• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 & God of War PSP Bundles Announced

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Draft said:
$500 bundle? What the fuck. That is not how you deal the deathblow to Microsoft.

Considering if you break down controller and game costs, it puts the system at below $400...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
I don't know how quickly this will filter down, but...

..I get a slight feeling this my be a pre-emptive 'reaction' to any bundling MS might make with a certain other big title coming in Spring. And also to start building anticipation for MGS4 - which if they really have formally tied as an exclusive (of some kind), they probably are contractually obligated to promote in a pretty huge way.

Yup, pretty much.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's buy a 80GB get a DS3 and MGS4 free, basically.

Sure, it'd have been nice if they did the same with the 40GB, but their data tells them the 80GB is still popular, and this is a nice way of boosting its appeal even more.

Draft

Kagari said:
Considering if you break down controller and game costs, it puts the system at below $400...
No doubt the rumbleless controller is being phased out in favor of the rumblefull controller, making its cost a moot point. You're basically getting the game for free, which is nice and tempting for one such as myself, but $400 would have been a lot more fucking tempting.

duk

Banned
Kagari said:

so the current 80gb really only costs ~455 since you're not counting the controller...

Narag

Draft said:
No doubt the rumbleless controller is being phased out in favor of the rumblefull controller, making its cost a moot point. You're basically getting the game for free, which is nice and tempting for one such as myself, but $400 would have been a lot more fucking tempting.

There's much truth here.

Well, that made my mind up for me. I was seriously considering a PS3 in April but now I'll wait, too many games I have yet to beat on my 360 and Wii, anyways. I was also considering a PSP at some point.

Sony finally has me, in June I will be spending ALOT of money.

PS3 Metal Gear bundle
PSP GoW Bundle
Ninja Gaiden 2
A couple Blu Ray movies or so....

Damn good thing its my birthday that month...

but still.

I think 2008 may just be better for gaming than 2007 was for all consoles(PS3 especially)

jet1911

Are we sure the 80GB model will be the one with the backward comp. and all that jazz? They could take the 40GB model and stick a bigger HDD in it.

Firewire

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
I don't know! Curse me and my indecisive nature!

Anyone think Sony will pop out a second bundle at the sametime like the Star Wars / Daxter Combo. I'd have to kill someone if I bought now and a mint green psp bundle was announced

Well stay away from the Star Wars bundle in black its lame, it doesn't have the 1GB memory card.

The Daxter bundle in silver is really nice and comes with everything you need.

The GOW bundle in red is sweet, but you have to be a big GOW fan or really like the red color to get it, I think.

Or you can wait and see if any of the funky colors from Japan make it to Europe or N.A.

Personally I picked up the silver Daxter bundle a couple weeks back. Its really nice, I'll pick up the GOW one to, as I'm a huge fan and it'll just add to my gaming collection.

Cardon

Despite this awesome MGS4 bundle I'm still hoping for a nice JP one like there was for MGS3, preferably with a nice art book and model.

andycapps

Looks like Kojima Productions will get their wish. This will sell millions of MGS4, not that the game needs that much help. :lol Would be nice to see a custom 80 GB model of this with some good MGS artwork screenprinted on it.

YagizY

Help me out here guys because I am slow, so this is an 80 gig PS3, MGS4, and a Dualshock 3.

Does this mean we get two controllers? One in the box and the other seperate?

gofreak said:
It's buy a 80GB get a DS3 and MGS4 free, basically.

Sure, it'd have been nice if they did the same with the 40GB, but their data tells them the 80GB is still popular, and this is a nice way of boosting its appeal even more.

The inclusion of the DS3 is nice, but expected.

Unfortunately, this means that Sony isn't planning on making any other significant HW/pricing changes until the fall.

- No 120/160GB
- No price drop
- No significant redesign (likely)

With all of these true, WHY DOES NO F***ING STORE HAVE 80GB PS3's right now? The only reason I can guess is that they've got new shipments with the DS coming already, but where are they and why has it been weeks?

sphinx

the piano man
I dunno guys.

you act like the pure awesomeness of MGS4 will demolish the $499 dollar psychological barrier in people's minds.

it is still very, very expensive compared to a PS2 at the same point in time.

the bundle is indeed a very good value, considering how and where the PS3 started but it is still far and away from being consumer friendly.

I wish it good and success anyway.

RBH

Terrific move by Sony. Both bundles are good values IMO and that Kratos PSP looks hot.

gofreak said:
I don't know how quickly this will filter down, but...

..I get a slight feeling this my be a pre-emptive 'reaction' to any bundling MS might make with a certain other big title coming in Spring. And also to start building anticipation for MGS4 - which if they really have formally tied as an exclusive (of some kind), they probably are contractually obligated to promote in a pretty huge way.
Bingo. I was initially thinking that the MGS4 bundle announcement is coming a bit too early, but the timing of the announcement makes me think that the probability of seeing a 360 GTAIV bundle just increased.

I'm totally picking up that bundle. I just REALLY hope it is available with a WHITE Playstation 3. That sucker hit the FCC. I NEEDS IT. My consoles must be in matching white!

The wait is going to kill me though. I really want to pick up a Blu-Ray player now that it has "won" the war.

Tideas

Banned
sonycowboy said:

Unfortunately, this means that Sony isn't planning on making any other significant HW/pricing changes until the fall.

- No 120/160GB
- No price drop

With all of these true, WHY DOES NO F***ING STORE HAVE 80GB PS3's right now? The only reason I can guess is that they've got new shipments with the DS coming already, but where are they and why has it been weeks?

the 120/160GB has always been a FUD rumor.
Sony shareholders like to make money. Don't think we'll see a pricedrop in the near distant future. Anyone who saw the Januay NPD and thought that must be a lil crazy.

Significant redesign 1.4 years into the console's life? Look more to March 09 for the redesign (or November 08).

andycapps

sonycowboy said:

- No 120/160GB
- No price drop

Sony was probably wanting to clear the retail channel of the 80 GB PS3's before this bundle came out. My guess is that they didn't think that 80 GB's would sell as fast as they are, and they're probably frantically trying to get more 80 GB's to retail.

GhaleonEB

sphinx said:
I dunno guys.

you act like the pure awesomeness of MGS4 will demolish the $499 dollar psychological barrier in people's minds.

it is still very, very expensive compared to a PS2 at the same point in time.

the bundle is indeed a very good value, considering how and where the PS3 started but it is still far and away from being consumer friendly.

I wish it good and success anyway.
It will provide a good spike, to be sure. But I do think you are right. $500 is a huge barrier. And from a competetive standpoint, I expect Microsoft to cut their price before this ships, so the gap will be larger between the systems.

SC raised a great point about the timing as well. But I don't see a $500 pack on the horizon impacting the $400 SKu too much in the next month or so. It will hurt more as it gets closer.

sonycowboy said:

- No 120/160GB
- No price drop

It must mean they are just hording systems like MS for spring excitment, right?

Redd

Wow that's a great deal. If I didn't have a ps3 or psp already that would be more than enough for me to get both for 700 dollars.

Oni Jazar

sonycowboy said:

- No 120/160GB
- No price drop

Agreed. It also means that the PS3 may see slow sales in the beginning of Q3 as people will be waiting on the MGS4 bundle. The bundle is a great idea, but I'm not sure how great a move it was to release this information so early.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oni Jazar said:
Agreed. It also means that the PS3 may see slow sales in the beginning of Q3 as people will be waiting on the MGS4 bundle. The bundle is a great idea, but I'm not sure how great a move it was to release this information so early.

I think it'll be fine. The average consumer doesn't know shit.

traveler

Not Wario
Will there be any cosmetic differences or is it simply going to be a regular 80GB PS3 with MGS4 thrown in? (I don't care either way; I'm just curious)

sonycowboy said:
Sony, Sony, Sony...

Why would you announce a bundle, thus giving folks a reason to NOT buy a PS3 now? And announce it will come with the DUALSHOCK controller.

Joe Blow: I'll just wait for the bundle...

Way to "kill" PS3 HW sales for the next 3 months
Maybe they don't care about the next 3 Months.

Mojovonio

Banned
Firewire said:
I think the 360 controller is $59.95 here, don't know about the Wii at all.

Yeah, its $59.99.

Hence why this is a great price for the DS3.

But for fucks sake, release it with a longer USB cable?

Luckyman

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Sony, Sony, Sony...

Why would you announce a bundle, thus giving folks a reason to NOT buy a PS3 now? And announce it will come with the DUALSHOCK controller.

Joe Blow: I'll just wait for the bundle...

Way to "kill" PS3 HW sales for the next 3 months

$299 believe

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Greg said:
Joe Blow doesn't know about upcoming bundles.
They will if they start advertising the bundle. I personally would prefer to lose some sales of the 40gb for a few months in order to get more preorders for the new bundle, though.

Top Bottom