• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: RISING WebSite is Now LIVE! + Direct Feed Trailer

Yoboman

Graphics look superb (besides that one explosion which looked strangely awful), like what I was hoping for in MGS4

GWX said:
MGS:R on X360/PS3/PC

It was announced. Well, lots of sources mentioned it last year.
Part of the reason for the existence of Rising is to create a multi-platform engine from the ground up for all 3 systems for Kojima's next big game. They didn't want to half ass it like MGS2:Substance. Thats partly why he took 2 years to do a PSP game.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Cmagus said:
the cutting thing reminds me of the afro samurai game had the same thing but cool none the less

I dropped by to see if anyone else thought the same, heheh.

Imm0rt4l

I'm guessing this game will elaborate more on Raiden being nothing but a head and spine. Probably a result of getting the information on the patriots from his cerebral cortex.

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
shitty youtube caps :/
http://i45.tinypic.com/11i38mv.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/20aanpu.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Quote my tag if you want but that looks too good to be real time. Especially compared to MGS4.

The 100% perfect bodypart slicing/deformation is also a little suspect for me.

Yoboman

jett said:
Quote my tag if you want but that looks too good to be real time. Especially compared to MGS4.

Agreed, everything is substantially better looking than MGS4. Right down to the hair

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
First time I've been interested in a MGS game in a long time. Why you might ask? Because the trailer focused on gameplay elements and not their horribly written cutscenes.

Hopefully this new cat running things keeps things reigned in on that department.

Alex

It looks really good and I'm really happy with the direction of the franchise. Peace Walker is great and follows the proper title for a stealth game and Rising looks like a much more interesting way to take the franchise than the 2/4 iterations of nonsense. Good game design, ahoy.

-Winnie-

jett said:

I was pretty shocked by how good it looks as well, but MGS4 was 2 years ago and this probably won't be out til 2011 anyway.

I hope we see some more gameplay at Sony's conference. While the slicing mechanic looks amazing, if every enemy essentially dies in one hit, it'd make for a stupidly easy game.
And please let there be SOME stealth in this!

Sinatar said:
First time I've been interested in a MGS game in a long time. Why you might ask? Because the trailer focused on gameplay elements and not their horribly written cutscenes.

Hopefully this new cat running things keeps things reigned in on that department.

Nearly every Peace Walker trailer focused on gameplay elements.

venom2124

Chip N Chance said:
Did anyone ever play as Raiden in the MGO expansion pack. It always looked like fun, but i never got it.
Very very fun. He blocked all bullets as long as the sword was pointed towards your opponent. The best thing to do with Raiden was run straight up to an enemy and 9 times out of 10 they would start panicking because you blocked everything they threw at you. Then you could cut them down with the sword at your leisure. He was probably the most overpowered of all the special characters but so damn fun to play.

jett

D-Member
Imm0rt4l said:
I'm guessing this game will elaborate more on Raiden being nothing but a head and spine. Probably a result of getting the information on the patriots from his cerebral cortex.

SPOILAR

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Raiden

Raiden learned from Big Mama, in exchange for the location of Big Boss that he obtained from GW, that Olga's daughter, Sunny, was being held in Area 51, and successfully rescued her with the help of Big Mama and the Paradise Lost. After hearing of Rosemary's miscarriage and subsequent remarriage to Roy Campbell, Raiden became despondent. He left Sunny in the care of Otacon and Snake. Afterwards, he left to wander the Earth. Raiden studied scouting techniques under a Native American shaman living in Alaska, and learned to hunt. He then began work on retrieving Big Boss's remains from the Patriots for the Paradise Lost Army, leading to his capture. As a prisoner, the Patriots used Raiden as a test subject for experiments in exoskeletal enhancement surgery, during which he had his head and spine excised from his body from his lower jaw down and subsequently grafted into an enhanced synthetic body.

With the help of the Paradise Lost Army, Raiden managed to escape his captivity. After undergoing surgery to clear his body of nanomachines and being saved by Dr. Drago Pettrovich Madnar, he was successful in reclaiming Big Boss's remains from the Patriots. He briefly made his first communication to Snake in years during the mission, but had to abruptly end the call due to the Patriots firing on him. The enhancements implanted throughout Raiden's body, however, were too severe to allow him to live a normal life again. He elected to disappear from the life of his fiancee, Rosemary.

I find it completely insane that none of this was explained in the actual game(I think it's from the MGS Database on PSN).

Nizz

Game looks great! I was kind of hoping I would have taken control of Raiden in MGS4 during his scene with the Gekkos. That scene was badass. Let's see how a full game with Raiden as this cybernetic ninja works out. :D

KTallguy

Banned
I bet the scabbard is also a rail gun, but it has a mode where you aim it at your face and it fixes his eye shadow.

venom2124 said:
Very very fun. He blocked all bullets as long as the sword was pointed towards your opponent. The best thing to do with Raiden was run straight up to an enemy and 9 times out of 10 they would start panicking because you blocked everything they threw at you. Then you could cut them down with the sword at your leisure. He was probably the most overpowered of all the special characters but so damn fun to play.

If you're good there are ways to kill him effectively, but you can't take him head on. CQC works well if you can hide around a corner. Once he starts attacking he can't turn around, so if you get him early the horizontal swipe won't come out in time.

ssoass

Reminds me of Frieza's death in DBZ.:D

178327-etet_super.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
KTallguy said:
I bet the scabbard is also a rail gun, but it has a mode where you aim it at your face and it fixes his eye shadow.
that's what im thinking, it resembles the rail gun a lot

sn00zer

Looks real cool, first game where sword slashes seem to actually fuck up the enemy instead of just knock off a bit of health...the buttery smoothness of guys falling to pieces....WHERE IS MY KILL BILL GAME?!

Cruzader

Banned
MutFox said:
This is what a Lightsaber should do in Star Wars games...
Yea hate that LucasArts(?) treats the franchise like its for little kids. in 2010, Star War media should allow blood and body pieces flying all over the place. A lightsaber cuts metal so why do sparks fly when it hits a human/clone???

Redbeard

Banned
I hope we get some more information out of this game tomorrow at sony's conference

while I loved the trailer, it seemed awfully short for a typical Kojima reveal

StuBurns

Banned
Redbeard said:
I hope we get some more information out of this game tomorrow at sony's conference

while I loved the trailer, it seemed awfully short for a typical Kojima reveal
It's not a Kojima game. I'm glad they didn't do a Kojima trailer.

Hopefully those enemies deserved to be cut up like that...I'd feel bad if they were like any old MGS guard.
I probably won't feel bad :(

duckroll

KTallguy said:

I bet Raiden has an energy bar of some sort, which depletes when he uses special attacks with the sword, or fires the railgun. He probably recharges the energy from defeating certain enemies and grabbing their power supplies like in the cutscene.

Man

I'm convinced this is a PS Move title. If not it will be the biggest befuddlement to come from this event (for me personally).

venom2124 said:
:lol I should check it out. MGO from MGS4 for me was a blast. I had a lot of fun with it. I bet that expansion was them testing the grounds for what would become Rising.

After watching the video again, ...Rising does strike me as a Kinect/Move game, especially the bit where you direct the slice/cut of the sword. Hope it's optional though.

In other news, I will sell my soul to Kojima if I can do this in-game

2u6cxeq.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I think the big thing is doing something to his sword to keep it able to slice thru stuff easily, sharpening it, heating it, something like that.

KTallguy said:

He doesn't need that, silly. His nanomachines give him perfect eye shadow at all times.

Top Bottom