• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just pre-ordered the 360 version from Amazon for $27.

Man, I'm going to be getting one big game every week for the whole month of March. :lol

Domino Theory said:
Just pre-ordered the 360 version from Amazon for $27.

Man, I'm going to be getting one big game every week for the whole month of March. :lol

Tell me about it, I'm currently at 2 games a week in March. I'm just glad I have an understanding girlfriend!:lol

Truespeed

They develop a cross platform engine that takes into account the strengths of each architecture, but don't release on the PS3? If it only took 18 days to port to the 360, how much longer would it have taken to port it to the PS3? I understand the decision was made by THQ, but seriously? You're really expecting the PC version to outsell a PS3 version? I'm not so sure about that.

Druz

Truespeed said:
They develop a cross platform engine that takes into account the strengths of each architecture, but don't release on the PS3? If it only took 18 days to port to the 360, how much longer would it have taken to port it to the PS3? I understand the decision was made by THQ, but seriously? You're really expecting the PC version to outsell a PS3 version? I'm not so sure about that.
Here we go. Easier to port on 360 and still haven't comprehended that its not so easy for PS3. Over and over again.... over and over.

Truespeed

Druz said:
Here we go. Easier to port on 360 and still haven't comprehended that its not so easy for PS3. Over and over again.... over and over.

The engine is cross platform, dude. It shouldn't really have been an issue.

Druz

Orellio said:
The "Live" designation means it will have achievements, the 'dashboard' and match-making a la 360. "Games for Windows" without the "Live" is more of a general marketing term and doesn't include ANY of the aforementioned features.

Edit: The game uses Steamworks in place of Live essentially. Boxed retail copies will be tied to Steam and have Steam achievements/stats.
Its not a general marketting term, its a set of requirements that have been met to make it able to wear the GFW tag. From what I read this means things like controller support and widescreen among other things.

Truespeed

Chriswok said:
One of those three don't use DirectX as a grounding, wonder which!

Wouldn't a cross platform engine simply use a facade pattern to hide the platform specific graphics API being used? Seems logical to me.

EagleEyes said:
It sounds like a new standard is gonna be set for graphics on the 360 and maybe consoles period. We will have to see if its all hype or not come march 16th.

They're managing that and yet they're still pushing the PC version way beyond the console version to boot, so so awesome. Take the best looking console game, add 4x the texture resolution, ~4x the shadow map resolution plus superior filtering, much more precise volumetric effects, higher LOD models, tesselation, higher precision post effects like depth of field, MSAA support on top of their custom AA filter and who knows what else and suddenly you've got one of the very best looking PC games as well. What an awesome effort all around, can't wait to see what the native output of the final build looks like.

Solid warrior said:
oh, thanks for clearing that up. I wish that Metro 2033 had Live Achievements. I had the intention of buying it for my PC. but now, I'm gonna buy the 360 ver.

You've gotta be kidding me. It has Steam achievements so the only thing you'll be "missing out" on is a bigger epenis score, and that makes you decide to get a more expensive and inferior version? Wtf? You can't be serious.

Aklamarth

A game's code can be roughly split in 3 parts :
- the engine (renderer, psychics, resource loader , networking etc etc).-
- gameplay code (the biggest part of the codebase. usually fuckload of lua scripts).
- shaders.

Having a part of this code "crossplatform" does not means you have shippable code. There is still a lot of work to do (debug and tweak) for each sku.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
brain_stew said:
You've gotta be kidding me. It has Steam achievements so the only thing you'll be "missing out" on is a bigger epenis score, and that makes you decide to get a more expensive and inferior version? Wtf? You can't be serious.
This was one of Microsoft's most brilliant moves ever. It gets all sorts of crazy people to buy every multiplatform game on their system.

Truespeed said:
You're really expecting the PC version to outsell a PS3 version? I'm not so sure about that.

For an eastern European developed FPS with a huge focus on the PC SKU and development talent with massive PC pedigree? Absolutely. The Stalker guys manage to stay profitable by only releasing a PC version, no reason 4A can't either. Just look at AVP, the PC online is completely packed but the PS3 is a complete wasteland and that title had less focus on the PC SKU than this.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Caesar III said:
Am I missing something? the game is 57$ on .com, 38pounds on co.uk and 56€ on .de

Where did you get it that cheap? WTF?
Game credits amazon does whenever you buy new games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
brain_stew said:
For an eastern European developed FPS with a huge focus on the PC SKU and development talent with massive PC pedigree? Absolutely. The Stalker guys manage to stay profitable by only releasing a PC version, no reason 4A can't either. Just look at AVP, the PC online is completely packed but the PS3 is a complete wasteland and that title had less focus on the PC SKU than this.

You're gonna make me buy AvP, man :(

brain_stew said:
well, I don't know. I'm a little bit confused. achievement is serious business for me :(

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Chriswok said:
This ain't Star Trek.

Actually that's legit terminology from a software engineering standpoint. However, game programming - especially on the console, requires you to get down and nasty with the hardware. Ever wonder how Uncharted 2 looks so amazing? You can achieve awesome things when you know exactly what you're working with.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I'm this close to pre-purchasing Metro 2033 on Steam, but glancing through this thread I couldn't find any hands-on impressions. Have there been any meaty previews to give me an idea of what I might be in for? The screens, vids and atmosphere look interesting, but not quite compelling enough yet gameplay-wise to pull the trigger. With this spring being so packed with other definite purchases so far, my logical side tells me to wait for the inevitable crazy Steam sale later...But...my crow-brain side says, So shiny, so pretty.

Also, how is the PC version of Red Faction 2? Pretty sure my machine could handle it...I've played it on 360, but it would be a nice bonus to add to my (ever-growing >_<) Steam list.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Caesar III said:
Am I missing something? the game is 57$ on .com, 38pounds on co.uk and 56€ on .de

Where did you get it that cheap? WTF?

I bought Darksiders from Amazon a few days ago and the promo for that gave me $10 credit towards the pre-order of Metro 2033. Then I got a $5 Amazon GC from SB and a $14.70 Amazon GC from OO. I just had to pay ~$27 in total.

Bi50N

Len Dontree said:
I'm this close to pre-purchasing Metro 2033 on Steam, but glancing through this thread I couldn't find any hands-on impressions.

So, a handful of hands-on previews from our January build:

Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metro-2033-extended-hands-on

Videogamer: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/metro_2033/preview-2190.html

RockPaperShotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/04/on-rails-hands-on-with-metro-2033/

And a preview from our recent London event with this month's near-final build:

http://mature-gaming.com/hands-on-metro-2033/

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Bi50N said:
So, a handful of hands-on previews from our January build:

Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metro-2033-extended-hands-on

Videogamer: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/metro_2033/preview-2190.html

RockPaperShotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/04/on-rails-hands-on-with-metro-2033/

And a preview from our recent London event with this month's near-final build:

http://mature-gaming.com/hands-on-metro-2033/

Thanks, Bi50N...Exactly what I was looking for.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
wanna sell this game to me?

supply some 1080p pc footage with the settings ramped up to the stars.

kamspy

enewtabie said:
Isn't it a little strange that you aren't seeing hardly any video/info on this game so close to release?

Not all games are made available entirely in .gif form before release day.

enewtabie

kamspy said:
Not all games are made available entirely in .gif form before release day.

Dunno..don't make gifs
No previews,no quick looks or anything,but you can buy the avatar clothes on Live.:lol

(which I purchased a Russian hat...):lol

If anyone cares about the technical side of the game:

"We don't have dedicated threads for processing specific tasks in-game with the exception of a PhysX thread," explains Shishkovtsov. "All our threads are basic workers. We use task-model but without any pre-conditioning or pre/post-synchronising. Basically all tasks can execute in parallel without any locks from the point when they are spawned. There are no inter-dependencies for tasks.

It looks like a tree of tasks, which start from more heavyweight ones at the beginning of the frame (to make the system self-balanced). The last time I measured the statistics, we were running approximately 3,000 tasks per 30ms frame on Xbox 360 on CPU-intensive scenes with all hardware threads at 100 per cent load."

Dabanton

SublimeO12 said:
Amazing to me how this guy looks down on Killzone2 for using lightmaps. IMO, I haven't seen a game PC or otherwise with better lighting and more dynamic lights.

I hope you've tightened your seatbelt.

This thread is about to experience some turbulence. :lol

Oreoleo

Druz said:
Its not a general marketting term, its a set of requirements that have been met to make it able to wear the GFW tag. From what I read this means things like controller support and widescreen among other things.

Yes, you are correct. I was simplifying for the sake of conversation. As far as the IN-GAME difference between GFW and GFWL goes, Games for Windows might as well be a marketing term because the set of requirements to qualify for GFW is essentially invisible to the end user as opposed to GFWL which is basically a complete GUI overhaul. I guess I should have been clearer in my post.

wizword

Banned
aa1.jpg.jpg

aa2.jpg.jpg

aa3.jpg.jpg

aa4_000.jpg.jpg

First screenshots of metro 2033 for xbox 360

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
^ damn 360 version look sick , day one.:D

Zombie James said:

from that link
Digital Foundry said:
"The PS3 is not that different... We use 'fibres' to 'emulate' a six-thread CPU, and then each task can spawn a SPURS (SPU) job and switch to another fibre. This is a kind of PPU off-loading, which is transparent to the system. The end result of this beautiful (apart from somewhat restricting) model is that we have perfectly linear scaling up to the hardware deficiency limits."

While the engine is described as a complete cross-platform development environment, there is to be no PlayStation 3 SKU of Metro 2033. The game will launch on PC and Xbox 360 only. However, the Sony console played a big part in the development work for the core tech.

"From the start we selected the most 'difficult' platform to run on. A lot of decisions were made explicitly knowing the limits and quirks we'll face in the future," explains Shishkovtsov.

"For me personally, the PS3 GPU (they like to call it RSX for some reason) was the safe choice because I was involved in the early design stages of NV40 and it's like a homeland: RSX is a direct derivative of that architecture. Reading Sony's docs it was like, 'Ha! They don't understand where those cycles are lost! They coded sub-optimal code-path in GCM for that thing!' All of that kind of stuff..."

interesting.

I_D

So what's the word on mods (pc version, obviously)?

Will this game support them, or no?

I definitely have my eyes on this, but without MP, this game's replayability seems severely limited. Mods would help out significantly.

Their custom AA method looks to work great. There's no hardware MSAA applied in those shots and yet most of the edges are super clean and none of the texture detail is lost. The performance impact is super low as well, as mentioned in the interview, really impressive tech.

brain_stew said:
Their custom AA method looks to work great. There's no hardware MSAA applied in those shots and yet most of the edges are super clean and none of the texture detail is lost. The performance impact is super low as well, as mentioned in the interview, really impressive tech.

Hey brain_stew, youl be glad to know....

Metro 2033 features superior volumetric fog, double the precision in the PhysX, 2048x2048 textures (up against 1024x1024 on console)

Fuck.jpg

:D

Yeah, it made me very happy when I read that the PC textures will be 4x the resolution of those seen in those 360s shots! :D They mention quite a lot of other stuff they're adding to the PC version as well, including hardware MSAA that works in addition to their custom analytical AA and object based motion blur. Its going to look glorious, they're pushing the 360 and the PC, everybody wins.

Top Bottom