• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear canon will ruin The Phantom Pain

Shengar

That was quite a fine read. You really managed to present your concern in a well written up OP. Too bad only few poster actually cared about the main cause of your concern. To people who have said that OP should judge the game on it's own merit, that exactly the problem for him. MGS isn't like FF where number means nothing and you can actually judge them by their own. There are many recurring characters that deeply involved either on the side or grand narratives of MGS. The OP have write a nice breakdown on how each MGS tackle different themes. The even numbered games dealt with meta-narratives most of the time, while the odd numbered dealt with more grounded themes.

The thing is that The Phantom Pain focused on the story of Big Boss, where he was heavily featured in MGS3, where the issue being tackled is more serious in nature and doesn't have any conflicting story element with the established canon (at that time), which of course should happened since MGS 3 is the prequel to all thing. In MGS3 we could see why Big Boss become cynic and turn into more of an anti-hero that become a perfect reason why he later become a villain. Despite that, we could see the usual wackiness from the usual MGS we should expect, but nothing really went overboard in MGS3 and the tone mostly the same when compared to MGS 1.

The Phantom Pain will dealt further into his fall from grace as OP have put it, but the main problem is that the game being set directly after the most canonical wrecked up game that is The Peace Walker. PW despite being the sequel of MGS3 and prequel to other ones just trying too hard to connect all the dot that originally come from MGS4, another wrecked game in term of canon since it's a continuation to MGS2 that being supposed to Kojima's last MGS game at that time. And Kojima rack it it up to the eleven with giving us more wackiness than any other MGS game combined. Even though one might argue that the side ops isn't canon and we can ignore it, there are some ridiculous things that indeed happened in the game canonically, that is Paz betrayal (in bikini/underwear).

With that much tone of the game being set up in massive wackiness, you could imagine the heavy dissonance one might experience by playing The Phantom Pan that is supposed to tackle extremely serious issues/themes. The dissonance might be more severe because the tonal shift just too extreme that it might hinder one capability to judge the game on its merit. This is the reason why OP write it all of his/her concern in one well written paragraphs.

I couldn't add anything to this discussion OP, as I'm pretty much agree with all the thing you've just posted. I actually interested in The Phantom Pain after all of that write up but considering the extreme tonal change, I might just have continue stance on the series, that is too ignore after all of that wrecked (also due to my pity on Kojim since he couldn't divert his creative energy elsewhere beside MGS). I don't suggest you take the same stance, but unless you could forget brainwash your brain from the shit that is Peace Walker, you would just suffer further from massive dissonance by playing The Phantom Pain.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Which is funny, because I remember reading an interview where Kojima said he would never consider games to be art.

That's why I said "close" ;)

(kinda cross posting)

I think he said it couldn't be Art because he considered it Entertainment. I think it's as close to Art as a AAA videogame is gonna get because it uses the medium in a way few others ever have to express a message, and it took huge risks in doing so. It has a lot to say about a broad range of subjects, from stuff as inane as gaming hype and gamers in general, to the nature of reality in the Information Age. Yet it managed in all that to improve the series' trademark playability a thousand fold. In many ways though, it tries to be unsatisfactory on purpose to make it's point, retreading and subverting ground trodden in MGS, yanking control of Snake away from the player, bitterly taking potshots at gamer mentality (Raiden), and having many of the really exciting events happening off screen (Ninja Olga vs Snake), among other things. It's a magnificent bit of game design (although it arguably relies a little too much on knowledge of MGS). Christ, he even used the RL marketing to make a point about disinformation! That's fucking ballsy when you're dealing with the most anticipated game in the world (at least, it was at that time).

It's an incredible package that, like all good Art, leaves you shell-shocked and makes you think about stuff beyond the actual experience itself. There are few (if any) AAA games like it and I doubt we'll see anything of it's like again. Even if people personally didn't like it (and I can understand that), they have to respect the balls and the mastery of the medium on display.

Metal Gear was never that serious. Running around in a box? President groping your crotch? Throwing grenades in a really specific sequence? Vamp floating on water? No way.

And I loved Peace Walker.

Raonak

Banned
Im one of thoes MGS fans that loves it because it combines serious stuff with kojima's whacky humour.

MGSV seems to be taking itself too seriously for it's own good. :/

Heartfyre

I've never accepted the argument that MGS' overall story is convoluted. Yes, it's complex, with the premise of each game made up independently of an overall plan...but every event can be justified in its own, peculiar way. The worst offenders are the later games, especially MGS4, with its lowpoint being the ending. Yet we've known how Big Boss' story would play out since the MSX games--in broad strokes, perhaps, but the canon has kept to that.

The concept that The Phantom Pain will suffer from Peace Walker's brevity seems discounted by Ground Zeroes to me. I felt that it became much more serious, tackling its drama more seriously than before. How can you even compare Chico and Paz to how they were in Peace Walker? They've both been broken by their torture. They're much more serious than they were.

But I'm glad the humour is still there, as its part of the Metal Gear DNA. The arguments I hear against it is that it detracts from the seriousness of the drama and themes, and I've never had that experience. It's very possible to disassociate the humour from the drama for me. Why does anyone else have difficulties? It's just part of the image that the whole package projects, and without the humour, critical aspects of MGS' identity would be abandoned. I, for one, am delighted that Hideo Kojima personally starred in 1/7th of Ground Zeroes. It simply complements the vagina-bombing/damn-fiddle-playing alongside the serious topics of child soldiery and blood diamonds that we're likely to see.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I respectfully disagree. If anything ruins MGSV, it will be its desire to "push the boundaries" and be "edgy" and "controversial". The established canon is what will fuel Phantom Pain and the main reason I am looking forward to it.
After re-reading the OP, I'm going to pull a 180 and say that I don't entirely disagree. I actually loved MGS4, but this quote really got me:

OP said:
It was the eleventh hour twists that retconed everyone into place to give things meaning that didn't need to have meaning. It forced ridiculous explanations which forced technologies to be created to justify a story that was never meant to be.
The game did feel forced and somewhat unnatural. MGS1, 2, and 3 felt much more natural, if that makes any sense. They each functioned on their own, and Kojima and his team were really able to realize his creative visions and make them into something concrete. MGS4 didn't feel like it had the same amount of love poured into it at all - it was highly methodical with the way all questions had to be answered and all characters had to be present. The trend of "everything has to connect to everything and everybody" was even worse in Peace Walker, where they pushed The Boss (somehow) back into the spotlight after her original role (being the source of Big Boss' disillusionment) had already been fulfilled. Huey being Otacon's father, looking and sounding exactly like him, and meeting Big Boss by coincidence was extremely unbelievable.

I think you're right, OP. Canon has been tying this series down since MGS4. I have high hopes for TPP and I hope it's able to stand on its own as a game, but you certainly make a good point. At the same time, though, this game's place in the timeline gives it the opportunity to make some of MGS4's last minute retcons feel more organic. Now we can see Zero turn into who he is, and we can see Big Boss fall and how Zero plays into it. In the end, it all boils down to how Kojima and his team handle the storytelling.

solarus

I would have preferred if kojima just used the metal gear name but made a game that had no relation to the previous characters and plot so that it wouldn't be constrained, especially with the more serious tonal shift metal gear solid v has.

Savitar

I hate how many people always act as if cannon is a bad thing.

No, it's bad when people take a story and basically do shit that is completely in opposition of what was done before and messes up with it's history.

Tekku

Material accepted into the main story in an fictional story.

So the canon in the Metal Gear universe is all the unique things established that sets it apart from other fictional universes?

Are we talking about the story solely or does it also include gameplay elements?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hate how many people always act as if cannon is a bad thing.

No, it's bad when people take a story and basically do shit that is completely in opposition of what was done before and messes up with it's history.
Yeah, it's not the canon itself, it's how you use it. Without canon we would have never had any of the MGS games, since they were all building on what was introduced in MG1. And the series did a fine job with its canon all the way from MG1 until MGS3. I think what the OP is saying is that the way the canon was handled in MGS4 started a snowball effect for all the games that came after it, because now they have to deal with its mess.

Pikma

Banned
It's threads like these that make me want to get into the Metal Gear series. But I don't like stealth gameplay :S

I'm a fan of stealth games, and even I can tell you you're not missing much, game has been more about story than gameplay anyways.

Mokujin

Kojima tells dumb stories that he thinks are smart. It's best to just accept it and enjoy the series for what it is.

There is no better way to say it, Kojima already got through hell trying to stick together a lot of the series stories in MGS4, so the best course of action is to not try to look too much into canon.

Shengar

Yeah, it's not the canon itself, it's how you use it. Without canon we would have never had any of the MGS games, since they were all building on what was introduced in MG1. And the series did a fine job with its canon all the way from MG1 until MGS3. I think what the OP is saying is that the way the canon was handled in MGS4 started a snowball effect for all the games that came after it, because now they have to deal with its mess.

It's actually Peace Walker that epitomized it. Kojima could easily write up a "normal" story for that without connecting anything just like he did from MGS2 to MGS3. But not only he took the wrong direction, he made PW have too much wackiness that it should be.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I like you OP.

Can't wait for Kojima going on serious topics like child soldiers and stuff and then ruin it with his goofy and supernatural stuff like he always does.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I like you OP.

Can't wait for Kojima going on serious topics like child soldiers and stuff and then ruin it with his goofy and supernatural stuff like he always does.

The mix of the serious and the ridiculous is the most appealing thing about the MGS series for me. I think Kojima tends to get the balance between the two really nicely (2/3 of MGS4 notwithstanding).

Imagine if the series was dour all the way through... it'd be awful.

Shengar

The mix of the serious and the ridiculous is the most appealing thing about the MGS series for me. I think Kojima tends to get the balance between the two really nicely (2/3 of MGS4 notwithstanding).

Imagine if the series was dour all the way through... it'd be awful.

I'll agree with that, but most the goofy stuff felt done well because they happened as a side event/outside the context of the main story. The perfect example would be codec conversations between Big Boss and Paramedic or Zero in MGS3.

Forkball

Metal Gear canon was already insane at MGS2. You could even argue MGS1 is where it went cuckoo. Just sit back and enjoy the insane, nonsensical ride.

I'll agree with that, but most the goofy stuff felt done well because they happened as a side event/outside the context of the main story. The perfect example would be codec conversations between Big Boss and Paramedic or Zero in MGS3.

Well, the boss's in MGS3 were pretty campy. The whole game is basically a campy spy movie, yet it still had that emotional gut punch of an ending and serious moments like when Snake is captured.

Huff

Banned
Didn't one of the games have vagina bombs?

Not one of the games I'd really be concerned about ruining the story

Mexen

For me, MGS is great franchise with complex plots. That's why it remains one of my favourite of all time.

I think you have to be a die-hard fan to truly appreciate some of its brilliance.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As far as I remember, it was explained why fortune couldn't get hit by the bullets (Fortune device) and how Vamp could come back to life (Nanomachines).

Well, neither of those were explained in just MGS2. Fortune shows she really does have powers and nanomachines are never brought up with Vamp.

So the canon in the Metal Gear universe is all the unique things established that sets it apart from other fictional universes?

Canon in MGS is more like what's part of the true, main storyline and what isn't. Metal Gear Solid (1998) is obviously canon. Something like Portable Ops (2006) is semi-canon because Kojima has gone on the record saying the general gist of that game was true but some details aren't. Finally, something like the card battle game Metal Gear Ac!d (2005) is definitvely non-canon. The story in that game isn't official. The events might relate to what happens in MGS proper or other fictional universes, but nothing about it is true or actually ever happened.

guill

Do you think that after Phantom Pain, a remake is in order for the nes games? They were good for the time, but after al this games, the story is rather simply and silly

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Curious, why not?

"I don't think they're art either, videogames."

He also said:

"To me, games are a collaborative art, or a synthesis of various things—technology, story, and art. I think games take a lot of these various elements and combine it into a whole. But unlike traditional art or music, it’s not something where the creator’s vision can be conveyed completely 100 percent to the user. It’s something that has to go through the medium and it’s something that has limitations within the scope of the service that’s being provided to the consumer. In that respect, I still don’t think games are maybe not fully art in that sense but, of course, at the same, I’m very, very happy to see my games shown in this Smithsonian institution—I’m very happy that this is taking place."

I don't agree with his assessment, personally. Video games are a format, a medium, like celluloid or a canvas or a block of marble. It is the content of something that should be judged as being or not being Art, not the medium itself. Plus, if something like a film or a comic book can be considered Art, where both are similarly collaborative efforts on different scales, then surely a video game can also be considered Art? Whether it is collaborative or not doesn't really come into it. It is the end product that must be considered regardless of the process gone through to make it.

SolVanderlyn

Video games are a format, a medium, like celluloid or a canvas or a block of marble. It is the content of something that should be judged as being or not being art, not the medium itself.
Yeah, I've been saying this for years. Thank you for putting it so eloquently.

On that note, the MGS games are definitely "artsy" games, especially with MGS2 and its meta-narrative, so I'm not sure I agree with Kojima's assessment, either.

With that much tone of the game being set up in massive wackiness, you could imagine the heavy dissonance one might experience by playing The Phantom Pan that is supposed to tackle extremely serious issues/themes. The dissonance might be more severe because the tonal shift just too extreme that it might hinder one capability to judge the game on its merit. This is the reason why OP write it all of his/her concern in one well written paragraphs.

The problem here is how do you define wackiness. If it is the crazy abilities bosses have..... well that was in every game. And they don't effect the tone of the story telling. Adding supernatural/fantasy elements doesn't automatically lighten the tone. having a comedic relief during the course of the game, despite the death and serious implications doesn't drastically change the tone of the story.All of the MGS games were pretty far out there but delivered in a way you were supposed to take the story at face value.

Emphatically disagreed, homie.

For one, despite the shared plot threads canon is arguably the least important aspect of the Metal Gear story line. Considering how plot points are regularly retconned, forgotten or conveniently ignored, it's apparent that the minute details are really there to serve the overall concepts behind every major title rather than acting as some kind of consistent universe unto itself. Each game in the series has its own distinct voice, communicating similar themes and ideas in tonally disparate ways. Metal Gear Solid has this gritty 90s techno-thriller vibe, 2 has its post-modern surrealism, 3 has it's light-hearted camp and Cold War intrigue, 4 has its bullshit and I didn't play Peace Walker so whatever. The most important thing carried over from MGS1 to MGS2 is abstract rather than any concrete plot details. The fact that Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998 by Konami on the Sony Playstation was a critically-acclaimed and best-selling video game and that fans loved the character of Solid Snake is more important to the story of MGS2 than the specific hows and whys of the Shadow Moses Incident. Every MGS game is more or less saying the same things, they're just all speaking different languages. The same is true of Phantom Pain.

The main talking point when discussing MGSV's tonal shift has been the prior proliferation and now noted absence of so-called "Goofy Ass Shit". I'm talking things like ninjas, vampires, ninja vampires, bee dudes, etc.. Most casual observers of the series have chalked these elements up to merely being the scattered residue of Kojima's own eccentricities and perverted sense of humor. And while it's true that Hideo Kojima is like a weird 60-year-old Japanese dude or something, this doesn't even begin to describe the true extent and purpose of these outlandish flights of fancy. In essence, they are strategic and deliberate devices in order to set a tone that is capable of carefully luring and intriguing players into understanding its harsh worldview. While the MGS series as a whole could be said to be about "War", more accurately it's generally more concerned with the deceptions surrounding war. The mental gymnastics of justifying atrocities, the politics of getting other people to go along with things they would never do themselves. In particular, 2 deals with how information control can change how people think and 3 deals with how fiction and idol worship can alter perceptions. With this in mind, we can now note that the MGS series up to this point takes place in a sort of state of "Unreality" where these elements can run free alongside some of the weightier concepts. For example, there aren't any fucking jungles like that in Russia. The fact that Phantom Pain mostly does away with this unreality is extremely important to the story it's telling.

That all said, 3 is probably the most important title to keep in mind when charting the course from Old MGS' unreality to Phantom Pain's unflinching gruesomeness. As I've posted before, MGS3 is a story about perception, more specifically disillusionment. Throughout the game, Naked Snake learns that war isn't the adventure that he'd hoped for, that the reality is nothing like the James Bonds or John Rambos the aesthetics so heavily crib from. The Cold War wasn't fought by Tuxedo'd Welshmen knee deep in pussy and Vietnam wasn't fought by shirtless musclemen. In killing the Boss, Snake takes the final step to acknowledge there is no Joy in battle. He had been lied to and manipulated in order to get to this point, and from then on he becomes determined to live by his own truth. He resolves to step away from the Unreality that told him being a soldier was great and instead to inhabit Reality.

To a point, anyway. The ideal of Outer Heaven is two noble warriors resolving their conflicts on the battlefield in honorable combat. No outside influence, no politicians behind the scenes, no double-crossing spies, nothing but soldiers being soldiers. The fact that he dreams of a nation where this is possible suggests he's still clinging to some of his old romanticism. The game leading up to the establishment of Outer Heaven is simply showing us why Outer Heaven is just another lie. That's why it's important that Phantom Pain won't simply be portraying Soldiers vs. Soldiers. There's a huge focus on the little people, figuratively and literally. The collateral damage. Think of the horrors Chico and Paz endured in Ground Zeroes. There's the scene with Chico where the thought of someone, anyone, entering his cell frightens him so much he can't even recognize Snake. And the tape where after suffering a brutal rape, Paz asks Chico if he wants to fuck. They're a couple of quiet, sad and pathetic moments that add a lot of life and character and sympathy to something so relentlessly bleak. From the trailers, we also know that MGSV will include child soldiers, kids getting knives pulled on them, handicapped people getting tortured, etc... Big Boss' words and deeds(heh) don't match up at all, and his quest to escape his former Unreality leads him to create another.

It's all very simple, really.

Kojima will ruin The Phantom Pain.

After MGS4 and Peace Walker, I don't give a shit about the story anymore. I'm only hyped for MGS5 because Ground Zeroes proved to me that the new direction in gameplay is incredible and it should have happened ten years ago.

Caffeine

i just want to point out that paz was a 24 year old pretending to be a 16 year old she was born in 1950 and the peace walker incident was in 1974.

For one, despite the shared plot threads canon is arguably the least important aspect of the Metal Gear story line. Considering how plot points are regularly retconned, forgotten or conveniently ignored, it's apparent that the minute details are really there to serve the overall concepts behind every major title rather than acting as some kind of consistent universe unto itself. Each game in the series has its own distinct voice, communicating similar themes and ideas in tonally disparate ways. Metal Gear Solid has this gritty 90s techno-thriller vibe, 2 has its post-modern surrealism, 3 has it's light-hearted camp and Cold War intrigue, 4 has its bullshit and I didn't play Peace Walker so whatever. The most important thing carried over from MGS1 to MGS2 is abstract rather than any concrete plot details. The fact that Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998 by Konami on the Sony Playstation was a critically-acclaimed and best-selling video game and that fans loved the character of Solid Snake is more important to the story of MGS2 than the specific hows and whys of the Shadow Moses Incident. Every MGS game is more or less saying the same things, they're just all speaking different languages. The same is true of Phantom Pain.

The main talking point when discussing MGSV's tonal shift has been the prior proliferation and now noted absence of so-called "Goofy Ass Shit". I'm talking things like ninjas, vampires, ninja vampires, bee dudes, etc.. Most casual observers of the series have chalked these elements up to merely being the scattered residue of Kojima's own eccentricities and perverted sense of humor. And while it's true that Hideo Kojima is like a weird 60-year-old Japanese dude or something, this doesn't even begin to describe the true extent and purpose of these outlandish flights of fancy. In essence, they are strategic and deliberate devices in order to set a tone that is capable of carefully luring and intriguing players into understanding its harsh worldview. While the MGS series as a whole could be said to be about "War", more accurately it's generally more concerned with the deceptions surrounding war. The mental gymnastics of justifying atrocities, the politics of getting other people to go along with things they would never do themselves. In particular, 2 deals with how information control can change how people think and 3 deals with how fiction and idol worship can alter perceptions. With this in mind, we can now note that the MGS series up to this point takes place in a sort of state of "Unreality" where these elements can run free alongside some of the weightier concepts. For example, there aren't any fucking jungles like that in Russia. The fact that Phantom Pain mostly does away with this unreality is extremely important to the story it's telling.

That all said, 3 is probably the most important title to keep in mind when charting the course from Old MGS' unreality to Phantom Pain's unflinching gruesomeness. As I've posted before, MGS3 is a story about perception, more specifically disillusionment. Throughout the game, Naked Snake learns that war isn't the adventure that he'd hoped for, that the reality is nothing like the James Bonds or John Rambos the aesthetics so heavily crib from. The Cold War wasn't fought by Tuxedo'd Welshmen knee deep in pussy and Vietnam wasn't fought by shirtless musclemen. In killing the Boss, Snake takes the final step to acknowledge there is no Joy in battle. He had been lied to and manipulated in order to get to this point, and from then on he becomes determined to live by his own truth. He resolves to step away from the Unreality that told him being a soldier was great and instead to inhabit Reality.

To a point, anyway. The ideal of Outer Heaven is two noble warriors resolving their conflicts on the battlefield in honorable combat. No outside influence, no politicians behind the scenes, no double-crossing spies, nothing but soldiers being soldiers. The fact that he dreams of a nation where this is possible suggests he's still clinging to some of his old romanticism. The game leading up to the establishment of Outer Heaven is simply showing us why Outer Heaven is just another lie. That's why it's important that Phantom Pain won't simply be portraying Soldiers vs. Soldiers. There's a huge focus on the little people, figuratively and literally. The collateral damage. Think of the horrors Chico and Paz endured in Ground Zeroes. There's the scene with Chico where the thought of someone, anyone, entering his cell frightens him so much he can't even recognize Snake. And the tape where after suffering a brutal rape, Paz asks Chico if he wants to fuck. They're a couple of quiet, sad and pathetic moments that add a lot of life and character and sympathy to something so relentlessly bleak. From the trailers, we also know that MGSV will include child soldiers, kids getting knives pulled on them, handicapped people getting tortured, etc... Big Boss' words and deeds(heh) don't match up at all, and his quest to escape his former Unreality leads him to create another.

It's all very simple, really.

I just finished up yard work, I'll write a response to this and others in a little bit. Thanks for having such good write up guys, really like opposing opinions!

Blader

Great post, and I agree wholeheartedly. Some might argue that the wacky stuff is a part of Metal Gear's fabric--and I wouldn't entirely disagree--but as you pointed out, the series is growing up, the fans who have grown up with it are older now, and it's incredibly problematic that the wacky baggage that comes with the franchise will ultimately get in the way of Kojima telling a serious story.

I guess it's a lot like trying to raise a family, hold a real job, and live a grown-up life, but having thousands of pictures of you being a stupid teenager on Facebook, haunting you everywhere you go.

It's not like that "wacky baggage" is being forced on him by others, it's there by his own design. He has wacky storytelling sensibilities.

Sorry for not getting back into the thread earlier, didn't mean to leave it to hang dead. Got side tracked by other stuff.

Alright, so this keeps popping up. The idea that canon isn't important and things are constantly retconned. Now please correct me, but the major game changing retcons didn't happen until MGS4, right? Sure, things like Big Boss's age were retconned, but that is small time shit compared to the massive revisions that MGS4 introduced to characters of it's past games. If canon and story wasn't important, why did Kojima make Peace Walker try to connect to MGS4 with all the AI stuff?

If Kojima truly didn't care about connecting his games, he wouldn't be trying to continue roping all his future games into MGS4. I know that I clearly have a enormous disdain for MGS4, but that's why I made this post. MGS4 canon is fucking ridiculous, and his attempts to tie future games into it are extremely off putting and are a constant reminder of everything I hated about that game. The silly/stupid parts of Peace Walker in the main story were directly tied to the attempts of connecting PW to MGS4.

Metal Gear Solid has this gritty 90s techno-thriller vibe, 2 has its post-modern surrealism, 3 has it's light-hearted camp and Cold War intrigue, 4 has its bullshit and I didn't play Peace Walker so whatever.

Alright, but a major part of my argument is the fact that Peace Walker was a continuation of MGS4's massive missteps. Like I said above, if Kojima simply made Peace Walker a sequel to MGS3 and a continuation of Big Boss's fall and a setup for his eventual turn to evil, while continuing it's usual MGS wackiness I really wouldn't mind and wouldn't be as worried as I am.

The point is, canon influences the story no matter what. All the noticeable retcons came in the wake of MGS4, which have had lasting effects on the games mainland stories. If it truly didn't matter, he wouldn't be attempting to connect the dots.

Well, I don't think The Phantom Pain is going to get rid of the un-realism either. We saw in the original trailer a young Psycho Mantis, we saw the ridiculous hallucinations, we just saw Quiet bounce off people and jumped ten feet in the air, along with her abilities to change her body to a degree. This universe is based off our own, but with supernatural elements, and I'm perfectly fine with that. That's what makes Metal Gear, Metal Gear.

But I agree with your analysis of Big Boss's characterization, and the games of the series as a whole.

About that Chico thing. I think Chico was scared of Snake because he thought Snake knew about his betrayal, and was there to kill him. And I completely agree with what those tapes did to adding life to those characters. I found something in the game too, if you leave Chico and Paz next to each other, Chico will crawl to her and they will cuddle and hold hands. It was a heartbreaking, grounded moment in a horrible situation, but then my mind went to the last time I saw Paz and how ridiculous it was.

I agree with almost everything you say though. But I think my point is that this story, a tale of a mans decent into madness and insanity that leads him to hell will be completely tainted by the story that is set around him, and connecting it to Zero and the Patriots.

That was quite a fine read. You really managed to present your concern in a well written up OP. Too bad only few poster actually cared about the main cause of your concern. To people who have said that OP should judge the game on it's own merit, that exactly the problem for him. MGS isn't like FF where number means nothing and you can actually judge them by their own. There are many recurring characters that deeply involved either on the side or grand narratives of MGS. The OP have write a nice breakdown on how each MGS tackle different themes. The even numbered games dealt with meta-narratives most of the time, while the odd numbered dealt with more grounded themes.

The thing is that The Phantom Pain focused on the story of Big Boss, where he was heavily featured in MGS3, where the issue being tackled is more serious in nature and doesn't have any conflicting story element with the established canon (at that time), which of course should happened since MGS 3 is the prequel to all thing. In MGS3 we could see why Big Boss become cynic and turn into more of an anti-hero that become a perfect reason why he later become a villain. Despite that, we could see the usual wackiness from the usual MGS we should expect, but nothing really went overboard in MGS3 and the tone mostly the same when compared to MGS 1.

The Phantom Pain will dealt further into his fall from grace as OP have put it, but the main problem is that the game being set directly after the most canonical wrecked up game that is The Peace Walker. PW despite being the sequel of MGS3 and prequel to other ones just trying too hard to connect all the dot that originally come from MGS4, another wrecked game in term of canon since it's a continuation to MGS2 that being supposed to Kojima's last MGS game at that time. And Kojima rack it it up to the eleven with giving us more wackiness than any other MGS game combined. Even though one might argue that the side ops isn't canon and we can ignore it, there are some ridiculous things that indeed happened in the game canonically, that is Paz betrayal (in bikini/underwear).

I couldn't add anything to this discussion OP, as I'm pretty much agree with all the thing you've just posted. I actually interested in The Phantom Pain after all of that write up but considering the extreme tonal change, I might just have continue stance on the series, that is too ignore after all of that wrecked (also due to my pity on Kojim since he couldn't divert his creative energy elsewhere beside MGS). I don't suggest you take the same stance, but unless you could forget brainwash your brain from the shit that is Peace Walker, you would just suffer further from massive dissonance by playing The Phantom Pain.

I think he/she summed it up better than I could. So if you need a more east to read idea of my thoughts this is the post.

For me, MGS is great franchise with complex plots. That's why it remains one of my favourite of all time.

I think you have to be a die-hard fan to truly appreciate some of its brilliance.

You can be complex without being stupid. Things got needlessly complex with MGS4, and that wasn't very smart, it was just connecting dots that didn't need to be connected.

MGS2 was complex because of it's meta nature and it's message of information control in a time where information control didn't really exist yet.

Blader

You can be complex without being stupid. Things got needlessly complex with MGS4, and that wasn't very smart, it was just connecting dots that didn't need to be connected.

MGS2 was complex because of it's meta nature and it's message of information control in a time where information control didn't really exist yet.

With the exception of 3, which is a relatively simple story, MGS plots have been needlessly complex since the beginning.

ChipotIe

Banned
Oh come on. These are fun but ultimately incredibly stupid stories. Do we really put that much weight on the overall canon to the point of jeopardizing the storyline of any individual game? I hope not.... because how weird would that be to find out they were taking their stories seriously this entire time.

With the exception of 3, which is a relatively simple story, MGS plots have been needlessly complex since the beginning.

MGS was a simple story. It had twists, but it was quite easy to follow if you paid attention. Like I said, it got needlessly complex by creating a sequel to a game that created questions that were designed to never be answered. That's where the current mentality of MGS stories came from, MGS2 and it's sequel MGS4.

Mortemis

Banned

Yeah, MGS has always been complex and crazy. For me, MGS games have great in the moment stories, and whatever Kojima throws at me in the game I can't help but be intrigued. But then, once I stop playing and think back on what happened, I get reminded how crazy dumb the storyline is.

Oh come on. These are fun but ultimately incredibly stupid stories. Do we really put that much weight on the overall canon to the point of jeopardizing the storyline of any individual game? I hope not.... because how weird would that be to find out they were taking their stories seriously this entire time.

MGS didn't really have a stupid story. Campy != stupid.

MGS2 had an extremely smart story that was created out of an insane, unreal world that was being seen through the eyes of an unreliable narrator.

MGS3 had a very stand alone story that wile extremely campy pulled off one of the most heart wrenching endings in the series.

MGS4's story was literally created out of it's own need to connect other games into it's story. So when people say canon doesn't matter, Kojima literally made a game completely out of it's games canon, or at least canon from a game that really shouldn't have been taken as canon.

Peace Walker was a continuation of having a story continue canon, and because of that it influence and tainted it's own personal story line.

That's why I said "close" ;)

(kinda cross posting)

I think he said it couldn't be Art because he considered it Entertainment. I think it's as close to Art as a AAA videogame is gonna get because it uses the medium in a way few others ever have to express a message, and it took huge risks in doing so. It has a lot to say about a broad range of subjects, from stuff as inane as gaming hype and gamers in general, to the nature of reality in the Information Age. Yet it managed in all that to improve the series' trademark playability a thousand fold. In many ways though, it tries to be unsatisfactory on purpose to make it's point, retreading and subverting ground trodden in MGS, yanking control of Snake away from the player, bitterly taking potshots at gamer mentality (Raiden), and having many of the really exciting events happening off screen (Ninja Olga vs Snake), among other things. It's a magnificent bit of game design (although it arguably relies a little too much on knowledge of MGS). Christ, he even used the RL marketing to make a point about disinformation! That's fucking ballsy when you're dealing with the most anticipated game in the world (at least, it was at that time).

It's an incredible package that, like all good Art, leaves you shell-shocked and makes you think about stuff beyond the actual experience itself. There are few (if any) AAA games like it and I doubt we'll see anything of it's like again. Even if people personally didn't like it (and I can understand that), they have to respect the balls and the mastery of the medium on display.

Yup, I can't see why art and entertainment can't go hand and hand. MGS2 had something to say, and it succeeded at it, even at the cost of most people not getting it for a long ass time.

I might forgive it if it's actually worth it, the only thing that actually might ruin the game for me is quiet. Seriously I can't get over how stupid that costume is, holy shit.

Top Bottom