• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Yen

Going with C. The weapon to surpass Metal Gear are the Sons of Big Boss. We've already seen it in practice. The countermeasure definitely works! What's they're specifically working on in Africa might be the conditioning and training of child soldiers. Dali pointed out earlier in the thread that all the African child soldiers are the same model. He could be on to something there. It's the "missing piece" because they already have the Snakes as children, but they might not know how to best make use of what they are.
I don't understand the significance of this.

Gun Animal

All the soldiers in all 5 acts of MGS4 have like 5-10 faces between them. The soldiers in MGS1, 2 and 3 all have identical eyes. Of course! They were clones all along! Everyone's clones!

kotor22

All the soldiers in all 5 acts of MGS4 have like 5-10 faces between them. The soldiers in MGS1, 2 and 3 all have identical eyes. Of course! They were clones all along! Everyone's clones!

It's funny that you mention that clones thingy , weren't all the soldiers in MGS1 Genome Soldiers, that were treated with Big Boss' 'Soldier Genes' ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everyone is Sora. Sora is everyone.

Izick

Ocelot was/is my favorite villain character throughout the series. I think one of the things that made him so great though later on, and this will be controversial, was that you never exactly knew how much of him you were going to get. So you savored every scene he was being foreboding, confident, and poised in.

Really sad to see they went with anyone else besides Patric Zimmerman. He's probably my second favorite VO in the series, besides Snake.

Shout out to Paul Eiding for his work as Campbell, but especially his work in MGS 2. The guy gives one of the greatest performances in the series, making subtle changes to alter his voice into sounding more staccato and robotic compared to MGS1, but not in a ham-fisted or blatant manner. Only after you finished the story and went back (and compared it to MGS1 as well) to listen to dialogue more closely did you realize there was something off about him all along.

Izick

WOW Skull-Face by Robert E. Howard is awesome thus far!

You're reading it!?

Oh, how I envy you! Where did you get it?

I hope to see a cameo of Kid Snakes. I mean all of them.

Most curious to see Solidus, only because he'll be an actual young adult most likely around that time. I think during the time of Phantom Pain (especially depending on how large a span the time the game covers), Solidus is working in the paramilitaries of the CIA.

Kojima said in a Gametrailers interview that they were working on a PC version, but it isn't a priority.

Probably will ship after the next-gen console versions.
I'm just hoping for a solid confirmation on a date before the console ones ship. Don't want to be left in some ambiguous state of release lag.

Grief.exe

I'm just hoping for a solid confirmation on a date before the console ones ship. Don't want to be left in some ambiguous state of release lag.

They are going to want you to double dip for the superior version.

That seems the current strategy, see: Destiny, GTA V, MGSV, Division. That is if Division isn't F2P.

BigBoss

Its weird, I don't have much of a problem with Kiefer replacing Hayter as Big Boss but no Patrick Zimmerman as Ocelot is extremely disappointing.

Izick

They are going to want you to double dip for the superior version.

That seems the current strategy, see: Destiny, GTA V, MGSV, Division. That is if Division isn't F2P.

Curious to see how that affects sales of both software and hardware.

I really want a PS4, but there's no exclusives yet that I want for it, or at least system sellers for me. The X1 has quite a few exclusives I'm interested in, but the policy and price stuff is likely going to be a little too much for me to take.

Not to mention everything I want is already launching on the current-gen consoles. The ONLY game I could really see myself double-dipping on if I skip the next-gen consoles (until 2014 at the earliest) is MGSV, and even then I think I could wait since I'll have a perfectly good PS3 version that will still look great and contain most of the same content.

Oh well, I guess time will only tell. Either way I'm hoping for a current-gen release of this year! It's unlikely, but Kojima has surprised me at every turn so far.

Gui_PT

Well they ruined every single character in MGS4 so it's best to pretend that game didn't happen

Maybe Otacon was saved, I guess

Feorax

Something I'm confused about.

WTF is going on with Miller losing limbs? As far as I remember, there is no mention of this in any other game, and the art for MGS, which takes place well after this, shows him in a much better condition. Did he have limbs grafted on later a la Big Boss and Ocelot or what?

MormaPope

Banned

WTF is going on with Miller losing limbs? As far as I remember, there is no mention of this in any other game, and the art for MGS, which takes place well after this, shows him in a much better condition. Did he have limbs grafted on later a la Big Boss and Ocelot or what?

Well, in MGS1 that character isn't genuine from the start. You never see the actual character or design to begin with.

Gui_PT

Kojima Retcon

And you never actuakky see Miller past the BB era

MormaPope

Banned
Aren't they 2 different Millers? Kaz and Macdonald?

McDonald is the name given but the portrait/artwork looks exactly like Kaz. I'd chalk it up to Kojima changing the name later on, and from a story perspective Liquid made up a first name he thought was neat or convincing.

http://metalgear.neoseeker.com/wiki/Master_Miller

They cite that Miller as being different, but c'mon. Look at the duder.

200px-Miller.jpg

It is, but why would Liquid have the same aviators that Kaz is known to wear? Or rather, why would Kojima give Kaz a trait that a different Miller had?

Because he's the master of the disguise...? Serious answer. I thought this was one of his skills. I don't know why he had to physically impersonate Kaz though.

Also what I don't get about Kaz is why he gave up his ambitions for revenge and hate? He was an instructor at Foxhound!!! He looks like he's amping up to ruin the CIA in MGSV: PP

He will probably adopt the McDonell name somewhere in this game.
It would make sense for Miller to change names after the Outer Heaven incident, which is presumeably when he fled to Alaska. The name Kazuhira Miller isn't exactly common, and at this point irreversiblt associated with Big Boss. It makes sense for him to change it.
Because he's the master of the disguise...? Serious answer. I thought this was one of his skills. I don't know why he had to physically impersonate Kaz though.

Also what I don't get about Kaz is why he gave up his ambitions for revenge and hate? He was an instructor at Foxhound!!! He looks like he's amping up to ruin the CIA in MGSV: PP
And Big Boss was the commander of FOXHOUND at the time of the Outer Heaven incident. I'm sure this will be explored, either in MGSV or 6.

News Bot

Banned
The whole thing with FOXHOUND is irreversibly fucked and will never make sense. Zero and the CIA know about Big Boss and Miller running a mercenary nation with the utmost goal to destroy them... so they make both of them ranking members of their most elite Special Forces unit. Kojima attempted to explain this away in MGS4 (Big Boss left and did his mercenary shit around the world then returned to the U.S. but had secretly established Outer Heaven beforehand) and just re-fucked it with Peace Walker where Zero and the CIA knew all along and even infiltrated them.

The whole thing with FOXHOUND is irreversibly fucked and will never make sense. Zero and the CIA know about Big Boss and Miller running a mercenary nation with the utmost goal to destroy them... so they make both of them ranking members of their most elite Special Forces unit. Kojima attempted to explain this away in MGS4 (Big Boss left and did his mercenary shit around the world then returned to the U.S. but had secretly established Outer Heaven beforehand) and just re-fucked it with Peace Walker where Zero and the CIA knew all along and even infiltrated them.
I'm sure they'll tie it up somehow in MGSV. At least we should give them the chance, IMO. I can see a few ways it could plausibly have happened.

RetroMG

it's cool how liquid wears a disguise to talk on the phone

There's clearly some kind of visual element, since we seen him take off the sunglasses and fix the hair to become Liquid.

Although it does give me this funny image of Mantis and Ocelot giggling in the background, and Liquid going, "Shh! Shh! Keep it down, you guys! I'm going to tell him we need three keys to SHUT DOWN Metal Gear!" and that just sets the two of them off.

(Yes, I know Mantis is dead then. Shut up.)

Top Bottom