• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

rvy

Banned
Yeah, he wants it to look even better and is aiming for 60FPS/1080p.

I thought it was funny how everyone said "this is next-gen!" when they saw this. It's not that I disagree with them, I thought it was next-gen too. Just goes to show how masterful Kojima is, and also makes me weary of even considering the next-consoles until at least 2014.

I think you guys will be sorely disappointed when you see the game running on a PS3 or 360.

Izick

I think you guys will be sorely disappointed when you see the game running on a PS3 or 360.

Why? Do you really think Kojima is lying?

Even if it's not that good looking, like as good as the trailer, all I want is a game that runs close and runs at 30FPS at most times for the current-gen versions.

rvy

Banned

Even if it's not that good looking, like as good as the trailer, all I want is a game that runs close and runs at 30FPS at most times for the current-gen versions.

I'm not thinking he's lying, I think things are being lost in translation. People are coming off reading these interviews with the idea that the game that they will be playing is exactly what was shown at the MS conference in terms of graphics.

I don't think anyone expects the PS3 or 360 version to look like. But what Kojima is saying is that the current trailers lean toward the specs of those consoles more than they lean toward the specs of the next-gen consoles. That's why you're seeing blocky assets, dithering etc.

RK9039

Kojima didn't actually say it will look 100% exactly like that on current gen. He said they're using this version as a "guideline" for the current gen. He also said in the GDC interview that the game won't look like that on the current gen.

It will look really good on next gen though.

ed: But the current gen version may become one of the best looking titles for PS3 and 360.

Salaadin

I dont think hes lying...just optimistic. I would love to be wrong, though.

rvy

Banned
I don't think anyone expects the PS3 or 360 version to look like. But what Kojima is saying is that the current trailers lean toward the specs of those consoles more than they lean toward the specs of the next-gen consoles. That's why you're seeing blocky assets, dithering etc.

I think some people are certainly expecting the PS3/360 version to look like that.

UrbanRats

From Kojima's blog.

ioZTvl22o8woM.jpg

iyMx0XJv22NV1.jpg

iuBcMFkrSiaF.jpg

iry4cdXDCsLHQ.jpg

ipMvGMTJyJaGK.jpg

ibbaO7aOBpNpFT.jpg

in2nPtuXqjEWt.jpg

Salaadin

In all seriousess though, I just want it to be somewhat close to that and I'll be fine.

I mean, what they showed us isnt totally and completely mind blowing when you compare it to whats out on PC and next gen...but I still feel like its too smooth and crisp and "together" for current gen. When it releases, I fully expect more jaggies, sub 30 FPS drops, and VSYNC problems depending on the system.

And again, Id love to be wrong.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know I really hope people don't call him Snake anymore in this game, at the end of Peace Walker he made it very clear "From now on call me Big Boss." He even threw away The Boss's bandanna, which as you can see is absent in the trailer. So people better stop saying "Snake" and start saying "BOSS!"

UrbanRats

You know I really hope people don't call him Snake anymore in this game, at the end of Peace Walker he made it very clear "From now on call me Big Boss." He even threw away The Boss's bandanna, which as you can see is absent in the trailer. So people better stop saying "Snake" and start saying "BOSS!"

But he's Punished Snake now.

Izick

He believes his own hype sometimes. I remember when MGS 3 was supposed to be a massive jungle.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I was really just joking but I really do respect that Kojima is at least trying to aim what we saw for the current consoles.

I mean, what they showed us isnt totally and completely mind blowing when you compare it to whats out on PC and next gen...but I still feel like its too smooth and crisp and "together" for current gen. When it releases, I fully expect more jaggies, sub 30 FPS drops, and VSYNC problems depending on the system.

And again, Id love to be wrong.

Yeah, I'm hoping that we get something close to what we saw. I know it's going to be difficult, but the difference this time is that Kojima isn't really just saying things, he's showing things. Not to mention he actually knows the specs of the PS360, instead of like what happened on the PS3 early on.

I don't know, I guess we'll just have to wait for more.

EDIT: I like Punished Snake. I don't think we'll hear that become like a real name though, maybe it'll be thrown around a few times like Old Snake. I like how blatant Kojima is with the names Snake gets.

RavenH2

Yeah, that's a fair point. I was really just joking but I really do respect that Kojima is at least trying to aim what we saw for the current consoles.

Yeah, I'm hoping that we get something close to what we saw. I know it's going to be difficult, but the difference this time is that Kojima isn't really just saying things, he's showing things. Not to mention he actually knows the specs of the PS360, instead of like what happened on the PS3 early on.

I don't know, I guess we'll just have to wait for more.

EDIT: I like Punished Snake. I don't think we'll hear that become like a real name though, maybe it'll be thrown around a few times like Old Snake. I like how blatant Kojima is with the names Snake gets.

I kinda believe him this time around... part of me hopes that this game is going to be the swan song of this generation, and partly because I remember him showing a sneak peak of the engine working on 2010 with a kid in the middle of a jungle that looked great, and when he was asked about it, he said it was running realtime on ps3 but he couldn't talk what it was about...

Can't remember the exact time or date, but the interview was about the recently revealed Metal Gear Solid: Rising (on the MS conference) and the MGS:pW revealed for PSP con the Sony conference....

So yeah, I kinda believe him... but knowing from past games, I expect a dip or two in frame rate every now and then... nothing I won't forvige..

Edit: Might have been a few months after showing Rising for the first time in 2011 in the MS Conference

rvy

Banned
I think Kojima just likes to have fun with the names, but I'm sure they sound cool in his head. He's like a little kid with that sort of stuff.

Izick

So, was the game called 'Project Ogre' due to the goal of it being to basically slowly but surely turn Big Boss into the "monster" and villain we'd all come to see him as today? Obviously we'll know there's more to the story, and we'll get to see this "Ogre's" turmoil and inner-pain, but that's what I'm thinking.

Yen

I kinda believe him this time around... part of me hopes that this game is going to be the swan song of this generation, and partly because I remember him showing a sneak peak of the engine working on 2010 with a kid in the middle of a jungle that looked great, and when he was asked about it, he said it was running realtime on ps3 but he couldn't talk what it was about...

Can't remember the exact time or date, but the interview was about the recently revealed Metal Gear Solid: Rising (on the MS conference) and the MGS:pW revealed for PSP con the Sony conference....

So yeah, I kinda believe him... but knowing from past games, I expect a dip or two in frame rate every now and then... nothing I won't forvige..

Edit: Might have been a few months after showing Rising for the first time in 2011 in the MS Conference

I believe it was the E3 2011 video where he first showed off Fox Engine. He also announced the MGS and ZOE collections.

RavenH2

Did anyone checked if the X-Ray pics of the trailers combined together form a picture or something?

I was just watching the trailer in my cellphone, and the though caught me...

It's Kojima, so something can be hidden there..

Also, "More powerfull than metal gear?"

I thinks its VR trainnig, the "Solid" series has been more than keen on the subjetc...and there are those viral videos released on GT after the first interview between Geoff and Joakim Morgen, which hinted a lot to VR Trainning

RaijinFY

anyone know whats up with the dithering on the hair textures in the fox engine stuff, seems like something which could easily be avoided/fixed seeing as no other next gen/current gen engines seem to suffer from it. just a bit odd.

GT5 had quite a lot of that, particularly on grass (ah and thanks, i was looking at the term: "dithering". Completely forget how that was called).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I suspect MGSV Xbone/PS4 will look better, but also not a drastic, game changing overhaul. Just as I expect the demo'd PC build "targeting current gen platforms" to take a big hit to the IQ when we actually see the 360/PS4 version. End of the day, MGSV is still a cross generation game, and I think it will show much in the same way it does for Watch_Dogs.

Izick

You know what's funny? MGS V looks to be a complete and total polar opposite of MGS4.

Instead of relying on old staples and tying things up, Kojima is getting completely new VO's for old characters and making a fairly secluded story that will likely blossom new questions about the franchise.

Instead of creating an engine for unknown tech, he's building an engine from the ground up that looks great on current-gen consoles, and will be ported over to the next-gen to look and play even better.

Instead of the more standard, linear levels, or at least levels with a small bit of openness, he's creating fully open levels where you can go seemingly anywhere.

Instead of an old hero that's ending his final note as a some paragon of virtue, we're seeing the young beginnings of a true villain that has lasting impacts on the story.

Instead of being locked to one platform, it's on almost all that can handle it.

It even ditches the traditional numbers for Roman numerals.

You know what's funny? MGS V looks to be a complete and total polar opposite of MGS4.

Instead of relying on old staples and tying things up, Kojima is getting completely new VO's for old characters and making a fairly secluded story that will likely blossom new questions about the franchise.

Instead of creating an engine for unknown tech, he's building an engine from the ground up that looks great on current-gen consoles, and will be ported over to the next-gen to look and play even better.

Instead of the more standard, linear levels, or at least levels with a small bit of openness, he's creating fully open levels where you can go seemingly anywhere.

Instead of an old hero that's ending his final note as a some paragon of virtue, we're seeing the young beginnings of a true villain that has lasting impacts on the story.

Instead of being locked to one platform, it's on almost all that can handle it.

It even ditches the traditional numbers for Roman numerals.

I'm convinced there's a story reason for this. Just no idea what.

Izick

I'm convinced there's a story reason for this. Just no idea what.

Peace symbol is my guess.

Also to the assholes complaining about her being in a bikini out of context, here ya go:

BMsJRVqCQAE4MuI.jpg:large

She wears a uniform!!!!

Yeah, I suspected we were just seeing her after she's tortured by Ocelot and crew due to the rips in the pants especially. Even so, if you're on top of a fucking building in the middle of an extremely hot area waiting for a target(s), then you might want to go lighter on the clothing.

UrbanRats

I suspect MGSV Xbone/PS4 will look better, but also not a drastic, game changing overhaul. Just as I expect the demo'd PC build "targeting current gen platforms" to take a big hit to the IQ when we actually see the 360/PS4 version. End of the day, MGSV is still a cross generation game, and I think it will show much in the same way it does for Watch_Dogs.
It already looks great anyway.
Artistic direction is superb. :p

Also to the assholes complaining about her being in a bikini out of context, here ya go:

BMsJRVqCQAE4MuI.jpg:large

She wears a uniform!!!!
What's going on here? She's not wearing a mocap suit, so are they scanning her outfit or what?

Red-Shift

Neo Member
This whole Ground Zeroes / Phantom Pain thing still confuses me. Was the VO in that GDC gameplay demo just interim? I mean the guy voiced by Kiefer helping Big Boss escape can't possibly be Solid Snake. Wasn't Solid cloned and born shortly after Big Boss fell into his coma? By that timeline Solid would be nine years old when Big Boss wakes up in that hospital.

It already looks great anyway.
Artistic direction is superb. :p
What's going on here? She's not wearing a mocap suit, so are they scanning her outfit or what?
She is the face and body model, along with facial & body mocap and VO,
probably getting a scan with the uniform on because the mocap suits are skin tight.
(why even go through the trouble of scanning her if they were just going to cover up her body with traditionally done clothes.)
I think there is another pic of her getting scanned or whatever in the bikini.

Alienous

There's some great analysis coming from Kotaku. Main points of interest.

• The biblical connotations of the names David and Eli. We know that Solid Snake's name is David. This lends more credence to Eli being
    Liquid Snake
    . Perhaps
    all 8 embryo's were given the names of prophets. I mean, the name Samuel just suits Solidus Snake so well.
  • That perhaps Quiet is Kurdish. Sniper Wolf could end up being her daughter, or little sister, that Big Boss trains. Apparently it is not uncommon for people to flee from Kurdistan to Afghanistan during conflicts.
  • That the package taken from
    Paz's
    body apparently has a blinking light, which further solidifies it as either a transmitter or a bomb.

Lime

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMsJRVqCQAE4MuI.jpg:large[IMG]

She wears a uniform!!!![/QUOTE]

Thank fucking god.

Hopefully she begins the game as a bikini sniper then after being tortured for wearing such a terrible combat outfit, she realizes her character designer's stupidity and starts wearing this proper gear.

^ I think for less major characters, it would simply be better if we got new faces. Somebody already mentioned before that everybody in the MG universe is related to somebody or another by heritage!

Pyscho Mantis burnt down his home village right? Did he burn it down with a demonic apparition...?

Erigu

Speaking decent/passable Japanese is one thing
She's more than decent/passable. Just listen to the damn podcast.

I am sure she's pretty capable of speaking Japanese, but she is still Dutch
Dude. Lots of non-Japanese people could write those tweets. I could.

there is CERO Dutch or English on that twitter account
Not true.

nothing personal from her, just work related.
Not true either.

You might not agree, but all the signs point to it.
Nah.

Top Bottom