• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

I think people need to calm down with the fact that Retro aren't developing this.

I'm a big fan of their work since the original Prime, but obviously they're working on something new to be under wraps for this long. That or another DKC game which, based on TF, is not a bad thing at all.

If they had interest in making another Prime, I think we'd have already have seen it by now.

An internal team at Nintendo EPD is no bad thing. Remember, a team there just brought out Breath of the Wild this year, one of most well received games ever.

With how far away MP4 seems, it wouldn't surprise me if a few members from that team are working under Tanabe for this. With how that game handled western open world RPG elements, I'm not worried for how they take on a first-person game.

Initially I was worried, but the more I think of this, the more excited I am for the future of the series. A new set of eyes.

This unknown European studio is the only thing I'm curious about, but hell, who had heard of Retro before Prime? Just have to have faith that Nintendo know what they're doing in selecting teams to work on their projects. The original Prime was an amazing game that went through development hell after all.

Metroid just being alive with two games, one 3D and one 2D, is something none of us really expected to happen today, despite doubts on both games we have seen today. It's still a time to celebrate.

We've been talking about how they only showed a logo, but the ambiance and music they included in the reveal gives me reassurance that they're trying to maintain much of the visual identity.

That's a start!

Tanabe has also expressed his desire in widening the scope of the Metroid universe to include the Galactic Federation as an important player. Hopefully after the failure of Federation Force, those notions were put to bed and we can have a Metroid Prime with the same emphasis on solitude and isolation as the original.

ITSMILNER

The exciting news other than a new MP is the fact a new Nintendo dev team has been created. Another team to create new software for Switch

The exciting news other than a new MP is the fact a new Nintendo dev team has been created. Another team to create new software for Switch
Yup. Adding fresh new blood is the best thing that ever happened to Nintendo in recent years. We got Splatoon and BOTW as a result. I'd include ARMS but that's releasing this Friday so we shall see!

Griss

I wasn't a fan of the reveal being just a logo, but now that they've shown Samus Returns for 3ds I get why they did it - if they'd just had a 3ds game fans would have been upset that Metroid was skipping Switch. Having established that a new Prime is coming, the atmosphere was right to then introduce that game. Good thinking on their part.

Metroid doesn't need Retro even though it would be comforting to see them helm Prime. I'm confident a number of other developers including Nintendo's own internal studios could develop a Metroid worthy of the Prime title. Where I am wary is the aesthetic. Despite the staff changes, the Prime series is aesthetically coherent and consistent. Retro constructed a very specific look for Prime, and if I have one concern and request for Prime 4 it's that Nintendo's new team does not stray away from this. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I really love Prime's visual identity, particularly the choice of tones, neons, proportions, and overall stylisation. Don't toonify this shit, Nintendo.

"New Dev Team" also makes me wonder if it's a third party collaboration.

Well said, but I'd have a second concern. That's the fact that Tanabe has shown a predilection towards involving the Federation and other characters in Samus' story, and that doesn't work for Metroid, imo. His proposal of a game involving C-grade character Sylux is a really poor idea conceptually, in the same way his idea for Federation Force was a poor idea conceptually.

If they bring it back to what Metroid Prime was - Samus, alone, on an alien planet - all will be well. If they try and tell some Saturday morning cartoon story about Samus' rivalry with some joker introduced in a DS spinoff... things will not go well.

The start of Metroid Prime 3, Other M, Federation Force, MP Hunters... all of the worst Metroid games or parts of Metroid games are when they go in that direction.

"New Dev Team" also makes me wonder if it's a third party collaboration.
I've been wondering if it's an ad hoc team like they've done with the last couple Smash Bros. games. Lead design done internally at Nintendo with some outside programming work. Should be interesting...at the very least, it's a fresh take on the series after 10 years, which is exciting in and of itself.

I literally screamed "Fuck!" gasped with excitement at the teaser during the livestream. It's my most wanted thing for Switch.

Now how about Trilogy HD remaster, Ninty?

Cheebo

Banned
There's no source or rumour pointing to that, is there? That rumour was about Metroid 3DS and turned out correct.

Nintendo says it is a new dev team. If it was NLG they would say NLG. They wouldnt refuse to name a third party who is making it if it was outsourced.

XandBosch

tumblr_m7oxz8Azg61qcf707o4_500.gif

Shiggy

Nintendo says it is a new dev team. If it was NLG they would say NLG. They wouldnt refuse to name a third party who is making it if it was outsourced.

New team could just mean "different team", as in not by Retro Studios. They aren't too specific here yet.

Well said, but I'd have a second concern. That's the fact that Tanabe has shown a predilection towards involving the Federation and other characters in Samus' story, and that doesn't work for Metroid, imo. His proposal of a game involving C-grade character Sylux is a really poor idea conceptually, in the same way his idea for Federation Force was a poor idea conceptually.

If they bring it back to what Metroid Prime was - Samus, alone, on an alien planet - all will be well. If they try and tell some Saturday morning cartoon story about Samus' rivalry with some joker introduced in a DS spinoff... things will not go well.

The start of Metroid Prime 3, Other M, Federation Force, MP Hunters... all of the worst Metroid games or parts of Metroid games are when they go in that direction.
Totally agree on every part and I have a feeling that the direction once again will be that one. Some Federation conspiracy with other bounty hunters and whatever...

wrowa

I sadly don't trust Nintendo's people in charge of the Metroid franchise anymore. Tanabe seems to be really interested in the federation and the other bounty hunters, but those are literally the least appealing aspects of Metroid to me. I really hope whatever this will be will return to MP's roots, but I'm sadly not confident this is what will happen.

Retro would have been nice since they consistently put out great games, but I'm fine with giving a new team
a chance as well. I just hope they'll try to follow Retro's approach to the series. What made past Prime games so great - and was completely absent in Other M and Federation Force - was their fantastic art design and I really hope this will be a priority for the new team as well.

Let's see.

Get out of here, Sylux seems way more interesting than dark samus

Get all these D-tier characters out of my Metroid. Worst part of Other M was Samus taking orders from some loser. Since when does Samus need to follow anyone else's command? "I'm authorizing you to use your own goddamned missiles" Ugh.

Stick me on an Alien planet with Samus. By my lonesome. And i'm good. I have a bad feeling this Sylux stuff is going to be some boring scripted romance stuff that I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about.

He will return.
250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

He's been involved in the stingers of the last two Prime games.

Edit:

"And introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime Universe"

Yup. It's Sylux.

Top Bottom