• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Informer: MGSV: GZ healing spray, length & footprints

I hope Kojima Productions works on this until TPP is out. The thing that stood out the most when it came to graphics and engine in MGS, was always the wonky animations. Its the only thing that Kojimas team couldnt do right in 15 years of the series.
I really hope you are not including the superbly done MGS2?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MGS2 has still the best stairs climbing animations in videogames.
Yeah, that was about the only good animation in the entire game. Still can't believe Kojima had the guts to take that gameplay, exclude the radar and put you into a jungle... What the hell was he thinking?

Jack cw

Yeah, that was about the only good animation in the entire game. Still can't believe Kojima had the guts to take that gameplay, exclude the radar and put you into a jungle... What the hell was he thinking?

I dont know if he was thinking about animations in the first place. Some of them are very good but the normal ones, the transistions between simple movment were to robotic and were still in MGS4. Phantom Pains trailer looks promising with animations though. I guess the focus wasnt on this part of Snake for a very long time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I dont know if he was thinking about animations in the first place. Some of them are very good but the normal ones, the transistions between simple movment were to robotic and were still in MGS4. Phantom Pains trailer looks promising with animations though. I guess the focus wasnt on this part of Snake for a very long time.
Well, we'll see with GZ I guess. Don't think that TPP will be different than GZ in terms of animation.

Jack cw

Well, we'll see with GZ I guess. Don't think that TPP will be different than GZ in terms of animation.

Haha, I know you are sceptical about this for years and you were without a doubt right but I still believe in Kojima. I saw the player animations ins PES with Fox Engine, and they are brilliant, so he has to focus on this. But I dont expect Naughty Dog level of skill. GZ from what I've seen in the videos is a huge step up to previous MGS titles.

Haha, I know you are sceptical about this for years and you were without a doubt right but I still believe in Kojima. I saw the player animations ins PES with Fox Engine, and they are brilliant, so he has to focus on this. But I dont expect Naughty Dog level of skill. GZ from what I've seen in the videos is a huge step up to previous MGS titles.
It's already better than in ND games since feet are actually grounded and not sliding all the time.

rezn0r

I never actually finished MGS4 and due to alcohol and time I barely remember MGS3. I just ordered the Legacy Collection & GZ (PS4) from Amazon - hoping I can play through those two in 2 weeks. Is it possible? Let's do this!!!!!!!

Guard AI that can detect footprints!

hqdefault.jpg

It will take pro gamers a jillion hours to find all the secrets.

735.gif

I don't know why people are acting like this is a Kojima Productions released statement? It's not like claiming to have AI for fish in CoD :D

Kyonashi

That's impressive, but I have a hard time believing that your play time reflects the average. There are a great deal of people who didn't even know the true ending existed.

Well if you look at a site like HL2B, I think the average is certainly well under 80 hours.

The game itself tells you during the credits there is a Chapter 5, and anyone with an internet connection can look up how to access it if they give up on finding it themselves.

rvy

Banned
I know Drake was floating but the overall animations were superb. Something MGS lacks for a decade.

Only MGS 4 has bad gameplay animations. MGS 2 felt great, looked great especially for its time. MGS 3 became a bit obsolete, but still good. 3D camera fixed the jerky direction changes as long as you're changing direction with camera rotation and not movement stick direction.

GZ looks good, the common complain seems to be how BB reacts to landing and that's simply either a bug or design decision. He seems to have landing animations, but they also seem to be skippable if you keep pressing the stick in the direction you wish to go. Everything else looks like the natural progression that you would expect from a sequel to Chaos Theory.

MGS 4 is simply shit in that regard. Completely rigid and unnatural body movements during gameplay.
Disappearing weapons didn't help immersion either, something that GZ alleviates by having the handgun and rifle always visible.

heyf00L

• Snake leaves footprints in the mud, which can be spotted by guards. This is just one of the things that adds to the difficulty, other things include better fields of visions for guards, randomized patrol routes and search lights; there are many things that can give your position away.

Did you accidentally read an old article about MGS 1 not MGS 5? Are they adding breath fog to the game?

Batzi

Banned
Did you accidentally read an old article about MGS 1 not MGS 5? Are they adding breath fog to the game?

Enemy footprints tracking was left out from the rest of the games in the series. Only MGS1 had it. It is only normal to bring it up again since it has been more than 15 years since the last time we had to worry about those footprints.

The preview is not stating it is a new feature in the series. It is just a feature that is making a return.

Well if you look at a site like HL2B, I think the average is certainly well under 80 hours.

The game itself tells you during the credits there is a Chapter 5, and anyone with an internet connection can look up how to access it if they give up on finding it themselves.

Interesting. I must have been thinking more along the lines of the "completionist" play time. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should play it. Peace Walker is quite possibly my favorite Metal Gear game. I just don't know how much time people would want to dedicate to base-building and chasing Zadornov around to unlock the true ending, especially with Ground Zeroes right around the corner (where a backstory option is available).

cackhyena

Enemy footprints tracking was left out from the rest of the games in the series. Only MGS1 had it. It is only normal to bring it up again since it has been more than 15 years since the last time we had to worry about those footprints.

The preview is not stating it is a new feature in the series. It is just a feature that is making a return.
Are you joking?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

The feature never left. All the main console games have had footprint tracking.

Disappearing weapons didn't help immersion either, something that GZ alleviates by having the handgun and rifle always visible.

Multiple rifles. Although the speed in which he takes the sniper rifle off his back and aims it (daytime demo) is rather far fetched. :p

RangerBAD

Spreading that misinformation like butter.

people pay 60 dollars for generic 6 hour shooters like COD

what's bad about paying 30 for 2-3 quality hours of MGS which is a series with actual artistic value?

quality >> quantity. when will people learn?

RangerBAD

people pay 60 dollars for generic 6 hour shooters like COD

Not that I like COD, but, for argument's sake, few of those players bother with the single player campaign. They instead get hundreds of hours out of the multiplayer.

what's bad about paying 30 for 2-3 quality hours of MGS which is a series with actual artistic value?

quality >> quantity. when will people learn?[

It's matter of what an individual consumers puts value on.

Batzi

Banned
Dude... It was, like, one of the coolest things about MGS2. One of the many "little details" that fans praise MGS2 for.

I am not questioning the little details that Kojima include in the games. All I am saying is that footprints to me was more significant in MGS1 than any of the other games in the series. If footprints are going to make our lives a living hell in GZ then be it, I will be looking forward to that challenge.

On a side note, remember tomorrow is the embargo lift. Prepare to be spoiled.

cackhyena

Do we know what time? I can't seem to stop myself from absorbing anything about this. It's getting stupid how many times I've watched the night and day game play now.

Endo Punk

I'm getting a lot of negative feels from the direction Kojima is taking with Metal Gear and especially GZ. I could see critics destroying the game making it the lowest scoring Metal Gear, thus making Kojima go into hiding to work harder on Phantom Pain. The pressure will get to him and the game will get many delays and probably miss this gen. It could be TLG/Versus of this gen.

I love Metal Gear but those feels man, they are not positive.

Spaghetti

I'm getting a lot of negative feels from the direction Kojima is taking with Metal Gear and especially GZ. I could see critics destroying the game making it the lowest scoring Metal Gear, thus making Kojima go into hiding to work harder on Phantom Pain. The pressure will get to him and the game will get many delays and probably miss this gen. It could be TLG/Versus of this gen.

i thought this would happen before the bootcamp in japan, but pretty much all impressions out of the event are positive.

i don't see ground zeroes losing points outside of content/length issues. i'm even optimistic about reflex mode, which sounded fucking awful from the september previews.

jsnepo

I am not questioning the little details that Kojima include in the games. All I am saying is that footprints to me was more significant in MGS1 than any of the other games in the series. If footprints are going to make our lives a living hell in GZ then be it, I will be looking forward to that challenge.

Footprints tracking in MGS1 is as significant as the footprints tracking in MGS2.

cackhyena

Iol

co1onel

i thought this would happen before the bootcamp in japan, but pretty much all impressions out of the event are positive.

i don't see ground zeroes losing points outside of content/length issues. i'm even optimistic about reflex mode, which sounded fucking awful from the september previews.

From my point of view, most gaming critics aren't diehard MGS fans to begin with, and will actually praise things like reflex mode, regenerating health, and simpler controls.

Top Bottom