• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yuripaw said:
There are just some problems I have with the game's story/characters after beating it again though.
Even though Solidus is such a bastard, I wish they at least gave him a brain. It never made much sense to me why Solidus still wanted to kill Raiden during the last boss fight. I think if Solidus had any kind of smarts, he would not have given into any sort of desire to kill Raiden just to go against the Patriot's plan. The whole fight feels like it's there just to have a final boss fight.

Solidus wanted to kill Raiden because he has information on the Patriots inside his cerebral cortex. Remember in the torture room where he says Raiden has a high concentration of cerebral implants? Remember on top Arsenal when Fortune tells Solidus that his plan is foiled with GW gone haywire, but Solidus looks at Raiden and says "No...there is another way."

Yuripaw said:
While I was playing it through this time, I paid close attention to the dialogue regarding the Patriots. I remember at the time, the whole game seemed completely off the rails and just a constant "what the fuck" moment, especially when they spoke about the Patriots. I followed it all pretty good, but I came to the conclusion that the final codec conversation that Raiden has with the AI Campbell was...not really necessary. At least in context with the later games it isn't. The AI was making it sound like the Patriots were some kind of weird higher being from the start, when we all know is was Major Zero and crew. I wish I knew if the whole story with the Patriots was Kojima's idea from the start, or if he just made it up as he went along.

This is Metal Gear Solid 4's fault for retroactively disregarding a lot of what was said in that codec conversation, not Metal Gear Solid 2. In the script the AI Raiden is talking to on top Federal Hall is called JFK, another filter program similar to GW, possibly inside another Arsenal. This is not even mentioned in Guns of the Patriots as none of the four major AIs are called JFK. The idea behind the Patriots was found in the original game plan for MGS2 titled METAL GEAR SOLID III (the III representing towers or something, not the number 3)

Yuripaw said:
I am still confused if the Rose talking to you during that codec conversation was the real Rose or not. It was always the things she said there that made me hate her character. It always made me frustrated with the ending, and think "I don't care if that bitch is carrying your baby, she's a fucking bitch and needs to be slapped". She was talking down to Raiden for basically being human. It sounds like it was the real Rose too, because she was bitching about the fact that "you never saw me for who I was" even tho she was deliberately pretending to be someone else. The shit she said just always pissed me off. Made me hate her character more than any of the sappy dialogue that is in earlier parts of the game.

Rose was real the entire game on codec except for the last conversation with JFK using Rose's likeness. Remember that the AI can use any likeness it wants, it quotes both Olga and President Johnson in their actual voices. The Colonel is an AI the entire time. First as GW, then when it goes haywire, as JFK. I'm not sure what you mean by her talking down to Raiden for being human. Throughout their post-save conversations it becomes evident that Raiden has no real character. His room is empty, he has no hobbies, and the only time he's alive is on the battlefield. Rose is understandably upset/worried/curious.

lol @ the amount of spoilers, its like it was censored by the PatLi Lu Le Lo

SamuraiX-

I don't know guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8UQmaaiiM

Watching this video (pretty shitty quality, yeah, but just scale it to 720p) it looks like all the particle effects are still there. Even the rope is in place if you fast-forward to the appropriate cutscene.

No idea where these weird images are coming from.

Edit: Nooooo! EviLore removed stealth editing! D:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
survivor said:
Started playing MGS3 yesterday. I definitely love the ability to switch the two camera views. Plus the introduction of stamina, new radar equipment and the whole survival thing is pretty great.

I have one question about CQC. Is it even possible to sneak behind enemies and grab them before they turn around and notice you? It seems like every time I want to go and choke someone they always turn around at the last second.
Use the d-pad for sneaky sneaking.

Then interrogate them, find out fire support frequencies, cut their throats for insolence and call in an airstrike to take care of their friends.

muahahahaha

Desmond

rvy said:
VzVq7.jpg

Gorge Sears, ladies and gentleman. Gorge motherfucking Sears.
wtfisthisshit.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I know I complained before in this thread but I'm really not enjoying this at all (360 version),controls seems pretty fucked to me,framerate drops,lights/color seems weird sometimes (hope it's not my HDTV dying)AA implementation should be way better,no real polish overall, I think they rushed the ports.

jsnepo

Can somebody take a screenshot of the scene on the cliff overlooking Groznyj Grad? I remember to be blown away by that scene especially that you can actually snipe the guards you can find. I really want to see if the remaster fixes the jaggies in that scene. Also, how's the draw distance for MGS3?

Does anyone know if in the last area of mgs3 does kills by Eva count as your own? I finished the game with 1 kill and I can't remember killing anyone.

Desmond

Ryu bogard said:
Does anyone know if in the last area of mgs3 does kills by Eva count as your own? I finished the game with 1 kill and I can't remember killing anyone.
Did you blow up any munitions sheds? Maybe a guard was caught in the blast

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Just visiting the thread. Went back a few pages. Didn't see a mention.

Anyone else saddened that Portable Ops wasn't included int he collection?

Manus

So does the PS3 version come with a code to get MGS1 on PSN? I could of sworn I heard that they were going to do that, I just didn't see anything in my game case.

iLLmAtlc

Liquidsnake said:
In PW, where is the solider carrying the ID card I need located?

I think it's actually random. You can find him as far as back as the opening area of that stage. You just have to keep backtracking until you find the orange jacket guy.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Retro_ said:
No one at all

Wow.

I liked it. Maybe another release will include it and the AC!D games along with a true update to MGS. Okay. Signing out.

OK so I ordered the Limited Edition from Gamestop while they still had them in stock and finally get the box in the mail and guess what? They sent me F***ing call of duty MW 3 instead!! Rage can't even describe what I am feeling, its the right address and the receipt even says Metal Gear Solid HD on it so there was no mix up. They ran out and sent me Call of Duty so they could charge my card, what a bunch of douche bags, never again Gamestop. I went out on a limb and trusted them even though my better judgement said not to and now I am completely screwed out of getting this.

Yen

TheBanditKing said:
OK so I ordered the Limited Edition from Gamestop while they still had them in stock and finally get the box in the mail and guess what? They sent me F***ing call of duty MW 3 instead!! Rage can't even describe what I am feeling, its the right address and the receipt even says Metal Gear Solid HD on it so there was no mix up. They ran out and sent me Call of Duty so they could charge my card, what a bunch of douche bags, never again Gamestop. I went out on a limb and trusted them even though my better judgement said not to and now I am completely screwed out of getting this.
You're about the fifth person in the thread to have that done to you :(

MechaX

Imbarkus said:
Wow.

I liked it. Maybe another release will include it and the AC!D games along with a true update to MGS. Okay. Signing out.

Portable Ops was the best body dragging simulator I have ever played.

But to be serious, eh. Story-wise it was actually pretty inconsequential (kind of) and I think Peace Walker would have been the thing to choose, as four games to be remastered would have been pretty beefy.

Yenrot said:
You're about the fifth person in the thread to have that done to you :(

Seriously!? That blows! and now I can't even get these f*** tards on the phone, been on hold for an hour........

Its the stupid hardened edition too, further proving they just sent me something of equal value to charge the card.

madmook

TheBanditKing said:
Shit, mine is coming today... hope I won't have to deal with that.

Imbarkus

MechaX said:
Portable Ops was the best body dragging simulator I have ever played.

But to be serious, eh. Story-wise it was actually pretty inconsequential (kind of) and I think Peace Walker would have been the thing to choose, as four games to be remastered would have been pretty beefy.

Very fair point on the body-dragging. I haven't played Peace Walker yet but the Fulton system seems like a great addition. I did enjoy recruiting and customizing my squad, sending them on missions, etc. etc.

I didn't find the story inconsequential. It establishes Roy Campbell, give Frank Jaeger (Gray Fox) his first appearance post-modification in the timeline as Null, and sets up the resources Big Boss will eventually use to build Outer Heaven.

What did Peace Walker retread a lot of this stuff? Wait, don't spoil it for me...

Imbarkus

crashen said:
Well damn, I just received a copy of Call of Duty from Gamestop as well.

Boy, they got some fucking balls, don't they? "Pretty much the same thing, right?" >:{

madmook said:
Shit, mine is coming today... hope I won't have to deal with that.

Finally got through, guy I spoke with said I was the fourth person he personally spoke to that had this happen to them. I wish you the best of luck.

quick consensus guys what should I do with this MW3 Hardened Edition? Return it or sell it my self? I am leaning on return because I hate those people on ebay and Amazon market place who buy games and sell them at a premium to over worked people like us just trying to get "that game" for their kids or relatives.

Imbarkus said:
Very fair point on the body-dragging. I haven't played Peace Walker yet but the Fulton system seems like a great addition. I did enjoy recruiting and customizing my squad, sending them on missions, etc. etc.

The problem there is that PW does it all better. Portable Ops at minimum needs the second analog stick and Fulton to be even remotely playable, but that doesn't fix a lot of the level layouts, mission structures, boss fights, etc. PW is so across the board better it's shocking.

I'd love to see an Ops rebuild but I get the impression it just would take more work than Konami was willing to spend on at the moment (and I'm sure it's budget better-earmarked for a nextgen MGS1 remake, instead.)

crashen

Imbarkus said:
Boy, they got some fucking balls, don't they? "Pretty much the same thing, right?" >:{

Yeah I'm not sure how this could be an honest mistake on their part. Didn't the Modern Warfare Hardened Edition cost more than the MGS LE? Seems like Gamestop would be losing money on this? What a pain in the ass.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Imbarkus said:

I didn't find the story inconsequential. It establishes Roy Campbell, give Frank Jaeger (Gray Fox) his first appearance post-modification in the timeline as Null, and sets up the resources Big Boss will eventually use to build Outer Heaven.

Yeah and this was terrible

MGS4 and PO tag team to force Raiden/Grey Fox parallels that end up making both characters worse than they were

micster

Imbarkus said:
You know, this collection, even if just the LE, would have been the perfect opportunity to go ahead and include a North American release for Metal Gear Solid 2 Bande Dessinée.

How did this not happen?
Its strange. I think its because Konami are pretty much in limbo on how to release it. Raiden's VO said he did the voice acting for it and retailers listed it for the PSP. But in Japan it was released on DVD and they probably dont think there would be a massive market for it on DVD in the US and EU and the PSP is dead outside of Japan. If they do eventually release it, I expect it to be for the 25th Anniversary next year.

Ridley327

So, is anyone far enough along in Peace Walker to do some monster hunting tonight? We should go for S-ranks on those missions since you'll get the special camo if you do. And to do that, we need to tranq the bastards. They have a separate stamina gauge, so you can still interrupt their actions with the occasional rocket if the situation calls for it.

Desmond said:
This GameStop cockup is a disgrace. "Sure give then CoD. Everyone loves CoD."

Agree but what should I do with it? Its the Hardened Edition and I really have half a mind to sell it on Amazon for MSRP just to try and knock the rest of the vultures down in price (damn thing is going for $170+). What say you Gaf?

SamuraiX-

My PS3 LE from GameStop should be arriving today...

TheBanditKing's story has me a little worried. :-/

My advice: if you can't get it exchanged for the MGS HD LE, then yeah, just sell it on eBay or Amazon or something. Then you can use that money to buy all the other ridiculously priced MGS HD LEs floating around. ;P

Splinter

Where is this game priced at $39?

GS is $49.

I want to trade in Battlefield 3 (360) and pick this up, anyone know what the trade in value for BF3 is?

Desmond

TheBanditKing said:
Agree but what should I do with it? Its the Hardened Edition and I really have half a mind to sell it on Amazon for MSRP just to try and knock the rest of the vultures down in price (damn thing is going for $170+). What say you Gaf?
Maybe....Sell it for a good price, then buy MGS on Amazon. Kagari was selling a sealed one for around 140

Top Bottom