• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy announced for Wii! All 3 on one disc!

Osuwari

DustinC said:
Got home, ready to play, aaaaaand my disc doesn't work. : /

sounds like SSBB disc problem v2 *insert "and here we go" joker pic*
i wonder why the wii lens suck so much when it comes to dual layered discs... i really hope mine doesn't come up with this bullshit since i sent it for repair just 3 months ago because my old laser died.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bumpkin said:
This seems to be the consensus.
what consensus? among weekend players, maybe?

echoes was the pinnnacle of the series. retro were given a carte blanche to do the perfect prime as they see it and they came up with echoes. haters can go suck a thumb.

DustinC

Osuwari said:
sounds like SSBB disc problem v2 *insert "and here we go" joker pic*
i wonder why the wii lens suck so much when it comes to dual layered discs... i really hope mine doesn't come up with this bullshit since i sent it for repair just 3 months ago because my old laser died.

That might be right. I'll test this out on another Wii in the morning and see if I have any luck. I've been putting off getting my Wii repaired from the sparkly sprite problem, I guess I'll just need to suck it up now.

Edit: Fuuuuuck, I'm out of warranty too? :lol

upandaway

blu said:
what consensus? among weekend players, maybe?

echoes was the pinnnacle of the series. retro were given a carte blanche to do the perfect prime as they see it and they came up with echoes. haters can go suck a thumb.
You guys can stop stating your opinions as facts now. There are at least 3 different camps for these comparisons and they're all equal in size.

Xellos

DustinC said:
That might be right. I'll test this out on another Wii in the morning and see if I have any luck. I've been putting off getting my Wii repaired from the sparkly sprite problem, I guess I'll just need to suck it up now.

Edit: Fuuuuuck, I'm out of warranty too? :lol

If it is the lens, maybe a lens cleaner would do the job? Nintendo makes one.

topofuji

Banned
Gamestop/EBGames' sites had the poster/shirt preorder bonuses up yesterday, but now only the shirt. I preordered while the poster was still there, will I still be getting that too? (I literally checked a few hours later and the poster offer was removed)

botticus

topofuji said:
Gamestop/EBGames' sites had the poster/shirt preorder bonuses up yesterday, but now only the shirt. I preordered while the poster was still there, will I still be getting that too? (I literally checked a few hours later and the poster offer was removed)
Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. I preordered Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon in December when they first listed the bonus for that. Bonus disappeared sometime shortly before release in February, and I got nothin.

Sadly the online store is only slightly more reliable in terms of getting bonuses with your purchases than the store.

JGS

Banned
Balb said:
Nintendo first party games have been this way long before the Wii in terms of pricing anyway.

They had Player's Choice in th GC days. Nothing like that now. I remember Iwata saying they were not going to do price drops this gen if they could help it which they obviously can.

Davey Cakes

bumpkin said:
This seems to be the consensus. I'll definitely play through MP1 and MP3 again once I get the Trilogy. MP2 on the other hand, well, I'll give it a try (I only played the demo on 'Cube) but I'm not expecting to be amazed.
Not really. The consensus seems to be that MP2 isn't as good as MP1. Though I myself still believe that MP2 is better than MP3, if only by a slight bit.

When people talk about how bad MP2 is, they do so with extreme hyperbole, especially when comparing it to the other games. Honestly, in my opinion, if MP1 is a 10/10, both MP2 and MP3 are 9/10 games. Not on the same level in terms of impact or freshness, but still high quality experiences.

I can't stand it when people act like MP2 is completely worth skipping. Disgraceful.

The reason people regard the Metroid Prime trilogy as one of the best trilogies ever isn't because only two of the games are good. It's because all of the games are good.

Osuwari

the consensus where i think everyone can agree is that the series isn't for everyone. it requires a specific taste to enjoy fully (that's why you see people who plain hate the whole trilogy or completely dislike 1 or 2 games)

sphinx

the piano man
Leondexter said:
There is no consensus. My enjoyment was MP2 > MP1 >>>>MP3

Absolutely agree.

Prime 1 and 2 are both amazing, each and every corner of them.

MP3 reeks of series fatigue of the developers and aside the city in sky, its very uninspired. I can't remeber the name of any boss and shitty friends are shitty.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Time to man up and admit a terrible thing....
I have never played a Metroid game for more than 30 minutes, and have never played any of the gamecube ones or the wii one. I saw my friend play the Phazon mines part and decided that was too much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Is it too late for my soul to be saved???

Spider from Mars said:
I have never played a Metroid game for more than 30 minutes, and have never played any of the gamecube ones or the wii one. I saw my friend play the Phazon mines part and decided that was too much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Yeah, probably

Might as well try, anyway

Struct09

Spider from Mars said:

Begin your path of salvation with Super Metroid on VC

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Struct09 said:
Begin your path of salvation with Super Metroid on VC
I have the super Nintendo version haha, but i can not get into for the life of me. I have started it at least 4 times and never play it for more than half an hour or so before stopping,I always see it mentioned as one of the best games of all time and it baffles me. Does it get significantly better at the 1 or 2 hour mark? And what about the gamecube games? Heavy Backtracking is a gaming peeve of mine and that seems to be a staple of this and castlevania, which may be why i am not a fan of this type of game. Shadow Complex piqued my interest however...the demo was pretty damn good. I am still debating whether to purchase it or not, same goes with this 3 pack.

upandaway

Spider from Mars said:
I have the super Nintendo version haha, but i can not get into for the life of me. I have started it at least 4 times and never play it for more than half an hour or so before stopping,I always see it mentioned as one of the best games of all time and it baffles me. Does it get significantly better at the 1 or 2 hour mark? And what about the gamecube games? Heavy Backtracking is a gaming peeve of mine and that seems to be a staple of this and castlevania, which may be why i am not a fan of this type of game. Shadow Complex piqued my interest however...the demo was pretty damn good. I am still debating whether to purchase it or not, same goes with this 3 pack.
As with all games focused on empowerment, yeah, it does get better the more you play, the more you find. At the end of the game you feel like a tank, and not only because of your items, but also because of your knowledge. You can't progress unless you remember the map, and that requires you to play either of the games without putting, say, 1 month break in between.

Spider from Mars said:

If you don't like it, you won't like it.

There are a lot of different types of gamers and things that people enjoy. Metroid appeals strongly to "exploration" gamers, people who really want to get to know a world and put effort into memorizing maps and things. One of the main hooks for Metroid is seeing things you can't do quite yet, but when you get the power-up for it, makes you think, "YES! I can finally go there!" It's about enjoying an environment to the fullest through a progression of movesets. If you get a new way to move and explore, and it doesn't make you want to go back to a previous area and explore the bits you couldn't before, I don't think Metroid is going to appeal to you, maybe ever.

Metroid Prime 3 probably has the best shot because it's more linear, though.

Top Bottom