• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

I'll echo my thoughts from the Pokemon thread: I'm exited that it exists, I'll buy it when it's out, but why the hell don't they have anything to show?

latest

kaptain k.rool is back!
So pleased retro isn't working on metroid, it will mean we get a different interpretation for the series being a new developer and it frees up retro to finish the donkey kong trilogy.
Actually I'm very happy for Retro if they were sick of working on Metroid. I'm familiar with the feeling of being stuck working on the same, uh, stuff for too long. And if they're working on a franchise they themselves came up with even better.

Plus even if it's still Metroid Prime maybe a new dev came come up with new and fresh ideas :D

ZenTzen

Now that we have a 2.5D Metroid 2 remake and a new 1st person Metroid Prime

Can the next Metroid be a 3rd person perspective game, just spitballing here

Normally i'd be on the "give this new team a chance" wagon but I have a bad feeling. Retro knew what Metroid was about. Isolation. Claustrophobia. A powerful female character who didn't have to say a word to get shit done.

Then Other M came around and turned Metroid into a ton of shitty characters talking and Samus being a brain dead woman who needs to be told what to do from her strong male superior officer. I'll wait with baited breath regardless, but please. More Metroid Prime and less, far less (actually none) of Other M.

So what is Retro working on if they aren't making Prime 4? I hope whoever is picking up the project after them is talented enough to make it work.

flattie

Way way too early to make any calls. I'm just glad the game is getting made. Nobody expected the original Prime to turn out like it did, so there's no reason to jump to any conclusions.

If it is being internally developed, I do wonder if it will retain the 1st person view. Don't see many of those types of games from Japan; maybe it will be more like Splatoon in terms of perspective/controls.

XandBosch

Jeez, I have to leave this thread. How quickly this turns from "please make Metroid" to "wow this Metroid better be good".

It's kinda sickening.

Normally i'd be on the "give this new team a chance" wagon but I have a bad feeling. Retro knew what Metroid was about. Isolation. Claustrophobia. A powerful female character who didn't have to say a word to get shit done.

Then Other M came around and turned Metroid into a ton of shitty characters talking and Samus being a brain dead woman who needs to be told what to do from her strong male superior officer. I'll wait with baited breath regardless, but please. More Metroid Prime and less, far less (actually none) of Other M.
This is Nintendo internally. If anyone knows what Metroid is about its them.

Sheroking

I'll echo my thoughts from the Pokemon thread: I'm exited that it exists, I'll buy it when it's out, but why the hell don't they have anything to show?

As with Zelda in years past, they probably could show it if they wanted to and have chosen not to.

They like to focus on the here and now. Have a feeling that these were kind of "shut the fuck up" announcements.

wrowa

Jeez, I have to leave this thread. How quickly this turns from "please make Metroid" to "wow this Metroid better be good".

It's kinda sickening.

It's sickening people aren't just blindly hyping a game? I'm glad Metroid is back, but what are you supposed to say about a logo.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't like that they didn't show any footage, but it's nice that they are telling the fans that Metroid is alive.

It's kinda sickening.

There are a lot of things in life that are truly abhorrent and sickening. This would probably not even make bottom of that list.

Come on.

crash-14

I don't think they should have put this on the showcase if they didn't have a CG trailer even... And I know people wants to compare it with the Sony situation, but it's not

Just look at Beyond Good & Evil announcing the next installment was on development before a reveal in a press conference. I think that was the correct way to handle the situation

I think the 2D metroid should have been on the Spotlight. Then during the treehouse demo you announce that Metroid Prime 4 has started development. When the right time comes, you show something substancial about the game. Kinda what Borderlands 3 it's doing.

P.s: I have goosebumps every time I see "Now in development". I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan.

Valahart

I thought they didn't show any footage just to save it for later, but now the fact that this is not being made by Retro and that only a logo was shown makes me believe this is going to be the FE x SMT situation all over again.

Hope I'm wrong.

XandBosch

It's sickening people aren't just blindly hyping a game? I'm glad Metroid is back, but what are you supposed to say about a logo.

It's just sad how quickly excitement and celebration can turn into doom and gloom. If I had asked Gaf a week ago if they'd be worried or just happy that Prime 4 was announced, I'm pretty sure I'd know the answer...

There are a lot of things in life that are truly abhorrent and sickening. This would probably not even make bottom of that list.

Come on.

Have some relativity, Christ. I'm not comparing this to poverty or starvation, obviously it's in the context of this site and industry.

antonz

I'm putting my money on a version of the BOTW engine being used

Nintendo seems to be embracing UE4 which really makes sense. Its a fantastic engine already built that can do anything Nintendo would need. Miyamoto has publically stated Nintendo teams have "mastered" UE4

Servbot24

Banned
He will return.
250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

He's been involved in the stingers of the last two Prime games.

Edit:

"And introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime Universe"

Yup. It's Sylux.

Metroid NPC designs are so bad it actually feels offensive, lol. I hope they stick to creatures.

Wamb0wneD

Yall do know the core people or the ones that worked on the originals no longer are at Retro, right?

I do know that they made Recore while the people still at Retro made Tropical Freeze. So who freaking cares man. This is going to be bought up until the game comes out isn't it.

Shiggy

The Developer on fact sheet is Nintendo. That is what they use for internal EPD titles. Outsourced titles list the actual development studio as developer. It is not NLG.

I hadn't seen the fact sheet at that time. But if you look at the Pikmin fact sheet, you'll see it doesn't mean much. That game was developed by Arzest.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I didn't say he was perfect or did it alone, just that Retro carrying him is pretty hard to believe.

Edit: Also I never played Federation Force, so I'm not gonna judge it.
If only half of the posters in the FF 'response' threads were as mature as you.

I'm getting good vibes from this announcement. Part of it of course is that Prime 4 is actually a THING. But also I think reading the fact sheet I feel this is a confident game in the making. This and the 3DS game feels like a back to the basics sort of initiative after Metroid Other M took the franchise to bizarre directions.

Also while I'm sad Retro isn't at the helm of development (I'm sure they'll assist with arts and stuff), I am wiling to give this new team the benefit of the doubt as I did Retro way back in 2001 or so.

Glix

I don't think they should have put this on the showcase if they didn't have a CG trailer even... And I know people wants to compare it with the Sony situation, but it's not

Just look at Beyond Good & Evil announcing the next installment was on development before a reveal in a press conference. I think that was the correct way to handle the situation

I think the 2D metroid should have been on the Spotlight. Then during the treehouse demo you announce that Metroid Prime 4 has started development. When the right time comes, you show something substancial about the game. Kinda what Borderlands 3 it's doing.

P.s: I have goosebumps every time I see "Now in development". I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan.

The game was announced with a title card years ago lololololol. Almost exactly the same way that this was.

Xhaner5

Neo Member
Please drop whatever continuity around the federation and Sylux. No one cares.

The only story Metroid requires is a distress beam from an alien planet.

Ahahah yeah, laughed hard, I have to admit, if staying super-true to the MP1, you're right!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
He will return.
250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

He's been involved in the stingers of the last two Prime games.

Edit:

"And introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime Universe"

Yup. It's Sylux.
Yep when I read the about the announcement my mind immediately thought about the ending of Metroid Prime 3 with Sylux tailing Samus and the secret ending of Metroid Federations with Sylux stealing the Metroid from the Federation.

This is a fight that's been in the making for years now and that makes me very happy.

It would be very awesome if the others Hunters make an appearance or have some kind of role in the Story because I would like to see Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Trace and Wavel again.

flattie

The data sheet is certainly making the right noises; exploration, original Prime, isolation etc. But they really need to keep the trash tier story/universe as understated as possible. I loved MP3, but really struggled with the Halo for kids presentation.

MP1 (and 2) has all the inspiration they'll ever need.

On another note, I really hope they spend some time making some tricky morph ball puzzles. They were an awesome part of the originals.

Tagg9

I honestly don't understand why they felt the need to announce this with only a logo. It's a move right out of Square Enix's playbook.

Top Bottom