• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Toxi

Banned
Another question is how she lost all her shit between Zero Mission and Metroid 2.
I mean, does this really need to be answered?

Super Metroid directly follows Metroid 2 and nobody cared about Samus randomly losing her power ups between games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
?????

For us in the back of the class, is he backtracking how she was in other M or what?

I think he's basically saying that he gets what people hated and won't give us any more of it, even if it's his vision of Samus. I hope so anyway.

ReitStuff

In preparation for this, I just played Metroid: Zero Mission for the first time. Holy moly, what an amazing game. Can't wait for Samus Returns now!

I think he's basically saying that he gets what people hated and won't give us any more of it, even if it's his vision of Samus. I hope so anyway.
That's how I read it too. He can keep that other Samus.

In preparation for this, I just played Metroid: Zero Mission for the first time. Holy moly, what an amazing game. Can't wait for Samus Returns now!
It's the pinnacle of 2D Metroid for me (Even though Super Metroid has the better world design). Hopefully Samus Returns builds on it.

ReitStuff

On how criticism of Metroid: Other M has affected the depiction of Samus

Sakamoto: To be honest, as far as wanting to change that depiction of Samus, I made what I wanted to make. It did give me some momentum, I guess, and the ability to look at samus from a new viewpoint, and maybe reconsider what I wanted to show about her.

I have to admit I do not understand this quote. I think this may be a poor translation or something.

Is he saying that the criticism of Other M has caused him to change what he wanted to show about Samus, or that Other M was made as a result of him reconsidering what he wanted to show about her?

WonderzL

Banned
I have to admit I do not understand this quote. I think this may be a poor translation or something.

Is he saying that the criticism of Other M has caused him to change what he wanted to show about Samus, or that Other M was made as a result of him reconsidering what he wanted to show about her?

the former

Instro

Can't read the whole interview now, but I do like hearing that Sakamoto was one of the driving forces for this. If you consider the way he was talking back when Tomodachi released in 2014, it sounded like he was done with the franchise.

Savitar

I first played Samus Returns for the first time on a Christmas morning, I was listening to Babar as I destroyed the mutated metroids one by one.

Good times.

May this updated version kick all sorts of ass.

Neiteio

Watching the Treehouse footage (both segments, over and over) has me feeling like this might be, straight-up, the most fun-to-play 2D Metroid ever.

Everything just looks so fast, fluid and dynamic on a level that the previous entries couldn't touch. And the flow within each area is so on point.

I'm loving this fall's one-two punch of Samus Returns and Odyssey. And then Evil Within 2 is the creme filling in an otherwise Nintendo Oreo!

Watching the Treehouse footage (both segments, over and over) has me feeling like this might be, straight-up, the most fun-to-play 2D Metroid ever.

Everything just looks so fast, fluid and dynamic on a level that the previous entries couldn't touch. And the flow within each area is so on point.

I'm loving this fall's one-two punch of Samus Returns and Odyssey. And then Evil Within 2 is the creme filling in an otherwise Nintendo Oreo!

I was really put off by the mercury steam/3DS combo but the more I watch the gameplay vids, the more I think this game is EXACTLY what I want right now. I really didn't want to dust off my 3DS but the now I'm even considering playing through the original GB Metroid 2 on virtual console just to ride me over.

Opa-Pa

I'm honestly incredibly disappointed that Sakamoto left us in the dark about vital subjects such as whether Samus still has her trademark Beauty Mark™, sigh...

the former

I think Other M was onto something interesting about Samus. The idea of Samus being a more vulnerable person, and having PTSD-like symptoms, isn't a bad one. It would certainly make things more interesting than her just being a dude-bro 4000, but actually a girl. The problem was they completely ruined the execution. Her big breasts, high heels, complacency with Adam, her constantly being thrown out of her suit, made the whole affair come off sexist af. If Sakamoto is as proud and excited about Metroid as he is right now, I actually wouldn't mind him exploring a Metroid Other M 2. One with a cinematic story, and action like the previous, but with real exploration, analog, and the other flaws removed. There was a good game under Other M, and part of me wants to see that vision realized. As long as we have Prime 4, I wouldn't mind an offshoot like that.

I doubt it would ever be titled Other M 2, but a game just like the above, would be cool to see. As long as we have Prime 4, for a more authentic experience.

WonderzL

Banned
I think Other M was onto something interesting about Samus. The idea of Samus being a more vulnerable person, and having PTSD-like symptoms, isn't a bad one. It would certainly make things more interesting than her just being a dude-bro 4000, but actually a girl. The problem was they completely ruined the execution. Her big breasts, high heels, complacency with Adam, her constantly being thrown out of her suit, made the whole affair come off sexist af. If Sakamoto is as proud and excited about Metroid as he is right now, I actually wouldn't mind him exploring a Metroid Other M 2. One with a cinematic story, and action like the previous, but with real exploration, analog, and the other flaws removed. There was a good game under Other M, and part of me wants to see that vision realized. As long as we have Prime 4, I wouldn't mind an offshoot like that.

I doubt it would ever be titled Other M 2, but a game just like the above, would be cool to see. As long as we have Prime 4, for a more authentic experience.

I agree with you. Sakamoto is not the person to write a story about PTSD, though. IMO. That tutorial beginning with scientists condescendingly talking to you "yes, Samus, that's how you do it!" is so, so backwards regarding mental health and its treatments.

Atrarock

It seems like your aeon meter will also increase, possibly starting with 1000 and having increments of 50?

The game also has a aeon abilities tab right?
Definitely, but I don't know if it's D-pad controlled or touch controlled

Look at the top left of this screen shot
TCNvYp6.png

Banned
This game looks great but I have two reservations in the back of my mind preventing me from getting this so far:

1) It's a Mercury Steam game. Their castlevania game was trash.
2) Sakamoto lost all my trust after Other M. Only Tanabe has made good Metroid games over the past 15 years.

WonderzL

Banned
This game looks great but I have two reservations in the back of my mind preventing me from getting this so far:

2) Sakamoto lost all my trust after Other M. Only Tanabe has made good Metroid games over the past 15 years.

Giving that Metroid is a really short experience (~6 hours tops), don't you think that journalist's good reception is an OK indicator? Like, the latter half of the game could be trash, yes, but that's probably not the case. Also remember that Konami handled Castlevania. I trust Nintendo would do a better job handling the staff.

I agree with you. Sakamoto is not the person to write a story about PTSD, though. IMO. That tutorial beginning with scientists condescendingly talking to you "yes, Samus, that's how you do it!" is so, so backwards regarding mental health and its treatments.

Yeah definitely. I respect his vision, but he needs to hire a writer who gets what he wants to do, and flesh everything out for him. As we learned from Other M, the stuff in between matters A LOT.

The gameplay I saw made me feel comfortable with them making it. 2D Metroid has a template so as long as they stick to the script it should turn out well. With Nintendo over seeing this I'm thinking this will be another excellent installation in the 2D Metroid series.

BTW, how big is Mercury Steam now and do they only have the one team?

WonderzL

Banned
funny to think that castlevania "had to die" for samus returns to be a thing lol

The gameplay I saw made me feel comfortable with them making it. 2D Metroid has a template so as long as they stick to the script it should turn out well. With Nintendo over seeing this I'm thinking this will be another excellent installation in the 2D Metroid series.

BTW, how big is Mercury Steam now and do they only have the one team?

I think they have one HD team (that is working on this) and one 3DS team

Banned
Giving that Metroid is a really short experience (~6 hours tops), don't you think that journalist's good reception is an OK indicator? Like, the latter half of the game could be trash, yes, but that's probably not the case. Also remember that Konami handled Castlevania. I trust Nintendo would do a better job handling the staff.
Nintendo didn't help out Team Ninja much with Other M. That game had more problems than it's script.

Big Nikus

Another question is how she lost all her shit between Zero Mission and Metroid 2.

The answer to everything is : it's a videogame, it needs to be fun.
But my headcanon is that the Chozo upgrades are always temporary and eventually disappear after a few hours or days of use.

Forward

I... actually beat this way back when, as a kid. This has my interest piqued. I wonder how bad I am now compared to back then, and if I'll even notice, if this is given the typical QoL improvements of most modern remakes.

Can somebody explain to me what Mercury stream fucked up so badly? I watched reviews for the 2 castlevania games and although the second one seems like it had some bad stuff in it I still see it got ok reviews so it couldn't be as bad as some of you are making it out to be right?

Opa-Pa

Can somebody explain to me what Mercury stream fucked up so badly? I watched reviews for the 2 castlevania games and although the second one seems like it had some bad stuff in it I still see it got ok reviews so it couldn't be as bad as some of you are making it out to be right?

I think they were more or less critically well received except for LoS 2. Personally I thought LoS was one of the blandest games I had ever played, trying to do many things but not excelling at anything. Actually mechanically wise it felt pretty similar to Other M lol, not dumpster fires but extremely dull games (I don't remember LoS being even half as fundamentally flawed as OM though).

Tried the demo of Mirrors of Fate and it felt like a weird sidescrolling game that desperately wanted to be God of War and simply wasn't fun.

Generally my impression of MS before this is that they weren't the worst developers around, but they were incapable of making something worth my time. I'm definitely rooting for them this time though, and it looks like they're going to nail it at last.

WonderzL

Banned

they did a pretty bad 3ds game (which is the base of samus returns) so people are very skeptical

CamHostage

they did a pretty bad 3ds game (which is the base of samus returns) so people are very skeptical

And they have right to be, though Mirror of Fate has supposedly a weird development history and some clear checking-out on the parent company's part (whether the GoW combat in 2D was a good idea or not, it feels like a rushed project.) If Nintendo producers sit down with them, though, as seems to be the case from first impressions and GotS awards, I feel like MercurySteam has the ability to do a nice job with such a project.

This is my favorite part of that Kotaku interview:

On how this whole thing came together:

Sakamoto: It started about two years ago. I’ve been wanting to make a 2D Metroid game for quite a while, and I’ve been thinking about what sort of team I’d like to work with when creating such a game. At some point during all of this, I heard from our folks over at Nintendo of Europe that this developer MercurySteam was interested in making a remake of a classic Metroid game.

I heard MercurySteam and I knew they’d made some Castlevania titles, so I thought it was possible there was an affinity for our title as well. I said, ‘Well, man, I gotta meet these guys, let’s go to Spain.’ So we flew to Spain. MercurySteam had created a small prototype for me to take a look at. I looked at it, talked to them, got a sense of what their team was about, and said, ‘Yeah, let’s see what we can do together.’

I can just imagine hearing Sakamoto hearing about the rejected Metroid pitch and thinking let's just see what these guy's are about.

The the laissez faire approach to just hoping on a plane to visit them is great.

I think with Sakamoto's help they can make a solid Metroid.

gappvembe

I mean, does this really need to be answered?

Super Metroid directly follows Metroid 2 and nobody cared about Samus randomly losing her power ups between games.

Yet people cared how she "lost" (or couldn't) use them in Other M. If it was taken at face value that the ability couldn't but used or even justified it another way, I wonder if Other M would have been received as poorly?

Opa-Pa

Yet people cared how she "lost" (or couldn't) use them in Other M. If it was taken at face value that the ability couldn't but used or even justified it another way, I wonder if Other M would have been received as poorly?

Other M is a very special case because not only the explanation to her "losing them" sound silly in-universe, but it feels patronizing for the player and forces the game to be even more linear as you regain these abilities not by finding them yourself, but by activating via plot triggers.

That being said (and I'm noticing this is said very regularly lol), that's only one of many of the issues with Other M, so I don't think it'd have changed /that/ much.

Personally I don't really care about the excuses the games make. Hell, you can not make one at all and I won't mind, but if you go out of your way to make it plot-relevant, please for the love of everything sacred don't make it like in Other M.

Why it’s on the 3DS and not the Switch:

Sakamoto: That was really my decision. One of the big reasons for that is the 2DS/3DS family have two screens. That lent itself so well to the map screen functionality that I’ve been wanting to put into the game that we hadn’t seen before, the ability to have the map screen always on. So it was a very obvious choice.

Sakamoto ruining things again (kidding)

Sakamoto: That was really my decision. One of the big reasons for that is the 2DS/3DS family have two screens. That lent itself so well to the map screen functionality that I’ve been wanting to put into the game that we hadn’t seen before, the ability to have the map screen always on. So it was a very obvious choice.

It is kind of funny that traditional Metroid almost skipped Nintendo's dual-screen era that was perfect for displaying the map on the bottom screen like in the Wii U ports of Guacamelee! and Axiom Verge.

aadiboy

And yet it took 13 years after the release of the DS to put a new 2D Metroid game on a dual screen system.

RagnarokX

I think the basic thing to take from it is that he presented what he wanted to present, and Other M still had the same Samus, we just heard her thoughts. So he's reconsidered how much of Samus' thoughts we should hear.

Eh, what does that have to do with the PTSD? The PTSD came from Ridley murdering her parents when she was 3. That scientist isn't a psychologist and it's revealed that he's working for the evil faction within the Federation. There was nothing really wrong with the PTSD flashback, they just didn't explain Samus' backstory enough and most people didn't know about Ridley killing her parents or her having PTSD. If they just showed a full flashback to Samus' parents being murdered like in the commercial for the game everything would have been fine, but instead they decided to do an artsy fartsy technique where only Samus' form flashed back to the moment she was reliving in her head.

NaturalCooperativeBlesbok-size_restricted.gif

Samus' backstory would have been nice to see in game.

And for Samus' suit malfunctioning during the PTSD attack and when Adam shoots her, they could have explained the concept that Samus' suit requires her full concentration to manifest and protect her. It played a big part in Zero Mission, as well, but people didn't understand what was going on in that part.

Other M is a very special case because not only the explanation to her "losing them" sound silly in-universe, but it feels patronizing for the player and forces the game to be even more linear as you regain these abilities not by finding them yourself, but by activating via plot triggers.

That being said (and I'm noticing this is said very regularly lol), that's only one of many of the issues with Other M, so I don't think it'd have changed /that/ much.

Personally I don't really care about the excuses the games make. Hell, you can not make one at all and I won't mind, but if you go out of your way to make it plot-relevant, please for the love of everything sacred don't make it like in Other M.
Honestly, the conceit of limiting her powers because she's so powerful that she might accidentally kill everyone else is a pretty good idea. It's just that it doesn't make logical sense for things like the Varia suit. But one of the big things people always wonder is why she loses her upgrades, and it would have been just as bad if she didn't have them because she just forgot to bring them. And then on top of that they would have had to figure out a reason for upgrades for her suit to be on the Bottle Ship.

The Ridley PTSD doesnt even work in other M

Other M is
unfortunately
canon and takes place right before Fusion. She literally fought ridley countless other times and NOW she's suddenly freaking out?

MoonFrog

Sort of debating a Metroid to play...I played SM, Zero, and Prime 1-3 relatively recently though. I've also played SM and the Primes a lot.

Maybe I'll play Fusion but last time I tried the game flow really frustrated me. I think I've played it too many times for my personal fondness of it.

I think I'll also not replay II. I don't remember it very well and I want things to stay that way for this game coming up.

Hmmm...I've had morbid curiosity about Other M for some years now but sort of doubt it is worth it, even going in with incredibly low expectations. My main concern there is...I'm looking for a particular fix and I don't think Other M would deliver. On the other hand, rage at other elements would probably be lessened by "true" Metroid around the corner...

Hmmm...maybe I'll try Fusion again. Maybe my Metroid mood is better and I'll look on it in the lights of my earlier playthroughs...or maybe I'll do Super again...

RagnarokX

The Ridley PTSD doesnt even work in other M

Other M is
unfortunately
canon and takes place right before Fusion. She literally fought ridley countless other times and NOW she's suddenly freaking out?

PTSD isn't something that just goes away. It makes sense for her to have a relapse in Other M because she makes it clear in the introduction that she believes that she's finally seen the last of Ridley because she blew up the planet he was on. Even Batman would have a feakout.

cuate

Banned

eh. still would have preferred it on switch.

kunonabi

PTSD isn't something that just goes away. It makes sense for her to have a relapse in Other M because she makes it clear in the introduction that she believes that she's finally seen the last of Ridley because she blew up the planet he was on. Even Batman would have a feakout.

Exactly,every previous encounter ended with Ridley defeated but still alive. The Other M encounter is also coming off the heels of her almost dying at the hands of Mother Brain and then losing the baby Metroid.

Also the suit malfunctions because ridley is dragging her against the wall.

As for Adam giving her orders that makes enough sense in all honesty, outside of the varia suit, and is still more satisfying than fusion's approach. Hell, she activates several abilities without Adam's permission anyway. If Adam was a woman nobody would be bitching about it as much as they currently do.

Exodust

Banned
Nah, PTSD was brought up out of nowhere in Other M. There's no reason for it's inclusion at that point. Not belittling the condition but it was never a part of the series at all until that cut scene. So criticism of it, and the many idiotic story choices in that disaster, is valid.

KingBroly

Banned
Other M was too vague to be taken seriously at any point. Whenever it tried to do something, it always wanted you to fill in the gaps when the entire point was for it to fill in the gaps for you. Anyone trying to explain the game's logic is trying to apologize for the failure that it was.

Opa-Pa

The thing with the Bottle Ship is that while yes, in context Samus needing authorization to use her abilities makes sense (in some cases), but nobody forced them to use such a setting. If you write a story so that you're forcing yourself to implement mechanics that may come off as awkward or silly to players, you need to go back and edit things IMO.

Like I said, I kinda liked the idea of Samus having to restrict herself, but the way they executed it not only messed with the player's agency (ironic since Sakamoto's last game encouraged sequence breaking) plot and mechanics-wise, but in some places it was downright stupid and you could tell they ran out of excuses. I normally suspend disbelief when playing games, but the Varia Suit part was just bizarre.

Really, I think the way you unlock power ups in the game is bad enough as is, and the fact that it adds to the rampant sexism in the narrative is just the icing on the cake.

And the PTSD thing is weird. Technically it does make sense that a person would suffer it in her situation, but that doesn't mean they /had/ to add that scene. I mean, Fusion had an even more extreme Ridley comeback and Samus not only doesn't flinch, but she doesn't even mention it afterwards during her monologues. So having players experience that and then see a scene like that in its prequel is just ridiculous, and in the context of an overly fragile characterization of Samus it's simply too much.

I want to suggest Other M if only to read impressions lol. It's always kinda interesting to see someone experience it for the first time. Hell, I've been considering replaying it myself because why not, but I don't have that kind of time anymore, so I don't know.

That aside, when in doubt, go Super! I'm replaying ZM myself and playing it back to back with Fusion... It's absurd how much better it is IMO. Didn't remember the gap being so significant.

Top Bottom