• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

The third section of the bike chase is pure unadulterated bullshit. Fuck you, Kojima.

Edit: Fuck it, I'm done with this. BBE run canceled.

Take some time to calm down from it and try it again. Have you tried setting the clock forward a week to give you more health? Are you switching between auto-aim and manual aim? Are you using the Twin Barrel, Smoke Grenades, Solar Gun and pistol?

This generation is filled with nothing but whiners pointing out every little flaw. The good outweighs the bad with this game a million to one.. a classic.

yup,next will be worse,im on the gaming hobby since the seventies ( yeah im old as fuck) and today gamers are a bunch of jaded and cynical whiners

What about those Troppers with Jetpacks(?) on their backs?
You can tranq them.
Take some time to calm down from it and try it again. Have you tried setting the clock forward a week to give you more health? Are you switching between auto-aim and manual aim? Are you using the Twin Barrel, Smoke Grenades, Solar Gun and pistol?
I'm not familiar with the clock trick. I'm using the right weapons, just not effectively enough. Haven't been using auto-aim, so I guess I'll try that.

BBE Advent Palace is frustrating the hell out of me. That fat fuck Jonathan keeps getting himself killed.

Plan SG mines on the soldiers' entry points, and drum the rest of them. Also, I think it's the third time when you fight them (when you just come out of the stairs, before Akiba is knocked). Lay on your back and shoot the ones above you. Helps you regenerate health as well

I'm not familiar with the clock trick. I'm using the right weapons, just not effectively enough. Haven't been using auto-aim, so I guess I'll try that.

Ahh, therein lies the problem. Auto-aim is honestly a god-send for this section. It really is the most useful tool you have at your disposal when implemeneted properly. I know it's three hours after you posted so I hope you've gotten past it. Have you considered viewing a walkthrough of the third area? It won't help you significantly, I know, but it may supply you with some tactics, ideas and areas where you could improve in your run.

The bike chase though is definitely the msot frustrating area in the game. If you get past that it's "smooth sailing from here".

Ein Bear

Plan SG mines on the soldiers' entry points, and drum the rest of them. Also, I think it's the third time when you fight them (when you just come out of the stairs, before Akiba is knocked). Lay on your back and shoot the ones above you. Helps you regenerate health as well

Thanks man, the SG mines worked great!

Just finished Act 2, glad to have got most of the trickier sneaking stuff out of the way, should hopefully be downhill from here (besides the bike chase). Glad I saved this for my final run, I would not have felt like doing another 6 playthoughs after this.

SamuraiX-

Watching the ending to Act 3 again... Man, I've never felt so bad for Solidus. They couldn't just let the guy die fighting for what he believed in. Instead he's forcefully perpetuated as a vegetable and ultimately thrown into a fire and incinerated while he was still "alive".

Shit's fucked up, man.

Watching the ending to Act 3 again... Man, I've never felt so bad for Solidus. They couldn't just let the guy die fighting for what he believed in. Instead he's forcefully perpetuated as a vegetable and ultimately thrown into a fire and incinerated while he was still "alive".

The music there is incredible.

Guys, CQC is just the best. I somehow never got a handle on it when I was playing MGS3, nor my first few playthroughs of MGS4, but when I was doing all the grinding for the Chicken Emblem playthrough it really clicked with me. I've been playing a bit of MGS3 and using CQC more than anything else because I find it so hard to go back to left-thumb aiming and pressure sensitive buttons.

It's just such a cool mechanic in the game. The thing I love about MGS4's controls is that all of the more complicated manoeuvres you can have Snake do branch out from a really simple third-person shooter setup. You can lie down, roll onto your back and throw a grenade over your head if you want to, but you can also just shoot dudes like any other game. CQC is all done with one button, and different moves just use different timing, or tapping or holding. It's such an elegant design, so far from something like Assassin's Creed where the controls are so needlessly complicated that they need a display of what all your controller buttons do on screen at all times.

It does bug me a little that Cutscene Snake has so many more moves than Gameplay Snake, though. They don't let you CQC when you're holding an assault rifle, but in Act 3 Snake does that sweet move where he locks the guy's arm up behind his back and lays the rifle over his shoulder, which could easily just replace the normal grab animation in gameplay. I also wish the enemies would be more agreeable when it came to CQC; as it stands they either back away out of range or come in close and do the unblockable knife slash that knocks you down and ruins all your fun. I found out, by complete accident, that if you hit the Triangle button at just the right time Snake will roll back up to his feet, but I wish they'd give you a timing-based counter against those moves like you could do to The Boss at the end of MGS3.

I don't want Metal Gear turning into Batman's freeflow combat or anything, but there are ways to expand the system while keeping it grounded and technical. Peace Walker's greatest innovation was letting you throw an enemy any direction you wanted to knock other dudes off their feet, but then they addressed the group combat stuff by just having you press R as the prompt came up and that was no fun. Ideally I'd love to see them expand the system enough that we could have a full CQC bossfight without needing a whole new control scheme like the end of MGS4.

Shit's fucked up, man.

Plus he had a chicken named after him.

Guys, CQC is just the best. I somehow never got a handle on it when I was playing MGS3, nor my first few playthroughs of MGS4, but when I was doing all the grinding for the Chicken Emblem playthrough it really clicked with me. I've been playing a bit of MGS3 and using CQC more than anything else because I find it so hard to go back to left-thumb aiming and pressure sensitive buttons.

It's just such a cool mechanic in the game. The thing I love about MGS4's controls is that all of the more complicated manoeuvres you can have Snake do branch out from a really simple third-person shooter setup. You can lie down, roll onto your back and throw a grenade over your head if you want to, but you can also just shoot dudes like any other game. CQC is all done with one button, and different moves just use different timing, or tapping or holding. It's such an elegant design, so far from something like Assassin's Creed where the controls are so needlessly complicated that they need a display of what all your controller buttons do on screen at all times.

It does bug me a little that Cutscene Snake has so many more moves than Gameplay Snake, though. They don't let you CQC when you're holding an assault rifle, but in Act 3 Snake does that sweet move where he locks the guy's arm up behind his back and lays the rifle over his shoulder, which could easily just replace the normal grab animation in gameplay. I also wish the enemies would be more agreeable when it came to CQC; as it stands they either back away out of range or come in close and do the unblockable knife slash that knocks you down and ruins all your fun. I found out, by complete accident, that if you hit the Triangle button at just the right time Snake will roll back up to his feet, but I wish they'd give you a timing-based counter against those moves like you could do to The Boss at the end of MGS3.

I don't want Metal Gear turning into Batman's freeflow combat or anything, but there are ways to expand the system while keeping it grounded and technical. Peace Walker's greatest innovation was letting you throw an enemy any direction you wanted to knock other dudes off their feet, but then they addressed the group combat stuff by just having you press R as the prompt came up and that was no fun. Ideally I'd love to see them expand the system enough that we could have a full CQC bossfight without needing a whole new control scheme like the end of MGS4.
I feel like the CQC system is still too shallow. I'm hoping it's expanded in Ground Zeroes.

Why is this Thread using the recently hyped quote of big boss from MGS:GZ?

That line is Metal Gear Solid's version of "I have a bad feeling about this". As far as I can remember it's been in MGS2, 3, 4 and now GZ. It's especially poignant in MGS4, since Snake says it at the end of the game's first install :p

I survived the bike chase. I'm so happy. ;_; Watch, I probably killed a FROG or something. :|

Edit: Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, I'm in the clear!

Varth

Am I the only one who found auto aim totally ineffective on BBE? Also, really curious about the Solar gun (doing my first 22 emblem run right now), since I did my first run on BBE without it, only stun and MK22. Also, less than full health since I was too lazy for the clock trick ^^'

Memorization and execution are the key to me.

Ein Bear

Now that I'm wrapping up my final, Platinum, playthough, I've still got a couple of questions about the game:

What exactly was the deal with the syringe? It's introduced as a way of de-activating a person's nanomachines, yet half way through the game Snake suddenly starts acting as though he's terminally ill and the syringe is keeping him alive or something.

Was there any significance to that little tune that kept recurring throughout the game? Sunny sings it whilst she cooks eggs, the Resistance member whistles it in Act 3, and it's played over the results screen at the very end.

I never understood the Syringe. As Naomi explains it it temporarily 'turns off' your nanomachines, or dampens them or something, so Ocelot's SOP experiments and Screaming Mantis' stuff won't affect Snake. But then it also refills Snake's Psyche gauge, for some reason. As for why he starts having coughing fits that go away when he syringes himself... no idea. I think the idea was that his nanomachines are old and faulty and they're screwing with his body, and the juice in the syringe suppresses them.

What I really don't understand is why Naomi kept injecting herself over the course of the game.
She explains she has cancer, and the nanomachines are keeping her alive, so by injecting herself over and over in Act 4 she lets the cancer kill her. Which is fine, as long as you don't mind too much that it's a magical Instant Cancer. But then why does she keep injecting herself in other cutscenes? Is she feeling too alive, so she needs a quick spritz of cancer to keep being maudlin all the time?

Steroyd

I never understood the Syringe. As Naomi explains it it temporarily 'turns off' your nanomachines, or dampens them or something, so Ocelot's SOP experiments and Screaming Mantis' stuff won't affect Snake. But then it also refills Snake's Psyche gauge, for some reason. As for why he starts having coughing fits that go away when he syringes himself... no idea. I think the idea was that his nanomachines are old and faulty and they're screwing with his body, and the juice in the syringe suppresses them.

What I really don't understand is why Naomi kept injecting herself over the course of the game.
She explains she has cancer, and the nanomachines are keeping her alive, so by injecting herself over and over in Act 4 she lets the cancer kill her. Which is fine, as long as you don't mind too much that it's a magical Instant Cancer. But then why does she keep injecting herself in other cutscenes? Is she feeling too alive, so she needs a quick spritz of cancer to keep being maudlin all the time?

The more you have the less effective it gets.

Maybe it's Foxdie that's causing snake the coughing fits, there probably is consistency... somewhere...

BadWolf

The thing to remember about Snake is that he was pretty much at the end of his lifespan, he was a really old man. They said any other man wouldn't have been standing at the time. He also mentions his suit as helping him function. Couple this with the virus inside him mutating and the SOP system doing a number on his nanomachines and its not a pretty picture. Not to mention the dude was constantly smoking in addition to all this.

Same with Naomi, she was at the fatal stage of her cancer and would already have been dead if it weren't for the injections. She injects herself during Act 1 and 2 so as not to get effected by Ocelot turning the SOP system off.

When giving the syringe to Snake she says that in addition to suppressing nanos the syringe also gives a psyche boost, so an adrenaline boost. This is why Snake and Ocelot used it at the end.

Ein Bear

Aaaaaand done! :D Good lord, that was a bloody mission. Liquid went down surprisingly easily though, I think I got lucky.

Thanks a lot The One Who Knocks, your guide was a massive, massive help!

x0J12.jpg

...Now I just have to do Peace Walker :p

Carbonox

Aaaaaand done! :D Good lord, that was a bloody mission. Liquid went down surprisingly easily though, I think I got lucky.

Thanks a lot The One Who Knocks, your guide was a massive, massive help!

x0J12.jpg

...Now I just have to do Peace Walker :p

I'm...I'm inspired to do the same. :lol

Fuck Peace Walker though.

Where did you get your PSN Raiden wallpaper from, btw?

Ein Bear

Haha, Peace Walker at 1%...

Me too :(

I just can't find that game fun

I got a bit further in it on the PSP, but still only to like... Chapter 3 or something. It's the boss fights that really kill it for me, they're all godawful and no fun at all. Think I'm going to give it another shot though, I'm hoping that if I make it through the opening sections and build my base/equipment up a bit, the game might get more fun.

I'm...I'm inspired to do the same. :lol

Fuck Peace Walker though.

Where did you get your PSN Raiden wallpaper from, btw?

Haha do it man! It's more managable than you'd think, MGS2 is probably the only one that's actually difficult (those VR Missions...). MGS3 is a cakewalk, and MGS4 is just time consuming more than anything else.

Can't remember where I got the Rising wallpaper from, think it was the reveal thread maybe? Here you go anyway: http://imgur.com/YB56G

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You just need someone to help you jump start your R&D levels with S-rank soldiers. After that get the Bandana and Stealth plans with the Fulton Launcher. Everything else follows after that.

depward

Played through this right when it launched and the recent trophy patch made me play through it again.

I love this game. It's just so good. There are so many details in everything it's mind boggling. The graphics are still ridiculously good (dare I say still the tops?) even after 4 years.

And the music is just phenomenal.

BadWolf

Yeah I finished my playthrough yesterday as well and I loved it even more this time, everything about the game is top notch.

All day today I've had the urge to replay it again.

Played through this right when it launched and the recent trophy patch made me play through it again.

I love this game. It's just so good. There are so many details in everything it's mind boggling. The graphics are still ridiculously good (dare I say still the tops?) even after 4 years.

And the music is just phenomenal.

The soundtrack left me speechless.

The Love theme and Old Snake theme especially capture the mood/character so well.

Fuck this is convoluted. I don't even know where to begin. Yes I've read the OP, road maps @ PS3Trophies, and I still have no idea how to wrap my head around it.

SmithnCo

Fuck this is convoluted. I don't even know where to begin. Yes I've read the OP, road maps @ PS3Trophies, and I still have no idea how to wrap my head around it.

Long story short, you must do 8 playthroughs, one of which is the chicken run, and one is the BBE run. For the other 6, you have to get the different completion medals.

Chicken and BBE pretty much need their own dedicated guides, one is kinda tough and the other is brutally boring.

Yeah I'm looking at the chicken run right now and... I just don't know about it. If there's one thing I find absolutely deplorable in a game, it's keeping track of a large amount of things, which is why I generally hate weapon and item crafting in an RPG.

Top Bottom