• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 & God of War PSP Bundles Announced

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition God
of War(R) PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War
Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself,
Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly
anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit
comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad(TM)," on UMD(TM) (Universal
Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION(R)Network voucher to download Syphon Filter(R):
Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION(R)Store
Holy crap.

Jammy

Banned
Ew... can we get the new PSP colors without the damn logos and shit everywhere? Thanks Sony. Release a deep red PSP without the damn Kratos on the back and I'll bite.

I want a slick PSP in a slick color, not some toyish red or blue color I'd expect from a Game Boy.

Odysseus

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
They did say they wanted to own the launch of GTAIV, how else can they do it?

the way ms has operated so far, they can't. they'll probably find a way to screw this up.

maybe they'll release a gta iv edition 360 for, i don't know, $399. game sold separately. regular 360s? what regular 360s?

Wow. That kicks the crap out of the Daxter/Family Guy pack I bought a month ago. :/ Although the red looks kind of ugly. And if the 80GB PS3 in the MGS4 has BC I'll finally jump on the next-gen bandwagon.

Danj

Leidenfrost said:
Confirmed to be the regular 80GB with BC by Al De Leon (SCEA PR Manager) on the Playstation Blog
Playstation Blog said:
adeleon replied on February 26, 2008 at 12:44 pm
Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

Links or it didn't happen!

Also, Playstation Blog seems to be down with an "Error establishing database connection" at the moment...

Odysseus said:
the way ms has operated so far, they can't. they'll probably find a way to screw this up.

maybe they'll release a gta iv edition 360 for, i don't know, $399. game sold seperately. regular 360s? what regular 360s?

If they fuck the GTAIV bundle up they can say goodbye to 2008.

tha_con

Banned
Holy shit Sony is out for blood huh? That PSP bundle is enough to sell me a new one. I was 'loling' at the other PSP Slim bundles, no reason to upgrade, but this just sold me.

WinFonda

I'm glad to see Sony and Konami teaming up for this. They should probably get a European MGS4 bundle out there as well.

Maximize profit for Kojima Productions! Sell more PS3's! Win/win in my opinion.

Das-J

Law of the West
sonycowboy said:
Sony, Sony, Sony...

Why would you announce a bundle, thus giving folks a reason to NOT buy a PS3 now? And announce it will come with the DUALSHOCK controller.

Joe Blow: I'll just wait for the bundle...

Joe Blow doesn't keep up with corporate announcements... I'll go ahead and assume the impact will be minimal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This bundle does scream desperation. You just don't bundle such a huge game with a system at the game's launch like this. If anyone can give some other examples of this happening, please say.

That's not to say it's a bad move. Now I KNOW I'm getting a PS3, in June. I'm sure it will boost sales.

But the problem is that they announced a bundle about three and a half months ahead of time. What the hell?

Isn't that going to hurt sales for the next three and a half months? Plenty of gamers will now wait for the bundle, and the fact of the matter is that MGS is not a system selling series in the same field as Halo or GTA anymore. It's not talked about by the general casual gaming public like Halo or GTA. Not to say it won't sell great, as MGS3 I think managed to hit 1 million.

But is Sony betting on bundling MGS4 with PS3 being the same thing as bundling 360 with Halo 3? I don't think the impact is going to be as big as they want. The fact of the matter is that it's still $500.

It doesn't matter what game it comes with. That's still a lot of money for people to spend on a gaming console. 360 has done very well but it's not done Wii numbers, and that's mainly because it still hasn't hit that magic price point.

With GTA4 coming out in late April to both systems, which will almost definitely help 360 sales more than PS3 sales, and the rumored (though I doubt it) 360 price drop along the same time GTA4 comes out, is it smart for Sony to announce this three and a half months ahead of time?

On the PSP, that just looks great.. except the silk screening. Can't we just get a solid red (and solid white, while they're at it)?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
tha_con said:
Holy shit Sony is out for blood huh? That PSP bundle is enough to sell me a new one. I was 'loling' at the other PSP Slim bundles, no reason to upgrade, but this just sold me.

Dude same here just got rid of my psp so this really interests the hell out of me.

Big-E

omg rite said:
This bundle does scream desperation. You just don't bundle such a huge game with a system at the game's launch like this. If anyone can give some other examples of this happening, please say.

GT3: A-spec? I can't remember the difference between the launch date and the bundle.

WinFonda

omg rite said:

'the fuck? :lol :lol

cryptic

omg rite said:

That's not to say it's a bad move. Now I KNOW I'm getting a PS3, in June. I'm sure it will boost sales.

But the problem is that they announced a bundle about three and a half months ahead of time. What the hell?

Isn't that going to hurt sales for the next three and a half months? Plenty of gamers will now wait for the bundle, and the fact of the matter is that MGS is not a system selling series in the same field as Halo or GTA anymore. It's not talked about by the general casual gaming public like Halo or GTA. Not to say it won't sell great, as MGS3 I think managed to hit 1 million.

But is Sony betting on bundling MGS4 with PS3 being the same thing as bundling 360 with Halo 3? I don't think the impact is going to be as big as they want. The fact of the matter is that it's still $500.

It doesn't matter what game it comes with. That's still a lot of money for people to spend on a gaming console. 360 has done very well but it's not done Wii numbers, and that's mainly because it still hasn't hit that magic price point.

With GTA4 coming out in late April to both systems, which will almost definitely help 360 sales more than PS3 sales, and the rumored (though I doubt it) 360 price drop along the same time GTA4 comes out, is it smart for Sony to announce this three and a half months ahead of time?

On the PSP, that just looks great.. except the silk screening. Can't we just get a solid red (and solid white, while they're at it)?

Is this news on display at Gamestop atop a giant poster written in large font?

If not, then I don't think this will affect sales.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
omg rite said:

You just answered your own question. Read that again.

Narag

Big-E said:
GT3: A-spec?

Its going way back but was Link's Awakening bundled with the Gameboy when that game came out? This really isn't unheard of.

Also, Super Mario World.

The pack-in game is a good marketing tool that's not been used properly for a while.

Big-E

Narag said:
Its going way back but was Link's Awakening bundled with the Gameboy when that game came out? This really isn't unheard of.

Also, Super Mario World.

The pack-in game is a good marketing tool that's not been used properly for a while.

Shit I forgot about SMW. That would be the best example.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
omg rite said:

I am going to call you Negative Nancy. :D

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
Is this bundled 80gb PS3 going to use the newish 65nm Cell so it is quieter, cooler, and uses less power? If so I am going to pre-order asap if I can.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just thinking out loud..

..this was probably part of the conditions of making MGS4 exclusive (to whatever degree).

Afterall, someone has to be paying for these bundled copies of MGS4.

I.e. Sony is basically guaranteeing a certain number of sales of MGS4 for Konami, by buying them themselves...? As far as Konami is concerned, whether they're sold to customers directly or sold to Sony, sold is sold..

Certainly seems like something they could have offered to seal some sort of deal.

I'm getting one now for sure. That deal is completely insane. It was a very dumb thing to announce now though, as no one is going to wait until June to jump in with GTA4.

So, Sony netted one sale (me) but probably lost a few hundred thousand (other people).

Odysseus

Banned
didn't nintendo due the translucent green 64 to go with donkey kong when it launched? it was bundled with the game, right? how about the infamous pikachu 64? i'm pretty sure they did an episode 1 racer bundle at its launch, too.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm getting one now for sure. That deal is completely insane. It was a very dumb thing to announce now though, as no one is going to wait until June to jump in with GTA4.

So, Sony netted one sale (me) but probably lost a few hundred thousand (other people).

Unless those people aren't going to buy a PS3 now, they haven't lost any sales.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
f@luS said:
PS3 is

-60 (mgs4)
-55 (controller DS3)
-20 (no extra battery needed)
-400 (8 years going, 50$ a year (xbox live price) )
-100 Wifi
-200 bluray drive

BUY PS3 AND WIN $335.00 profit !

Fixed

gofreak said:
Just thinking out loud..

..this was probably part of the conditions of making MGS4 exclusive (to whatever degree).

Afterall, someone has to be paying for these bundled copies of MGS4.

I.e. Sony is basically guaranteeing a certain number of sales of MGS4 for Konami, by buying them themselves...? As far as Konami is concerned, whether they're sold to customers directly or sold to Sony, sold is sold..

Certainly seems like something they could have offered to seal some sort of deal.

Not a bad theory at all.

SolidSnakex said:
Unless those people aren't going to buy a PS3 now, they haven't lost any sales.

True. Delayed, more like it. But, wait, it's likely that a lot of people are going to decide in April what next gen console to buy and (pretty much) stick with. 360 now has the pole position for a lot of those purchases. Potentially. So...hm...a little from column a (my argument) a little from column b (yours)...

DeadGzuz

Banned
HondaF1Fanatic said:
Is this bundled 80gb PS3 going to use the newish 65nm Cell so it is quieter, cooler, and uses less power? If so I am going to pre-order asap if I can.

I'm guessing that's why we don't see 80GBs now, the transition to the new CPU and fan design. Cheaper for Sony.

Ashhong

1. this is going to fuck up MGS4's numbers. going to make NPD comparisons a lot harder :lol
2. if ps3 for some reason doesnt outsell 360 in june/august, gaf will probably burn down
3. why is gow PSP coming out in june? they should have had it ready for launch day =(

Ashhong said:
1. this is going to fuck up MGS4's numbers. going to make NPD comparisons a lot harder :lol
2. if ps3 for some reason doesnt outsell 360 in june/august, gaf will probably burn down
3. why is gow PSP coming out in june? they should have had it ready for launch day =(

Holy shit, man, if 360 drops the price in April we could see an exponential increase in sales that would probably let it match the bundle in sales in June. At least in the US. Bananars.

BenjaminBirdie said:
True. Delayed, more like it. But, wait, it's likely that a lot of people are going to decide in April what next gen console to buy and (pretty much) stick with. 360 now has the pole position for a lot of those purchases. Potentially. So...hm...a little from column a (my argument) a little from column b (yours)...

Well I don't know. I mean if they want MGS4 and GTA4 they'd still get a PS3 even if it's not the bundle.

SolidSnakex said:
Well I don't know. I mean if they want MGS4 and GTA4 they'd still get a PS3 even if it's not the bundle.

Limitless possibilities....

I'm just thinking out loud anyways. Mostly I'm just glad I held out. Or rather, that I lost three jobs in two years.

Ashhong

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit, man, if 360 drops the price in April we could see an exponential increase in sales that would probably let it match the bundle in sales in June. At least in the US. Bananars.

yea they could drop the price, and i see that happening now after this announcement. BUT if they dont, and it still outsells....things will be crazy. comments like NG2 > MGS4 will be everywhere. :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Limitless possibilities....

I'm just thinking out loud anyways. Mostly I'm just glad I held out. Or rather, that I lost three jobs in two years.

Well you won't be able to get the LE since you held out. :p

SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition God
of War(R) PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War
Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself,
Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly
anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit
comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad(TM)," on UMD(TM) (Universal
Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION(R)Network voucher to download Syphon Filter(R):
Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION(R)Store.

I am literally forced to upgrade to a slim at this point. It's like a gun to my head.

Swan Song

omg rite said:
With GTA4 coming out in late April to both systems, which will almost definitely help 360 sales more than PS3 sales

Not to get off topic but I would question this statement.

A good deal of people waiting for the "killer app" or system seller bought a 360 when Halo 3 came out. These are the same people who will buy GTA4, but I'm sure there will be a lot of new people as well.

On the other hand, many people are still waiting for the system seller on PS3 and GTA4 could be it. Because of this, I think the game has the potential to move more PS3s than 360s. I'm not saying it will sell better on the PS3, I'm saying the PS3 system itself could sell better when this game launches cause the majority of Xbox fans who will buy this already own a 360 while the majority of PS3 fans who will buy this don't own a PS3 yet.

Top Bottom