• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Servbot24

Banned
The ambassador games actually run like shit though. I went back to Metroid Fusion on my N3DSXL and it's a blurry mess. Basically unplayable, total hack job. If they were to introduce a proper GBA VC on N3DS (which I can honestly see happening), it would have to run a lot better than those did.

"Unplayable", right...

No he's right. The ambassador GBA games are pretty shit. Blurry, no sleep mode, no miiverse, no save states, just an all-around embarrassment. The reason they never sold them is because it's a patchwork workaround at best.

I dunno, the 3DS XL family is my go to way for playing Game Boy Advanced games through non-emulated means, homebrew helps remove the dark filter and ghosting; the fact that it's native compatibility alongside the 1:1 pixel mode being the same size as an AGS-101 screen makes it more convenient than grabbing an actual GBA

I couldn't stand Prime 2,3, Hunters, or Federation Force. It's as simple as that. If he wants me to have faith in his ability to make Prime 4 something amazing then he's going to have to show me something first.
I doubt they had anything to show. Can't blame them after the FF reaction that they thought they had to make some type of announcement to safely announce Return of Samus. FF sold something like 4000 copies, IIRC? They basically threw money away.

Also, Prime 2 is excellent. Best Metroid game IMO. Unless you didn't really like Prime 1, either, you should try it again. I don't see how someone could love Prime 1, and then suddenly "can't stand" Prime 2. Prime 2 is just a harder, more complex, Prime 1. I'd argue the boss fights are much better, and the music and level design is just as good (if not, better as well).

Also, Prime 2 is the blue print of how to make a Metroid story. People pretend that a Metroid game with a good story doesn't exist. It does, and has since 2004. The Prime 2 story was full front and center, and great to follow.

i think it is okay, but in order to be ok you need friends.
beer if you want it to be great
Yeah, I just read that the game is apparently a real slog if you don't have a crew. Back to waiting for a deep discount.

On the subject of "best place to play GBA Metroid games," mGBA for Wii homebrew lets you play GBA games in 240p with 1:1 pixel mapping. Hook your Wii up to a good CRT via component cables and it looks really nice.

Haines

Banned
Just finished watching the treehouse showing.

What they showed looked great. I was happy with the 3d mentions as im a fan of that.

Will def give metroid fans something to play while they wait for mp4

MoonFrog

What they showed looked great. I was happy with the 3d mentions as im a fan of that.

That and Mario were the highlights of treehouse for me, personally. I thought it looked quite good.

The Lamp

No he's right. The ambassador GBA games are pretty shit. Blurry, no sleep mode, no miiverse, no save states, just an all-around embarrassment. The reason they never sold them is because it's a patchwork workaround at best.

I don't mind/notice any blur (then again, my system isn't homebrewed so I can't compare), I don't sleep my 3DS, I don't use miiverse to play a GBA game and I save the game just fine in Metroid Fusion. Guess I'm okay with this "embarrassment" lmao.

KingBroly

Banned
I am also curious how feeding the thing will change progression.

I forget, but was it ever not immediately obvious where the environment had changed in II or was it always like toxic sludge in the room you killed the Metroid in receded?

We had to backtrack for some of that right?

I wonder if it'll always be apparent after you do the DNA thing where the environment changed.

But yeah after seeing the maps and being corrected on my bad memory of power ups in II, I'm thinking this game will be closer to II than I first thought.

It looks like it's just a visual indicator of progression more than 'why is this shaking happening without a reason?' from the original.

While looking through footage I noticed this mysterious creature in the background of Area 4 outside the door leading to the first super missile expansion:
ComfortableAccurateBee-size_restricted.gif

All you see are its red eyes glowing and steam coming out its nostrils.

lAo1QPI.gif

Atrarock

kZieo2e.png

Apologies if it's hard to read, but this is my guess at the final inventory based on abilities we've seen, other items from Metroid II not yet shown, and inference from menu placement.

I don't think there's going to be a Speed Booster this time unless they've dropped one of the Metroid II abilities.
From the 2nd tree house play session
njxt5fj.png

Speed Booster probably wont be a thing, but I wont lose too much sleep over it.
Any upgrade closely related to each other are not as spaced apart as other upgrades. See the beams have a bit of a gap from the missiles and how the morph ball bomb has a gap above the varia suit?

I can say with confidence that there will be another suit upgrade. Probably the gravity suit, probably something new, who knows. It would be nice to know how Samus lost everything between this and Super Metroid...but I'm not holding my breath for any real explanation. Still hyped for this game regardless.

Opa-Pa

Still off topic, but is there a Metroid series OT or something similar? I tried searching the other day but I only found game specific OTs (had fun reading the Other M one lmao).

I just beat Fusion for the first time in like ten years and felt like talking about it, but I don't wanna derail this thread any further :(

Still off topic, but is there a Metroid series OT or something similar? I tried searching the other day but I only found game specific OTs (had fun reading the Other M one lmao).

I just beat Fusion for the first time in like ten years and felt like talking about it, but I don't wanna derail this thread any further :(

I'd be tempted to make one, though it'd take some time to gather all the info & make it look pretty. (The most important part, obviously.)

nubbe

10 years since the last game
Not a series with regular updates

MoonFrog

Every Metroid thread these days derails into general discussion of the series vaguely circling back to the OP :).

As to length...I can't imagine it'll be more than 4-8 hours for a "normal" playthrough.

Any upgrade closely related to each other are not as spaced apart as other upgrades. See the beams have a bit of a gap from the missiles and how the morph ball bomb has a gap above the varia suit?

I can say with confidence that there will be another suit upgrade. Probably the gravity suit, probably something new, who knows. It would be nice to know how Samus lost everything between this and Super Metroid...but I'm not holding my breath for any real explanation. Still hyped for this game regardless.

It seems like your aeon meter will also increase, possibly starting with 1000 and having increments of 50?

The game also has a aeon abilities tab right?

Opa-Pa

I'd be tempted to make one, though it'd take some time to gather all the info & make it look pretty. (The most important part, obviously.)

I wouldn't pressure you, but that'd be awesome. I think it'd be a nice thing to have now that Samus is back.

10 years since the last game
Not a series with regular updates

I hear you, but the fact that somebody will most likely get mad at this comment is proof that as a fanbase we're passionate enough to make it work either way!

Do we have word on how long or big the game will be?

We can only guess, but some users had made graphical comparisons of this remake's maps with the original's and it looks like we're getting a lot of new rooms and paths. If I had to guess, I'd give it around 6 hours for a first playthrough. But who knows.

RagnarokX

njxt5fj.png

I wonder how they'll handle the Metroid Queen if Power Bombs are in the game. Guess they'll just do what Other M and AM2R did.

Another question is how she lost all her shit between Zero Mission and Metroid 2. I guess with these guys around we can expect another rite of passage trial:
DS8M5zx.jpg

Do we have word on how long or big the game will be?
I compiled the incomplete maps from the demo and compared them to the Gameboy original and AM2R:
twJ7rh4.png

Based on these we can expect a substantially beefier game. On the 3rd save file they demonstrated they were at the beginning of Area 4 with 16 Metroids left to find with 1:04:47 on the clock and only 5.3% completion. 16 Metroids left to find is in line with how many left there were at Area 4 in the original game, so we can expect they are at least recreating the same number of areas and metroids per area, but greatly expanding the size and complexity of the areas. And possibly including additional areas that weren't in the original game ala Zero Mission.

TheMoon

I couldn't stand Prime 2,3, Hunters, or Federation Force. It's as simple as that. If he wants me to have faith in his ability to make Prime 4 something amazing then he's going to have to show me something first.

If you even hated Prime 2 and 3, I think this may as well be a lost cause for you. Come check back in after Prime 4 is out and you can try for yourself. He has nothing to prove really. It just didn't seem to click with you after the first one.

Do we know of any enhancements for "new 2ds/3ds" systems?

Nope, nothing said.

I wonder if they'll make the game less linear than the original, and add new bosses and areas like Metroid Zero Mission.

Already confirmed.

Luigiv

The ambassador games actually run like shit though. I went back to Metroid Fusion on my N3DSXL and it's a blurry mess. Basically unplayable, total hack job. If they were to introduce a proper GBA VC on N3DS (which I can honestly see happening), it would have to run a lot better than those did.
Hold down select as you boot the game.

TheMoon

Wasnt the guy that did the map design for SM on this i thought i heard that somewhere

No. Takehiko Hosokawa didn't work on Super. He worked on Metroid II, Zero Mission, Fusion, Other M. He did graphic design in II, systems director in Fusion and map design in ZM and was co-director in OM.

Rambler

I wonder if they'll make the game less linear than the original, and add new bosses and areas like Metroid Zero Mission.
I'm torn on the idea of new bosses because on one hand the game could use it but on the other hand Metroid 2 being so sparse really sold how dangerous the metroids were.

They were so good at depopulating the planet that the only non-Metroid boss that you found was hiding.

Mr Swine

Banned
I do hope they show the Parasite X at the end of he game after Samus leaves SR388. They start infecting all wildlife (Hornoad first) and I would love if the Chozo have a mother Brain somewhere in SR388 (progenitor?)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The bluriness I refer to is more motion blur, than resolution. Jumping around with Samus is a headache.

You can't fix that without hacking, the Ambassador games are just raw GBA ROMs and don't display properly on the 3DS screen. The blur is part of the package.

I'd never got around to playing a 2D Metroid before but the E3 sale seemed like a good opportunity to finally buy Super Metroid. At under £4 it would have been rude not to.

I'm only a few hours in but it's blown me away so far. The music and the atmosphere are incredible. If Samus Returns can even get close, I'm interested.

WonderzL

Banned
I'd never got around to playing a 2D Metroid before but the E3 sale seemed like a good opportunity to finally buy Super Metroid. At under £4 it would have been rude not to.

I'm only a few hours in but it's blown me away so far. The music and the atmosphere are incredible. If Samus Returns can even get close, I'm interested.

this is a very high bar! super metroid is the best game ever for some people

but yeah this will have some of what makes super metroid awesome, just more action-focused and with a smaller scale

StayDead

You know this may sound stupid but I still can't believe we're finally getting another Metroid and just how long it's been since the last. Looks so good!

GeekyDad

Yeah, same -- just finished watching last night. I'm quite delighted by the game, really. Never played the Gameboy game, so I'm not sure which features are new, but I loved a lot of the abilities they show off. The melee thing looks like a lot of fun.

Haines

Banned
Yeah, same -- just finished watching last night. I'm quite delighted by the game, really. Never played the Gameboy game, so I'm not sure which features are new, but I loved a lot of the abilities they show off. The melee thing looks like a lot of fun.

The melee thing seems exactly what Nintendo means when they say they don't want to make new entries in a franchise without some sort of new innovation.

I just hope they can balance it all game with different enemies that it doesn't become annoying to do all game.

Shiggy

They skipped the first part of that question

It started roughly two years ago, that's what they told Kotaku in another interview.

Sakamoto: It started about two years ago. I’ve been wanting to make a 2D Metroid game for quite a while, and I’ve been thinking about what sort of team I’d like to work with when creating such a game. At some point during all of this, I heard from our folks over at Nintendo of Europe that this developer MercurySteam was interested in making a remake of a classic Metroid game.

I heard MercurySteam and I knew they’d made some Castlevania titles, so I thought it was possible there was an affinity for our title as well. I said, ‘Well, man, I gotta meet these guys, let’s go to Spain.’ So we flew to Spain. MercurySteam had created a small prototype for me to take a look at. I looked at it, talked to them, got a sense of what their team was about, and said, ‘Yeah, let’s see what we can do together.’

Top Bottom