• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok just had something (hopefully not) terrible happened. Loaded up the game from steam and the game starts up from the very begining and not my save file. exited game and reloaded and same thing. Any help gaf?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's been known since Peacewalker. It's even commented upon (well, their relationship) in a cassette tape.

Why would a person named Revolver Ocelot need another nickname? And that nickname would be a hard to pronounce word that is a portmanteau of two other words that require knowledge of their meaning to truly understand the new nickname? Cripes.

Are you referring to his name Shalashaska? He had that nickname in MGS2, or are you talking about something else? As for the rest of your question, the answer is Kojima.

AAK

So I had a question, When I restart a mission after dying instead of going back to my checkpoint, do I lose all the resources, recruits, etc. that I picked up on that playthrough?

I'd assume so but there is just so much to keep track of that I can't tell

Mission 19... getting tired of doing the same thing over and over again. I'm completely skipping side-ops now unless something useful pops up like an interpreter.

I sent out a group of soldiers on a mission days ago and the game says they're still on a mission. How is that even possible? these guys were all C and D rank too and now I can't dismiss them because they're still out on a mission according to the game. Anyone know if this is a bug or how to fix it?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Mission 20 = Silent Hills reference? What could have been . :-\

Somehow I'm S ranking the more complex stuff like the "six targets" mission (nice twist there in terms what you actually need to do) and not being as successful on the simpler stuff. I guess I just like going commando once a unit alert has occurred. Amazing game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why would a person named Revolver Ocelot need another nickname? And that nickname would be a hard to pronounce word that is a portmanteau of two other words that require knowledge of their meaning to truly understand the new nickname? Cripes.
There is a tape that explains this.

Do people not listen to tapes?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I sent out a group of soldiers on a mission days ago and the game says they're still on a mission. How is that even possible? these guys were all C and D rank too and now I can't dismiss them because they're still out on a mission according to the game. Anyone know if this is a bug or how to fix it?
Was it an online mission? Those take longer.

Otherwise, it's all real time in the game - so you have to be in the game for them to complete.

level1

Yeah, you're forced to do the FOB stuff unless you somehow trick the game by going offline when the tutorial should happen. It's kind of annoying, actually.

Yeah, the game will sync up when you go online, so there's really nothing you can do there. I think my fear is that when you finish the game and leave the game for a month or whatever, you'll come back and find that everything has been stolen. lol

I saw someone that said they lost an interpreter from an invasion, so unless they were lying, it seems like it just draws from the pool of whatever platform they happen to be attacking. I wish there was a way to just opt out of FOBs entirely... really don't want to be in the middle of a long mission only have to abort it because of the FOB stuff. And going offline only means you're giving away your staff/resources since the AI is pretty bad apparently.

Didn't get to the FOB part yet..guess I'm never going to be playing this game online again. In any case, there's more than enough SP content so I can handle missing out on this multiplayer bullshit

Man, this game is damn near unplayable on the Xbox One. It constantly stutters and lags and you loose control of snake mid game which has the tendency to fuck shit up for me and make me not want to play it.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between deploying during the day or the night?

i know that at night visibility is lower therefore you're harder to get spotted so i don't see the benefits of deploying during the day? i keep going at night. I thought it would be something like during the day its easier to spot you but to balance that security is a bit more relaxed (less guards around etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case

If you keep attacking at night, the soldiers get NVG's. So best to mix it up.

Did anyones PC drop to like 1 FPS when the
rail gun on Battle Gear was on during the cutscene like it did mine?
(Late game spoiler)
Yeah it did the same on mine, the moment it stopped the cutscene was back to normal FPS, strange how performance dropped so much just for that, haven't seen any drops the entire game except for that one cutscene.

The
wormhole
upgrade being able to fulton people inside buildings/under cover is so good.

As for FOB invasions I feel like If I defeat the invader they shouldn't get anything. I had an emergency call which I reposed to and immediately killed the guy. He has already killed 5 of my dudes though and fultoned 2 of them. Worse is I can't retaliate because it keeps saying his waters are currently blocked due to another invasion.

Either way I have enjoyed the FOB stuff as a fun side thing so far. At some point I will need to dig a little deeper into and really put some thought into optimal loadouts and such.

SJRB

Gold Member
A cool Easter Egg in case anyone missed it. Chapter Two/Side Op 143 Spoilers:

I guess we know for certain who Hal's mother is now. Found this posted on the Mammal Pod.

Yes, this was awesome. I took an almost exactly same screenshot too, haha.

...until you find out where Strangelove is. Don't highlight this if you don't know:

Strangelove was one of my favourite MGS characters, I absolutely detest what happened to her in this game. Fuck Huey, that piece of shit. After that revelation I'm glad Ocelot keeps torturing him.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yes, this was awesome. I took an almost exactly same screenshot too, haha.

...until you find out where Strangelove is. Don't highlight this if you don't know:

Strangelove was one of my favourite MGS characters, I absolutely detest what happened to her in this game. Fuck Huey, that piece of shit. After that revelation I'm glad Ocelot keeps torturing him.

If there's one thing this game is good at in terms of plot, it's fucking with people who loved PW.

Ruff

Question: How do I get Quiet to change her position? When I start a mission, she takes a perch but won't move from it even when I'm out of her line of sight and 500+ meters away.

You have to micromanage her sort of, from the Idroid in the buddy menu. You can make her scout out a base or take up an attack stance in pre-chosen spots on the map

Hooked on side ops atm. So good.

It's too bad doing a bunch in a row is so tedious. You do one then see the other is clear on the other side of the map so you return to ACC, redeploy, do another one and see the next one is in Africa so you gotta go back to ACC again.

Can't believe it costs 35k+ GMP to deploy with all your good gear.

Hystzen

Is the Snake Eater tape a new recording it sounds different more umph and backing vocals.

They should have got Keifer to sing it that be epic helicopter music.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's too bad doing a bunch in a row is so tedious. You do one then see the other is clear on the other side of the map so you return to ACC, redeploy, do another one and see the next one is in Africa so you gotta go back to ACC again.

Can't believe it costs 35k+ GMP to deploy with all your good gear.
Fast travel. Don't call in your helicopter.

Frillen

Need help! How do you get over that broken bridge in Africa just north of Ngumba Industrial Zone (mission 20)? A side op is located there.

Let's see, played for a couple hours today and I'm at 18% completion. In those few hours of progress I
escaped a big ass metal gear
, got mauled by a legendary brown bear, made it to Africa, got a legendary gunsmith apprentice, sabatoged an oil refinery, got some new tunes, developed a shit ton more gadgets and weapons, destroyed a convoy of armored vehicles, got yelled at by Miller for accidentally killing someone I was supposed to extract...and a lot more. All in like 3 hours. And I'm only at mission 14.

This game is incredible.

Wiped out the security squad on an FOB and started fultoning all the containers on the deck. Went into the red stealing so many goodies. Then I got DC'd before I could finish and I received none of the stolen resources or soldiers but kept my negative cash. I think I'll just stick to defending until Konami gets their shit together. There is way too much risk invading because I'm more worried about losing to the servers rather than the defender.

Does rainfall wash off your bloodstains? In the second map atm and Snake is now completely stain-free despite me not showering or changing clothes in a long time?

Also where do you go to get covered in mud/dirt? Remember seeing a screen of Snake's face covered in mud.

Need help! How do you get over that broken bridge in Africa just north of Ngumba Industrial Zone (mission 20)? A side op is located there.
If this is the side op I am thinking of head to the right like you are going back to the Devil's House. Once you cross the river though and are on the other side you should then be able to branch off to the left. From there you can climb up the mountain some and then drop down on the other side of the broken bridge.

burgerdog

How do I get the chopper to take me to another spot in the map? I hate finishing a side op and having to go back to the acc to be able to me closer to the location via heli.

Pick up: request helicopter deployment/relocation.

I select that to try to move to another landing soon but he takes me back to base as soon as I get on.

Woodchipper

Uhmm... Mission 18:
All enemies are either killed or extracted, including one of the targets. Where are the prisoners?!

Thanks in advance.

Frillen

If this is the side op I am thinking of head to the right like you are going back to the Devil's House. Once you cross the river though and are on the other side you should then be able to branch off to the left. From there you can climb up the mountain some and then drop down on the other side of the broken bridge.

Thanks!

Ugh...I went to motherbase to finally finish those side op target practice and when I was on number 3/5 snake slips off one of the rails and falls to his death and all the side op progress resets...Wtf..Can we get a damn auto save after completing side ops on the motherbase Kojima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom