• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 & God of War PSP Bundles Announced

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm getting one now for sure. That deal is completely insane. It was a very dumb thing to announce now though, as no one is going to wait until June to jump in with GTA4.

I ran the math earlier on this. If you wanna jump in on the PS3 in April for GTA4/GT5:p etc., you're not really being screwed over versus waiting until June.

40GB+GTA4+DS3 in April + MGS4 in June = $575

80G+DS3+MGS4+GTA4 in June = $560

For some, perhaps even many people, I can see option number one being more attractive. You're trading some HDD space (easily upgradeable later..) and BC, but you're getting GTA4 et al straight away (and, well, you'll be left with an extra sixaxis too if it's worth mentioning :p).

So I don't think it's a black and white negative for PS3 until June at all. I think the bundle has been carefully crafted not to short change newcomers between now and then, in fact, given the releases that are coming in that time.

Jtrizzy

SolidSnakex said:
Well I don't know. I mean if they want MGS4 and GTA4 they'd still get a PS3 even if it's not the bundle.

This is what I'd be thinking if I didn't already own one. Buy at 40 gig in time for GTA, then just get Metal Gear by itself when it comes out a short time later.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Big-E said:
GT3: A-spec? I can't remember the difference between the launch date and the bundle.

And this is what I was looking for. Forgot about that one. How big was that release? Were there a lot of bundles for a while or was it actually limited?

Odysseus said:
didn't nintendo due the translucent green 64 to go with donkey kong when it launched? it was bundled with the game, right?

That kind of helps my point. Heh.

Narag said:
Its going way back but was Link's Awakening bundled with the Gameboy when that game came out? This really isn't unheard of.

Also, Super Mario World.

The pack-in game is a good marketing tool that's not been used properly for a while.

I think those days were a little different though. Those were days when it games would actually be bundled at the system launch. (And wasn't that done because Genesis was already doing very well and Nintendo needed to catch up, which didn't even happen for a couple years?)

cryptic said:
Is this news on display at Gamestop atop a giant poster written in large font?

If not, then I don't think this will affect sales.

It'll affect sales from gamers. MGS is a series more for the gaming crowd than the casual crowd. That's something everyone knows. Gamers will know about the bundle.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
GT3 bundle with PS2 was fucking huge. thats all i remember.

I guess I'm wrong on that point then, but the rest of what I said still stands. I just couldn't remember if this had been done before. Though the situation is obviously different.

Swan Song said:
Not to get off topic but I would question this statement.

A good deal of people waiting for the "killer app" or system seller bought a 360 when Halo 3 came out. These are the same people who will buy GTA4, but I'm sure there will be a lot of new people as well.

a) GTA4 has big exclusive content on 360. Gamers will take notice of that and many will buy it over the PS3 version. (Though they probably already have 360s.)

b) Many casuals are still waiting to jump in. 360 has not reached the "magic price point" yet. But it simply comes down this type of thinking: "Okay, I can buy a system for GTA and pay less or more money. And if I pay less, I also get to play Halo 3. Oh, and the new Gears of War comes out this year too." MGS doesn't have the impact those three games have.

And I'd LOVE to be proven wrong there. MGS deserves to be as popular, if not more, than those games, in my opinion.

Redd

gofreak said:
I ran the math earlier on this. If you wanna jump in on the PS3 in April for GTA4/GT5:p etc., you're not really being screwed over versus waiting until June.

For some, perhaps even many people, I can see option number one being more attractive. You're trading some HDD space (easily upgradeable later..) and BC, but you're getting GTA4 et al straight away (and, well, you'll be left with an extra sixaxis too if it's worth mentioning :p).

So I don't think it's a black and white negative for PS3 until June at all. I think the bundle has been carefully crafted not to short change newcomers between now and then, in fact, given the releases that are coming in that time.

Some new ps3 buyers who never owned a ps1/2 might want to play the previous 3 MGS games. How lame would it be fighting Psycho Mantis without teh rumble.

Firewire

Banned
Ashhong said:
GT3 bundle with PS2 was fucking huge. thats all i remember.

Yeah they were selling off the truck here in Canada if I remember correctly, they never even made it to the shelves, they went so fast. I think that bundle lasted 4 months, and after it was over, there where still people trying to get them.

WinFonda

gofreak said:
Just thinking out loud..

..this was probably part of the conditions of making MGS4 exclusive (to whatever degree).

Afterall, someone has to be paying for these bundled copies of MGS4.

I.e. Sony is basically guaranteeing a certain number of sales of MGS4 for Konami, by buying them themselves...? As far as Konami is concerned, whether they're sold to customers directly or sold to Sony, sold is sold..

Certainly seems like something they could have offered to seal some sort of deal.
I think Kojima Productions and Konami had always planned some window of exclusivity to the console. They hitched themselves to the PS3 for what? 3 years now? As a result, most of the fanbase has coalesced with the console, and it's a fanbase that stretches across the globe. So in a lot of ways PS3 exclusivity makes sense, bundle or no bundle, it's just a good launch vehicle for the game.

With the bundle though, I think this simply seals the exclusivity deal for even longer periods of time, or perhaps even indefinitely. It sounds odd, but Konami has probably already broke even or potentially profited off MGS4 with this bundle alone. It's gotta be gravy at this point.

Wow. Was looking for an excuse to replace my stolen PSP (wasn't a slim).

Count me in.

My only real hesitation is this: By the time Sony has fully fleshed out the interop between the PS3 and PSP it'll be on the heels of a new PSP hardware revision built to take advantage of it. You guys think this a realistic concern? I love the potential of PSP/PS3 interop.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
argghhhh. I was either going to buy the guts of a new PC in march or a PS3 or a PSP. But now these bundles are making my life even fucking harder!

That red PSP is sex though, god it looks good.

NullPointer said:
Wow. Was looking for an excuse to replace my stolen PSP (wasn't a slim).

Count me in.

My only real hesitation is this: By the time Sony has fully fleshed out the interop between the PS3 and PSP it'll be on the heels of a new PSP hardware revision built to take advantage of it. You guys think this a realistic concern? I love the potential of PSP/PS3 interop.

i wouldnt worry. it will probably be another 2 or 3 years before the psp gets another revision (unless a completely new psp is released)

ShinAmano

Has it been asked yet...why did they decide to cannibalize the momentum they had with the January sales?

Why would anyone buy a PS3 before June now?

Mindlog

gofreak said:

Yeah, but I'm getting GTA IV on my 360 so I can have the DLC.

I'll be all over this new PS3 bundle, day 1 probably.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Has it been asked yet...why did they decide to cannibalize the momentum they had with the January sales?

It's been asked.

And no, it doesn't make much sense. They shouldn't have announced this yet.

justjohn

ShinAmano said:

thats what i'm wondering as well. pretty stupid imo.

Ashhong

this is going to stop what buyers? in my mind, the people that this will affect, are those that want MGS4. chances are, those people were already going to wait for MGS4 until they buy their console. the general public that dont know about MGS4 will continue to buy the 40gb, and what few 80gb are in stores right now. i dont think this will have much of an effect.

DangerStepp

Broadbandito said:
At least I can get it with a discount lol, but finally glad they are hitting the states
Lucky. I'm glad it's finally coming and I'll be obligated into getting one. Because, what's Metal Gear without rumble?

ShinAmano

omg rite said:
It's been asked.

And no, it doesn't make much sense. They shouldn't have announced this yet.
Yeah bad call...especially because i now have buyers remorse...picked up one on the 31st of January ;)

Jtrizzy

They are probably looking at from the perspective that people will buy a 40 gig for GTA, knowing that MGS is coming soon thereafter.

YYZ

I'm a huge God of War fan, but I don't like that red colour for the PSP (black all the way). And it's coming out 3+ months after Chains of Olympus. Also comes with Superbad and voucher that I couldn't care less about. I think I will pass unfortunately.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
They are probably looking at from the perspective that people will buy a 40 gig for GTA, knowing that MGS is coming soon thereafter.

Which is probably not the perspective they should be looking at it with.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Amir0x said:
*calculates*

Well, now I'm going to get this PS3. DEFINITELY.
Yep. It's been a long time coming but I think Sony has finally given me what I would consider a sweet enough deal to justify a purchase finally.

The next 3 and a half months will be torture.

Jtrizzy

omg rite said:
Which is probably not the perspective they should be looking at it with.

Why? Again, if you know MGS 4 is coming out a month later, are you really going to choose a 360 over PS3 just for the GTA DLC vs. MGS4?

Ceb

ShinAmano said:

I think this is mainly a move to prevent last-gen gamers from picking up a 360 + GTAIV in April.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ShinAmano said:

How about buying it 30-days before the bundle then price matching? :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Jtrizzy said:

Yeah that is what I was thinking people who want GTA and want it on PStriple will probably go with that and then those who want the awesome bundle would go with that.

ShinAmano

Ceb said:
I think this is mainly a move to prevent last-gen gamers from picking up a 360 + GTAIV in April.
This does not make much sense...that is basically saying to not buy a PS3 or 360 to enjoy GTA...and also implies that MGS has the same type pull that GTA does...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Why? Again, if you know MGS 4 is coming out a month later, are you really going to choose a 360 just for the GTA DLC over MGs?

Again, casuals don't care about MGS4 that much. If they're going to buy a system, they're going to get the one they can get GTA4 on for cheaper, the system which also happens to have Halo and GoW. MGS4 is not at the same level as those games.

Jtrizzy

ShinAmano said:
This does not make much sense...that is basically saying to not buy a PS3 or 360 to enjoy GTA...and also implies that MGS has the same type pull that GTA does...

No it doesn't imply that at all. But MGS4 is bigger than anything Microsoft has coming in that time frame. GTAIV and MGS4 are the two biggest games for PS3 and one comes out a month after the other. Basically buyers will have to choose between getting a 360 for the DLC or getting a PS3 w/o dlc but with MGS 4.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Jtrizzy said:
No it doesn't imply that at all. But MGS4 is bigger than anything Microsoft has coming in that time frame. GTAIV and MGS4 are the two biggest games for PS3 and one comes out a month after the other. Basically buyers will have to choose between getting a 360 for the DLC or getting a PS3 w/o dlc but with MGS 4.

Seems like a reasonable assumption but never doubt the power of a cheaper product *price* just to get a game you really want.

sajj316

If I didn't have a PSP already, the GOW edition would be a definite buy. If I didn't have a PS3 already (60 GB model), the MSG4 edition would be a definite buy.

I just question the announcement so early for the MGS4 PS3. GOW makes sense for a March release (I believe). Wouldn't this early announcement just give potential buyers a reason to hold out to MGS4?

Jtrizzy said:
Too Human and Ninja Gaiden do not have the potential to be bigger than Metal Gear Solid 4?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jtrizzy said:

The heck? That's wrong. (As was the "MGS4 is bigger than anything MS has at that time".)

If you're BUYING the SYSTEM, it's not just games that come out in that short time period that matter.

GTA4 (with exclusive shit) + Halo 3 + lower price for the system

>

GTA4 + MGS4 + higher price for the system.

Casuals will be considering Halo 3 (and GoW2 probably) well before MGS4.

ShinAmano

Elbrain said:
Seems like a reasonable assumption but never doubt the power of a cheaper product *price* just to get a game you really want.
This...and Ninjas...Ninja Gaiden 2 hits early June...

I will be enjoying:
GTA4 on 360
Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360
MGS4 on PS3

...May and June = awesome months for gaming :D

Top Bottom