• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear jumped the shark after MGS 4

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Could someone please post that mgs4 meme with big boss talking to solid explaining the story with kojima asking if you like at the end. I need to save that it's comedy gold.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What zombie shit? If you're talking about the Skulls, those are different parasites.

The parasites that Skull Face wanted to use to kill English were the ones you see in The Devil's House.
This zombie shit:
9bvurMm.gif
That scene could literally be inserted into any zombie game.

At this point I consider everything after 4 a non-canon sidestory. Warts and all, 1-4 tell a complete arc with no significant loose ends. Unexplored territory, sure, but I don't need to know every single thing that happens in a fictional timeline. Kojima felt like he needed to keep topping himself and ended up shitting all over his own continuity with The Big Boss Adventures. It probably wouldn't have been that way if he'd been allowed to walk away from Metal Gear like he wanted for so long.

EDIT: Also, while I find MGS4 to be the weakest of the core series by a wide margin, it still has some of the best moments in the franchise and I wouldn't trade those for anything.

Ridley327

Can someone explain to me why she's named Pacifica Ocean?

Like, at least Hot Coldman was just some obvious bad wordplay.

Because Kojima thought it sounded like a good name for an early 20s double agent pretending to be a teenager in order to steal a giant robot that she secretly built a cockpit into that requires its pilot to use a scuba tank and be in their bathing suit.

I guess this is one of the top first posts of the year, and partly explains why I love the series so much.

Since, and actually even before MGS1, Metal Gear was just crazy interesting to me. Gameplay was great, story was great, the ideas and concepts they used were great. I have to agree with those who think that MG was more likely the shark itself, possibly with the exception of the first. Years ago I would've made an argument that at overall, 2 and 4, it jumped the shark, and that's probably why those two were among my top favorites in the series, but I don't think there's one that I didn't like; I even love going back to Portable Ops and Snake's Revenge on occasion.

I understand it's a matter of taste for which ones are supposed to be the highlight of the series. I'm definitely at odds with a majority of GAF for not liking 3 as much as most fans (still fun and interesting, but I have a few issues with it), but as I've said before in threads like this, one thing I love about the series is how it's all narratively connected, but each title goes after it's own style, no matter who made it (Kojima-directed or not), or what gameplay/story theme it went after. Basically, for all the pros and cons, I'm glad the series never got stale for me.

This zombie shit:

That scene could literally be inserted into any zombie game.

A mutation of the vocal parasites caused by sabotage to the platforms X-ray scanners. That's not the language parasites at work. Your base gets infected with one of the language parasites earlier in the game, and you don't see anything like that happen.

I'll admit, that scene specifically is pretty weird. However, The rest of that episode really doesn't play out like a zombie episode.

I still don't get some of the hate for MGS4. That shit was some dramatic, beautiful insanity mixed in with a stunning score and some of the most memorable moments to feature in a game that has a long ass history. I mean the fact that people STILL talk about it shows it's impact, where it's in a positive or negative light.

4 is damn near perfect, but Kojima has always been inconsistent. MGS2 was a real let down after the brilliant MGS but 3 and 4 really engraved the series as an all time great. MGS5 once again left the series on a sour note.

televator

Metal Gear jumped the shark on 4.

MGS4 should have continued the animal + verb subtititle from Snake Eater and been called MGS4: Shark Jumper.

Kyari

Metal Gear jumped the shark after an old russian dressed as a sheriff walked into a room covered in wired bombs and had his hand cut off by an invisible cyborg ninja.

So approximately 20 minutes into MGS.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
A mutation of the vocal parasites caused by sabotage to the platforms X-ray scanners. That's not the language parasites at work. Your base gets infected with one of the language parasites earlier in the game, and you don't see anything like that happen.

I'll admit, that scene specifically is pretty weird. However, The rest of that episode really doesn't play out like a zombie episode.
Besides the slow walking through the bloody hallways with a bunch of infected people, it's very influenced by zombie media that they should've just cut out the middle man and have bites be the cause for the infection spreading.

Roni

Gold Member
Kojima already knew there'd be another two games, at least, while he was making MGS4. And MG jumped the shark in MG2.

RedSwirl

It didn't jump the shark. After 4, MGS just became something different that some fans might not have liked. Personally I think Peace Walker and MGSV have the best core gameplay systems in the whole series. Portable Ops was a fun prototype.

MGS4 had the beginnings of the new core control system but the level design never made good use of it. Messing around with MGS4's weapons and the general combat systems on subsequent playthroughs is actually really fun.

MGS3 however still had the best scenarios, pacing, and possibly even writing. It was just stuck with the old control scheme which didn't really fit it. My ideal MGS would be just MGS3 updated with controls more resembling MGS4 or 5.

The arm thing is still the most baffling part of Metal Gear, and I'm not even talking about the basic concept of being possessed by a transplanted arm. It's silly and sounds stupid to say "ghost arm" and all, but it's the sort of horror movie trope that Kojima would see one day and scribble down in a notebook of ideas.

It's how he went to the trouble of justifying it first by having Ocelot be the secret son of a spirit medium, and then in 4 decided to reveal that after 2 Ocelot had the arm replaced (so the actual real spirit of Liquid Snake was defeated off screen by a surgeon's scalpel) with a mechanical one and then he used nanomachines and therapy to hypnotize himself into acting like he was possessed by Liquid, as part of a convoluted plan to make a computer think there was still a ghost involved.

Like, I don't understand the mindset behind the need for that last part. I've wondered about it for years. Why couldn't it still be a ghost after you explained why Ocelot would be in tune with spirits? Why couldn't it be a reveal at the end of 4 that master triple crosser Ocelot was just allowing Liquid's ghost to take over and was using him too as part of a crazy ghost plan? Was Kojima still hurt by how much people made fun of the arm thing in 2, so with his weird thing about "it's not supernatural, it's science!" in 4 (barring... everything with Mantis and the Sorrow's ghosts) he decided to go "WELL ACTUALLY it's nanomachines and hypnosis," but he still didn't want to back down completely so "WELL ACTUALLY, he really was possessed by the arm in MGS2 so technically I'm not retconning anything"

So he really was possessed? When did Kojima state this? Did I miss this in game. I thought it was all a rouse.

And Jumping the shark is the wrong term to use here

"Jumping the shark" is a pejorative idiom used to describe a moment of television in which there is a gimmick or unlikely occurrence that is seen as a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.

If the series has been crazy from the start then how can there be a moment where it jumps the shark?

MGS1: Solid Snake, the clone of a super soldier believes that the genes passed down to him makes him destined to live a life of war and bloodshed. By the end of the game he becomes determined to not let his genes dictate his the direction of his life.

MGS2: Raiden, the adopted child of a (clone of a) super soldier believes that the memes (that is the ideas and beliefs) passed down to him make him destined for a life of war and bloodshed. By the end of the game he becomes determined not to let his memes dictate the direction of his life.

MGS4: Solid Snake is a bitter old man that believes he's an old killer only good to do some wet work.
Raiden is a Cyberninja who ran away from his family because he was afraid of the blood hungry killer that rested inside of him.

🙄

saturnine

Exactly what I thought. While nowhere near the genius of the original trilogy, PW and V had better stories than 4. 4 was fanservice incarnate.

I disagree entirely with this notion, if we're going by the definition of fanservice as "bringing back stuff people liked for flimsy reason".

MGS4 brought back stuff all right, but it did so in the most destructive and spiteful way possible. I want to believe this was done entirely on purpose as a "fuck you" to the idea of sequels, not unlike MGS2 but on a much meaner scope.

Loved it.

nillah

Banned
I agree. With peace walker you just shot yourself in the foot by limiting it to a portable system, and putting a useless "transferring" feature on a pedestal above the series main priorities, stealth action, dramatic theme etc.m
Fuck peace walker

Neiteio

As someone currently playing through the entire series back to back, I think the post-MGS4 stories (PW, GZ, TPP) add a lot of meaningful content, thematically speaking. I also think the entire series is much more coherent than people are saying.

The issue I take with the MGS series is how the story is told in certain installments — with MGS4 being the narrative nadir (read: absolute worst) of the series. The cutscenes are bloated to the point of absurdity, full of mind-numbingly repetitive information. They completely kill the pacing, making the whole experience feel uneven and unwieldy. I have no idea what Kojima was thinking with making Drebin's introduction so long; as with many scenes in MGS4, it could've (and should've) been relegated to optional codec calls.

And while I normally detest the word "cringe" on GAF (because the people who use it come off as try-hards and sourpusses), I have to say MGS4 was full of countless cringeworthy moments that were borderline painful to watch. Please, Kojima, I don't see need to see a sick soldier repeatedly shit his pants, or hear Otacon fake-cry over a laptop. I don't need to repeatedly see EVA's 80-year-old tits. I also don't need 10-20 minutes of Frogs getting shot over and over by Meryl and Johnny on Arsenal Gear, or mercs getting shot over and over on the river in Eastern Europe. You only need one or two minutes to establish the concept that people are being shot.

At any rate... MGS4 does have one or two well-earned emotional moments, with BB's dying words "Maybe the world would be better off without snakes... This is good, isn't it," being one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series. But bear in mind it's preceded by a PowerPoint presentation, etc.

MGS4 seriously needed an editor.

Besides the slow walking through the bloody hallways with a bunch of infected people, it's very influenced by zombie media that they should've just cut out the middle man and have bites be the cause for the infection spreading.

Sure, but I like the balance they have. The fact that all the soldiers in that sequence are still human is what gives it weight. If you make them all have cravings to bite each other, then it makes them more monstrous than human.

Anyway, this entire thing was just me pointing out that Skull Face's world destroying plan had nothing to do with a zombie apocalypse. The "zombie" stuff was all a result of Huey being a shitheel.

Neiteio;217565504 And while I normally detest the word "cringe" on GAF (because the people who use it come off as try-hards and sourpusses) said:
I also don't need 10-20 minutes of Frogs getting shot over and over by Meryl and Johnny on Arsenal Gear,[/B] or mercs getting shot over and over on the river in Eastern Europe. You only need one or two minutes to establish the concept that people are being shot.
The worst moment in this entire series definitely has to be that Meryl and Johnny scene with the frogs.

Kojima literally put a Mr. and Mrs. Smith scene at the end. Not only was he referencing a terrible movie, the entire scene makes absolutely no sense. Both characters are suddenly super humans and can take bullets like no tomorrow. This is also after Kojima established Johnny to be a completely worthless soldier at every turn.
Fuck MGS4, it's the bad kind of stupid.

zma1013

MGS4 started off promising, but then turned into bad internet fan fiction by the end. There is a wedding between a main character and a joke character we saw for like a second in the previous games. A wedding. In my crazy tactical espionage action game featuring telepaths, vampires, cyborg ninjas, mechs, and nuclear cold war. I couldn't do enough face palms or eye rolls to fully express my thoughts towards what I was seeing.

There are other things in that game too but the wedding, well, it takes the... erm... wedding cake.

Boney

Banned
The arm thing is still the most baffling part of Metal Gear, and I'm not even talking about the basic concept of being possessed by a transplanted arm. It's silly and sounds stupid to say "ghost arm" and all, but it's the sort of horror movie trope that Kojima would see one day and scribble down in a notebook of ideas.

It's how he went to the trouble of justifying it first by having Ocelot be the secret son of a spirit medium, and then in 4 decided to reveal that after 2 Ocelot had the arm replaced (so the actual real spirit of Liquid Snake was defeated off screen by a surgeon's scalpel) with a mechanical one and then he used nanomachines and therapy to hypnotize himself into acting like he was possessed by Liquid, as part of a convoluted plan to make a computer think there was still a ghost involved.

Like, I don't understand the mindset behind the need for that last part. I've wondered about it for years. Why couldn't it still be a ghost after you explained why Ocelot would be in tune with spirits? Why couldn't it be a reveal at the end of 4 that master triple crosser Ocelot was just allowing Liquid's ghost to take over and was using him too as part of a crazy ghost plan? Was Kojima still hurt by how much people made fun of the arm thing in 2, so with his weird thing about "it's not supernatural, it's science!" in 4 (barring... everything with Mantis and the Sorrow's ghosts) he decided to go "WELL ACTUALLY it's nanomachines and hypnosis," but he still didn't want to back down completely so "WELL ACTUALLY, he really was possessed by the arm in MGS2 so technically I'm not retconning anything"
Kojima: "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds"

The owl puzzle was worse than that man ;)

Oh fuck it really is, I forgot

23-Metal_Gear_2_1278.png

For anyone who didn't play MG2:SS, you hatch a fully-grown genetically modified owl that hoots during the day.

You bring it with you to a POW encampment with guards and a laser gate, and the hooting tricks the guards into thinking it's night, so they shut off the laser gate and leave the gate unattended and go to sleep

Tricks them into thinking it's night during the day

Leave camp unguarded from intruders

Think it's a good idea to leave the camp unguarded during the night in the first place

Videogames

Kojima

Neiteio

Oh fuck it really is, I forgot

For anyone who didn't play MG2:SS, you hatch a fully-grown genetically modified owl that hoots during the day.

You bring it with you to a POW encampment with guards and a laser gate, and the hooting tricks the guards into thinking it's night, so they shut off the laser gate and leave the gate unattended and go to sleep

Tricks them into thinking it's night during the day

Leave camp unguarded from intruders

Think it's a good idea to leave the camp unguarded during the night in the first place

Videogames

Kojima
Hahaha, this is fucking amazing

Guard 1: "Well time to go to bed"

Guard 2: "But it's still daytime"

Guard 1: "No it's not jackass, I hear an owl hooting"

Guard 2: "But what about the giant ball of fire in the sky"

Guard 1: "Owl trumps sun, my friend"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hahaha, this is fucking amazing

Guard 1: "Well time to go to bed"

Guard 2: "But it's still daytime"

Guard 1: "No it's not jackass, I hear an owl hooting"

Guard 2: "But what about the giant ball of fire in the sky"

Guard 1: "Owl trumps sun, my friend"

I feel asleep.

Neiteio

Just play 1 and 3 and mentally suppress the rest.
Ah yes, MGS3, where one man has lightning powers for reasons, another spits out bees, and yet another is a century-old sniper capable of photosynthesis and speaking to nature.

(Understand I love all of these things, but one's threshold for "jumping the shark" varies and can be readily applied to pretty much any title)

Ah yes, MGS3, where one man has lightning powers for reasons, another spits out bees, and yet another is a century-old sniper capable of photosynthesis and speaking to nature.

(Understand I love all of these things, but one's threshold for "jumping the shark" varies and can be readily applied to pretty much any title)

And MG2 also had a guy whos superpower was running away

And the only way for Snake to get an elderly man who's attacking him by latching onto his back is to fire and direct remote-controlled Nikita missiles into him

He's lucky he'd eventually learn CQC and save on all the wasted ballistics

Metal Gear 2 is secretly the stupidest game in the series
also secretly the best

I think those things are more or less in line with stuff that happened with bosses in MGS1. The jumping the shark moment for me are the character assassinations and ridiculous plots. MGS1 and 3 are way more grounded than 2, 4, and 5.

Yeah MGS3 fans always excuse this game for some reason, when it's just as crazy or crazier than the others in the supernatural powers department.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Exactly!

I love when people side-step these very points when complaining about things as trivial as a cartwheel in The Twin Snakes.
:)

Oh don't get me wrong I don't look kindly upon Twin Snakes. It has differences in game design, music, and voice acting that make it a different experience than MGS1. If you like those changes then fair enough but a number of people don't. It's not just the cutscenes that people don't like.

Robot Pants

I really really wish I could go back in time and somehow affect MGS4 being made. Could have been great. V COULD have been the best game ever holy shit so much potential.
Both of those I wish got do-overs

Top Bottom