• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is the Outer Heaven from Peace Walker the same one Snake infiltrates in Metal Gear? Snake sneaks into that one via harbor the same way Raiden did Big Shell, but you see parked trucks in a few areas on what looks like dirt/grass.

I hope they remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. Sneaking into another Big Shell as Snake fighting Big Boss and the original Metal Gear would be cool.

ScOULaris

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK?!

I just got to the bridge scene in MGS3 where
the Cobra unit takes Sokolov and Snake gets thrown off of the bridge
, and there's no fucking rain falling during the "raining blood" scene! The characters have the rain splatter effect on them, but there's no rain coming down around them.

FIX THIS SHIT BLUEPOINT!!!!

Oyashiro

Called my local indie game shop, they said they're out of the PS3 LE but have some 360 LEs. Said they were probably getting a few more PS3 LEs soon so I'll keep calling.

Yen

Sub_Level said:
Is the Outer Heaven from Peace Walker the same one Snake infiltrates in Metal Gear? Snake sneaks into that one via harbor the same way Raiden did Big Shell, but you see parked trucks in a few areas on what looks like dirt/grass.

I hope they remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. Sneaking into another Big Shell as Snake fighting Big Boss and the original Metal Gear would be cool.
To answer your question in an unspoilery way:
Primarily, Outer Heaven is established as a concept in PW (though Gene suggests something similar in PO). In PW, your base is a bunch of platforms out at sea in South America. So it isn't what Snake infiltrates in MG.
End spoilers:
The post credits phonecall is Big Boss addressing his troops expressing a need for...AN OUTER HEAVEN

Desmond said:
Maybe....Sell it for a good price, then buy MGS on Amazon. Kagari was selling a sealed one for around 140

Called my local store and someone did not pick up their pre-order for the LE so I am on my way to buy that. So in the end I am not loosing out just GameStop is, since the two games are not equal in price like I thought they lost $20 by sending me the wrong game. I just always think of the poor parents getting their 9 to 5 paycheck raped by scalpers in this tough economy just so they can make someone happy for the holidays.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MGS avatars on PSN are up

UVp7O.jpg

Nvp9o.jpg

Ridley327

Oh boy oh boy, I am glad I joined that Peace Walker Custom battle. Now I've got an Infinity Bandana blueprint that I can stare at for a few hours before I have the requirements met.

Ridley327

Otacon's MGS2 art makes him look like such a badass, and then
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yen

Ridley327 said:
Oh boy oh boy, I am glad I joined that Peace Walker Custom battle. Now I've got an Infinity Bandana blueprint that I can stare at for a few hours before I have the requirements met.
[Snakevoice]Infinite ammo?[/Snakevoice]

Ridley327

Peace Walker's bandana is more awesome than usual, since it won't affect your ranking. It makes the 6-skull vehicle battles soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.

Ridley327 said:
Otacon's MGS2 art makes him look like such a badass, and then
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG that was so awkward! I was playing when that part came up with family in the room and their reactions were a mix of lolwtf? and iamdisappoint.

Ridley327

SLEEPS7ALK3R said:
HHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG that was so awkward! I was playing when that part came up with family in the room and their reactions were a mix of lolwtf? and iamdisappoint.
They saddle Christopher Randolph with the absolute worst dramatic moments in the series. He's gotta be some kind of masochist to withstand that stuff.

how frustrating. I was planning on buying the LE for 360 today off Gamestop.com, hoping to get to my next credit card statement, and they sold out. Yesterday they had over 400 copies available. bleh

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
micster said:
Its strange. I think its because Konami are pretty much in limbo on how to release it. Raiden's VO said he did the voice acting for it and retailers listed it for the PSP. But in Japan it was released on DVD and they probably dont think there would be a massive market for it on DVD in the US and EU and the PSP is dead outside of Japan. If they do eventually release it, I expect it to be for the 25th Anniversary next year.

Something to hope for in the future, I guess. I didn't expect a PSP release of Bande Dessinée ever, but I would have though a bonus DVD disk with it would have made the perfect fit for this package.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ridley327 said:
Peace Walker's bandana is more awesome than usual, since it won't affect your ranking. It makes the 6-skull vehicle battles soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.

Wait, calling in supplies affects ranking?

Sallokin

Ridley327 said:
They saddle Christopher Randolph with the absolute worst dramatic moments in the series. He's gotta be some kind of masochist to withstand that stuff.

After some of the stuff in 4, I'm inclined to believe he's a saint for not simply telling them to jump off a bridge when they asked him back. This is coming from someone who loves MGS 4 btw.

Ok, so we have:

Invisible ropes in MGS2
No bugs/lice in MGS2
No rain at bridge in MGS3

I'll add that I saw a grid of dots in the water in MGS2 as Raiden comes out of the water at the start of the plant.

Anything else I should keep my (solid)eye out for?

Ridley327

Brandon F said:
Wait, calling in supplies affects ranking?
No, it doesn't. What I'm getting at is that the Bandana is pretty fucking broken for ranking purposes.

Supply and strike calls don't affect your rankings, but they do lower the amount of heroism that you gain at the end of the mission. Heroism isn't too important for the purposes of the trophies/achievements, but if you want to get your hands on every item and weapon, as well as recruit the best soldiers, you're going to need to get it high.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Same for my brother but apparently some have reported otherwise. I should add the Gorge typo to the list. Shoddy remake it seems.

Strange, I specifically looked when I got to that scene last night and they were there. I wouldn't call it shoddy due to those issues. None of those are game breaking.

Digital-Hero said:
Strange, I specifically looked when I got to that scene last night and they were there. I wouldn't call it shoddy due to those issues. None of those are game breaking.
In that same area with raiden, did you notice the dot grid pattern in the water pool?

While not gamebreaking, it does lessen the "hd" aspect of it. Why would I want a crisper, clearer image of flaws?

rvy

Banned
Digital-Hero said:

shod·dy (shd)
adj. shod·di·er, shod·di·est
1. Made of or containing inferior material.
a. Of poor quality or craft.
b. Rundown; shabby.

What would you call it then? It's pretty shoddy to me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ScOULaris said:
Okay, WHAT THE FUCK?!

I just got to the bridge scene in MGS3 where
the Cobra unit takes Sokolov and Snake gets thrown off of the bridge
, and there's no fucking rain falling during the "raining blood" scene! The characters have the rain splatter effect on them, but there's no rain coming down around them.

FIX THIS SHIT BLUEPOINT!!!!

many issues all over the place,really bad quality porting job here.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok, so we have:

Invisible ropes in MGS2
No bugs/lice in MGS2

I'll add that I saw a grid of dots in the water in MGS2 as Raiden comes out of the water at the start of the plant.

Don't forget the codec delay and the various bouts of slowdown.

Shoddy, just shoddy.

ScOULaris

Okay, seriously though... what can we do about this? We leveraged the power of GAF to get Naughty Dog working on a patch. What are the odds we can do it again for this? I know some people might think we are just nitpicking, but all it would take is one patch to fix up these issues and make this the definitive version of these games that it deserves to be.

ScOULaris said:
Okay, seriously though... what can we do about this? We leveraged the power of GAF to get Naughty Dog working on a patch. What are the odds we can do it again for this? I know some people might think we are just nitpicking, but all it would take is one patch to fix up these issues and make this the definitive version of these games that it deserves to be.

Send KP a message: http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/english/blog_mail.html

It worked with the widescreen issue.

ACB

Neo Member
Picked this up up a few days ago and started playing MGS2 today. Damn, it looks sooo good.

Sucks to hear about the missing effects though, I'm really hoping for a patch. I'm also REALLY disappointed to read about the omission of the nightmare scene in MGS3. That part blew me away back in 2004.

Yenrot said:
You're about the fifth person in the thread to have that done to you :(
I think we're seeing why they closed the preorders for the LE weeks before the release... I'm thinking the idiots over-sold the LE in preorder; they couldn't short change the B&Ms, 'cause the retail managers would shit, so they just substituted CoD HE for MGSHD LE on the 'extra' on-line preorders and called it a day...

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok, so we have:

Invisible ropes in MGS2
No bugs/lice in MGS2
Bugs all over MGS2 on my PS3 Slim...
I just had to spray a shit-load of them away with the coolant to get Emma on the elevator.

Falcs

Banned
Arn't we being a little too nitpicky?
It's already been mentioned before, but I thought that with the missing rain effect it's just because the rain drops are so fine that at a higher resolution they're hardly or not visible. That's the case for me. I noticed the missing rain too but I could see the splatter effect, then I paused the game and bam, there's the rain drops!
I don't know what the deal is with the missing lice though. I guess that's probably worth complaining about. But it's all there for me so... giggidy!! :) - (US version on AUS PAL PS3).

ScOULaris

Falcs00 said:
Arn't we being a little too nitpicky?
It's already been mentioned before, but I thought that with the missing rain effect it's just because the rain drops are so fine that at a higher resolution they're hardly or not visible. That's the case for me. I noticed the missing rain too but I could see the splatter effect, then I paused the game and bam, there's the rain drops!
I don't know what the deal is with the missing lice though. I guess that's probably worth complaining about. But it's all there for me so... giggidy!! :) - (US version on AUS PAL PS3).
Have you gotten to the bridge scene in MGS3 yet? There is no rain whatsoever, and it ruins the scene.

Brandon F

Ridley327 said:
No, it doesn't. What I'm getting at is that the Bandana is pretty fucking broken for ranking purposes.

Supply and strike calls don't affect your rankings, but they do lower the amount of heroism that you gain at the end of the mission. Heroism isn't too important for the purposes of the trophies/achievements, but if you want to get your hands on every item and weapon, as well as recruit the best soldiers, you're going to need to get it high.

Yea, have been wondering what the Heroism stat does. I've gotten a few insignia's in the game as well which give bonus Heroism(Beat 50 missions without setting off alarms! +500 Heroism). Already at the point where I have capped off some of my teams and can only replace current members with higher ranking ones to keep the levels increasing. Looking for good ways to go about that.

Also really unclear as to what designates points in comraderie. I tend to mostly try and 'sync up' with people in co-op missions, but it doesn't seem to add much to that score(achievement requires 20,000 total). Usually I get around 50-85 points per person in each mission. :/

I mostly just need to keep progressing in the plot. Halfway through Act 3, but I keep just doing quick searches for co-op missions when I play. Much more fun.

Brandon F

I still find it funny that people are even bothering with Disc 1.

:whispers:...Peace Walker is the real deal people!

IceCold

I guess I'll only buy this after a major price drop. I don't get why companies always find a way to mess up when doing thess HD remakes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think y'all are so far off the farm at this point. The collection is worth it ALONE for 60 FPS MGS3. Add in PW with playable controls and you have something so so worth it.

Y2Kev said:
I think y'all are so far off the farm at this point. The collection is worth it ALONE for 60 FPS MGS3. Add in PW with playable controls and you have something so so worth it.
It's worth it just so I can play MGS3.

Ridley327

Y2Kev said:
You certainly can't fault the Peace Walker port for being inaccurate; it even slows down in the same spots where the framerate was at its worse on the PSP!

Y2Kev said:

Nah dude, they spelled George wrong.

MGS3 seems to have more missing content than MGS2. MGS2 HD is by far the def version of that game and that all i ever asked for. the other games are just a bonus

Top Bottom