• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

vocab

I preorded off newegg. This a pretty big impulse buy on my part considering this game came out of no where, and peaks my interest.

miladesn said:

And that's the 360 version!?

Holy crap, this game is going to be seriously glorious on PC then and its bound to perform well considering what they've managed to get out of the Xbox 360. A Crysis contender with top tier performance to boot? Sign me up!

Joseph Merrick said:
wow yeah good on thq for going for the drm closest to what ubisoft are doing. bravo

I know you'll never listen but Steam's DRM isn't even remotely similar to Ubisoft's. Steam requires a one time connection and then you're free to play your game offline forever more, Ubisoft's requires a constant connection, completely different.

Edit: Here's the full list of the engine's features:

DF said:
Rendering
Using innovative visualisation technology, based on human visual system (HVS) perception and response.

The gamma-correct, linear colour space renderer
High dynamic range rendering (HDR) Using floating-point buffers, allowing for tone mapping, exposure adaption, and blue shift, for camera/eye perceptual rendering
Advanced deferred shading - allows hundreds of lights in frame, in huge, complex scenes
All lighting is fully dynamic (including sun and skies), ability to use light-shaders, with dozens of special effects
Umbra and penumbra - Correct soft shadows, including shadows correctly curved on bumped surface. Shadows from semi-transparent objects like particles.
Weather and day/night model, including light scattering model and god-rays
Volumetric fogging and lighting, even in animated, non-constant density media
Global illumination effects and real-time reflective lights
Parallax occlusion maps and real (geometric) displacement mapping
Hierarchical per-pixel occlusion culling
Real-time colour correction, film grain and noise, correct depth of field
Velocity preserving motion-blur on a scene with millions of polygons and complex shading detail (including object blur)
Deferred reflections - allows a lot of planar real time reflections in a single frame, like water, glass, etc.
Ambient occlusion calculated on both the global scale (pre-calculated) and in real-time in screen space (SSAO)
In addition to standard MSAA, the engine features analytical anti-aliasing (AAA) and "deferred super-sampling" modes which have much lower impact on frame-rate, while correctly ant-ialiasing all surfaces and not just edges
Renderer is highly multi-threaded for multiple CPU cores.
Plus: per-pixel lighting, bumpy reflections and refractions, animated and detail textures, shiny surfaces, cosmetic damage using albedo and bump blending, soft particles, etc.
Physics System
Powered by nVidia PhysX technology, can utilise multiple CPU cores, AGEIA PhysX hardware, or nVidia GPU hardware.

Tightly integrated into the content pipeline and the game itself, including physical materials on all surfaces, physically driven sound, physically driven animations
Rigid body and multi-jointed constructions. Breakable fences, walls , sheds and other objects. Thousands of different physical entities simulated per frame.
Cloth simulation, water physics (including cross-interactions)
Destruction and fracturing, physically based puzzles
Soft body physics on selected special game entities
On hardware-accelerated PhysX platforms engine implements full physically correct behaviour of particles such as smoke, debris, etc.
Audio
Multi-threaded high dynamic range Audio system with constant memory usage and data-driven design

3D sound positioning, spatialisation and attenuation
Sound path tracing and transfer approximation for correct occlusion and obstruction perceiving.
Reverb, low-pass/high-pass filtering, pitch shifting - all auto-calculated based on sound-path and adjustable by multi-layer environment zones, scripting or programmatically
Dynamically reconstructing audio graphs
OGG-vorbis compressed with adjustable quality, multi-threaded decompression
AI and Gameplay

Deep story-driven experience, dynamic and remarkable missions
Different gameplay styles stealth/brutal, different combat settings
Group behaviour (including support for information sharing and creating dynamic groups of agents that act together)
Designer-friendly visual scripting system, enables designers to script levels and control advanced AI behaviours using the Flow-Graph visual scripting system, placing most AI gameplay control in their hands.
Efficient pathfinding for dynamic environment
Advanced 3D topology dynamic analysis
Virtual vision, hearing, "smelling" - realistic, believable and time and memory efficient implementation enables characters to sense objects in a natural way, depending on the object velocity, luminocity, etc.
Multi-threaded Animation system controlled via visual scripting and flow graph

Deferred lighting, soft shadows which are all fully dynamic, parralax occlusion mapping, object based motion blur, both real time and prebaked ambient occlusion and shader/CPU based AA. Ow wow oh wow, I think I just whet my pants, even Cry Engine 2 can't match that feature list, and they've got it all running on an Xbox 360!!?? The hell!? :lol

burgerdog

What the hell, only reason I found out about this game is because of the article DF did it on today. Day 1 for sure, it looks amazing. So 360 or PC? e8400/4850/4gb ram/W7. I mean, if I can get at least high at 30fps that would be awesome. If I'm just going to pull off medium settings then I'll probably get it for 360.

There has to be a ton of people that don't know about this game yet. This thread should be much bigger than it is, the game looks amazing and gaf in general loves good graphics.

brain_stew
I saw the 4 screenshots from the article, are they truly from the 360 version? It looks pretty damn amazing.

Pooya

brain_stew said:
And that's the 360 version!?

Holy crap, this game is going to be seriously glorious on PC then and its bound to perform well considering what they've managed to get out of the Xbox 360. A Crysis contender with top tier performance to boot? Sign me up!
The game looks spectacular, I hope gameplay and voice acting is as good. Poor VA really ruined STALKER for me.

Doytch

burgerdog said:
What the hell, only reason I found out about this game is because of the article DF did it on today. Day 1 for sure, it looks amazing. So 360 or PC? e8400/4850/4gb ram/W7. I mean, if I can get at least high at 30fps that would be awesome. If I'm just going to pull off medium settings then I'll probably get it for 360.

There has to be a ton of people that don't know about this game yet. This thread should be much bigger than it is, the game looks amazing and gaf in general loves good graphics.

brain_stew
I saw the 4 screenshots from the article, are they truly from the 360 version? It looks pretty damn amazing.
They've said they want it to be highly scalable, so I don't think it'll crushing cards. Get it for PC.

Mr_Brit

Banned
So is the game running with any AA on the 360. Can you guys work out what the native res of the game is from the screens Eurogamer just put up?

vocab said:
Those screens are 720p. I'm pretty sure that's the games native res.

Cool. Any word on AA as the screens posted do seem a bit jaggy.

vocab

Mr_Brit said:
So is the game running with any AA on the 360. Can you guys work out what the native res of the game is from the screens Eurogamer just put up?

Those screens are 720p. I'm pretty sure that's the games native res.

Their AA solution antialiases all surfaces and fully supports hardware MSAA to be applied in addition. That's huge, we could be getting supersampled bullshot levels of image quality with the performance impact of standard 4xmsaa.

I hope it includes a benchmark, even if the game doesn't hold up (and I fully expect it will) it looks like it'll be worth the price of admission just to play with the tech.

Macmanus said:
Is it weird that this actually does sound rather appealing?

Nah, its half the fun of PC gaming for me! :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
burgerdog said:
A lot of people tend to hold their opinion back when it comes to eastern-european games; gamers have been burnt a few times after all.

Not me though; I think it looks marvellous.

Pooya

Mr_Brit said:

Nobody is as bad as Square-Enix, those look proper 720p, otherwise DF article would have mentioned that.

burgerdog said:

brain_stew

Indeed they are, what's more I'm nigh on positive that the 360 version isn't using any hardware MSAA at all either (you can tell by the edges which the software solution can't deal with), and yet the majority of edges are really smooth. Throw 4xmsaa on top of that and it's going to be a glorious jaggie free image.

burgerdog said:

brain_stew

Your GPU is around 3-4x faster than Xenos on average, it'll both look and perform much better on your PC than the 360, just like nigh on every mutliplatform title. 360 titles are only rendered in 720p remember, set your PC game's to that resolution and even Crysis' very high settings would be no match for your GPU. No Xbox 360 is ever going to achieve that level of graphics.

Mr_Brit said:
Cool. Any word on AA as the screens posted do seem a bit jaggy.

I think you need to go back and look at what the native output of your 360 actually looks like. I've seen very few Xbox 360 games with edges as good as those screens, the vast majority are plagued with heaps more aliasing, you're just not use to seeing direct captures.

Pretty sure those screens are native 720p with no hardware msaa, the shader based AA is antialiasing the whole image and doing a very good job.

Do you guys think the problem that keeps coming up in the previews- an almost complete lack of ammo- can be fixed by the time the game is released?

Neuromancer said:
Do you guys think the problem that keeps coming up in the previews- an almost complete lack of ammo- can be fixed by the time the game is released?
Maybe. But that's a game design decision more than anything else.

Edit: But mods/cheats/trainers can probably fix that if its a big deal for you.

Feindflug

Nabs said:

Yeah despite the excellent technical side of the things the game looks really interesting.

It's really impressive what 4A did especially on the 360 version...I can't wait to read the digital foundry article/interview tomorrow. :)

Lostconfused said:
Maybe. But that's a game design decision more than anything else.

Edit: But mods/cheats/trainers can probably fix that if its a big deal for you.
I don't mind the sound of limited ammo. It's everyone running out constantly that sounds like an issue.

I'm a 360 gamer, not much in the way of mods for me.

Dennis

Banned
Valve Software's Steamworks suite will power all PC copies of 4A's post-apocalyptic shooter Metro 2033, Valve and publisher THQ announced today...Steamworks will give provide "auto-updating, Steam Achievements, Steam support for in-game DLC, and more" while requiring Metro 2033 be played through Steam...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62440

Nabs

DennisK4 said:
Valve Software's Steamworks suite will power all PC copies of 4A's post-apocalyptic shooter Metro 2033, Valve and publisher THQ announced today...Steamworks will give provide "auto-updating, Steam Achievements, Steam support for in-game DLC, and more" while requiring Metro 2033 be played through Steam...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62440

excellent... i might grab that newegg preorder

~Kinggi~

Banned
I read about this in a magazine late last year and i thought it was really interesting. Seems like they are making a run for greatness! Hope the game is actually good.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Game looks incredible and that feature list is just mindblowing. I really hope they retain the original VA for those of us who hate wonky dubs.

I gotta add that I REALLY disapprove this trend of using steamworks for retail games. Not that it matters though, I'm clearly in the minority.

I cant decide what to get this one, my pc can handle it, but Surround Sound system on the tv for this type of game has me leaning that way.

Top Bottom