• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Are you thinking of Ocelot? He was hard mainly because he would be off-screen a lot of the time during the fight, so I couldn't really see where he was or what he was doing.

I usually fight him with a combination of shooting and C4. If you plant it on a wall you can force him to run past it when you chase him while he's reloading, and when you get the timing right it's the fastest way to beat him. I failed miserably in my most recent run through MGS1, though. My skills have atrophied so far that I accidentally blew up Kenneth Baker, and then shortly afterwards I got run over twice and blew myself up with my own grenade during the tank fight :p

Hey, I just realized after fourteen years that the Armstech President has the same name as the guy who played R2D2, Kenny Baker.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah I know, but if you keep X+Square held you can just keep following him around!

Yeah, I know. Still trying to cope with the clunky controls though. More often than not Snake will throw guards instead of choking them, it seems, and when playing with the analogue sticks he'll cling to every wall if I get close to it (and controlling the Nikita missiles with the sticks was a nightmare, so I had to switch to using the D-pad for the electric floor part). The game is great, but the controls are arguably what has aged the worst in the game, especially when coming straight off MGS4.

I usually fight him with a combination of shooting and C4. If you plant it on a wall you can force him to run past it when you chase him while he's reloading, and when you get the timing right it's the fastest way to beat him. I failed miserably in my most recent run through MGS1, though. My skills have atrophied so far that I accidentally blew up Kenneth Baker, and then shortly afterwards I got run over twice and blew myself up with my own grenade during the tank fight :p

Hey, I just realized after fourteen years that the Armstech President has the same name as the guy who played R2D2, Kenny Baker.

I tried using C4, but somehow I just ended up blowing myself up instead :lol As for the tank fight, I too got run over and blew myself up a couple of times before I got the hang of it.

If you hold Triangle after firing a Nikita missile, you can control it in 1st person view.

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind in case I have to use them again later on in the game.

Yeah, I know. Still trying to cope with the clunky controls though. More often than not Snake will throw guards instead of choking them, it seems, and when playing with the analogue sticks he'll cling to every wall if I get close to it (and controlling the Nikita missiles with the sticks was a nightmare, so I had to switch to using the D-pad for the electric floor part). The game is great, but the controls are arguably what has aged the worst in the game, especially when coming straight off MGS4.

If you hold Triangle after firing a Nikita missile, you can control it in 1st person view.

I think I'm going to do a whole run through of the series starting tomorrow in celebration of the 25th anniversary. I'll do MGS1, 2, and 3 on Vita, and then play 4.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Are you thinking of Ocelot? He was hard mainly because he would be off-screen a lot of the time during the fight, so I couldn't really see where he was or what he was doing.

Holding down square with the pistol locks onto enemies, even if they're slightly off-screen.

For the Ocelot battle, I usually just get close enough for lock-on to kick in, then shoot him through the series of C4 wires in the middle of the map.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Holding down square with the pistol locks onto enemies, even if they're slightly off-screen.

For the Ocelot battle, I usually just get close enough for lock-on to kick in, then shoot him through the series of C4 wires in the middle of the map.

Good to know :3 Just got through the communications tower (I think that's it, at least). Fuck running up those stairs, gah. And that 'have you ever loved someone?' cut scene with Snake and Otacon was the most hilariously cheesy/awkward thing so far in the game. I almost expected Otacon to admit he was in love with Snake.

I just realized I was at 1 hour 40 minutes and I'm only at the bike scene... =S... should I start over? First act took me 40 mins alone -__-

iLLmAtlc

I say you need to get past your aversion for messing with your clock.

2nd part: before PMCs start pouring out of the alley you need a smoke grenade to that spot so it's smoking and stops them as they come out. then just keep spamming smoke grenades in this area.

slow motion jump: best way is to get your solar gun out with auto-aim and take out some guys. you have to be careful though because when i did this my solar gun didnt charge for the 3rd part and you need close to full for this segment (i had about 3/4, would have liked more). You should still be able to take out several before you land with just a few shots (uncharged).

Once you land time to spam smoke grenades or you can also use solar gun to pick them off. But again be careful not to burn too much ammo.

3rd part just chill for the opening portion because you won't get hurt. eventually you will come to a single mounted turret on a jeep on the right hand side, you need a charged solar gun shot to take him out. charge early and fire at him early to avoid damage.

next is the jeep who comes up behind you. start charging your solar gun when the coast is clear in the alley and get ready for that jeep to come up behind you. turn on auto-aim and when it is behind you watch for the auto-aim to lock up on him and fire immediately. if you done correctly you will take him out and avoid damage 10 times out of 10.

Next I think is the intersection with the two jeeps for this part you need to throw a smoke grenade to the centre part but you need to throw it a bit earlier than you think so it takes effect before they arrive or it'll be too late. let the grenade bounce to the spot that you need.

the last part there is 1 more mounted jeep, auto-aim + charged solar gun shot will take care of him. the rest are the frogs and I'd fire uncharged solar gun shots with or without auto-aim to get you through the rest of it.

good luck

i'm gonna try it with the resistance guy. wish me luck!

Here is a trick. When you follow him, and he runs into the next area, DO NOT FOLLOW HIM, save, exit, and load the game. You'll load in the section you just did, but he'll be gone... run to the end. For some reason it'll keep the initial time you started at. My total time for following him was about 5 mins. Do that for each section.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Also during the bike chase, you can still take advantage of exploding barrels. Shooting them near groups of enemies won't count as kills.

It helps a ton since barrels are littered throughout a bunch of intersections. It's a quick and easy way to clear a path sometimes.

Also during the bike chase, you can still take advantage of exploding barrels. Shooting them near groups of enemies won't count as kills.

It helps a ton since barrels are littered throughout a bunch of intersections. It's a quick and easy way to clear a path sometimes.

...didn't know that. Will try again tomorrow (I should have full health as well).

SmithnCo

Up to act 3 on my BBE run, I look forward to getting pissed at the bike chase later.

The first two acts weren't too bad, just taking it one area at a time. Having a full stock of the differently colored smoke grenades helps for distraction.

Up to act 3 on my BBE run, I look forward to getting pissed at the bike chase later.

The first two acts weren't too bad, just taking it one area at a time. Having a full stock of the differently colored smoke grenades helps for distraction.
I didn't know that until I read a guide earlier... too bad I can't buy them at this point, then again, I CAN load a previous game, just before the bike scene. Anyway, why do some colors work better than others in certain situations?

EDIT: Apparently you can't buy smoke nades on BBE? =[

SmithnCo

I didn't know that until I read a guide earlier... too bad I can't buy them at this point, then again, I CAN load a previous game, just before the bike scene. Anyway, why do some colors work better than others in certain situations?

EDIT: Apparently you can't buy smoke nades on BBE? =[

Yeah, you can't buy any non-lethal ammo on BBE. I carried them over from other playthroughs. They are just useful for spamming in case you run out of regular grenades.

They do have effects like making guys cry/rage/etc, but it doesn't really come into play on BBE that much, I just use them to distract guys so I can shoot/get by them.

HOW. DEAR GOD. WHY AM I HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE!? NEVER IN THIS GAME HAVE I EVER HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE D=.

Spam Smoke Grenades, if you haven't already -- and if you have, spam 'em some more!

That's why the Blue Smoke is the best, the enemies either drop their weapons immediately or they pay no attention to Snake because they're busy crying.

Are you using auto-aim during that part? Helps immensely there. That and a little luck.
Yes and no, some parts are better off without it.

Spam Smoke Grenades, if you haven't already -- and if you have, spam 'em some more!

That's why the Blue Smoke is the best, the enemies either drop their weapons immediately or they pay no attention to Snake because they're busy crying.

I was stupid and didn't buy any before hand... and at 1:43 at the bike section.. I really dont want to start over BBE. =/

iLLmAtlc

What part are you in exactly? 2nd or 3rd?

So you have no stun grenades either?

If you have no stuns either I'd recommend just using the solar in the second part with auto-aim. I'd also recommend saving immediately after you pass this part so just in case if you burned through the solar enough that the 3rd part becomes impossible you can still have a save to fall back on.

The 3rd part is probably doable with maybe about half of the solar charged if you also have the Double-Barrel with V-Ring (for the jeep guys) and you save the solar exclusively for frogs.

I was stupid and didn't buy any before hand... and at 1:43 at the bike section.. I really dont want to start over BBE. =/

Regular Smokes should be fine, you just have to throw them in the right place, which will take a few runs to get down.

I tried the Stun Grenade strategy and failed 10+ times; switched to Smoke and made it in one run, only getting shot 2 or 3 times.

I tried the Stun Grenade strategy and failed 10+ times; switched to Smoke and made it in one run, only getting shot 2 or 3 times.
I believe an enemy has to see the flash of a stun grenade to be affected by it, so if you land one behind them (which you frequently will in the bike chase) they can just shrug it off. Throwing stun grenades from the bike really only blinds you and leaves most of the FROGs free to murder you. With smoke grenades it seems like an enemy only has to be caught in the cloud to start coughing and trying to wave the smoke away, so they're much easier to use in the bike chase.

SmithnCo

Got BBE. Yay. The final fight wasn't too bad, you have to catch him with a heavy punch then continue to hit him as he comes up. Second part is definitely the hardest but the third is laughable.

jb1tLbSEG9aGFO.JPG

Now I just have to do two more easy playthroughs while getting some ipod songs I missed.

Endo Punk

All the voice acting is good dammit.

Anyway I just want to know if you kill so many in one area and die does your kill count reset and does it stack if you continue killing? Need to get to 500 for Chicken.

david hayter's voice is just shit.

Yeah, Snake's voice in this game really got on my nerves. I get he is supposed to be all raw and grisly but it just became too much. Especially the last third of the game where Snake spends most of the time coughing, it sounded so bad (and not bad in the way it was supposed to be).

rataplein

well i'm finishing the chicken run. went extremeley smooth. just 6 runs to go? (including bbe). i don't exactly know WHY i i'm doing this. of course i'm enjoying it... but still...

i didn't want mgs4. i didn't want mgs3, hell i didn't want mgs2 after listening to kojima saying "enough is enough", game after game.

and still, after this... i want more metal gear =/

15 days ago i wouldn't care if mgs5 never sees the daylight. now i want it...

What part are you in exactly? 2nd or 3rd?

So you have no stun grenades either?

If you have no stuns either I'd recommend just using the solar in the second part with auto-aim. I'd also recommend saving immediately after you pass this part so just in case if you burned through the solar enough that the 3rd part becomes impossible you can still have a save to fall back on.

The 3rd part is probably doable with maybe about half of the solar charged if you also have the Double-Barrel with V-Ring (for the jeep guys) and you save the solar exclusively for frogs.

I'm on the...3rd? Having trouble at the part where all the frogs run out.

Astra

I completed my run through the HD collection, and now I am ready to play MGS4 again.
Can't believe I have to do another BBE run! This will be great fun. Argh, that bike sequence!

SmithnCo

I'm on the...3rd? Having trouble at the part where all the frogs run out.

I did lock-on for most of it. You should try to smoke grenade the two tanks that appear in the one alley and lock-on and solar as many frogs as possible in the last part. After you get to the stairs spam stun grenades like crazy.

Arklite

He was awesome in mgs1 psx version. what the hell happaned?

Hayter did a great job in MGS1, but he's instantly recognizable from MGS2-onward due to the talking style. It fits, and considering Snake borrows heavily from Snake (Escape from New York) the overly gritty/excessive tone is spot on IMO. Snake's Japanese actor seems to take a more normal approach, though.

Top Bottom