• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid movie script turned in

VulcanRaven

Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts was recently interviewed by IGN:

He says that they just turned in the script and its one of the best scripts he has ever read. He also says that its one of the coolest, weirdest, most Kojima things. He seems to be in contact with Kojima according to his Twitter. He also posted this:

Good to hear that the movie is still in development. I'm excited about this but video game movies aren't usually very good. MGS movie is very hard to get right.

Last edited:
He seems to be in contact with Kojima according to his Twitter.
They're actually pretty good friends. Not quite Del Toro level, but above Keighley at least :p

So yeah, the fact that they're good friends and have discussed Metal Gear in depth leaves me with faith that this might finally be "the" videogame movie.

Also, this concept art he posted (and Kojima retweeted) is just sweet:
Dh_jQZiVMAEaxGm.jpg:large

Normally I would hate the idea because video game movies are always lame (just recently watched the new Tomb Raider in fact, I hated it)

But I thought Kong: Skull Island was fucking awesome, so I definitely trust the director of it with a Metal Gear movie.

haxan7

Banned
The whole part of the interview where they are talking about the question "what is your favorite video game movie?" seems really pretentious and contrived. The only actual video game movie he (briefly) mentioned was Silent Hill, and then he mainly talked about movies that are not based on video games, as far as I can tell from a quick google.

Haven't seen any of his films but based on that interview, I don't really care what to see what he would barf out as a Metal Gear movie.

VulcanRaven

Derek Connolly who was one of the writers of Jurassic World movies is the writer. News from last year:
https://variety.com/2017/film/news/...ly-pen-sonys-metal-gear-solid-pic-1202610438/

But I thought Kong: Skull Island was fucking awesome, so I definitely trust the director of it with a Metal Gear movie.

It wasn't very good in my opinion. I'm a big fan of King Kong movies but I was disappointed by it. I like the original and all the previous remakes.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Hope they tone back Kojima's new shark jumping goofyness and keep it at the proper Kojima goofyness level... Pre MGS4 levels are perfect...

Raynes

We don't need anymore Metal Gear shit anymore, the series is already enough of a cluster fuck. It needs to be buried for good.

Atra Mors

Neo Member
Normally I would hate the idea because video game movies are always lame (just recently watched the new Tomb Raider in fact, I hated it)

Yeah, I really didn't like the new Tomb Raider and video game based movies tend to be low quality more often than not.

I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.

BibiMaghoo

Was it written by David Hayter? I doubt they'll have him star, but I'm at least hoping he'll be involved in this.

Any script not written by Hayter should be immediately rejected. He is the most qualified individual for that job. He doesn't need to be in the film, but he would do the game justice in a script more than any other I think.

It wasn't very good in my opinion. I'm a big fan of King Kong movies but I was disappointed by it. I like the original and all the previous remakes.

I loved it but to be fair it weirdly felt like a movie made just for me.

I've always had a weird fascination with the Vietnam war, I love King Kong and John C Reilly, Samuel L Jackson and John Goodman are some of my favorite actors.

And here's a movie that combines all those things!

The only weak link was Brie Larson, I wish someone prettier and a better actress had been cast, but I mean she's fine, it's not enough to ruin it.

I wish it ended at 3... or more specially had a good 4th game and ended there...

Same here, I wish it had either ended at 3 or 4 was better.

rockyt

I'm not sure if MGS would make a good movie. As much as love the games the way it is I see the movie being cheesy and would probably feel a lot like a b-rated movie.

I have faith on this one. Hopefully they will keep not just the ambition, depth and strong vision of the games but also its quirkyness and crazyness albeit in a controlled fashion.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm afraid, but optimistic. He seems to be saying all the right things. Time will tell whether he's the one who will truly deliver or just a director who found this starved niche and is banking on it.

ROMhack

Thing is, MGS was one of the first major games to show how cutscenes could be used to make games more movie-like. Since then, the medium has been slowly building on its influence and developing them further, first in straight cut-scenes and then by integrating what would have been cutscenes into gameplay itself, allowing the player more control over them.

So why now for an MGS movie? It seems like such strange timing to me.

I'm also inclined to agree it would work better as a TV show, or maybe something funky like a podcast series.

Last edited:

Dark Star

MGS fanchise is already one big film series.

seems a bit redundant to me, and a huge cash grab IMO. But it could be pretty kickassss if they get Kojima in on it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Any MGS movie will obviously be campy at this point.

MGS features:
- A sexy sniper that can communicate with wolves.
- A telekinetic and psychic.
- A cyborg ninja.
- A hulking shaman wielding a Vulcan cannon.
- An elderly western with 6-shooters (who ends up playing an incredibly prominent part in the story).
- A secret twin as a villain.
- A giant bipedal robot.
- A lot of drama that occurs offsite with people who aren’t even at Shadow Moses.

I’m not sure how you could translate CODECs successfully. Last Jedi Style maybe? CODECS maybe translate physical presence to the brain like the ARI in Heavy Rain?

Just make the movie entertaining and true to source without going all Warcraft on the CG and it should be fine.

The Rock seemed very much like a Metal Gear movie, just with less stealth and more serious drama.

He says that they just turned in the script and its one of the best scripts he has ever read.

This movie's going to suck.

The whole part of the interview where they are talking about the question "what is your favorite video game movie?" seems really pretentious and contrived. The only actual video game movie he (briefly) mentioned was Silent Hill, and then he mainly talked about movies that are not based on video games, as far as I can tell from a quick google.

Haven't seen any of his films but based on that interview, I don't really care what to see what he would barf out as a Metal Gear movie

Why? Because the movies made by hardcore video game geeks are SO much better? Have you paid attention to this movie genre in the last 30 years?

And, of course, MGS would be a bad movie because like 95% of all video game plots would make for bad movies. The same with anime plots. This is why movies based on those two properties never work. They can't just use the VG/anime plot verbatim because it's substandard compared to a real movie...but to make it work they have to change so much of it that it's barely about the video game at all and loses the magic of the game/anime.

Video game movies never work and this entire genre is just dorks talking themselves into liking mediocre movies because they want the movie of their favorite series to not suck. And, yet despite the endless disappointments, they're right back at it, talking themselves into the belief that the next one might not suck over and over. It's sad.

Last edited:
I don't get the hate for Video Game movies. I don't believe they are as bad as people make them. Sure there are some shitty ones but there are also some really good ones, it's disingenuous to assume every single VG movie adaptation is bad because Rotten Tomatoes has a finger up their ass.

haxan7

Banned
Why? Because the movies made by hardcore video game geeks are SO much better? Have you paid attention to this movie genre in the last 30 years?
What are the movies made by hardcore video game geeks you're referring to?

Also your post really doesn't apply to my post. I said I wasn't interested in seeing it based on the interview. I didn't comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of any video game movies.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Here's hoping they're just following the exact story of MGS1 and not doing their own thing with the MGS name attached as most game > movie adaptions take.

You can't do a better story than what is already present in the game, just face the facts!

Here's hoping they're just following the exact story of MGS1 and not doing their own thing with the MGS name attached as most game > movie adaptions take.

You can't do a better story than what is already present in the game, just face the facts!

I was under the impression they were adapting Metal Gear first?

Helios

I don't blame him. Most of the video game adaptations are absolute trash and you can thank Uwe Boll for most of them.
In my opinion even the Silent Hill movie was bad, but I know I'm in the minority on this one.

VulcanRaven

I wonder who will play Snake if this movie happens? Josh Holloway would have been great but he might be too old now.

original.gif

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
I wonder who will play Snake if this movie happens? Josh Holloway would have been great but he might be too old now.

original.gif

That's who I envisioned playing Roland in the Dark Tower movie years and years ago... which, well, I don't want to talk about it. I can definitely see him as Snake though.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not getting my hopes up. There is no way a studio will give anyone enough money to make a movie that does the games justice. It would be just way too expensive. So it‘s probably just going to be some (relatively) low budget crap that has the MGS Logo plasterd over it.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Vogt-Roberts has talked about the movie at Comic-Con:
https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-movie-no-specific-game-story/

According to Vogt-Roberts, the script for the Metal Gear Solid movie has been completed, and it sounds as if the story he wanted to tell was one drawing inspiration from the series as a whole instead of focusing on one specific game’s plot. As stated by the Kong: Skull Island director, “We’re not exactly adapting something verbatim as ‘this game,’ but we’re also not just going to throw it out in a crazy Dark Tower way that it completely disregards why fans love the thing.”

Building on this sentiment, Vogt-Roberts then defined his intentions for the Metal Gear Solid movie adaptation, which sounds to be an attempt to distill the huge and time-spanning narrative that includes the original game and each sequel in the series as best as possible. The director explained, “My goal really is to try and translate what the fans want and expect, and to really take the unwieldy, amazing, decades-spanning timeline and have a way to make part of that make sense as a film.”

I'm not sure if I like this. I think they should just make the movie about MGS1.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MGS is not gonna fit into a movie, this series needs a TV-Show

a movie of MGS would be another generic spy movie

I think this is a great point. It should be sold to Netflix to be a 10 episode show. You can't do a good Metal Gear movie in 2 hours.

Roni

Gold Member
If I were making a MGS movie, I'd tell Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2's story in a movie and leave MGS for the sequel.

Of course, the story would have to be adapted, probably using the beginning of Metal Gear and the development/ending of MG2.

I think this is a great point. It should be sold to Netflix to be a 10 episode show. You can't do a good Metal Gear movie in 2 hours.

I think something cool could be done if the movie we're in the 160min+ range.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think something cool could be done if the movie we're in the 160min+ range.

Good point. I think it'll have to be a minimum of 150 mins. But do you think a Director can give us 160 minutes of good MGS style movie?

Top Bottom