• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

JackelZXA

I would've loved that return to Camp Omega. Oh well.

This leak all sounds really interesting, and it feels like ps360 being a catalyst to features being lost....is totally believable. The okb zero lab seems like it makes a lot more sense than the jeep ride we got where skull face feels like a chuck e cheese robot that went into an idle state when the song kicked in. If that really was the case, I wonder if, hypothetically, they tried other avenues to reduce the load of the ps360 versions and weren't able to? In hindsight, assuming this was true, I wonder if having another team make a completely different game that follows the same story outline would have benefited the main game. (or maybe this is just an elaborate ruse by a clever poster?)

J.EM1

My dream Camp Omega mission would've been returning to retrieve intel and as Venom is about to extract, Skullface appears one last time for a boss fight, not just against him but the Skulls as well.

And on that note with the announcement of PS4 Pro, any of you guys think MGSV will benefit from it even without a patch from Konami?

Kindekuma

Banned
And on that note with the announcement of PS4 Pro, any of you guys think MGSV will benefit from it even without a patch from Konami?

I'm very doubtful. Game already runs at 1080p 60FPS locked, a slight resolution bump might not be worth the time and effort to patch in.

JackelZXA

I finally did it. I figured out the Yellow Tapes. They are required to unlock Mission 46 and nothing else. That's the final piece of the Chapter 2 progression puzzle.

For anyone who didn't see it earlier, I'll repost the updated requirements:

Full Chapter 2 Progression Requirements:
  • Beat Mission 32
  • Beat 1 Side Op or 1 Mission
  • Secure the Ai Pod
  • Secure the Man on Fire
  • Beat Mission 35
  • Beat 1 Side Op or 1 Mission
  • The children will not escape unless Eli's Challenge is complete
  • Secure the 5 Escaped Children and beat Mission 38
  • Beat Mission 41
  • Beat 3 Side Ops or 1 Mission
  • Beat Mission 43
  • Beat 6 Side Ops or 2 Missions (or 3 Side Ops and 1 Mission)
  • The Trial, Side Op 150, and Mission 46 will not unlock unless the Stun Arm Blueprint is acquired
  • Side Op 150 won't unlock if you have the Butterfly Emblem equipped
  • Mission 46 won't unlock if you haven't listened to all Yellow Tapes

(Also, some cutscenes and side ops require platforms to beat stage 2 or 3, but you should do that anyways. Eli's Challenge, for example, only unlocks if you get R&D up to level 2)

I finally did it. I figured out the Yellow Tapes. They are required to unlock Mission 46 and nothing else. That's the final piece of the Chapter 2 progression puzzle.

For anyone who didn't see it earlier, I'll repost the updated requirements:

Thank you for this. Bookmarking for future reference!

JackelZXA

Thank you for this. Bookmarking for future reference!

Happy to help!

The next (and final) thing I want to write up on MGSV is a simple guide to progress the entire game in a way that plays all cutscenes (optional, missable, and otherwise in an order that follows the narrative, rather than feeling random) and narrows down the required missions in a streamlined progression. Stuff like how you can skip two missions during chapter 1 and forcibly triggering cutscenes after most missions. (Instead of chapter 1 feeling like a whole bunch of no story. I feel the optional scenes add a bit of character to the growth of mother base)

Anth0ny

Another grail down...

OAkpGJ3.jpg

Always wanted this console + box. The PS3 and color is gorgeous, but my GOD is the OG PS3 massive. This is my first time actually owning one lol.

And, of course, can't go wrong with Shinkawa art.

now to hope the PS4 MGSV bundle does down in price...

Another grail down...

Always wanted this console + box. The PS3 and color is gorgeous, but my GOD is the OG PS3 massive. This is my first time actually owning one lol.

And, of course, can't go wrong with Sugimori art.

now to hope the PS4 MGSV bundle does down in price...

Shinkawa, not Sugimori. You on a Pokémon run lately? :p

I remember trading a 60GB PS2 BC PS3 for that Gunmetal Gray model.

Remember when they were saying stuff like it wasn't just a spray job, that they used actual different materials than the PS3s had for their casing?

Man, MGS4... I remember being at Times Square for that launch at Virgin Megastore. Aki Saito was there helping at the event, I got to tell him that I loved the KojiPro Report (this was when Ryan Payton and him were the hosts on those years leading up to MGS4's release)... Good times.

Kindekuma

Banned
So can someone explain to me Infinite Heaven and what exactly it does? The Nexusmods description doesn't seem to explain much well.

Infinite Heaven is a tool that you use in game which you can change around certain parameters and mix up the gameplay. You can replay any side op you want, replay cutscenes, make any mission an OSP (Subsistence) run, change up mother base, and customize enemy AI.

I could set a mission to where it's entirely OSP, and that guards immediately start out in alert/combat status without having to be caught. You can also set random enemy and vehicle patrols (of any type). Missions can become highly unpredictable, and it's all optional and up to you.

There are also free camera tools, so you can fly around, take screenshots with bonus controls like focal length, depth of field, etc. So it's perfect for screenshots. Also you can warp snake around to wherever you place the camera so if you want to explore out of bounds areas, that's how you do it.

I have it installed, and my favorite features are: Free camera tools, random helicopter patrols, and Pequod to set marker (You can call Pequod to fly around to the other side of the map if you want, it opens you up to being fired at, but far faster when you want to tackle side ops on the other side of a map).

Y'know, I'm wondering.

Wonder what happened to that word going around that Kojima was going to go to 5PB after leaving Konami and go back to making Visual Novels again like he did before Konami permanently reassigned him to milking Metal Gear.

Was that just some stupid rumor or did that fall through because Sony offered him the money to build his own studio instead?

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Question: when and why did mgs: v become online only?! And is there a way to try it off?

Edit: hey I was first with dumb question!!!!
V
V
V

PillarEN

Stupid question time:

Replaying MGS2. Trying to grab some dog tags here and there. Is it possible to hold up the soldiers and not shoot them? I hold them up from behind. Put my gun down. Bring it out to get in front of them, get them to give me the tag but if I put my gun down again them they attack me. So is it mandatory that I put them to sleep or kill them? Not a big deal but I'm trying to play as least lethally as I can. I've played about an hour on the tanker and so far have been putting my tag victims to sleep to ensure my safety but I was curious if I have to do so to protect myself.

NoFoX

Stupid question time:

Replaying MGS2. Trying to grab some dog tags here and there. Is it possible to hold up the soldiers and not shoot them? I hold them up from behind. Put my gun down. Bring it out to get in front of them, get them to give me the tag but if I put my gun down again them they attack me. So is it mandatory that I put them to sleep or kill them? Not a big deal but I'm trying to play as least lethally as I can. I've played about an hour on the tanker and so far have been putting my tag victims to sleep to ensure my safety but I was curious if I have to do so to protect myself.

Release square carfeully to take down your weapon.
It's an analog button.

Infinite Heaven is a tool that you use in game which you can change around certain parameters and mix up the gameplay. You can replay any side op you want, replay cutscenes, make any mission an OSP (Subsistence) run, change up mother base, and customize enemy AI.

I could set a mission to where it's entirely OSP, and that guards immediately start out in alert/combat status without having to be caught. You can also set random enemy and vehicle patrols (of any type). Missions can become highly unpredictable, and it's all optional and up to you.

There are also free camera tools, so you can fly around, take screenshots with bonus controls like focal length, depth of field, etc. So it's perfect for screenshots. Also you can warp snake around to wherever you place the camera so if you want to explore out of bounds areas, that's how you do it.

I have it installed, and my favorite features are: Free camera tools, random helicopter patrols, and Pequod to set marker (You can call Pequod to fly around to the other side of the map if you want, it opens you up to being fired at, but far faster when you want to tackle side ops on the other side of a map).

man this stuff you just mentioned, along with putting in the hardcore mod (enemy eyesight and hearing is raised by 50%) would make the game infinitely replayable

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Stupid question time:

Not mandatory to do that at all (tho its ideal to put them to sleep since they will radio in a Caution if you leave them for too long). You can let your gun down without unequipping it by slowly letting your thumb off of square. If you let it off fast you'll shoot. You can also keep your gun up while moving around at the same time by holding L1. This can be useful when you want to run and shoot simultaneously.

I've played MGS2 to 100% multiple times so please ask questions here if you need help about dog tags or vr missions or Big Boss rank or WHATEVER! Just as a general tip you don't need 100% dog tag completion for the trophies. You just need most of them lol. And Euro Extreme has no dog tags.

PillarEN

Aiming and moving is possible? Argh! Why did I not know this? Well at least I know to use the d-pad in MGS3.

Oh and someone should answer M1nion's question. I kinda cut in front of him lol.

Kindekuma

Banned
Death Stranding confirmed open world and is now in full production. How does OuterGAF feel about open world again? Would you guys want something linear like his past games, or stick with sandbox/open world type?

AAMARMO

Banned
Death Stranding confirmed open world and is now in full production. How does OuterGAF feel about open world again? Would you guys want something linear like his past games, or stick with sandbox/open world type?

Hopefully more landmarks and towns that are GZ size.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I'm happy to take whatever Kojima conjures up and make my decision on whether it's good or not after I see it in action,

Hello! Long time no see!

I got a question. I know that TPP and GZ don't supported custom music on PS4 but since time passed by did Konami gave us the feature which is available on PS3.
I want the song about big butts playing in my chopper!

Kindekuma

Banned
Hello! Long time no see!

I got a question. I know that TPP and GZ don't supported custom music on PS4 but since time passed by did Konami gave us the feature which is available on PS3.
I want the song about big butts playing in my chopper!

I don't know about that one, but I can provide you with this.

Also Metal Gear Survive will have a gameplay demonstration at TGS on the 17th. Way sooner than I thought, then I realized they already had GZ/TPP and MGO3 to build from.

Speaking of MGO3, I had an idea of a stand alone game instead of Survive. What if Konami made a game involving CO-OP missions like Peace Walker, but in more sandbox type mission areas like the MGO3 maps/Camp Omega. Call it Metal Gear: Outer Ops, have it take place along side V, whatever. Being deployed to various areas and maps within Afghanistan/Africa. POW rescues, base take overs, group perfect stealth missions, rival groups trying to secure a prisoner, etc.

JackelZXA

Konami's running a live stream for handheld and console games at tgs. Just showed off some waifu car transformation game for Vita, Metal Gear Survive is in 5 hours...weren't Konami leaving games?

Real Talk: the thing about Konami leaving games and abandoning the fox engine all came from a us employee after kojima productions L.A. shut down iirc. Kojima DID leave the company, likely due to backstage drama with the higher ups, but I think that all this other stuff we're getting shown is like....Konami never intended to leave games and kept making games, they just wanted to get rid of Kojima because of something we'll never be aware of...but they're...still just making games.

Maybe things are mostly fine??? I'm not too worried anymore. I'll probably get a game I enjoy at some point, instead of never. Maybe that Kojima Productions L.A. Employee was just really bitter and just...lied to the internet??? I dunno. I'm too busy watching VIDEOGAMES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Mt-gEEHzs

Just saw the Metal Gear Survive gameplay demo, it looks unbelievably similar to MGSV lol, so lazy, it literally looked like they were roaming in Afghanistan as an MGO character. I mean the crafting of defense walls looked pretty cool, and also the ability to cure yourself MGS3 style. I guess the familiar feel is not all bad given how fun MGSV is to play, but no way would you pay full price for that, it's pretty shocking (but not surprising) that it's being released as a new game rather then as a DLC.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Just saw the Metal Gear Survive gameplay demo, it looks unbelievably similar to MGSV lol, so lazy, it literally looked like they were roaming in Afghanistan as an MGO character. I mean the crafting of defense walls looked pretty cool, and also the ability to cure yourself MGS3 style. I guess the familiar feel is not all bad given how fun MGSV is to play, but no way would you pay full price for that, it's pretty shocking (but not surprising) that it's being released as a new game rather then as a DLC.
It's $30.

Watching metal gear survive demo. Ughhhh depressing as hell to see that buttery smooth game play wasted on a game like this. As much as I hate Konami for the Kojima shit, if they had simply made mgsv.5 I definitely wouldn't have had the will to resist buying it. Especially considering all the cut ideas and content that would be perfect for an interactive sequel. Be the real big boss building fox hound in the the US while simultaneously building outer heaven in secret. With ps4/Xbox only improvements like more wildlife and more things going on. Interactive npcs at your own bases instead of tapes. Man that would have gone a long way to heal some wounds. This just digs the knife in

JackelZXA

Watching metal gear survive demo. Ughhhh depressing as hell to see that buttery smooth game play wasted on a game like this. As much as I hate Konami for the Kojima shit, if they had simply made mgsv.5 I definitely wouldn't have had the will to resist buying it. Especially considering all the cut ideas and content that would be perfect for an interactive sequel. Be the real big boss building fox hound in the the US while simultaneously building outer heaven in secret. With ps4/Xbox only improvements like more wildlife and more things going on. Interactive npcs at your own bases instead of tapes. Man that would have gone a long way to heal some wounds. This just digs the knife in

Honestly don't worry too much about this game, it's kind of just a side thing like the bonus modes in previous rereleases, only stretched out to a full retail product instead. this just reinforces that konami isn't leaving games (They also announced abunch of Vita games during the event). It means other deals are possible now. We might get David Hayter back in as Snake, we might get Revengence 2, we might get Snake in the NX version of Smash Bros, we might get other brands that we assumed were off to pachinko hell back as real games. I've heard Konami's pachinko brand is shrinking and seeing them reinforce games makes me at least 10% more optimistic than I was a year ago (0%)

The left behind team is going to keep making metal gear (alot of them I think are guys that Kojima intended to take over MGS while he worked on other projects, and the lead on this was the lead on the failed version of rising and worked on other projects all the way back to MGS1) and I'm at least interested to see what happens if they attempt a big story focused metal gear game down the line. Maybe they'll play it save and just do remakes of MGS 1-4 in the FOX engine? That would be an interesting direction for a Kojima-less studio.

Lynx_7

If they give that WW2 The Boss game a shot I'll be way too tempted to buy it. Same for MGS 1-3 remakes, specially 3 (4 doesn't need one, honestly). But I suspect MGS is going to be significantly lower budget now that Kojima is gone. Iterative games like Metal Gear Survive are going to be norm from now on, and they'll have much shorter development cycles. I'm really not expecting Konami to do anything ambitious with the franchise anymore so I'm prepared for it to become increasingly less relevant.

PillarEN

It's me again. Playing through MGS3 for the first time (I gave it an hour many years ago).

Just had a little question about the section during the Snake Eater mission where you pass the electric fence and a dog is sitting keeping watch. To get out of that area you need to pass through an opening guarded by two guards. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to distract both of them without getting detected. One, sure. But not both. Eventually that section turned into a blood bath for me.

What would have been the optimal non lethal strategy in that part?

I just defeated
the bee guy, The Pain

NoFoX

It's me again. Playing through MGS3 for the first time (I gave it an hour many years ago).

Just had a little question about the section during the Snake Eater mission where you pass the electric fence and a dog is sitting keeping watch. To get out of that area you need to pass through an opening guarded by two guards. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to distract both of them without getting detected. One, sure. But not both. Eventually that section turned into a blood bath for me.

I just defeated
the bee guy, The Pain

Tranq headshot both of them.
The one remaining will recognize it and than you can headshot him too.

PillarEN

Tranq headshot both of them.
The one remaining will recognize it and than you can headshot him too.

I see. So that section calls for a less conservative approach altogether. My fear was that if I killed or tranqued one of them the other would notice and call for help. In reality it's a necessary risk. Funny thing though is that I saw that toy frog in that section and didn't know what it was. I saw another toy frog in a further section and shot it. Obviously it makes noise. Maybe in the section with the two guards I could have gotten one to go check out the frog noise, tranq him by the frog and then tranq the guard by the exit without the risk of having an immediate partner near by.

NoFoX

The frog is "Kerotan".

There are 64 overall hidden in the game.
You can shoot all of them (tranq or leathel) and you'll get the stealth-camou at the end of the game.

PillarEN

Had a long struggle with the outside of the warehouse with 3 guards (after the cutscene with the wheelchair guy) because my suppressor on the tranquilizer was only good for one shot. That section is basically impossible for me if I was to sneak up on all 3 guards. I tried and failed like 20 times haha. So I saw a video and it blew my mind that to get a pinpoint accurate tranq shot from a far distance, you must equip binoculars press L2 and then hold R1 to keep the exact camera angle you had and then select none in the item section to forcefully unequip the binoculars while being able to stay in first person. Now you can keep your aim and fire away. 3 headshots like you were sniping.

I'm sure you MGS veterans probably knew such tricks but it seems I'm always learning something new and wanted to share with those of you that maybe never tried this technique.

Is there some way to manipulate which side missions are available to replay? I've done them all, but there's one in particular that I'd like to replay (for farming purposes). I've done the existing side op available in that region, but it seems to only swap between two missions in that region rather than going through all of them.

Edit: nevermind, other side ops did begin showing up for that region eventually. I was just unlucky getting ABABACDE pattern ;)

PillarEN

Finished MGS3 tonight. That game keeps on going and going. Just when I thought I was close to the end another thing happens. Kinda like RE4 in that respect. Being my first playthrough I committed many mistakes but even so, I'm certain this game is like twice the length of MGS2 and like 3 or 4 times the length of MGS1. On to MGS4 after a short break from this series. I'm going to do a LTTP for the 4 MGS games. Maybe add Peace Walker into it as well depending if I get to it this year.

I find it funny that Kojima planned the whole Venom thing as a thanks for playing for the fans but it did the exact opposite to me. That twist made me wish I never had played the series in the first place.

Such a fucking stupid idea and a horrible way to end the series.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Easy: from afar, you tranq the guards in the head and then the dogs. All in first person view, of course. When you practice a lot, you'll get really good at quickly aiming.

Had a long struggle with the outside of the warehouse with 3 guards (after the cutscene with the wheelchair guy) because my suppressor on the tranquilizer was only good for one shot. That section is basically impossible for me if I was to sneak up on all 3 guards. I tried and failed like 20 times haha. So I saw a video and it blew my mind that to get a pinpoint accurate tranq shot from a far distance, you must equip binoculars press L2 and then hold R1 to keep the exact camera angle you had and then select none in the item section to forcefully unequip the binoculars while being able to stay in first person. Now you can keep your aim and fire away. 3 headshots like you were sniping.

That certainly is a trick you can do, but it's not necessary. You can aim normally and still get pinpoint accurate tranq shots. Another thing you could have done is gotten another tranq suppressor in a nearby optional side area. Ponizovje West, which you can enter before you go to the warehouse exterior. It's also an area where you can get the sniper rifle early.

I'm certain this game is like twice the length of MGS2

MGS2 and MGS3 are pretty similar length :p

Hope I'm not being condescending lol just pointing stuff out.

Top Bottom