• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy announced for Wii! All 3 on one disc!

upandaway said:
Wait, if it's under embargo, where are all these reviews coming from?
Embargo doesn't just mean a review

More than likely, when Matt was Retro, they mentioned a feature to him but asked him not to talk about it.

Matt comes back and says "OMG EMBARGO"

And internet further extrapolates that as "OMG HIDDEN DEMO POSSIBLE"

upandaway

ShockingAlberto said:

More than likely, when Matt was Retro, they mentioned a feature to him but asked him not to talk about it.

Well, um, I don't wanna add fuel now, but if it's a feature that can be excluded when reviewing and scoring the game.... it's not a feature related to the core game itself......? It's a logical conclusion.... right?

Demo? Trailer? Picture? Lore?

upandaway said:
Well, um, I don't wanna add fuel now, but if it's a feature that can be excluded when reviewing and scoring the game.... it's not a feature related to the core game itself......? It's a logical conclusion.... right?

Demo? Trailer? Picture? Lore?
My best guess is it's some history of Metroid featurette like was on the Prime 2 demo disc, but more fleshed out.

ZealousD said:
It's not totally needless and obtuse. The overall Echoes world is actually shaped more logically than its predecessor. You have the center area with its own central area on top, and then three distinct branches. The center area and the branches are all connected to each other, so you can eventually reach any area from any other area.

The first game's world is a lot more jumbled by comparison, like a pile of spaghetti.
If by "more logically" you mean "more contrived", I wholly agree. Symmetry alone does not necessarily mean good design. Sure you can eventually get to any area from another, but you often have to take extremely circuitous routes. Despite being "a pile of spaghetti" the map in Prime is ultimately more memorable and easier to navigate. Echoes is full of bottlenecks.

OMG Aero said:
Guys, come on. It is FAR too early for there to be an Other M demo. Not to mention that Nintendo isn't a big fan of demos.
Yeah, that would be like packing an Echoes demo with copies of Metroid Prime. Nintendo would never do anything like that!

If there were an Other M demo with the Prime Trilogy we'd know by now.

one_kill

I hope Australia gets the tin =( Like someone said above, it just seems to complete the package.

Also:
So what about Australia? We don’t even know if we’ll be getting the steel book as of yet, however back in July Rose Lappin, the Managing Director of Nintendo Australia did hint that when we get the game “it’s got a little… special item in the book.” What’s exactly is this special item? “Just a little something in the book, but we need people to wait for that.” - Vooks
I'm thinking the special item is a code. Probably used to download something from the Wii Shop Channel. Could be a demo, like a few have suggested, or it could simply be the original Metroid game, like what NOE is doing.

Giolon

I doubt that Other M is far enough along for a demo, given how little they showed at E3. Regardless, I'm looking forward to this re-release! MP3 controls were great and it'll be great to have them and widescreen in MP1. MP2 will still be "meh" though.

Osuwari

hmmm another day, another backtracking bitchfest.

i wonder what did they add to the set to warrant an embargo... it must be an extra since the jp versions have been out for a while and the stuff they put in them is known already.

i won't hype me up because it will be probably something lame or stupid to make dumb people fall for it.

also, mp2>mp1>mp3 *puts on flame suit and grabs jetpack*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
upandaway said:
ZealousD: Prime's overworld is a mess only if you're progressing out of order (in which case, you will know the overworld well enough for this not to be an issue). For a first time player the game is like a straight road up until at least two thirds in. The magic is that you never even notice.

I've only gone through the game once. The trilogy will be my second playthrough.

So no, the overworld is definitely a spaghetti mess. There's no way for me to try and fit the entire world into a logical 3D space unless you assume that the elevators do all sort of crazy twists and turns and shit.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
If by "more logically" you mean "more contrived", I wholly agree. Symmetry alone does not necessarily mean good design. Sure you can eventually get to any area from another, but you often have to take extremely circuitous routes. Despite being "a pile of spaghetti" the map in Prime is ultimately more memorable and easier to navigate. Echoes is full of bottlenecks.

Well, if you talk about navigating the dark world, than bottlenecks are common. But ultimately, I had trouble memorizing paths in the first game. I can sort of picture how the specific areas are laid out, but I couldn't tell you how they connect all that well.

VegaShinra

ShockingAlberto said:

Would Retro really be the one to have a say about the demo, though? They aren't behind Other M, so it is more than likely something totally unrelated. Metroid Dred perhaps....

etiolate

Banned
The first game's world and level design trumps the second's. The second suffered from caving into the cries of the dumbasses. Multiplayer, more flowchart-like world design, etc.

OnPoint

etiolate said:
The first game's world and level design trumps the second's. The second suffered from caving into the cries of the dumbasses. Multiplayer, more flowchart-like world design, etc.

I'm so glad there's a voice of reason here.

This compilation is great but Nintendo missed an opportunity here.

Imagine a sort of "EX mode" with the 3 games linked in a consecutive play but without the "filler" artifacts, key or cell quests. Just like the traditional games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I seriously doubt there's anything in the package that warrants the embargo. It's probably just Nintendo being paranoid dicks and locking down any and all reviews until the game is out on shelves.

Leondexter said:
I agree, too.
1rzuc9.gif

Parts of 2 > 1 > 3 > the rest of 2

upandaway

Refreshment.01 said:
This compilation is great but Nintendo missed an opportunity here.

Imagine a sort of "EX mode" with the 3 games linked in a consecutive play but without the "filler" artifacts, key or cell quests. Just like the traditional games.
I don't see it. What's appealing about such a thing?

In the case that you want a new challenge to speedrun, that's simply insane. Just one of the primes is one hour of non-stop intensity, and the artifacts have almost no weight at all to be an issue.
In the case that you want to play the games for exploration/experience, why is it any different/better than the normal 3 games? The artifacts never disturbed me at all. They were in really awesome rooms and puzzles. In a game that requires such an amount of traveling across the overworld, the enjoyment comes from trying to go through rooms as fast as possible or to go as long as possible without looking at the map. To me, at least.

In short, I don't think it's a missed opportunity, but rather a filler mode that could have replaced something nicer like the achievement implementation into 1 and 2.

On a related subject, I do think a boss rush could have been awesome. It would have required way more work than what Nintendo was willing to invest, I'd bet.
Unless it's the reason for the embargo

Oli

Minamu said:
May I ask which parts?

Samus encounters with Dark Samus maybe?

Personally, I think MP1 has a slight edge over MP2. I only say that because I like the way the world meshes together through multiple points. It was fun planning routes to your destination, made the world feel more real. Echoes had more of a hub system, with the main overworld linking to all of the sub areas.

Corruption comes in third, only because I prefer the slower exploration elements a bit more than the action bits. Still love all three games, but I'd order them 1>2>3, with very small gaps inbetween.

upandaway said:
I don't see it. What's appealing about such a thing?

In the case that you want a new challenge to speedrun, that's simply insane. Just one of the primes is one hour of non-stop intensity, and the artifacts have almost no weight at all to be an issue.
In the case that you want to play the games for exploration/experience, why is it any different/better than the normal 3 games? The artifacts never disturbed me at all. They were in really awesome rooms and puzzles. In a game that requires such an amount of traveling across the overworld, the enjoyment comes from trying to go through rooms as fast as possible or to go as long as possible without looking at the map. To me, at least.

In short, I don't think it's a missed opportunity, but rather a filler mode that could have replaced something nicer like the achievement implementation into 1 and 2.
I can understand that it didn't bother you personally.

But the thing is collectibles such as the artifacts in MP1 or Keys in MP2 are just to (how to put this) artificially enlarge the play time of the game. This collectibles don't have any impact in your abilities, the way the items did in the traditional games of the series. More over, due to the transition to 3D environment some of the flow and pacing of the game had to be slowed down, so adding extra fetch quests (which brings extra backtracking) didn't improve things.

To be clear, im not against the artifacts for example, it's just that it should have been handled like an optional thing and not a prerequisite to complete the game. In super Metroid for example this keys were given to you automatically after beating certain bosses.

As for whats the appeal? I refute with: "Whats not to like?" A closed arc in the series with the extra fat removed could do wonders to the flow of these games. As an extra mode i think there's a lot it could bring to the table, specially for the devoted players, speed runners would be delighted also.

Apenheul

What I liked about Echoes was that there was a lot of planning involved with exploration, moreso than in MP1. Especially in Torvus Bog. Dark Aether made exploration even more interesting (although some people find it irritating) having to plan and time how you nagivate from one bubble to another. Echoes is for me the pinnacle of the Prime series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I’ve said before, I always like Prime and Echoes to Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.

In both instances, the first entry is very traditional. It takes very common game design elements from the franchise and successfully transports them to a 3D world, reworking many mechanics to function on a new axis. The games feel both fresh and familiar.

Then, in the case of Echoes and Majora’s Mask, they take the foundations laid by their predecessor and decide to ditch being overly traditional in favour of something different. They still function, on a base level, similar to their original 3D entries, but decide to try new things that are both new to the franchise and new to the 3D entries.

upandaway

EatChildren said:
As I’ve said before, I always like Prime and Echoes to Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.

In both instances, the first entry is very traditional. It takes very common game design elements from the franchise and successfully transports them to a 3D world, reworking many mechanics to function on a new axis. The games feel both fresh and familiar.

Then, in the case of Echoes and Majora’s Mask, they take the foundations laid by their predecessor and decide to ditch being overly traditional in favour of something different. They still function, on a base level, similar to their original 3D entries, but decide to try new things that are both new to the franchise and new to the 3D entries.
Can't the same be said to almost every first trilogy ever?

Think about it.

Wait, I kinda had Zelda 1/2/3 in my head and not OoT/MM when I said that, but still, I think what you said goes for every trilogy almost.

Flangus

Neo Member
Has anyone else thought about what could have been had they tried to add Motion Plus support? Don't get me wrong... I'm really excited for the pointer controls, but had Motion Plus come out earlier, perhaps Metroid Prime Trilogy could have been a paradigm shift for Wii shooters leading to dependence more on wrist orientation to move the cursor than on pointing at the screen. Oh well...

upandaway

Flangus said:
Has anyone else thought about what could have been had they tried to add Motion Plus support? Don't get me wrong... I'm really excited for the pointer controls, but had Motion Plus come out earlier, perhaps Metroid Prime Trilogy could have been a paradigm shift for Wii shooters leading to dependence more on wrist orientation to move the cursor than on pointing at the screen. Oh well...
Guns don't work that way though.

You point, you shoot. Done. It doesn't matter how you hold it.
Besides, the games are completed, and there is nothing in them that can make use of M+. Absolutely nothing. Anything added and it's just tacked on.

Top Bottom