• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy announced for Wii! All 3 on one disc!

Flangus

Neo Member
upandaway said:
Guns don't work that way though.

You point, you shoot. Done. It doesn't matter how you hold it.
Besides, the games are completed, and there is nothing in them that can make use of M+. Absolutely nothing. Anything added and it's just tacked on.
I don't know if I was clear about what I was saying. I am NOT saying anything about new, tacked on functionality. That would be stupid. I'm just saying that as great as Wii IR pointer control is, perhaps it would be better if the position of the cursor was based on the orientation of the Wiimote (as is only possible with Motion Plus). That way you wouldn't necessarily have to be pointing at the screen to move the cursor. It would just be a different way to move the cursor on the screen. When it hits the edge of the screen, you turn, same as before. I'm just saying MAYBE it would be more precise (though maybe it wouldn't be...)

Now that I think about it, maybe they could have done something else with Motion Plus instead. Perhaps they could have eliminated the bounding box idea that has been essential to Wii first person games. Imagine this- IR control of the cursor itself, but the Wiimote's orientation moves your field of vision. Essentially, turn the Wiimote to turn, but you still point at the screen to shoot.

Again, I'm not saying Retro should have tacked on fundamentally different gameplay. I'm just saying maybe they could have used the benefits of Motion Plus to make Wii first person better than was possible in the days that IR dependence was the only feasible way to make it work (as was the case when MP3 came out).

ZAK

Flangus said:
I don't know if I was clear about what I was saying. I am NOT saying anything about new, tacked on functionality. That would be stupid. I'm just saying that as great as Wii IR pointer control is, perhaps it would be better if the position of the cursor was based on the orientation of the Wiimote (as is only possible with Motion Plus). That way you wouldn't necessarily have to be pointing at the screen to move the cursor. It would just be a different way to move the cursor on the screen. When it hits the edge of the screen, you turn, same as before. I'm just saying MAYBE it would be more precise (though maybe it wouldn't be...)

Now that I think about it, maybe they could have done something else with Motion Plus instead. Perhaps they could have eliminated the bounding box idea that has been essential to Wii first person games. Imagine this- IR control of the cursor itself, but the Wiimote's orientation moves your field of vision. Essentially, turn the Wiimote to turn, but you still point at the screen to shoot.

Again, I'm not saying Retro should have tacked on fundamentally different gameplay. I'm just saying maybe they could have used the benefits of Motion Plus to make Wii first person better than was possible in the days that IR dependence was the only feasible way to make it work (as was the case when MP3 came out).
To me, this would be completely unintuitive. I dunno about you, but I turn the Wiimote to point. I point all over the screen but the Wiimote largely remains in the same place. Under your system, I would have to move it perpendicularly to the screen to point somewhere else? That sounds unnatural.

But of course I haven't experienced it, so who knows.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My order MP1>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>3. MP3 was almost as big a dissapointment as Twilight Princess for me.

scitek

ZAK said:
To me, this would be completely unintuitive. I dunno about you, but I turn the Wiimote to point. I point all over the screen but the Wiimote largely remains in the same place. Under your system, I would have to move it perpendicularly to the screen to point somewhere else? That sounds unnatural.

But of course I haven't experienced it, so who knows.

Red Steel 2 is actually implementing what he's talking about. Just in case you rreticule goes off-screen, it won't totally lose track of where you're pointing. Most games just auto-center the cursor till it gets back.

ciD_Vain

scitek said:
Red Steel 2 is actually implementing what he's talking about. Just in case you rreticule goes off-screen, it won't totally lose track of where you're pointing. Most games just auto-center the cursor till it gets back.
Nice, it was always annoying when I would point off screen and by accident point at an open window and it would go all wacky. I guess I should just shut the blinds though

ryan-ts

scitek said:

Thats awesome, Red Steel 2 keeps getting better.

Az987

all good things
Dunno if this has been posted yet but @ Best Buy, if your a Reward Zone gamers club member and you print a coupon off the gamers club website, you get a 10$ gift card when u purchase Metroid Prime Trilogy. Its good from August 25th - September 6th

ruxtpin

Banned
I wasn't having much luck with search, but does anyone know the store that's selling the game with a $10 gift card? Thanks

Edit: Damn it. Right as I'm typing the poster in front of me answers my question. =P

ZAK

scitek said:
I was talking about the "eliminate the bounding box" thing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Flangus said:

Is the Motion Plus precise enough to do this continuously?

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but until we try it we don't know how well it would work. I mean, you're basically proposing turning to be done with the Motion Plus right? You'd need to have a lot of accuracy to completely eliminate the bouding box idea and replace it with Motion Plus. You're essentially proposing a third analog.

Flangus

Neo Member
Azelover said:
Is the Motion Plus precise enough to do this continuously?

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but until we try it we don't know how well it would work. I mean, you're basically proposing turning to be done with the Motion Plus right? You'd need to have a lot of accuracy to completely eliminate the bouding box idea and replace it with Motion Plus. You're essentially proposing a third analog.
It may very well not be accurate enough to do what I'm saying, but some of the stuff it tracks in Wii Sports Resort has impressed me enough to hope that developers start trying out some unconventional stuff like this. You're right; it would be a third analog in that case, and to me controls allowing for three analog style inputs would really validate the promise of the Wii (that's not meant to be trolling- I love my Wii. I just think there's untapped potential there, especially with Motion Plus). Sorry if this whole discussion is too much of a derail. I'm a bit new here...

Also, add me to those dreaming of an Other M demo even though I know it won't happen

EDIT: Also, I'm thrilled to hear Red Steel 2 tries some of this stuff. I had written that game off. Now I need to check it out when it hits

upandaway

Flangus said:

At one point I thought this was what you meant, but I thought about the calibration M+ requires and deleted the idea. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Still, like I just said, there's the calibration issue. There aren't many games that have absolutely no pause during gameplay, but the Trilogy is just that, and using M+ for the most basic gameplay enhancements like you mean can't be possible without some recalibration once in a while.

Then again, apparently Red Steel 2 has some trick that goes through this.. it does come quite a bit after this compilation.

pulga

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
What the hell does refining bosses mean? Could I finally beat Omega Pirate on Hard mode?

In a perfect world, it'd mean they're replacing some crappy boss like Sheegoth with Kraid :(

upandaway

pulga said:
In a perfect world, it'd mean they're replacing some crappy boss like Sheegoth with Kraid :(
What the hell is wrong with Sheegoth? I liked that dude. He's okay.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kraid, but sometimes you gotta make way for the new guys.
Though if Kraid isn't in Other M things will happen.

Also worth noting from the video, between the 1st person view and now the whole visor system, you just can't replace Miyamoto.

Osuwari

ChoklitReign said:
What the hell does refining bosses mean? Could I finally beat Omega Pirate on Hard mode?

nah

they just removed glitches like using boost ball to hit ridley to cut the flying phase or the trick to kill emperor ing with the screw attack in 10 seconds.

the bosses themselves play about the same in the old difficulties and are easier in the new normal mode.

(btw, omega pirate is not very hard. just use well-timed super missiles/charged plasma shots on him and you can kill him in no time. also, try to not be too close to him to avoid his attacks and use power bombs to break his armor)

the thoroughbred said:
Any news on a UK tin case and posters, special pre-order only deal, or no word yet?

They're giving free Metroid (NES) download to UKers (and maybe Europeans?) if you've previously registered Prime 1,2 or 3 and if you're one of the first 500 to register Trilogy. This offer doesn't really make me want buy Trilogy now as opposed to down the line when it hits the sub £20 mark. :/

upandaway

wackojackosnose said:
They're giving free Metroid (NES) download to UKers (and maybe Europeans?) if you've previously registered Prime 1,2 or 3 and if you're one of the first 500 to register Trilogy. This offer doesn't really make me want buy Trilogy now as opposed to down the line when it hits the sub £20 mark. :/
I wouldn't hold my breath for price drops. How much does Twilight Princess sell for still? Nintendo's about keeping it high this generation.

And considering how rare it is for them to do a compilation like this, they must consider the value to be insane like I do.

upandaway said:
I wouldn't hold my breath for price drops. How much does Twilight Princess sell for still? Nintendo's about keeping it high this generation.

And considering how rare it is for them to do a compilation like this, they must consider the value to be insane like I do.

£20

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5683415/Trail/searchtext>TWILIGHT+PRINCESS.htm

I picked up TP last year as part of a buy 1 get 1 free with Okami (total £30), but I get your point about Nintendo games holding onto their RRP compared to other publishers (though I have seen some of their games bomb this gen - Wii Music @ £10, Rhythm Paradise @ £15 after a week of release :/). I just prefer to mop up during clearances. :)

Flangus said:

This is basically turning the Wii-Remote into a mouse. Heck, I've got a Gyration mouse that controls *exactly* that way. Works well for me with first-person shooters, but Metroid isn't really about super precise shooting, as it's more of an adventure game than a shooter. But I guess some people would prefer that.

Balb

upandaway said:

Nintendo first party games have been this way long before the Wii in terms of pricing anyway.

upandaway

Balb said:
Nintendo first party games have been this way long before the Wii in terms of pricing anyway.
Whatever you say. I wasn't really around back then and there's no documentary.
Point stands taller, I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ChoklitReign said:

Boost Guardian flashed on the screen when that was mentioned.

So hopefully boost guardian and spider ball guardian aren't as ridiculous anymore.

DustinC

Review copy of this showed up today. I didn't have anything attached about an embargo, but I'll need to check on that I guess. I won't get to play until later this evening, but at least the steelbook is pretty to look at. :lol

The Hermit

Brandon F said:
My order MP1>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>3. MP3 was almost as big a disappointment as Twilight Princess for me.

eh, took the words out of my mouth. Mp1 and 2 with new controls worth the trilogy anyway.

JSnake

DustinC said:
Review copy of this showed up today. I didn't have anything attached about an embargo, but I'll need to check on that I guess. I won't get to play until later this evening, but at least the steelbook is pretty to look at. :lol

Mine is coming later today. :)

Anyone want me to take pics?

DustinC

Yeah, no embargo confirmed. No demo for Other M either, which I'm sure people weren't realistically expecting, unless it's a well hidden unlockable. Fusion suit is still in Prime 1 too, obviously no need for a GBA hook-up. I'll post impressions tonight if I get a chance, it'll be much later though, so JSnake and a few others can probably beat me to it. :p

Osuwari

ZealousD said:
Boost Guardian flashed on the screen when that was mentioned.

So hopefully boost guardian and spider ball guardian aren't as ridiculous anymore.

you're gonna cry because boost guardian is exactly the same as in the GC version in both veteran and hard modes. if you hated him there, you'll hate him now.

(unless they altered the games further from the jp releases but that seems very unlikely)

faridmon

I must be the only one who never enjoyed MP1, I have tried my hard.

the last collection bit just killed it for me:(

where have I done wrong?

Az987 said:
Dunno if this has been posted yet but @ Best Buy, if your a Reward Zone gamers club member and you print a coupon off the gamers club website, you get a 10$ gift card when u purchase Metroid Prime Trilogy. Its good from August 25th - September 6th
THANK YOU SIR!!!

You just saved me ten bucks :D

MWCShay

MP3 takes a steamy pile on MP2, a dinosaur sized steamy pile. MP1 was so awesome and MP2 was boring, tedious tripe. MP3 was awesome just a bit below MP1 in awesomeness.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
any word on whether or not the glitches that allowed for sequence breaking are still in?

Brandon F said:
My order MP1>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>3. MP3 was almost as big a dissapointment as Twilight Princess for me.
I wish every single disappointment in my life was as good as Twilight Princess and MP3. Because then, the disappointments would be better than any positive event that could ever occur.

bumpkin

MWCShay said:
MP3 takes a steamy pile on MP2, a dinosaur sized steamy pile. MP1 was so awesome and MP2 was boring, tedious tripe. MP3 was awesome just a bit below MP1 in awesomeness.
This seems to be the consensus. I'll definitely play through MP1 and MP3 again once I get the Trilogy. MP2 on the other hand, well, I'll give it a try (I only played the demo on 'Cube) but I'm not expecting to be amazed.

Nabs

bumpkin said:
This seems to be the consensus. I'll definitely play through MP1 and MP3 again once I get the Trilogy. MP2 on the other hand, well, I'll give it a try (I only played the demo on 'Cube) but I'm not expecting to be amazed.

mp2 is the best in the series. just make it through the intro section and you'll be fine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MWCShay said:

I agree completely.

DarkWish

I just pre-ordered this at GameStop. They mentioned that they may not get enough t-shirts and posters as they have pre-orders so I have to go early. Hopefully I can get those.

Top Bottom