• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Website Hints at MGS4 - Peace Walker - Phantom Pain in a Future Volume 2

SCB3

Just for clarity, Portable ops is not canon

The only games that are official canon are games that are written and directed by Hideo Kojima:

Metal Gear
Metal gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ground Zerous & Phantom Pain

Some more autistic detial about what is and isnt canon for those interested

Rising is kinda weird in that its set well after 4 anyway so its light "Non-canon" anyway

GreatnessRD

I don't think y'all understand the tears that will flow if I get MGS4 in Vol 2. Like, y'all just don't understand. The entire catalog added to my Steam library on top of me having all the psychical disk?

SIGN ME UP, KONAMI! DON'T BE STEWWWWWPID!

RAIDEN1

If Portable Ops and MGS 4 is in there, then I might purchase it, anything MGS 5 related is a flop for me, I didn't find the appeal to it compared to MGS 4 etc.....Peace-walker I brought 2 months back but yet to get into it....as I've still to play through my first proper playthrough of MGS3, outside of watching the walkthrough of it many, many years ago...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does this leave them open to a Vol 3 which would include Acid 1 and 2, portable ops and rising?

Anything is possible but those Acid games only have an extremely minor audience, they never really picked up at all.

Kerotan

Anything is possible but those Acid games only have an extremely minor audience, they never really picked up at all.
Yeah it would be more for portable ops and rising. Maybe survive thrown in aswell. They could call it Vol 3 the red headed step child edition.

Seriously though they'd have to knock down the asking price.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

IGN understands this lineup for Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 2 is accurate and has asked Konami for comment.

DampBackIntermediateegret-size_restricted.gif

CamHostage

Just for clarity, Portable ops is not canon

The only games that are official canon are games that are written and directed by Hideo Kojima:

Right, I wasn't clear on that, but PW and GB and obviously ACID and Rising are alternate canon storylines.

Kind of like the Star Wars "Extended /Legacy Universe", it's handy for fans who have followed the franchise to let them work as "headcanon" when they're playing through these games, or even handier, to consider them canon until they have been contradicted by official canon (which likely now will not happen, as any MGS6 will probably not be a prequel, but also not be by Kojima so...) However, it's generally easier and more exact to simply accept that the Kojima-directed games are canon, and those he didn't topline are not canon even if he was involved in the games.

Snake's Revenge (and maybe the NES port of MG1?) are also not canon, so there's a tiny bit of hope for the future of the extended universe in that Konami has put them in this first Master Collection.

Portable ops is the first time that Big Boss envisioned Outer Heaven and had the means to do it.... When you think that way, it becomes way more important from the timeline pov than both of the canonical sequels.

Kojima disdain that game but he copied a fair share of gameplay mechanics on the "official" Big Boss trilogy.

I don't think it's disdain? (Although it's possible he has said in places something derogatory about the franchise being hyperextended beyond his control and that he was able to 'leave all that crap behind...') I think it's simply control in a massive machine that needs some kind of oversight and direction.

Again, like Star Wars, George Lucas had to do the same thing as the brand expanded beyond any one person's control. It makes things manageable to set a hard line. 'This is true, and only this. This other stuff is myth and legend in the ethos of the universe. It may or may not have happened, but take it as not true until something which is true confirms it.'

Maybe it's megalomaniacal, and it does aggravate some fans who know he consulted on many of these games yet went on to burn creators by retconning out their storylines. However, a massive franchise like this begs for some kind of structure. It's simply cleaner this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom