this to troll or incite controversy, just being flat out honest)

This is equivalent to re-release packages they do in the DVD market. It's a nice set and a buy for those who are collectors or like me don't have all the games.

Jonnyram

If you could just dump it on BD and run it, then sure! But somehow I think there would be some extra work to do, and as a result, it would not be a good ROI.

jjasper

Man that pack looks awesome, I would totally hit it up if it dropped her in the US.

It looks like they are using Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater instead of Substance and Subsistence, why do that?

djkimothy

dfyb said:
they should put them all on blu-ray and bundle it with the collector's edition of MGS4

There's a collector's edition of MGS4? :eek: But yes, I agree with this. It would be so ****ING AWESOME!

I am a huge MGS whore, I buy everything MGS related, and I'm surprised by everyone's reaction to that picture... I thought it looks very underwhelming, just black and silver? I need to see a closer picture from another angle before I splooge.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
cvxfreak said:
Look at those PS3 sales, dude. Is it really worth it? (not saying this to troll or incite controversy, just being flat out honest)
They obviously think it's worth it to release a sequel that costs hell knows how much more to make than what I suggested. It would take a whole of 3 interns to port MGS1 to PS3 using their existing MGS4 engine, especially if they don't even have to redo textures or anything else. Or at least they could make it available as part of the PSN store, which is just an ISO wrapper, and which in itself would be a nice addition to this Anniversary pack, done with zero effort. Or if they're so concerned with PS3 sales, at the very least port MGS1 to PS2 using their existing engine, again without even redoing any assets.

The way I see it, it almost isn't worth it to release it the way it is, to be honest, only the low price makes it worthy.

cvxfreak

Marconelly said:
The way I see it, it almost isn't worth it to release it the way it is, to be honest, only the low price makes it worthy.

That's the thing. This is a low price bundle that even includes Portable Ops, which was released only half a year ago. You shouldn't expect Konami to actually redo any coding in any of the games for this price low price while maintaining the integrity of this awesome package. It makes no sense whatsoever.

KTallguy

Banned
YESDOWANTOMGYES.

The voice over at one point refers to Snake as: "The legendary hero that saved the world, but also called a criminal who destroyed the world."

Interesting ...

edit: oops, at first I thought they were talking about the new old snake, not Big Boss :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
KTallguy said:
YESDOWANTOMGYES.

The voice over at one point refers to Snake as: "The legendary hero that saved the world, but also called a criminal who destroyed the world."

Interesting ...

edit: oops, at first I thought they were talking about the new old snake, not Big Boss :p

MGS3 spoiler:
"The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her. In America, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor. And in Russia, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a war criminal. And no one will ever understand her. That... was her final mission. And like a true soldier, she saw it through the end." I think MGS4 will clear things up on Big Boss and we will finally find out what his true motives were for Outer Heaven. Maybe he was not a traitor after all.

BigBoss

Wario64 said:
20th Anniversary intro

http://gametrailers.com/player/21333.html

Shows MGS4 trailer footage, then a compilation video of MGS3 to MGS4 timeline

Translation:
I came across him in a town in the Middle East.

However prosperous it once had been, the town was now engulfed in war.

It was a pointless conflict between PMC mercenaries and local militia fighters.

War had since become a commodity in a marketplace governed by immense capital.

Amid this stood a man who fought alone and for himself.

An aged warhorse.

Solid Snake.

Formerly known as a hero who saved the world, he was now labeled a criminal who'd brought it to ruin.

Though tired of battle, he returned to the fight.

His aim was to put an end to his cursed blood.

To him, this was his atonement.

Solid Snake, senescent soldier.

What secrets lie in that blood?

Credit to Upuaut at TUS

Top Bottom