• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, after watching the Giant Bomb quick look... why does the MGS2 cutscenes look like crap? And is MGS3 the same?

GrayFoxPL

Nuclear Muffin said:
No specific part is affected in particular, but of course you'll get a worse experience overall since it runs slower.

No, some PAL games were optimized like MGS, it doesn't run slower and image isn't squished.

Branson

Yoshichan said:
Wait, after watching the Giant Bomb quick look... why does the MGS2 cutscenes look like crap? And is MGS3 the same?
What do you mean? They look fine on my game? They are even full screen which looks great.

Ridley327

RedSwirl said:
What's the online community like for Peace Walker so far?
Filled to the brim with people who have no idea how to play the game!

It seems like the Japanese players aren't too interested in the trophies, as most of the ones I've seen have imported their save files and show up with ridiculous equipment.

Desmond

Ridley327 said:
Filled to the brim with people who have no idea how to play the game!

It seems like the Japanese players aren't too interested in the trophies, as most of the ones I've seen have imported their save files and show up with ridiculous equipment.
Is there matchmaking for co-op and versus? Or just partying-up?

Ridley327 said:
That one really unsettled me back in 2001. I was not expecting anything that graphic.
You refer to the brain pulp. I don't think anyone ones. First (and last) time they were that graphic. It reminds me of how surprised I was to see Gannon spurt up red blood in Ocarina of Time.

Natty1

Desmond said:
Rewatching some MGS2 cutscenes.
I honestly don't remember Olga's death being so violent

It probably should have been more violent, if I remember correctly Solidus used explosive rounds in his P90.

izakq

Desmond said:
Rewatching some MGS2 cutscenes.
I honestly don't remember Olga's death being so violent

Same here. There's lots of stuff that I don't remember happening as if I'm seeing it for the very first time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
VIDEO COMPARISON BETWEEN HD AND PS2 CODEC LOADING TIMES

There is definitely a delay. I'll make another comparison at Arsenal and another for MGS3 (which is more a delay of bringing up the menu, not when the codec prompts you to answer)

Natty1 said:
It probably should have been more violent, if I remember correctly Solidus used explosive rounds in his P90.

It goes pretty much straight through the skull as you see blood coming out the back. Even if it was explosive I don't think it'd blow the head up haha because it just pierced right through.

Just got my copy!

MGS3 looks so good it broke my camera! As soon as I took the first pic the camera just died...60fps, 5.1 and the pristine image quality make MGS3 look superb.

Peace Walker also looks and plays amazingly.

Last but not least MGS2, my most played Metal Gear game next to MGS1, also looks amazing, the 5.1 mix of the tanker is breathtaking.

jooso

Thinking of buying this collection... But I have never played any Metal Gears. Does MGS2s story make any sense without playing the first MGS?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Wait, what? The rain still looks awesome. I'll have to compare the two to see if they've been modified, but it didn't stand out.
It could be that they ported the PC version of MGS2, it would make quite a bit of sense really.

On the very first tanker scene where you can control Snake, I did think that the water sliding down from the top of the ship when the wind blows into that direction, looked kinda on the skimpy side compared to what I remember. Other than that, rain effects looked plentiful, but it wouldn't surprise me now if they're all just as reduced as in the PC version.

survivor

Banned
jooso said:
Thinking of buying this collection... But I have never played any Metal Gears. Does MGS2s story make any sense without playing the first MGS?
I just read the Wikipedia summary of MGS1 and I was able to follow most of the plot points. They bring up Shadow Moses incident a lot in MGS2 so it helps to know what that is.

54-46!

jooso said:
Doesn't make much sense either way, heh.. it's a game you'll need to play two or three to fully understand everything.

But MGS1 is rather short and available on PSN.

B.K.

jooso said:

It's been a while since I played MGS2, but I believe it has a pretty extensive summary of MGS available from one of the menus on the title screen.

Desmond

survivor said:
I just read the Wikipedia summary of MGS1 and I was able to follow most of the plot points. They bring up Shadow Moses incident a lot in MGS2 so it helps to know what that is.
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

PSN got you covered

rvy

Banned
B.K. said:
It's been a while since I played MGS2, but I believe it has a pretty extensive summary of MGS available from one of the menus on the title screen.
"In the Darkness of Shadow Moses". I don't know if it's in the HD Collection, I wold hope so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lord Error said:
It could be that they ported the PC version of MGS2, it would make quite a bit of sense really.

On the very first tanker scene where you can control Snake, I did think that the water sliding down from the top of the ship when the wind blows into that direction, looked kinda on the skimpy side compared to what I remember. Other than that, rain effects looked plentiful, but it wouldn't surprise me now if they're all just as reduced as in the PC version.
I'll have to run a comparison.

The PC version had a lot of issues, though. The most obvious thing was obvious color banding, but there were a lot of subtle changes made to the effects as well. Nothing in this port has slapped me in the face as to suggest it is the PC version. I can't imagine WHY they would bother with the PC version, though, when they already had to port MGS3 from PS2.

From memory, I'd say the rain effect seemed slightly diminished as a result of the higher resolution. The low screen resolution allowed the particles to appear chunkier, but in 1280x720, the individual rain particles appear finer which gives the impression of a lower density. I'll compare myself, though.

Ridley327 said:
RIDLEY'S TOTALLY RELIABLE ASSESSMENTS OF EACH OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES, PART 2:

MGS3

And yet, my thoughts after when I beat the game first time didn't turn to the frustration I encountered. I thought about how much of a thrill it was to turn an early ambush to my favor with nothing more than the appropriate camouflage and an empty gun. I thought about how I managed to defeat a boss at his own game by throwing rotten food at him. I thought back to how the game divides both halves, resulting in one of the all-time greatest and bizarre non sequiturs that the game makes you play through. I thought about spending nearly two hours fighting a boss because he hides a lot better than you do, forcing you to use all of the tools at your disposal in order to find him. I thought about escaping confinement with a fork. I thought about the game making me feel very sorry about killing all the guys I did. I thought about wondering how far I could go with the world's most effective handkerchief (answer: very far indeed). I thought what the game did when I decided to see how it would handle me killing one of the characters long before his expiration date. I thought about what the game just made me do in order to complete it. My thoughts crystallized, I had decided I had played one of the greatest games ever made, and one that would go down in history as being truly incomparable.
Been reading through the thread (slow work day...) and I just wanted to commend your write-ups. Good stuff, mate.

This reminded me - this series has always had excellent, memorable bosses for the most part, but with The Sorrow, The End, and The Boss, I really think they outdid themselves.

Datrio

So I'm reading all the comments about the games, the contents of the LE, etc... Since I'm in Europe, I still have some time to decide, but could anyone tell me what's better - playing the HD edition on PS3, or playing it on PCSXe with some bumped up settings?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
From memory, I'd say the rain effect seemed slightly diminished as a result of the higher resolution. The low screen resolution allowed the particles to appear chunkier, but in 1280x720, the individual rain particles appear finer which gives the impression of a lower density.
That's exactly what I thought myself, so I didn't think much of it. it looked impressive any way you cut it, still probably the best looking rain effect in any game I've seen.

survivor

Banned
Desmond said:
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif[IMG]
PSN got you covered[/QUOTE]
I did get that free 5.99 PSN thingy. Maybe I should get MGS1.

dark10x said:
I'll have to run a comparison.

The PC version had a lot of issues, though. The most obvious thing was obvious color banding, but there were a lot of subtle changes made to the effects as well. Nothing in this port has slapped me in the face as to suggest it is the PC version. I can't imagine WHY they would bother with the PC version, though, when they already had to port MGS3 from PS2.

From memory, I'd say the rain effect seemed slightly diminished as a result of the higher resolution. The low screen resolution allowed the particles to appear chunkier, but in 1280x720, the individual rain particles appear finer which gives the impression of a lower density. I'll compare myself, though.

You might want to compare it to the PS2 version emulated via PCSX2 as well...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
survivor said:
I did get that free 5.99 PSN thingy. Maybe I should get MGS1.

You should. Definitely worth playing

Just reading about the plot twist doesn't do justice how well it's pulled off in the game. Probably the best in the series in that regard.

omgkitty

Okay so I think I am confused. Does the PS3 version come with a downloadable copy of Metal Gear Solid for PS1? I feel like it does but I haven't opened my copy yet.

omgkitty

EL Beefo said:
Only in Japan

Ahh okay. I knew someone was getting a code, just couldn't remember where it was. I actually own 2 copies of MGS on PS1, but I am considering just buying it on PSN due to sheer laziness.

Playing Snake Eater now and WTF is up with the 5.1 mix?

Specifically, the rear right channel doesn't exist at all during cutscenes but is just fine during actual gameplay.

Anyone experience this?

EDIT: NVM, got it working.

rvy

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Playing Snake Eater now and WTF is up with the 5.1 mix?

Specifically, the rear right channel doesn't exist at all during cutscenes but is just fine during actual gameplay.

Anyone experience this?
More stuff to be patched. Bluepoint is a shoddy developer.

rvy

Banned
They ain't gonna fix shit, calling it right now. And, please, do not use anything other than the English language:

XvS13.jpg

You will be sucked.

rvy said:
VzVq7.jpg

Gorge Sears, ladies and gentleman. Gorge motherfucking Sears.

What the fuck? How, what?! HOW?!

It doesn't even look like they've upgraded the texture. All they've done is misspelled George!

XvS13.jpg

Wow! This shit is clearly unfinished. Maybe that's why they delayed the EU version...

Either way, I am definately not picking this up now. At this point, I'm just interested in seeing what else they fucked up...

Looking forward to the Silent Hill HD Collection!

rvy

Banned
Shadow780 said:
So I ordered the LE from Gamestop with that coupon, and this is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/Xdyhjl.jpg[IMG]

lol

What should I do here?[/QUOTE]
Keep it... wait, that's the PS3 version. Send it back.

[spoiler]I have yet to notice one bug in MW 3's campaign. And the game runs at higher than 50 fps for the most part. And it wasn't released in 2001, so it should have some problems running at more than 50 fps while blowing shit up at the same time.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Nuclear Muffin]What the fuck? How, what?! HOW?!

It doesn't even look like they've upgraded the texture. All they've done is misspelled George!

Wow! This shit is clearly unfinished. Maybe that's why they delayed the EU version...

Either way, I am definately not picking this up now. At this point, I'm just interested in seeing what else they fucked up...

Looking forward to the Silent Hill HD Collection![/QUOTE]
Who the fuck is George, mang? You crazy.

Top Bottom