• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

it is weird Nintendo isnt ready to show what Retro has been working on for 3 years but are quick to show what this new dev have presumably just started on. Makes no sense.

Fine by me. Nintendo has great talent all over the place. It's nice to see them mix it up a bit.

Remember when it was the end of the world because this unknown "Retro Studios" that had some ex-Turok developers was allowed to work on the hallowed Metroid franchise?

Yeah, let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt. :)

FZZ

Banned
Wait new dev team?

Has Retro been delegated to being a B-Team that only helps with the development of other titles?

What in the world have they been working on for 3 years????

People shitting on an internal Nintendo team doing a Metroid game?

Guys, retro was a NOBODY when they made the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME under the exact same producers as this game.

Retro has two teams, isn't it? One of them is possibly working on DK (something I want very much), but what about the other one?

Not really. They have enough staff to work on one game with enough people left over to do support work on other Nintendo titles, but not enough to run two full projects.

it is weird Nintendo isnt ready to show what Retro has been working on for 3 years but are quick to show what this new dev have presumably just started on. Makes no sense.

I mean, they were willing to tease Fire Emblem but not Mario+Rabbids at the Switch Direct even though Fire Emblem was releasing late 2018 and Rabbids was coming out in seven months.

Celine

Maybe Retro Studios is working to a new IP (or a very old legacy IP rebooted) which wouldn't make sense to announce before they are ready.

Timbuktu

As others said, Retro might be working on a new IP. I guess it was ok just to show a logo of MP4 and fans would know roughly what that entails, but a something new might need to be shown further down the line and not within a showreel.

Schnozberry

I think it just lends credence to the idea that Retro is working on a new IP. Prime 4 they can just drop and people go nuts because it's a known quantity. New IP need to be polished to a luster before their initial showing otherwise people pick them apart. That's why we see so many CG trailers and target renders.

Nintendo learned from E3 2015.

The new Metroid 3DS game, even though a traditional title, would have been met with far more negative fan reaction if a new Switch title hadn't also been announced.

They're probably fine showing off Retro's next title much closer to release.

Macka

I'm starting to think that Nintendo saw the reaction to Ultra Sun & Moon being announced for the 3DS instead of the Switch, knew there would be more of the same with this new 3DS remake of Metroid II, and so scrambled to make a teaser for a Metroid Prime game that hasn't even started development yet...

Maybe Retro Studios is working to a new IP (or a very old legacy IP rebooted) which wouldn't make sense to announce before they are ready.

Ever since Alexander Brandon said that he's working with them, my money is on a new Sci-Fi shooter IP. That's Alexander Brandon's compositional wheelhouse haha

Guys it's Nintendo Internal. I'm pretty sure the game is in fine hands.
I think Nintendo does recognize that game tastes have changed so I have faith that they will treat this with caring hands. Metroid is probably their most 'western' ip right after Zelda. It a huge deal for them and I have full faith after the masterpiece that is BOTW.

As long as the direction is good I have no worries. Seems as if the director has quite a pedigree so I'm not worried at all. Time to pick up a switch. Does anyone know of anywhere that has them in stock?

NotLiquid

I'm really excited about new dev teams. They've been doing wonders for Nintendo, especially Splatoon. Getting fresh new eyes to take on Metroid is going to be a fun concept and I have to imagine they'll go in being huge fans of the source material.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sorry, clarified I was talking about the 3DS title - which was announced in TreeHouse. It's a little hectic in here.

Is the Retro we knew dead? There were a lot of rumors a couple of years ago about difficulties at the company after key talent left.

Retro is fine, they have never looked back after the first Prime despite many key staffers leaving.

Codeblue

Awful news.

Retro Studios practically carried Tanabe w/ 2 critically-acclaimed franchises. His resume outside of Retro is mediocre.

Retro is a different team now, but I'm not sure how you can make that claim considering Retro wasn't exactly putting out amazing games prior to Tanabe's oversight.

The stuff Armature puts out only supports that.

XandBosch

I'm starting to think that Nintendo saw the reaction to Ultra Sun & Moon being announced for the 3DS instead of the Switch, knew there would be more of the same with this new 3DS remake of Metroid II, and so scrambled to make a teaser for a Metroid Prime game that hasn't even started development yet...

I'd say it was more of a reaction to Federation Force than anything. Don't forget Reggie made that comment back in January about "ask me in a year about Metroid and we'll see if you're still worried".

balgajo

Imo it was a damage control announcement. They would announce a 3ds Metroid and people would get upset(with reason) that there's fucking nothing to Switch. Like Pokemon direct.

Ogodei

Get out of here, Sylux seems way more interesting than dark samus

TBH Sylux seemed less interesting than some of the others from Hunters. I liked the idea of the Kriken, another antagonist species that isn't the Space Pirates.

This game should be good to finally expand the mythos beyond the narrow box that Sakamoto's kept it in.

Indelible

It should be interesting to see what direction the new devs take the Prime series in, makes me very curious to see what Retro is working on.

Vinc

I think Nintendo is going to have one big tentpole release a year. And it seems like they realize that they need to innovate in game design and really invest in these titles.

Zelda (launch / likely 2016 planned game)
Mario (2017)
Ambitious DK by Retro (2018)
Metroid (2019)

I think that's the plan right now. And that's solid.

J@hranimo

Banned
A new team for 3D Metroid is actually a very good idea. Metroid needs new blood to continue on.

Retro has proven itself for three games in the franchise. They can definitely look to improve Metroid in the 3D space as well especially for more current times.

Optimistic they are going this route, looking forward to hearing more about this new team.

Top Bottom