• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

It's happening! Oh man, 2 freaking real Metroid games and one is out pretty soon, what a time to be alive!
bvViOgc.gif

Timeaisis

New dev team, huh? That's...interesting. I mean I love Retro, but I'm kind of glad they get to do something else...

But still. Question is...

1) What the hell is Retro doing?
2) Who's on MP4? Internal Japan studio? Next Level? Someone completely new?

Enough of the worrying about Retro, for crying out loud. I have the utmost confidence in whatever they are working on to turn out well; they've given no reason to doubt their capabilities.

They're not working on Metroid Prime 4, so they're working on something else. And I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be just fine. Their track record speaks for itself.

(Also, the idea that Retro can't or shouldn't make a new Metroid Prime game because some of the team left a while back is nuts. Until they put out a game that isn't top-notch, I'm a believer in whatever they're making).

low-G

Seeing as only Metroid Prime 1 in the 3D series was incredible, it's OK that they're using a different developer. Retro wouldn't guarantee an amazing MP, especially after all these years.

Guess we're gonna find out how this is!

J@hranimo

Banned
New dev team, huh? That's...interesting. I mean I love Retro, but I'm kind of glad they get to do something else...

1) BBQ Simulator. No seriously, who knows! Maybe we'll see in a future Direct...
2) Since it's Tanabe leading it, I'm going to assume it's a bunch of younger devs. Kinda like the Splatoon dev team is filled with mostly younger people.

Sponge

Banned
I suspect it will be Nintendo's big game for holiday 2018. New IP, new engine, explains why they've been on it for 3 years and haven't shown anything yet.

I'm not sold on new IP just yet. Doesn't seem like Nintendo is keen on letting Donkey Kong slip into obscurity again. He's getting at ride at Universal Studios.

Retro not working on this means we get MP4 AND something new from Retro. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Only if Prime 4 delivers! O'm very cautiously optimistic about Prime 4 being developed back in Japan. We saw the kind of "royal" treatment Metroid got the last time a 3D game was handled over there!

id. Developing the most fast-paced combat system that lets Samus finish her foes off for a health bonus. Rip and tear mother brain's brain apart with your Joy-cons.

I'm not sold on new IP just yet. Doesn't seem like Nintendo is keen on letting Donkey Kong slip into obscurity again. He's getting at ride at Universal Studios.

I can't see them working on a 2D Donkey Kong with such a long development cycle. If it's a 3D platformer Donkey Kong then I'm down for that.

If it's actually a newly formed development team, there's a good chance Nintendo courted some of the original Prime talent. It wouldn't be without precedent for Nintendo to stay in touch with old development talent after they jumped ship.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Metroid doesn't need Retro even though it would be comforting to see them helm Prime. I'm confident a number of other developers including Nintendo's own internal studios could develop a Metroid worthy of the Prime title. Where I am wary is the aesthetic. Despite the staff changes, the Prime series is aesthetically coherent and consistent. Retro constructed a very specific look for Prime, and if I have one concern and request for Prime 4 it's that Nintendo's new team does not stray away from this. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I really love Prime's visual identity, particularly the choice of tones, neons, proportions, and overall stylisation. Don't toonify this shit, Nintendo.

"New Dev Team" also makes me wonder if it's a third party collaboration.

If it's actually a newly formed development team, there's a good chance Nintendo courted some of the original Prime talent. It wouldn't be without precedent for Nintendo to stay in touch with old development talent after they jumped ship.

I was actually wondering if this could be the case myself.

antonz

I imagine this will be an UE4 title. and as sprsk mentioned on Twitter. Imagine if this is Platinum working with Nintendo :eek:

XandBosch

Metroid doesn't need Retro even though it would be comforting to see them helm Prime. I'm confident a number of other developers including Nintendo's own internal studios could develop a Metroid worthy of the Prime title. Where I am wary is the aesthetic. Despite the staff changes, the Prime series is aesthetically coherent and consistent. Retro constructed a very specific look for Prime, and if I have one concern and request for Prime 4 it's that Nintendo's new team does not stray away from this. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I really love Prime's visual identity, particularly the choice of tones, neons, proportions, and overall stylisation. Don't toonify this shit, Nintendo.

If it was called something like "Prime: _____" I'd be more concerned in that department. The "4" leads me to believe they'll handle it like a true sequel. If anything it'll look even better, being that it's been a WHILE since 3.

correojon

Enough of the worrying about Retro, for crying out loud. I have the utmost confidence in whatever they are working on to turn out well; they've given no reason to doubt their capabilities.

They're not working on Metroid Prime 4, so they're working on something else. And I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be just fine. Their track record speaks for itself.

(Also, the idea that Retro can't or shouldn't make a new Metroid Prime game because some of the team left a while back is nuts. Until they put out a game that isn't top-notch, I'm a believer in whatever they're making).

Well said, I subscribe this 100%

??

There's been a good/great Donkey Kong game every gen.

Donkey Kong was kinda falling into the abyss during the GBA/GCN due to the lack of Rare. Jungle Beat was fun, but everything else was a throwaway spinoff. It wasn't until Retro picked up the series that it was able to get back to good graces. Would hate to see the series go under again if Retro leaves it.

nekomix

Well where is that team located ? It could be anywhere because Tanabe produced games made by Western teams so it could be an American or an European team...

People that are upset at no retro need to remember:

This isn't some third party team. It's an internal Nintendo team headed by the same producers that lead a no name no game studio make one of the greatest games of all time 15 years ago.

We've been talking about how they only showed a logo, but the ambiance and music they included in the reveal gives me reassurance that they're trying to maintain much of the visual identity.

Top Bottom