• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 & God of War PSP Bundles Announced

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Elios83 said:
An unknown game and a niche hardcore action series?

WTF about the Niche hardcore action series!?!??! Talk to DMC4 even though it was released on 2 platforms.

Jtrizzy

omg rite said:
Again, casuals don't care about MGS4 that much. If they're going to buy a system, they're going to get the one they can get GTA4 on for cheaper, the system which also happens to have Halo and GoW. MGS4 is not at the same level as those games.

Well I'm sure Sony has aspirations that MGS4 will be as big as Gears. I think the bundle is designed to hype MGS4 and to combat the advantage MS has with the DLC.

They have to do something to negate the huge advantage MS has with the dlc and it makes sense that they would say get the PS3 so you can play both games as opposed to only GTA + DLC.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
ShinAmano said:
Funny you say niche...that is how I would classify MGS weather true or not...

WTF MGS 2 6-7 mill units and MGS 3 2-4 mill units is that fucking NICHE FOR YoU! :D

ShinAmano

Elbrain said:
WTF MGS 2 6-7 mill units and MGS 3 2-4 mill units is that fucking NICHE FOR YoU! :D
Yeah...:lol

Anyhow it is almost guaranteed that MS will lower teh price on the 360 for GTA and this move of anouncing the bundle this early just bodes poorly for sales of the PS3 until June.

LowParry

Tideas said:
Ninja Gaiden is a niche hardcore game...

How many copies did it sell on the original xbox?

Sadly not enough. Good thing there is a 2 coming out concidering it's poor sales.

Wollan said:
How can you even ask that?
Because as much as people like to put credence in MGS' ability to skyrocket the PS3 into 360's territory, it's practically been a series of diminishing returns since MGS2? Not to mention that these are high profile Microsoft releases that are probably going to be marketed the shit out of?

Hey, I'm not saying MGS is gonna fail, or even that either of those games are going to do better than it, but I think everyone who thinks that's it's going to be a world-crushing hit needs to get a reality check...

Oh God, I've started Sales-Aging again! I need to get out of this thread!! :<

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I AM JOHN! said:
Because as much as people like to put credence in MGS' ability to skyrocket the PS3 into 360's territory, it's practically been a series of diminishing returns since MGS2? Not to mention that these are high profile Microsoft releases that are probably going to be marketed the shit out of?

Hey, I'm not saying MGS is gonna fail, or even that either of those games are going to do better than it, but I think everyone who thinks that's it's going to be a world-crushing hit needs to get a reality check...

Some one bust out with the CHARTZ@!W$%#$%#$%#$ We need proof! :D

Jtrizzy

Casuals will be considering Halo 3 (and GoW2 probably) well before MGS4.

Fine, you may be right about that, but it doesn't mean Sony is just going to throw in the towel with GTAIV. I'm looking at this from the perspective of what Sony is trying to do marketing wise, not what Joe Casual may or may not be thinking.

I imagine that Sony's plan is to go ape shit with the advertising and hype for MGS4. They will be trying to make MGS a huge event, whether they are successful or not we don't know. If they are successful, then it will at the very least create a decision for people, and likely cut into 360 sales that result from GTAIV and the exclusive DLC.

I'm not saying it will work, just that this is what they are trying to do. I doubt Sony is just sitting there saying well, they've got Halo and it's cheaper, so let's just concede all the people upgrading as a result of GTA to Microsoft.

sajj316

Jtrizzy said:
Well I'm sure Sony has aspirations that MGS4 will be as big as Gears. I think the bundle is designed to hype MGS4 and to combat the advantage MS has with the DLC.

They have to do something to negate the huge advantage MS has with the dlc and it makes sense that they would say get the PS3 so you can play both games as opposed to only GTA + DLC.

Are you assuming that GTIV is for 'casual' gamers? If GTIV is 'casual', why can't MGS4 be 'casual'? I will also add the Epic had aspirations that Gears would be as big as the Metal Gear series in terms of units sold.

I do agree that MS has the advantage with DLC for GTIV. The problem is ... we have no idea on what the content is. If users shell out the money on the 360 for GTIV, they are not necessarily buying it for the DLC and if they do, its with hope that the DLC is good. How many GOLD members are there versus Xbox 360 owners? If they want the DLC, they'll have to shell out $50.00 for the year on membership + the cost of DLC. With all the money spent to get the 'max' out of GTIV you could have bought a PS3 with MGS4 buddled.

Tideas

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

High profile MS release in June? Like what? And even if they are marketted, how would that affect MGS sales?

Honestly, are ppl downplaying MGS console selling ability? Seriously? I mean...seriously?

WinFonda

I've always thought that in terms of selling power, it went God of War > Devil May Cry > Ninja Gaiden.

Ninja Gaiden really is a hardcore game -- Made by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers. It's very difficult to play, and it lacks some of the more extravagant production values of Devil May Cry and especially God of War.

In terms of action games, Ninja Gaiden isn't niche; it's a well known title that holds its own. But in terms of the bigger picture, it really sort of... is.

It's not in the same ballpark as MGS4, thats for sure.

ShinAmano

sajj316 said:
If they want the DLC, they'll have to shell out $50.00 for the year on membership + the cost of DLC. With all the money spent to get the 'max' out of GTIV you could have bought a PS3 with MGS4 buddled.
Wrong...DLC can be downloaded with a silver account...and you are assuming it will cost something...

Let me summarize the last 3 pages of this thread. Sales. That's all. Sales.

Omg rite <--------- Stop tearing down. Just relax.

I just got a question, it seems everyone here is so confident that people will buy GTA for the 360 just because of the dlc? You've got to be kidding me. That's just WOW territory.
People don't even know how the whole dlc thing is going to pan out. I do however believe in logic, if people told me people were buying GTA on the 360 because the 360 is simply the cheaper option to play the game on, that's fair. But people buying GTA on 360 because of dlc? Is it fair if I say people will associate GTA with the Playstation brand name and therefore actually sell more on the Ps3? Please, for fuck sakes. Casual could careless about the goddamn dlc and casuals could careless about the damn brand association but if anything, I'd put brand association havning more pulling power than dlc.

Jesus. Omg rite, you are sure are on fire in this thread. Do you own a Ps3? If not, grab one in June, good time to get one.

And uh, Too Human and Ninja Gaiden are NOT MGS caliber.

pr0cs

sajj316 said:
Are you assuming that GTIV is for 'casual' gamers? If GTIV is 'casual', why can't MGS4 be 'casual'? I will also add the Epic had aspirations that Gears would be as big as the Metal Gear series in terms of units sold.

MGS4 is really far from casual, in North America anyway. The necessity to have played the previous versions, the language barrier (though I haven't read if the game has voice dubs or not) and the story are pretty huge barrier to entry.
If Sony markets the shit out of the game it might do well but even comparing GTA4 to MGS4 is silly in regards to "casual gamer awareness".

FortunateSon said:
Let me summarize the last 3 pages of this thread. Sales. That's all. Sales.

Omg rite <--------- Stop tearing down. Just relax.

I just got a question, it seems everyone here is so confident that people will buy GTA for the 360 just because of the dlc? You've got to be kidding me. That's just WOW territory.
People don't even how the whole dlc thing is going to pan out. I do however believe logic, if people told me people were buying GTA on the 360 because 360 is the cheaper option to play the game, that's fair. But people buying GTA on 360 because of dlc? Is it fair if I say people will associate GTA with the Playstation name and therefore actually sell more on the Ps3? Please, for fuck sakes. Casual could careless about the goddamn dlc and casuals could careless about the damn brand association but if anything, I'd put brand association havniong more pulling power than dlc.

And I'd put both of those behind the marketing juggernaut MS is going to be putting behind the 360 version. DLC is just the differential. It's the PROMOTION of ANY differential that's going to make the difference.

pr0cs said:
MGS4 is really far from casual, in North America anyway. The necessity to have played the previous versions, the language barrier (though I haven't read if the game has voice dubs or not) and the story are pretty huge barrier to entry.
If Sony markets the shit out of the game it might do well but even comparing GTA4 to MGS4 is silly in regards to "casual gamer awareness".

Wow. How can you even comment when you're under the impression that MGS4 will have a language barrier for American gamers? Why would it not be dubbed?

Ryan's said it plenty of times and from what we've all seen it seems very apparent, Kojima Productions is building this game to be very playable by those who are new to the series. I'd expect huge recap options for those who haven't played the first three games.

Guled

Why dose every thread about a big sony game become an argument about the selling power. Unless you guys bought some sony stocks, then why do you care if it sells or not.

I AM JOHN! said:

Also, Konami shut down the MGS3 online not even a year after the game came out due to lack of interest.

Also, what's up with the lack of memory card in the PSP bundle? How much extra does it cost to throw a 32mb card in there so people can save their games? The Dexter bundle did it right and included a gig stick.

BenjaminBirdie said:
And I'd put both of those behind the marketing juggernaut MS is going to be putting behind the 360 version. DLC is just the differential. It's the PROMOTION of ANY differential that's going to make the difference.

What? I get it dlc is the differential but you really think it's going to make any difference? Not in the grand scheme of things.

So you are simply suggesting because of the marketing push Ms will put behind dlc and that being the differential will impact this?

First of all, you have no clue about how Ms is going to market this.

Why are people acting as if GTA isn't hitting the Ps3? It is. Doesn't matter of MGS4 is as casual as GTA is. Ps3 is getting BOTH. If Sony was smart, they could DEFINATELY use this to their advantage big time.

Also, Konami shut down the MGS3 online not even a year after the game came out due to lack of interest.

Tell me you played MGS3: O. Just stay away from Sony threads.

batbeg

I don't think there is, but I did skip 4 pages through here - any word on a European release of this bundle yet? I'd be very willing to buy this at £270... and maaaaybe £300.

Jtrizzy

Fine forget the DLC. A shit load of people will be upgrading to a new system for GTA, many of whom will not care about Blu Ray. From a games perspective, Sony needs to have a reason for people to choose PS3 over the 360 when GTA comes out, and if they can get the hype meter up for MGS, then (imo) a significant number of people will choose the PS3 in anticipation of the new Metal Gear. They have to combat the fact that the 360 is cheaper in some way. Again they are not just going to let MS walk away with all of the new hardware buyers who will enter the market as a result of GTAIV.

pr0cs

Pai Pai Master said:
Wow. How can you even comment when you're under the impression that MGS4 will have a language barrier for American gamers? Why would it not be dubbed?

I can comment because I don't know for sure. And it sounds like you don't know either. MGS4 better be dubbed otherwise it will be a death knell for "casual" gamers. The story itself is NOT going to be friendly to gamers new to the series anyway. Shit I even played MGS and watching the hype videos for MGS4 I had no fucking clue what was going on. You're crazy if JSP is going to understand the story.

MCD

WinFonda said:
I've always thought that in terms of selling power, it went God of War > Devil May Cry > Ninja Gaiden.

Ninja Gaiden really is a hardcore game -- Made by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers. It's very difficult to play, and it lacks some of the more extravagant production values of Devil May Cry and especially God of War.

In terms of action games, Ninja Gaiden isn't niche; it's a well known title that holds its own. But in terms of the bigger picture, it really sort of... is.

It's not in the same ballpark as MGS4, thats for sure.
Which is why they added an even easier to play mode than Ninja Dog and more gore.

sajj316

ShinAmano said:
Wrong...DLC can be downloaded with a silver account...and you are assuming it will cost something...

I'm assuming because there are no definitives to the DLC plan with respect to GTAIV. What happens if the DLC involves online play? Don't you need a GOLD membership then? MS is saying its in the form of expansion packs. What kind of expansion packs? Online expansion pack or is more of the same thing? I'll keep assuming until someone tells me what it is.

pr0cs said:
I can comment because I don't know for sure. And it sounds like you don't know either. MGS4 better be dubbed otherwise it will be a death knell for "casual" gamers. The story itself is NOT going to be friendly to gamers new to the series anyway. Shit I even played MGS and watching the hype videos for MGS4 I had no fucking clue what was going on. You're crazy if JSP is going to understand the story.
When the fuck HASN'T an MGS been dubbed?
rolleyes.gif

Tideas

Banned
ShinAmano said:

you think MS will pay $50 mil just to give 360 owners free DLC all the way through *laughs* that's naive. You might get 1 or 2 stuff for free, but I bet you the rest will cost money...

Anyway, yes. MGS4 is not casual. but it is mainstream. Argument - Over

pr0cs said:
MGS4 better be dubbed otherwise it will be a death knell for "casual" gamers.

If you're going to try to put arguments up against MGS4 at least have some clue as to what you're talking about.

FortunateSon said:
What? I get it dlc is the differential but you really think it's going to make any difference? Not in the grand scheme of things.

So you are simply suggesting because of the marketing push Ms will put behind dlc and that being the differential will impact this?

First of all, you have no clue about how Ms is going to market this.

Not specificially, but people like Blim have alluded to a massive push behind it.

Look, you're free to believe it's not going to happen, just like I'm free to take the information we do have and draw conclusions from that.

Tideas said:
you think MS will pay $50 mil just to give 360 owners free DLC all the way through *laughs* that's naive. You might get 1 or 2 stuff for free, but I bet you the rest will cost money...
I don't, but it wouldn't be unprecedented of them to do so if their "EXCLUSIVE DLC!!!" ploy gets them further and further ahead of PS3 in terms of game and hardware sales.

bluemax

Banned
Well crap, I wanted a PS3 for the Show but I guess I'll hold out for this MGS4 bundle given that I can't find a 60 or 80 anywhere.

Tideas

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I don't, but it wouldn't be unprecedented of them to do so if their "EXCLUSIVE DLC!!!" ploy gets them further and further ahead of PS3 in terms of game and hardware sales.

money hungry MS that charges money for you to play online with them? Pigs will fly.

Bookey

Professional Monk
well, damn thats a nice psp bundle that I'll pick up day one and good news about the mgs online beta too for preorder :D

OldJadedGamer said:

Lack of interest from Konami, but there was definitely a sizeable community playing it. They've moved onto Portable Ops.

I AM JOHN! said:

They're going to charge for GTAIV themes. I'll be damned if they don't charge for actual game content. This has nothing to do with the topic though.

And lol @ "incompetent."

roxya

Uhhhhhhhh

God of War: Chains of Olympus comes out in March.

God of War PSP comes out in June.

What does GAF think... buy the game twice or wait a few agonising months until June? :D

Top Bottom