• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

The explosions look very bad to me. But the lightning is great. The game doesn't look very special to me, maybe I can borrow it sometime or buy it for a low price. It's sure not a day one purchase for me.

luka said:
Game looks incredible and that feature list is just mindblowing. I really hope they retain the original VA for those of us who hate wonky dubs.

I gotta add that I REALLY disapprove this trend of using steamworks for retail games. Not that it matters though, I'm clearly in the minority.

Some form of DRM is a necessary evil to get your game published on PC these days, I'd far rather publishers went with a DRM scheme like Steam that actually has a bunch of end user benefits than something like TAGEs or Securom which are nothing but a hassle.

gifs from the final video:
kb9d00.gif

2eea5i1.gif

24vjuza.gif

Bi50N said:
Digital Foundry's in depth feature on the 4A Engine is up now:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article

Also includes about 2 minutes of 360 direct feed taken from our early January build.

They'll publish the full interview transcript next week, plus some additional videos from the 360 version.
Thanks for the info.

about the 'additional videos', are they from a different build than the one showed here? I'll assume it will be from the final build because the game will come out very soon.

adelante

_tetsuo_ said:
Here's a follow up video, about 5 more minutes of gameplay pretty much right after that video preview. It is shitty quality and it's the 360 version but the visuals still manage to stand out. Crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cG2QEByyq4&feature=related
Fuckin heck this game just oozes with atmosphere...so much thought is put into the design and layout of their underworld and its nice to see the place incredibly populated

EagleEyes

It sounds like a new standard is gonna be set for graphics on the 360 and maybe consoles period. We will have to see if its all hype or not come march 16th.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Was I imagining things or did I read somewhere that the game will be in Russian with English subtitles? I hope there is an option for that at the very least. I'm really hyped for this game.

adelante

EagleEyes said:
It sounds like a new standard is gonna be set for graphics on the 360 and maybe consoles period. We will have to see if its all hype or not come march 16th.
Yeah between Remedy's work and this, I'm really impressed with what they've been able to push out of the 360 at this stage...for starters, they each have devised their own system to handle shadow aliasing.

Guerrilla's engine is quite remarkable, geared completely to the specific hardware strengths of the Sony platform, but Shishkovtsov evaluates its performance from a different perspective.

"Their implementation seems to be badly optimised," he observes. "Otherwise why do they have pre-calculated light-mapping? Why do they light dynamic stuff differently to the rest of the world with light-probe similar stuff? From our experience you need at least 150 full-fledged light-sources per frame to have indoor environments look good and natural, and many more to highlight such things like eyes, etc. It seems they just missed that performance target."

"I don't think we do anything unusual here," Shishkovtsov says. "On 360 we first render the traditional depth from light point of view, then convert it into a ESM (exponential shadow map) representation while gauss-blurring it at the same time. Later during the lighting we do one bilinear lookup to get percentage in shadow.

"The end result: we avoid any jittering, noise, stipple-patterns or many (costly) look-ups to filter shadow to get something what at least remotely looks like a shadow. Of course the 10MB eDRAM on 360 slightly limits the resolution of shadow maps, which can be noticed sometimes when the light source moves... We use that space for shadow mapping only twice during a frame."

"The 360 GPU is a different beast. Compared to today's high-end PC hardware it is 5-10 times slower depending on what you do," says Shishkovtsov. "But performance of hardware is only one side of equation. Because we as programmers can optimise for the specific GPU we can reach nearly 100 per cent utilisation of all the sub-units.

"That's just not possible on a PC. In addition to this we can do dirty MSAA tricks, like treating some surfaces as multi-sampled (for example hi-stencil masking the light-influence does that), or rendering multi-sampled shadowmaps, and then sampling correct sub-pixel values because we know exactly what pattern and what positions sub-samples have, etc."

"The majority of our Metro 2033 game runs at 40 to 50 frames per second, if we disable v-sync on 360," says Shishkovtsov. "The majority of the levels have more than 100MB heap space left unused. That means we under-utilised the hardware a bit."

Dabanton

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This game looks interesting. Hopefully it's more creepy and compelling than Fallout 3 with better shooting.

If STALKER is any indication then it will be miles more creepier than Fallout 3. Euro developers seem to have a knack for creating extremely desolate and 'believable' worlds.

Shooting can go either way frankly i loved being in a battle in STALKER and having my gun jam and having to fall back or quickly kill an enemy and take their weapon.

Adds some actual risk and danger to proceedings.

2real4tv

All the tech specs sound good...maybe its the lack of good footage but the graphics don't look impressive to me I think Halo Reach is looking better, the graphics look dated imo.

adelante

2real4tv said:
All the tech specs sound good...maybe its the lack of good footage but the graphics don't look impressive to me I think Halo Reach is looking better, the graphics look dated imo.
Heh...I was pretty happy with all the visual improvements Bungie's made for Reach but man, I don't think they even pushed as hard as this guys. The visual fidelity exceeds what I've seen of Reach so far (more impressive amount of light sources, shadow quality, healthy dose of AA, etc). And graphics seems to remain consistent in outdoor settings as well. I mean just look at this!!! (posting for those who haven't seen it yet): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cG2QEByyq4

2real4tv

adelante said:
Heh...I was pretty happy with all the visual improvements Bungie's made for Reach but man, I don't think they even pushed as hard as this guys. The visual fidelity exceeds what I've seen of Reach so far (more impressive amount of light sources, shadow quality, healthy dose of AA, etc)

This reminds me more of Fear 2 than anything. Character model also don't look good...but the game is not done(I think) so they have time to improve.

Dabanton

2real4tv said:

Oh go away.

This thread is clean of fanboy crap.

Anyway just finished reading that article,fills me with hope that we still haven't seen the best of the PS3 or 360.

The weird thing about this game is.
Because of the latest previews and the love it gets for the pc version (steamworks) great controls and just a "real" pc version.
I want to get it, but I know this game is going to be like 20 euro in 2 months..... with is a sad thing :(.

Amir0x

Banned
oh this looks fantastic.

Totally never heard about this game before this thread. Will purchase. THQ kicking ass lately.

BeeDog

This game sounds appealing as fuck, consider me hyped (especially since I barely knew of this game last week). Graphics are great, the lighting system seems especially impressive, though the levels seem a bit narrower than I'd want. Anyway, I hope this game is well-received, since a dystopian and well-made shooter is very welcome.

WEGGLES

Saw avatar gear for this on the 360 and had no idea what it was. (thought it was like the generic steam punk set, but with gas masks) then I saw this thread and was surprised avatar clothes had so many replies :lol :lol :lol . Read the thread and am now super pumped for it.

I better get a co-op or else I won't be able to afford all these games D;

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Honestly, I'm kind of happy this is a more tight, linear experience than Stalker. I want to see what these guys are able to do when they restrain the environment size and go for a more cinematic experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Stalker experience, but I am glad they are letting Stalker do the do what it does and trying something a little different.

squicken

So the article mentions coding to the metal, which I thought was forbidden on the 360? I thought 360 development was restricted to APIs as part of certification?

Mad_Ban

It's weird that THQ didn't want PS3 version made, considering that's what most publishers are pushing for. But it's nice that they're looking after the studio in that regard.

Bi50N

Stallion Free said:
Was I imagining things or did I read somewhere that the game will be in Russian with English subtitles? I hope there is an option for that at the very least. I'm really hyped for this game.

Yup, we added a Russian voice option. You can then turn subs on or off as you choose.

Since we're talking about options - you can also turn off the crosshairs (my preference), as well as any on-screen hints etc. for a totally clutter-free screen.

And you can set 'look' and 'aim' sensitivity independently of each other which I like

adelante

Amir0x said:
oh this looks fantastic.

Totally never heard about this game before this thread. Will purchase. THQ kicking ass lately.
Yeah game totally came out of leftfield for me. Personally I'm hoping it sees tons of sales solely because the devs worked hard to push the 360 hardware but whatever reasons will do at this point (considering so little was known about this game and suddenly it's coming out next month!?!) :O :D

Alucrid

Banned
Bi50N said:

Also includes about 2 minutes of 360 direct feed taken from our early January build.

They'll publish the full interview transcript next week, plus some additional videos from the 360 version.

Holy shit, a child!? Do my eyes deceive me? Advancement!

If I ever get a DX 11 card, this is the first thing I'll buy. Until then I'll get this on xbox.

drkOne

2real4tv said:
No, I won't take your bait, Mr Troll.

Sobriquet

WEGGLES said:
Saw avatar gear for this on the 360 and had no idea what it was. (thought it was like the generic steam punk set, but with gas masks) then I saw this thread and was surprised avatar clothes had so many replies :lol :lol :lol . Read the thread and am now super pumped for it.
That's exactly what I did! :lol

Broadbandito said:
so no mp? Achievements on pc?
from Metro 2033 facebook:
Metro 2033 Just to clear up some confusion - Metro 2033 on PC is a Games for Windows game, NOT a Games for Windows LIVE game. You heard it here first...
I don't know what does that actually mean. but I'm going to assume that it supports GFW Achievements but not Online Play through Live.

also, this might help.
All PC versions of Metro 2033 will be powered by Steamworks, providing gamers with auto-updating, Steam Achievements, Steam support for in-game DLC, and more.

Oreoleo

Solid warrior said:
from Metro 2033 facebook:

I don't know what does that actually mean. but I'm going to assume that it supports GFW Achievements but not Online Play through Live.

also, this might help.

The "Live" designation means it will have achievements, the 'dashboard' and match-making a la 360. "Games for Windows" without the "Live" is more of a general marketing term and doesn't include ANY of the aforementioned features.

Edit: The game uses Steamworks in place of Live essentially. Boxed retail copies will be tied to Steam and have Steam achievements/stats.

FLEABttn

Banned
I just found out this game is linear. The open world of Stalker really sort of killed it for me, so Metro 2033 is day one.

Pooya

The game box will have the Games for Windows banner not GfW LIVE, no live achievements,
steam is integrated into the game for steam achievements,patching etc.

Orellio said:
The "Live" designation means it will have achievements, the 'dashboard' and match-making a la 360. "Games for Windows" without the "Live" is more of a general marketing term and doesn't include ANY of the aforementioned features.

Edit: The game uses Steamworks in place of Live essentially. Boxed retail copies will be tied to Steam and have Steam achievements/stats.
oh, thanks for clearing that up. I wish that Metro 2033 had Live Achievements. I had the intention of buying it for my PC. but now, I'm gonna buy the 360 ver.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bi50N said:

Looks amazing, and they underutilized the 360, thanks to the PS3 they made it super optimized! :lol

Every game should start development on PS3 confirmed. Too bad PS3 isn't getting a version.

Game looks AMAZING

adelante said:
Yeah between Remedy's work and this, I'm really impressed with what they've been able to push out of the 360 at this stage

Capcom as well (with LP2) imo..
But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone really. It's a simple matter of dev focus.

All Metro 2033 does is magnify the fact that there is a glaring dearth of linear game development focus in Microsofts 1st party stable.

jns

I've already pre-ordered the collectors on 360 but will double dip for sure to see some PC sexiness. The 360 screens and movies look incredibly good, as a new member I'm looking forward to the plentiful gaf-gifs and meltdowns to follow release :D

adelante

WrikaWrek said:
Looks amazing, and they underutilized the 360, thanks to the PS3 they made it super optimized! :lol

Every game should start development on PS3 confirmed. Too bad PS3 isn't getting a version.

Game looks AMAZING
So architectural development on PS3 help further refine the game for the 360 it seems...:lol

abacab driver said:
Capcom as well (with LP2) imo..
But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone really. It's a simple matter of dev focus.
Well yeah that's the thing. As simple as you put it, it's fuckin rare to see devs put that much into a 360 game because the platform is generally easy to program games for so they don't feel compelled to "code to the metal"? Either way its refreshing to see this much dedication on the tech side, regardless of platform.

But yeah, Capcom's been kicking ass with their MT Frameworks engine. Love how their multiplatform games' been turning out

abacab driver said:
All Metro 2033 does is magnify the fact that there is a glaring dearth of linear game development focus in Microsofts 1st party stable.
I'd like to think that they have different priorities. And it sounds like in Metro 2033's case (according the DF article), they were more focus on lending third parties a hand in optimizing their games for the 360:

"The studio has a lot of console gamers but not that many console developers and Microsoft has put in a great effort to lower the entry barrier via its clearly superior tools, compilers and analysers."

Top Bottom