• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

Coreda

A licensed OST would be the bees knees but that ain't going to happen. It's a shame as the game also tweaks the audio processing of the music, so the versions heard on Youtube which are just the vanilla originals don't sound the same (some even get the wrong versions, too, like Rebel Yell).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You guys talking about the MGSV soundtrack reminds me of the MGSV main theme.

That was never used in the game aside from being a cassette.

Imagine if we got a proper MGS2/3 style intro set to that. Keep that music open in a tab and put this video on muted.

HNNNGH

ijQeFqy.gif

PillarEN

Playing MGS4 now. I'm in Act 2, just after meeting Drebin there. Had little question about the story up to this point so I'll spoiler tag.

The war in the middle east and this one in south america is just a random war in which Liquid is simply taking part in on behalf of the Patriots? Or are these conflicts started by Liquid and his PMCs on behalf of the Patriots? I may have missed this in a cutscene or codec because there is always so much info being given and a lot of it is military lingo so it takes me a bit to absorb it or make sense of things when we flip between military talk and normal people talk.

At least up to this point in the game it sounds like the Patriots are creating war for the sake of creating war because they make money off of it. The war industry aspect which the game keeps bringing up. So I take it the Patriots are the cause of the conflict in the middle east and in South America. It's just hard to know if that's the case cause the Rebels in both these areas aren't really fleshed out in any way so I don't understand what they are fighting for as it doesn't seem like the country is fighting with no national army in either of these regions. They have no army? War has changed, sure but what exactly are the rebels fighting for? A regime? Land? I don't really understand why there is conflict? Am I supposed to think that the Patriots come and say "we are taking over this country" and armies give up immediately so random rebels stand up? Or people go "oh shit some non-natives are in this country and shooting, so we should call ourselves rebels and shoot back"?

I don't get it man.

Also Rose and Campbell. Haha. I was not expecting that. I actually kinda forgot what Rose was doing before she took up this psychology job. Was she CIA or something in MGS2?No no. I remember now, she was working for the Patriots but fell for Raiden.
Edit: Oh and she was a data analyst at the Pentagon. Right. That would explain why it wasn't too weird to bring her on board in MGS2 as the mission analyst.

Skullface

Playing MGS4 now. I'm in Act 2, just after meeting Drebin there. Had little question about the story up to this point so I'll spoiler tag.

The war in the middle east and this one in south america is just a random war in which Liquid is simply taking part in on behalf of the Patriots? Or are these conflicts started by Liquid and his PMCs on behalf of the Patriots? I may have missed this in a cutscene or codec because there is always so much info being given and a lot of it is military lingo so it takes me a bit to absorb it or make sense of things when we flip between military talk and normal people talk.

At least up to this point in the game it sounds like the Patriots are creating war for the sake of creating war because they make money off of it. The war industry aspect which the game keeps bringing up. So I take it the Patriots are the cause of the conflict in the middle east and in South America. It's just hard to know if that's the case cause the Rebels in both these areas aren't really fleshed out in any way so I don't understand what they are fighting for as it doesn't seem like the country is fighting with no national army in either of these regions. They have no army? War has changed, sure but what exactly are the rebels fighting for? A regime? Land? I don't really understand why there is conflict? Am I supposed to think that the Patriots come and say "we are taking over this country" and armies give up immediately so random rebels stand up? Or people go "oh shit some non-natives are in this country and shooting, so we should call ourselves rebels and shoot back"?

I don't get it man.

Also Rose and Campbell. Haha. I was not expecting that. I actually kinda forgot what Rose was doing before she took up this psychology job. Was she CIA or something in MGS2?No no. I remember now, she was working for the Patriots but fell for Raiden.
Edit: Oh and she was a data analyst at the Pentagon. Right. That would explain why it wasn't too weird to bring her on board in MGS2 as the mission analyst.

This shouldn't be much of a spoiler. Its been about 2 years since my last playthrough, so I'm a bit rusty. But from what I recall, the PMCs are hired by governments. So natural conflicts occur, and the PMCs fight in place of government armies. There isn't much background given as to the politics behind these conflicts. But of the two places in the world, South America and the Middle East are probably the two least in need of explination. Rising continues this tradition, but politics are an important aspect of at least some of the story.

RIP MGS ;_;

Just want to say its been an honour boys. I remember spending damn near 3 years here, lurking for updates, becoming a member, having fun, shit posting. I honestly miss those days. Damn you Konami! Here's hoping for Survival <.< >.>

PillarEN

Act 3. Pretty ho him for the most part. Once I got a hold of how to approach the beauty/beast that was the only good gameplay part. Definitely the weakest Metal Gear moment of the 4 Solid games. But that cutscene at the end of it all. All the feels.
Big Boss :( . EVA ;_; . I thought we almost lost Meryl for a moment too. Just brutal. Big Boss and EVA were such a great duo in MGS3 and Liquid gives them such dishonorable deaths. It's all so sad. I mean the status of Big Boss was already pathetic but that's no way to treat a legend regardless of their mental state.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Are MGSV load times better on the PS4 than PS3? Does installing the game help? I never do that lol.

Roni

Gold Member
With MGSV's anniversary recently going by, I've been thinking about the game a lot again. Which leads me to think about the franchise as a whole, with Metal Gear Survive being recently announced, and the backlash it received, I got to thinking: what kind of spin-off titles could Konami pull off without pissing on the entire franchise?

I, for one, would be interested in a Metal Gear game all about, well, Metal Gears...

I mean a game in which piloting Metal Gears is the main attraction: each having their own mechanics and abilities based on their iconic design. And I don't just mean something akin to the simplistic controls given to us in MGS4.

Its story wouldn't have to follow the same format of the Tactical Espionage series, its cast could be completely new. We'd just be focusing on combat scenarios where Metal Gears are deployed and you're the pilot!

Any other ideas?

BadWolf

With MGSV's anniversary recently going by, I've been thinking about the game a lot again. Which leads me to think about the franchise as a whole, with Metal Gear Survive being recently announced, and the backlash it received, I got to thinking: what kind of spin-off titles could Konami pull off without pissing off the entire franchise?

Tbh the best thing they can do is hire PG to make Rising 2.

Would put them in good books with a lot of fans.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I got to thinking: what kind of spin-off titles could Konami pull off without pissing on the entire franchise?

You know Ghost Recon: Wildlands? That in the MG universe and Fox Engine.

Edit: Badwolf, I totally agree.

Other than that, I honestly don't know why they don't just jettison the baggage, leave the Kojima saga alone, and do a reboot with their own spin on certain key events and characters. Just start with a rookie soldier infiltrating a base housing a Metal Gear and go from there.

PillarEN

Finished MGS4. Holy moly is the finality of the last act very anime. Gonna need to rewatch some cutscenes/read a story summary to help piece together some of the pieces here. The cutscene after the credits start to roll has me a little confused with the Foxdie situation and how it related to the deaths of certain characters (I'm guessing it was simply contagious to those selected by the Patriot AI? ). I always heard about how this game retconned the series. I'm probably too dumb and confused at what's going on half of the time that I didn't even register what the retcon was. Heck I can't even recall what the motivation was of MGS2 in terms of how it leads up to MGS4. Part of being that unlike movies you spend a long time with games and if the gameplay takes a week or more things from the start just start to be forgotten.

So yeah. I'll have to re-look some parts on the internet to realize what happened and why.

If I had to rank the OG quadrilogy I'd say from best to worst it goes MGS3>MGS2>MGS1>MGS4. Act 3 in MGS4 really is bogus most of the time. Barely better than a Barbie stealth section that my sister had on the PC years ago. Sorry, but it's just bad. I can't really explain it but I also enjoyed the gameplay more in 2 and 3. The boss fights in 4 are good for the most part but even here I would probably put them worse than the rest of the series. I mean the final fisticuffs is memorable. Crying Octopus is clever, Crying Wolf is damn good though The End is still the king and Sniper Wolf brings a lot more actual emotion. Thanks for giving me the sob stories Drebin, but nothing matches MGS1 bosses giving you their own tales on their deathbeds. Screaming Mantis plays her part well. Frustrating me just like Psycho did back in the first game. But she will probably be a bit dull on a second playthrough because the execution is secondary to the intial thought process of understanding her weakness. Raging Raven, the weakest of the 4 Beauties. Vamp fight can't match MGS2s. That really has to do with the stage though. Fighting in REX was neat though.

I don't want to come off as negative. I liked the experience and the melodramatics on Outer Haven made me a little teary eyed (yes even the Meryl parts with Johnny. I couldn't believe he was a butt out failure from MGS1 hahahah). Overall though MGS4 comes in last from the 4 Solid games (not counting 5 which I can't play at this time and consider an afterthought in terms of story even though Kojima put in the work)

-Deimos

Finished MGS4. Holy moly is the finality of the last act very anime. Gonna need to rewatch some cutscenes/read a story summary to help piece together some of the pieces here. The cutscene after the credits start to roll has me a little confused with the Foxdie situation and how it related to the deaths of certain characters (I'm guessing it was simply contagious to those selected by the Patriot AI? ). I always heard about how this game retconned the series. I'm probably too dumb and confused at what's going on half of the time that I didn't even register what the retcon was. Heck I can't even recall what the motivation was of MGS2 in terms of how it leads up to MGS4. Part of being that unlike movies you spend a long time with games and if the gameplay takes a week or more things from the start just start to be forgotten.

So yeah. I'll have to re-look some parts on the internet to realize what happened and why.

If I had to rank the OG quadrilogy I'd say from best to worst it goes MGS3>MGS2>MGS1>MGS4. Act 3 in MGS4 really is bogus most of the time. Barely better than a Barbie stealth section that my sister had on the PC years ago. Sorry, but it's just bad. I can't really explain it but I also enjoyed the gameplay more in 2 and 3. The boss fights in 4 are good for the most part but even here I would probably put them worse than the rest of the series. I mean the final fisticuffs is memorable. Crying Octopus is clever, Crying Wolf is damn good though The End is still the king and Sniper Wolf brings a lot more actual emotion. Thanks for giving me the sob stories Drebin, but nothing matches MGS1 bosses giving you their own tales on their deathbeds. Screaming Mantis plays her part well. Frustrating me just like Psycho did back in the first game. But she will probably be a bit dull on a second playthrough because the execution is secondary to the intial thought process of understanding her weakness. Raging Raven, the weakest of the 4 Beauties. Vamp fight can't match MGS2s. That really has to do with the stage though. Fighting in REX was neat though.

I don't want to come off as negative. I liked the experience and the melodramatics on Outer Haven made me a little teary eyed (yes even the Meryl parts with Johnny. I couldn't believe he was a butt out failure from MGS1 hahahah). Overall though MGS4 comes in last from the 4 Solid games (not counting 5 which I can't play at this time and consider an afterthought in terms of story even though Kojima put in the work)

I don't think MGS4 made any major retcons, if any. People just like shitting on it in any way possible.

I've been going through MGS V again for the S ranks and I forget how consistently bad I am at the games.

Makes me miss the hell out of dogtag collecting, you gotta intimately know where your dudes are which just adds to the experience. Instead everyone's got full armor and D Horse is constantly falling over and Vs so red from death.

But i love it.

Erigu

I'd also like to know how the (DLC) special staff members show up (if at all) for those who had the original version of the game but didn't have all those special staff members already.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
Hi all!

I've been working on a sort of 'Principia Kojima' / MGS analysis series for the last year or so. It's called DNA, or Diamonds and Ashes. The most recent episode is, IMO, the best yet, so I thought; why not share it with GAF! You can check it out here.

Just to give you all an idea of what you're in for:

a. The series is, on both macro and micro levels, full of homages to Kojima and the MGS series as a whole. It's gotten flack for being hard to follow, which can be chalked up as much to my, admitted, inexperience and pretentiousness. The most recent episode is an attempt at an easier to follow structure. If the earlier ones are somewhat harder to follow, my apologies!

b. I tried to weave in the themes and over-arching ideas of MGS into the very fabric of the series, with special focus on MGSV in particular. As such, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation. In the current volume, I'm rolling through a "pseudo-historical recreation" of the 20th Century as relating to Metal Gear - again, apologies if this seems way up my own ass. Personally speaking, I find direct, monologue heavy analysis videos on youtube boring and a dime a dozen, so I went out on a (phantom) limb for this project.

c. I may have to do some more direct discussion and analysis pretty soon, since the kind folks at reddit seem to pretty much hate what I've done so far. That being said, with DNA I'm trying to contribute something unique to the medium of video game criticism - if that isn't terribly megalomaniacal.

Hope you guys enjoy.

To give a quick rundown of some of the broader themes DNA has, is, or will cover:
i. "There are no facts, only interpretations"
ii. The transition from World War I and II into the era of nuclear proliferation and terrorism.
iii. "words can kill"
iv. 'The times', as determined by geopolitics and US hegemony in particular
v. Wars without end

And finally, I'm also trying to sculpt a 100% comprehensive timeline, discuss connections to lit and cinema, and give the best reading I can to the more controversial aspects of MGSV (Quiet, the 'lack of an ending', the non-traditional structure and narrative style, etc).

Sorry for the wall o' text, and thanks again!

Xieldos

Hope this is ok to share but I actually got the chance to sit down and interview Stefanie Joosten for my own site and I thought you guys in here would appreciate it.

She talks about the auditions for the role, working with Hideo Kojima and her other projects. Certainly isn't any major news in there but I enjoyed doing it nonetheless :)

deim0s

I'd also like to know how the (DLC) special staff members show up (if at all) for those who had the original version of the game but didn't have all those special staff members already.

The dlc special staff will be added in time or something like that, i skipped most of the notices.

Kindekuma

Banned
Sooo. I know this is pretty much port begging, but I definitely want to see a MGSV port for Nintendo Switch. Or at least MG:Survive. While I know this probably won't happen, being able to take the game on the go, and switch it over to TV mode would be fanTASTIC.

I seriously wonder what it would take engine wise to make it happen. Some UI changes to match button faces at least.

Javin98

Banned
Sooo. I know this is pretty much port begging, but I definitely want to see a MGSV port for Nintendo Switch. Or at least MG:Survive. While I know this won't happen, being able to take the game on the go, and switch it over to TV mode would be fanTASTIC.

I seriously wonder what it would take engine wise to make it happen. Some UI changes to match button faces at least.
Considering that there are PS3 and 360 versions of MGSV, it's definitely possible, technically. I'd say it's more if Konami actually wants to release the game on the Switch.

Sooo. I know this is pretty much port begging, but I definitely want to see a MGSV port for Nintendo Switch. Or at least MG:Survive. While I know this won't happen, being able to take the game on the go, and switch it over to TV mode would be fanTASTIC.

One would think MGSV and the Switch are a match made in Heaven. We'll see. I'm hopeful that it gets ported. Being able to play it on the go so seamlessly would probably catapult TPP from least favorite MGS to the top of the pack for me.

strafer

I'm sure Konami will milk the shit out of the franchise now.

Kindekuma

Banned
Considering that there are PS3 and 360 versions of MGSV, it's definitely possible, technically. I'd say it's more if Konami actually wants to release the game on the Switch.

Honestly they should. Since the Switch was marketed in the promo video to players in their 20's/30's, MGSV fits the demographic. Konami is on the list of 3rd party support for switch (as per usual).

The only major issue is the access to online features. I'm sure they'll want players to be online for FOBs, MGO3, etc. Taking the Switch on the go would compromise the established connectivity of the system.

J.EM1

So I picked up MGSV: TDE along with Uncharted 4 and COD: IW as part of Target's buy 2 get 1 free sale.

Didn't need to get it but the MGS collector/OCD in me told me to. :p

Yeah not just for the series but in general.

Don't think I've see this big a jump forward for gameplay since RE4.

Yh no doubt, games are pretty great these days (mechanically speaking), but something about TPP, I really don't see anything close to it.
Im not just talking about the gameplay but I agree on that point.

And Mission 43 still kills me. Bravo Kojima, bravo.

I'm not sure whether it's my favourite MGS I find it too hard to decide on one, I think I've found one but then remember segments from other MGS's and change my mind again lol. Now that the dust has settled with TPP, I'm sure people will give it a lot more credit then they did so initially.

Top Bottom